PDA

View Full Version : Run-Flat Tire repair

JordanEG6
09-07-2010, 08:34 AM
I pierced a run-flat a couple days ago and I was wondering where I can get it fixed.

I had JUST replaced my 2 rear tires a couple months ago, and I really don't want to replace one of them again, so if I can get it repaired somewhere, that'd be great.

Anyone?

G
09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
So glad I am out of the BMW. Can't stand the RFTs. Apparently they cannot be repaired only replaced. It might have something to do with liability issues. Am I right Tire Bob?

InRich
09-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Yea Run flats CAN NOT be repaired, they have to be replaced. My new X5 didnt even come with a spare tire. its such BS

benyl
09-07-2010, 03:04 PM
I love mis-information...

http://www.wheels.ca/Columns/article/268917

Bridgestone also insists on the same patch-plug procedures to keep the tire's warranty in effect. The tire maker also only allows repairs to the tread area. Another issue is that there must be at least 1.6 mm of tread depth left.

However, any repair to a speed-rated tire means "the rating is void if the tire is repaired, retreaded, damaged, abused, or otherwise altered from its original condition. Thereafter, it should be treated as a non-speed-rated tire. Improper repair voids the tire limited warranty."

So it is time for a new tire if you have a performance car. To again quote the Bridgestone repair brochure, "To avoid reducing the speed capability of the vehicle, replace a speed-rated tire only with another tire having at least the same speed rating. It is the `top speed' of the `slowest' tire on the vehicle which limits the vehicle's top speed without tire failure."

Run-flat tire repairs require going to Bridgestone Firestone Run-Flat Certified Retailers. These retailers "have the necessary equipment and are specially trained to properly mount and demount RFT tires and to handle TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems) devices. Conventional mounting equipment may irreparably damage RFT tires and an improper repair is unsafe and will void the limited warranty."

"Bridgestone RFT tires are not repairable in any of the following situations," according to the repair manual: "If the tire was operated with inflation pressure less than 15 p.s.i. (100 kPa); abrasion or other damage is present on the exterior tread, sidewall or bead areas; abrasion, wrinkling, or separation is present on the tire interior and finally any condition or damage is present that disqualifies repair of a conventional tire."

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/10/06/feature-can-you-repair-run-flat-tires.htm

Mark Kuykendall, Bridgestone’s Engineering Manager for Bridgestone Light Vehicle and Truck Tires, explained, “Initially, we didn’t want the tires repaired because we didn’t have sufficient field data.”

In other words, although the tires had been tested in controlled situations, there wasn’t data from thousands of applications over time upon which to base general conclusions concerning the effectiveness of run-flat tire repairs. Being cautious, Bridgestone requested that retailers fit a new tire, and send damaged/worn tires back for inspection, ultimately determining that the tires can safely be repaired.

Consequently, Bridgestone issued a Repair Procedure in May, 2005 for run-flat tires.

The procedure specifies that the inside of the tire must be professionally inspected (which means the tire must be off the wheel), and if it passes, then a patch/plug combination will effect a satisfactory repair.

Aleks
09-07-2010, 03:26 PM
First thing I did when I got my car that came with run flats was swap them out for normal tires. Car drives much better. Portable tire repair kits that come with compressors are $20-200 depending on how fancy you wanna get. It's not just BMW anymore, Toyota and Honda are starting to come without spares.

Redlyne_mr2
09-07-2010, 03:53 PM
All the M cars comes with portable tire inflation kits. We won't repair run flats for several reasons including liability however there are shops that will.

tirebob
09-07-2010, 04:48 PM
The tire itself is repairable, but the problem is that being a runflat, most people do not remove them as soon as the tire develops a leak, and driving on a runflat without air will render it unrepairable. Even though the tire can be drivin on with no air for a limited period of time, it still destroys its structural integrity. That is why I find them to be one of the biggest POS gimmicks going. It guarantees a tire sale because the cars do not have spares so you are stuck driving on it by no choice of your own... Dumb...

InRich
09-07-2010, 09:36 PM
so guys what should I do if I get a flat tire half way out to fucking BC? and I got no spare?

dooman24
09-07-2010, 09:54 PM
drive it.. to the nearest.. shop..

that's why it's called a run flat tire.. so you can drive on it.. and that's why they dont give you a spare
i think they were a speed limit recommanded also..

InRich
09-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by dooman24
drive it.. to the nearest.. shop..

that's why it's called a run flat tire.. so you can drive on it.. and that's why they dont give you a spare
i think they were a speed limit recommanded also..

yea yea I assumed that....

its 80km max limit

TRAVEL
220 km with 2 ppl
150 with 4 ppl
50 with 4 ppl + cargo.

so what happens if I have 4 people and I'm in the middle of no where.

benyl
09-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Yer fucked.

It is the price you pay for owning a BMW.

78si
09-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by InRich
so guys what should I do if I get a flat tire half way out to fucking BC? and I got no spare?

