PDA

View Full Version : Old fashion diner type resturants in Calgary?

JDMMAN
09-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Just wondering if there's any of these around in Calgary? The only one I think I've encountered (diner) was that in Edmonton -> Jonny Rocket's in West Ed.

After watching the food network "Diner's, Drive-in's and Dive's" its definately sparked an interest of checking out some good ol' fashion food. :drool:

Isaiah
09-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Red's and Diner Deluxe right off hand.

trieuth
09-07-2010, 12:26 AM
diner deluxe is awesome

buh_buh
09-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Diner Deluxe, Avenue Diner, Belmont Diner, Galaxie Diner (same menu as Belmont), Nellie's. The first two are my favourite, though Belmont and Galaxie are pretty delicious too.

you&me
09-07-2010, 06:41 AM
The DDD show on the Food Network isn't just about retro diners like JRs in Edmonton, but local, unique institutions. In addition to those mentioned already, I'd think these fit the bill -

Dairy Lane
Rocky's Burger Bus
Boogies Burgers
Tuby Dog
The Altadore
Angel's Drive-in
Spolumbos
Holy Smoke
The District (with their focus on bacon :drool: )

This could turn into a fun thread...

JDMMAN
09-07-2010, 09:27 AM
I've done Angel's Drive-In (Bowness right?)

Yes Spolumbos is a great place...

C B's is pretty good too.

Looks like most of these Diner's listed only do breakfast/lunch hours. I don't think we've got any 24hr or ones that serve dinner right?

know1edge
09-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by JDMMAN
I don't think we've got any 24hr or ones that serve dinner right?

yup, Denny's.

:(

JDMMAN
09-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Denny's :barf:

msommers
09-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Avenue Diner is my fav place to go for breakfast. Diner Deluxe I didn't think was that great. Red's is pretty good. Deerhead Cafe as well, but its been awhile since I've eaten there.

There is also that burger place just south of the zoo across the river in Inglewood. Everytime I pass it I think I should eventually try it but always forget.

swak
09-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Dont know the address, but 3-4 blocks from the IKO Plant is a chinese 'diner' joint... Always good for ginger beef and a beer on any ole lunch breaks.

Cafe 1886 (Buffalo Cafe) in Eau Claire Market

A790
09-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Avenue Diner is my fav place to go for breakfast. Diner Deluxe I didn't think was that great. Red's is pretty good. Deerhead Cafe as well, but its been awhile since I've eaten there.

There is also that burger place just south of the zoo across the river in Inglewood. Everytime I pass it I think I should eventually try it but always forget.
Kanes Harley Diner. It's... ok.

Guillermo
09-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by swak

Cafe 1886 (Buffalo Cafe) in Eau Claire Market

We tired 1886 once and thought it was TERRIBLE - will never go back. First of all, everything is way overpriced (about double what you would pay elsewhere) - I think I paid $15 for 2 eggs, potatoes, and toast (NO MEAT). Second, the potatoes weren't fully cooked and were hard. Third, the eggs were PALE as all hell (sign of very, very cheap eggs). Fourth,

Vagabond142
09-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Diner Deluxe and Dairy Lane are the two I've visited myself. For the "classic" style of diner, Diner Deluxe is all the way. They even got the classic checkerboard tiles, although no roller skating waitresses (yet). Dairy Lane is the kinda place you go for a good sandwich and great company, because it's a small, tight place that has good heart and good staff :D

sillysod
09-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Really dirty diner, but awesome grub late at night is Blackfoot Truck stop.

A good diner MUST be dirty, like a good pub :drool:

Ven
09-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Deerhead Cafe on Edmonton Trail.

Tik-Tok
09-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Marv's Classic Soda Shop in Black Diamond

Kritafo
09-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Marv's Classic Soda Shop in Black Diamond

I was going to mention this place as well, it's really worth the trip they have carbonated ice cream and have all the traditional malt shop stuff.

msommers
09-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Grizzly Paw in Canmore also makes their own sodas, beers and beer-infused hot sauces!

Guillermo
09-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Grizzly Paw in Canmore also makes their own sodas, beers and beer-infused hot sauces!

i love drinking their beer :drool:

you&me
09-18-2010, 01:14 PM
The Grizzly Paw has great beer!

Too bad most of their food is crap :(

Unknown303
09-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by trieuth
Diner Deluxe is awesome

Diner Deluxe is my favorite by far. Also helps that it's so damn close.

Guillermo
09-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Diner Deluxe is great, but I haven't been there in like 7 years because I don't like waiting in lines for food. Seriously, fuck that.

Guillermo
09-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Oh, and 99th Avenue Cafe has the best breakfast south of Memorial (HANDS DOWN). They also make a mean burger.

Dodobird
09-18-2010, 08:22 PM
It's not such a diner per-se, but Boogie's Burgers on Edmonton Trail has a sweet old school vibe to it, and make by far my favorite burger in Calgary.

Guillermo
09-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Not a diner, but greasy and good: Rocky's Burger Bus.

Pretty good burgers (they are made with fresh beef), but you can still make a better burger at home using just beef, salt, and pepper.

Vagabond142
09-18-2010, 09:14 PM
I think it's been mentioned already, but C&B burger up at 14th St NW and Northmount is awesome grub. A little pricey, but seriously mouthwateringly good. I put them on par with Peters' Drive In for burger quality (ie stonkingly good). The swiss mushroom melt = godly from C&B

Guillermo
09-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
I think it's been mentioned already, but C&B burger up at 14th St NW and Northmount is awesome grub. A little pricey, but seriously mouthwateringly good. I put them on par with Peters' Drive In for burger quality (ie stonkingly good). The swiss mushroom melt = godly from C&B

Did they recently change management? I ate at CB's Hamburger Inn once and would NEVER return. I don't think I've had a worse burger EVER, except for Bob's in the SE. The meat patty was terrible, and was most certainly the yellow-boxed No Name kind from Superstore. Blech. But maybe they changed owners and drastically improved the food?

Guillermo
09-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Chuckwagon Cafe in Turner Valley has great breakfasts. I've heard the lunch/dinner menu is great too, but I've never had anything from it.

Vagabond142
09-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

Did they recently change management? I ate at CB's Hamburger Inn once and would NEVER return. I don't think I've had a worse burger EVER, except for Bob's in the SE. The meat patty was terrible, and was most certainly the yellow-boxed No Name kind from Superstore. Blech. But maybe they changed owners and drastically improved the food?

Hrmmm... I last ate there when my buddy graduated University this year... soo.... 4 months ago approximately? (shrug) maybe I just got them on a good day? :nut: :dunno:

Zero102
09-22-2010, 12:52 PM
CB's is pretty low end food but for some reason they are addictive. They are a bit over-priced but I like to go there somewhat frequently.

I don't think I would consider them a must-go kind of place but they get my business :)

Guillermo
10-02-2010, 02:47 PM
don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but:

KEITH'S DELI

i like the ruben with double meat, but everything else is awesome too.

:drool: :drool: :drool: