PDA

View Full Version : Huge increase in traffic

jazzyb
09-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Anyone else noticed a huge increase in traffic over the past week between 7-9am.

On deerfoot around douglas dale used to be a free flow to glenmore, today it was backedup all the way to McKenzie, and McLeoud trail was horrible, what took me 30min two weeks ago took me an hour today. OUCH

AE92_TreunoSC
09-07-2010, 08:15 AM
almost like school started again

HyperZell
09-07-2010, 08:26 AM
rofl.

SilverGS
09-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

Yup.. tis an annual event

jazzyb
09-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

yeah what i was thinking, happens every year.

pf0sh0
09-07-2010, 08:30 AM
lol...

FraserB
09-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Didn't really see anything different at around 730, no stop and go from the SW (Rockyview Hospital) along Glenmore and then Crowchild.:dunno:

beyond_ban
09-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Takes me an extra 15-20 minutes in the morning, but getting home isn't much worse. I hate the clusterfuck that they call Crowchild going through Kensington.

adam c
09-07-2010, 10:16 AM
traffic was bad this morning on macleod due to a collision, made me 15 minutes late for work

arian_ma
09-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
Takes me an extra 15-20 minutes in the morning, but getting home isn't much worse. I hate the clusterfuck that they call Crowchild going through Kensington.
That road is on my "avoid at all costs" list. Traffic added an extra 10 mins to my drive this morning.

Tomaz
09-07-2010, 10:59 AM
I noticed it last week. My commute has increased from 30-40 mins to 50mins - 1h15m.

This morning was particularly bad from 22x to Barlow (my turn off). I never thought school opening would make such a difference. It's not like grade 3 students drive to school :nut: .

beyond_ban
09-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

That road is on my "avoid at all costs" list. Traffic added an extra 10 mins to my drive this morning.

I wish i could, but when you're going from the Crowfoot area to near Mackenzie Town i dont think i have much of a choice

ercchry
09-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by adam c
traffic was bad this morning on macleod due to a collision, made me 15 minutes late for work

:werd:

at 42nd st?

i was trying to get across mcleod and they had a fire truck in the middle of the intersection with cones around it stretching out another 30ft or so.... and all the firemen were just standing there watching the tow truck driver hook up the car... like come on, if you are done your job MOVE! they blocked one and a half lanes of traffic on 42nd...

dino_martini
09-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz
I noticed it last week. My commute has increased from 30-40 mins to 50mins - 1h15m.

This morning was particularly bad from 22x to Barlow (my turn off). I never thought school opening would make such a difference. It's not like grade 3 students drive to school :nut: .

I think alot of people take the summer off to spend with their kids, then when the kids go back they go back to work. More people commuting in, etc.

jazzyb
09-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

:werd:

at 42nd st?

i was trying to get across mcleod and they had a fire truck in the middle of the intersection with cones around it stretching out another 30ft or so.... and all the firemen were just standing there watching the tow truck driver hook up the car... like come on, if you are done your job MOVE! they blocked one and a half lanes of traffic on 42nd...

i also witnessed this, thought i'd take 4th st as a short cut, the turn to get onto Mcloud by the husky took 15minutes

Euro838
09-07-2010, 11:21 AM
LOL, the recession is over!!! Everyone has jobs paying six figures and can afford to drive and park downtown! Yay! :bigpimp:

FYI, not sure if anyone parks in the Sear's parking lot at North Hill Mall, but the patrol dude there called like 3 CPA cars to give people tickets.

I thought Sear's was allowing people to park there for like $50 a month or something?

Also, anyone want to guess what traffic's going to be like for the first snow fall? haha!

sillysod
09-07-2010, 11:25 AM
I personally really enjoy how they paved only 2 lanes on deerfoot and then just fucking left it.

My Audi scrapes when I have to exit off so I had to park it and jack a work vehicle until the finish it. :banghead:

Feruk
09-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Just started work in Red Deer today. "Traffic" here means there is at least one car in front of you at an intersection. Half way across the city takes me 7 minutes. Whazam!

speedog
09-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Euro838
LOL, the recession is over!!! Everyone has jobs paying six figures and can afford to drive and park downtown! Yay! :bigpimp:

FYI, not sure if anyone parks in the Sear's parking lot at North Hill Mall, but the patrol dude there called like 3 CPA cars to give people tickets.