For EMERGENCY road flats, I plan on buying a ghetto plug repair system and a 12v compressor. You can also get the "fix a flat" in an aerosol can, which makes a slimy mess inside of your tire. Make sure the "slime" can be easily cleaned for a proper repair.
The key is not to drive on a flat tire, run flat or not.

http://www.slime.com/product/871/Quick-Spair.html?utm_source=slime.com&utm_medium=Banner&utm_term=Quick%2BSpair&utm_campaign=Featured%2BProducts

tirebob
09-07-2010, 10:25 PM

That right there is one of the major problems... You get a flat believing you are good to drive the the nearest repair facility. Well you end up maybe in Golden or Sicamous or what-have-you only to find out that because you drove on the tire it can't be fixed. But wait!!! It gets worse... No shop that is not a major center (Vancouver, Calgary Edmonton etc) will not have run flats readily in stock let alone be close enough to a warehouse that can get it to them in a day or two. Then you find out that after waiting that long, Mr. Joe Schmoe tire shop doesn't even have a machine capable of handling run falt tires and ends up either telling you he can't do it, or even better he fucks up your rim and tire even more! In the end, you end up calling a tow truck to haul your car to the nearest place that can handle it...

Sound like fun? Not at all! Welcome to the gimmick of run flat tires... Do yourself a favour. Get rid of the fucking things and buy a spare. That or get a good roadside assistance membership and call for a tow as soon as your tire loses air...

InRich
09-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Can I equip my car with a spare?

TYMSMNY
09-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Yea, you'll just have to put it in the trunk. Buy a steel rim + 1 tire.

As for the spare, you can use the sealant and stuff no? I bought couple of cans + inflator just in case I run in trouble at 3am and 200kms out.

I decided not to use RFTs and instead take my chances. They are so much nosier and more $$ to replace anyways. PLUS... roadside will save the day, I hope.

Redlyne_mr2
09-08-2010, 12:52 AM

yea yea I assumed that....

its 80km max limit

TRAVEL
220 km with 2 ppl
150 with 4 ppl
50 with 4 ppl + cargo.

so what happens if I have 4 people and I'm in the middle of no where.
Call BMW roadside and they'll flat bed you. I'm hoping you had your BMW assist setup as well in case of emergency.

InRich
09-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Call BMW roadside and they'll flat bed you. I'm hoping you had your BMW assist setup as well in case of emergency.

yea I did.... i think this RFT is a buncha fucking BS.... if I didnt love the looks of BMW I woulda walked away right after they informed me of that shit.

Redlyne_mr2
09-08-2010, 08:01 AM
lol yep... keeps a heavy donut out of the back of the truck though... 50/50 weight is what it's all about.

tirebob
09-08-2010, 08:11 AM
lol yep... keeps a heavy donut out of the back of the truck though... 50/50 weight is what it's all about.

50/50 weight is not going to be thrashed by a spare in the trunk weighing 40 to 50 lbs... It is my fat ass up front that is going to do that! lol

benyl
09-08-2010, 09:04 AM

Come on... haha

Put the battery back at the front then if that is the issue.

It must also be why the flash light is no longer included in the glovebox... weight distribution...

SkittleFreak
09-08-2010, 09:28 AM
The shop i was at repairs run flat tires. Why? Because the average driver doesn't exceed high end speeds. a patch/plug patch from the inside works fine.

Shtity thing is you have to have the right equipment or it damages the rim face.

Aleks
09-08-2010, 11:07 AM
So how come the Honda Fit doesn't come with a spare tire anymore, or what about the Toyota Rav4? :nut:

I'm sure this is a move towards having people to as little as possible on their cars. Who wants to be bothered changing a tire on the side of the road and getting run over by a minivan right?

benyl
09-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
So how come the Honda Fit doesn't come with a spare tire anymore, or what about the Toyota Rav4? :nut:

It is so they can maintain the 70/30 weight distribution so that it doesn't under steer tooo badly in the corners!

Redlyne_mr2
09-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

I'm sure this is a move towards having people to as little as possible on their cars. Who wants to be bothered changing a tire on the side of the road and getting run over by a minivan right?
Yah thats pretty much it, I was just being sarcastic about the weight distribution comment :). Try to find someone who's actually changed there own tire on the side of the road, it's next to impossible.

kevie88
09-08-2010, 12:16 PM
I sometimes stop and change tires for people if I have time and it looks like they need it (and it's somewhat safe to do so).

Karma + one zillion

InRich
09-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Yah thats pretty much it, I was just being sarcastic about the weight distribution comment :). Try to find someone who's actually changed there own tire on the side of the road, it's next to impossible.

I did.... on deerfoot, in the middle of a morning rush. took me 10 min.... and I would like to be able to do that when I'm fucked in the middle of no where.

The thing that does pissed me off a bit, is BMW only tells you that u have no spare once your pretty much out the door. "oh and btw, you dont have a spare" me "wha?" yeaaaaaaa their run flat tires sport. me mmmk

tomt64
09-08-2010, 01:55 PM
We patch rft at lexus no problem. Obviously sidewall damage will require a new tire.

Xtrema
09-08-2010, 04:51 PM
The thing that does pissed me off a bit, is BMW only tells you that u have no spare once your pretty much out the door. "oh and btw, you dont have a spare" me "wha?" yeaaaaaaa their run flat tires sport. me mmmk

I have not met a BMW salesman that doesn't show you no spare and have a battery instead in the trunk for the 50/50 claim.

Then comes the speech on the importance of having wheel + tire insurance because those run flats cannot be repaired and are expensive to replace.