I thought Sear's was allowing people to park there for like $50 a month or something?

Also, anyone want to guess what traffic's going to be like for the first snow fall? haha! A simple phone call this morning to North Hill Centre's customer service revealed that there is no pay parking anywhere in the mall's parking lot (including the Sears end) and that signs are posted that the parking lot is for the use of North Hill Centre patrons only and that Calgary Parking Services is doing several patrols a day to ticket vehicles that have been parked there for more than several hours. Guess this means that SAIT students can a chance at parking for free in North Hill Centre's parking lots, but will probably pay dearly at some point.

speedog
09-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Regular 32km one-way commute this morning north central to extreme SW took my regular 32 minutes. Traffic was much heavier, but was still flowing as good as any of the days in July or August.

Unknown303
09-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Still took me 5 minutes to get to work this morning. :clap:

Masked Bandit
09-07-2010, 01:46 PM

No but their mommies do. I make that same drive (exit on 24 St though) and it starting backing up last week. Time to start work before 7:00 I guess.

Tik-Tok
09-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Euro838

When SAIT opened up the new parkade, they went to the City complaining that Sears was illegally charging money for students to park, since there's a special zoning required for it.

SAIT doesn't like competition.

star-k
09-07-2010, 09:50 PM
SAITS parking is free.. heres how...

If I needed to stay at school to finish a long assignment or whatever, I would park at the heritage building, the one that is closest to the small parking lot, that has about 80 stalls. Now the rate to park there is very expensive.. no worries..
because if you park there until 10:30pm, the gate will open and you can drive away your car for free. but you'd have to somehow stay around school until 10:30... I did this a few times 2 years ago...

There were days that I had to stay for such a long period of time.. but it was nice that I can access that parking quickly at night and then immediately drive home... THe only draw back is... again 10:30. but you get free parking for the entire day!!

oh another thing, you MUST remove your vehilcle by 11:00 pm because i believe security will tow away any overnight vehicles!!

logix
09-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by star-k
SAITS parking is free.. heres how...

If I needed to stay at school to finish a long assignment or whatever, I would park at the heritage building, the one that is closest to the small parking lot, that has about 80 stalls. Now the rate to park there is very expensive.. no worries..
because if you park there until 10:30pm, the gate will open and you can drive away your car for free. but you'd have to somehow stay around school until 10:30... I did this a few times 2 years ago...

There were days that I had to stay for such a long period of time.. but it was nice that I can access that parking quickly at night and then immediately drive home... THe only draw back is... again 10:30. but you get free parking for the entire day!!

oh another thing, you MUST remove your vehilcle by 11:00 pm because i believe security will tow away any overnight vehicles!!

Same deal with the new parking structure under the soccer field.. leave at 10:30 and it's free. Stayed longer too and had no problems.

Pollywog
09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
I was originally going to attribute this to the usual end of summer phase, but I noticed significantly more traffic today from Douglasdale - Deerfoot - Barlow - Foothills Industrial. Took me more than twice as long to get to work...

:dunno:

Xtrema
09-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Actual less traffic coming down 10 st this morning around 7:45ish

black13
09-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

I still don't understand why the only highway going north/south on the west end has 4 lights right in the middle of it.

TYMSMNY
09-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by black13

I still don't understand why the only highway going north/south on the west end has 4 lights right in the middle of it.

overpasses are on their way... then we'll see that area turn into circus.

rage2
09-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
overpasses are on their way... then we'll see that area turn into circus.
Where did you hear about this? I have yet to hear of any plans to remove those lights.

beyond_ban
09-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Where did you hear about this? I have yet to hear of any plans to remove those lights.

I haven't heard anything either.... If they do decide to proceed to remove those lights that area is going to be a FUCKING mess during the construction. Where will they route cars? I think my only option would be to take 84 st to 17th ave so i could hop onto Stoney. Hello hour of transit :facepalm:

Tomaz
09-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

No but their mommies do. I make that same drive (exit on 24 St though) and it starting backing up last week. Time to start work before 7:00 I guess.

Really? Kids don't take the bus to school anymore?

Either way, i don't like waking up 30 minutes earlier. Makes me turn into Mr. Grumpy-Pants.

Seeing you take the same route, is there any detours that work?

ercchry
09-08-2010, 11:35 AM

Really? Kids don't take the bus to school anymore?

Either way, i don't like waking up 30 minutes earlier. Makes me turn into Mr. Grumpy-Pants.

Seeing you take the same route, is there any detours that work?

i would tell you but i do not full understand your route since 22x does not intersect with barlow...

Tik-Tok
09-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

i would tell you but i do not full understand your route since 22x does not intersect with barlow...

I'm sure he meant "This morning was particularly bad on Deerfoot from 22x to Barlow (my turn off)"

88CRX
09-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Holy christ was Deerfoot bad this morning :banghead:

Backed up into the traffic circle.... as bad as it gets during a winter storm! WTF

ercchry
09-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I'm sure he meant "This morning was particularly bad on Deerfoot from 22x to Barlow (my turn off)"

makes sense... my favorite route on really shitty days when i was in cranston still was as follows

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Cranston+Blvd+SE+N&daddr=50.9052908,-113.9895984+to:50.92027,-113.98157+to:50.94228,-114.00011+to:114+Ave+SE&geocode=FRCcCAMd3qE0-Q%3BFcrACAMdIqg0-SlPpfpzyndxUzGTbB4ZzL3rmA%3BFU77CAMdfsc0-Snl2NBvo3dxUzERnCikLwsCnQ%3BFUhRCQMdEn80-SnjFTpxFHdxUzHabiQms7WXtQ%3BFQFxCQMdK8c0-Q&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=4&sz=17&via=1,2,3&sll=50.949059,-113.982478&sspn=0.003582,0.009645&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

TYMSMNY
09-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2

read it somewhere on google... I know, not the best source of info. It would link kensington to memorial with free flowing traffic.

Not a city planner myself but be one crazy reroute for construction but it's got to be done. Probably divert traffic to 14th/memorial/kensington.

jazzyb
09-09-2010, 10:07 AM
who was part of the gong show on deerfoot by from McKenzie to Glenmore today?

18 st. by river bend had an accident and was backed up all the way to the 711 in douglas dale.

all at 7am

clem24
09-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Crowchild south @ Stoney has been agonizing after they opened the bridge section and reprogrammed the lights... It's faster now to take the exit @ Stoney southbound, get off on Tuscany, go back up Stoney northbound, and rejoin Crowchild. Then there's the clusterfuck that is 24th Ave and Crowchild. This morning it was backed up just past Shag!!! It seems like rain also makes Calgarians drive slower. WHY?!?!?!?

phreezee
09-09-2010, 02:45 PM
I feel your pain, Winnipeg drivers drive faster through snow....

adam c
09-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by clem24
... It seems like rain also makes Calgarians drive slower. WHY?!?!?!?

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=307286

88CRX
09-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by jazzyb
who was part of the gong show on deerfoot by from McKenzie to Glenmore today?

18 st. by river bend had an accident and was backed up all the way to the 711 in douglas dale.

all at 7am

Today?!!!

It's been stupid all week. My commute went from 30 minutes to an hour this week :banghead: :guns: :banghead: :guns: :banghead: :guns:

F..... M..... L

AndyL
09-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Noticed the same increase - 16th has been stupid going west to east the past two weeks (even worse than usual school days) I'm running a good 20 minutes longer than last year...

But I figured it out today - when I saw sarcee backed up from 16th ave all the way up the hill and the right lane turning onto memorial backed up all the way to home road... Apparently a few people are popping over into the NW to avoid the LRT construction in the SW... :banghead:

hampstor
09-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Oddly enough... with the changes they've made so far to beddington onto deerfoot, my commute actually is faster. Once they finish lane under 64th, even faster still!!:love:

rc2002
09-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Noticed the same increase - 16th has been stupid going west to east the past two weeks (even worse than usual school days) I'm running a good 20 minutes longer than last year...

But I figured it out today - when I saw sarcee backed up from 16th ave all the way up the hill and the right lane turning onto memorial backed up all the way to home road... Apparently a few people are popping over into the NW to avoid the LRT construction in the SW... :banghead:

I did exactly that today. Instead of taking Bow Trail or 17th Avenue into downtown, I jumped onto 16th Avenue from Sarcee. It added 12 km to my commute, but it was still faster.

It's all because the city has made a mess out of any road related to the west LRT. They've given priority to the wrong traffic in the Bow Trail/17th/Sarcee area.

Just wait until University students start driving to school. Then there won't be any good east-west routes in Calgary. And when the first snowfall hits, we're totally fucked.