PDA

View Full Version : What??!! I'm rocking a Hyundai?

banned3x
09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I needed to go to Calgary for the weekend so I rented a pos economy car and I got a 2011 Hyundai sonata and that shot was freaking sexy!!! Iistaken it for a BMW / Lexus. Holy shit I broke alot of necks this weekend people asked me what car it was etc.. Heres some pics has Bluetooth, iPod aux, and xm sat. All standard lol. Kudos to Hyundai I'm going there today to see pricing for a commuter. It had no guts but had looks haha
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/91latintegra/acda725f.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/91latintegra/32cecd56.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/91latintegra/b2e56e28.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/91latintegra/e4f58c75.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/91latintegra/1935df4d.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/91latintegra/fa978fd8.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/91latintegra/c04d4b53.jpg

JfuckinC
09-07-2010, 12:54 PM
It's like a CLS wanna be.. I saw one the other day and thought it was sharp!

n1zm0
09-07-2010, 01:03 PM
i want one for a road trip to vancouver! when they have the turbo models come out that is.. :D

Phenix
09-07-2010, 01:06 PM
ya the turbo model is gonna be pretty sweet.

bituerbo
09-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Passat CC

HiSpec
09-07-2010, 03:16 PM
which rental company did you go with?

Redlyne_mr2
09-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Who mistook that car for a BMW? Lexus Es350 maybe.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Front end doesnt sit well with me.

Xtrema
09-07-2010, 03:48 PM
So far all the Sonata I see on Calgary's roads are rentals.

LEGiiT
09-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
So far all the Sonata I see on Calgary's roads are rentals.
+1

revelations
09-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Even KIA is making some new sharp looking vehicles, the 2011 optima caught my eye.

http://www.autoweek.com/storyimage/CW/20100401/NEWYORK/100409992/2011-Kia-Optima.jpg

Godfuader
09-07-2010, 05:45 PM
I got an invitation from Hyundai Motor America for a Sonata Event.

You’ve been selected to be our guest at the Hyundai Sonata Uncensored Tour—an exclusive, no-charge driving event where you can test the all-new 2011 Sonata against its top competitors at Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum in New York, NY, September 18-19, 2010.
Originally I brushed it off...maybe I should check it out. Wonder who they will bring as its competitors?

01RedDX
09-07-2010, 07:01 PM

A790
09-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Hyundai/Kia have stepped their game up. I don't know if I'd ever drop 35k+ on a Hyundai/Kia though...

banned3x
09-07-2010, 08:56 PM
I rented with enterprise. And that model was 25k.

94boosted
09-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Phenix
ya the turbo model is gonna be pretty sweet.

:werd:

Big props to Hyundai for making another good looking car that has a good powerplant (turbo model), looks good and most importantly is priced agressivley when compared to it's boring competitors Honda and Toyota.

Is there anyone else who would like to see Hyundai and Kia de-throne Honda & Toyota who have been selling us the same boring crap for the last 20 years. Forcing them to build funner and better priced vehicles.

slinkie
09-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Doesn't the turbo sonata boost at 19psi...even an sti is like 14.5 stock

Redlyne_mr2
09-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
Doesn't the turbo sonata boost at 19psi...even an sti is like 14.5 stock
What's that have to do with anything? Just means it more than likely has a small turbo on it. :)

luxor
09-09-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm just going to say it. It's still a Hyundai; a piece of shit Korean car. I don't care how competitively priced it is or how many standard options you get. In the end it's still a knock off car and always will be. Until Hyundai, or any Korean car manufacturer, can come up with original designs they can call their own, I would never buy one.

LEGiiT
09-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by luxor
I'm just going to say it. It's still a Hyundai; a piece of shit Korean car. I don't care how competitively priced it is or how many standard options you get. In the end it's still a knock off car and always will be. Until Hyundai, or any Korean car manufacturer, can come up with original designs they can call their own, I would never buy one.

I love how their Genesis' don't even have the Hyundai logo on them, it's some bird thing that resembles Bentley's logo... goes to show even Hyundai know they're brand (and, imo, most cars) is total crap.

I saw a back-end of a Genesis sticking out of a parking space and I did think it was something much more 'prestigious' looking, but when I looked for .5 second longer I knew it was a Hyundai and I was disappointed how much they've ripped off Mercedes' and Bentley's designs.

Oh well, I guess it's a compliment to the better brands that manufacturers like Hyundai rip certain design elements from them.

frozenrice
09-09-2010, 09:05 PM

My dad used to say crap like that about Japanese imports. Only drove domestics. Since he broke down and bought his first Toyota, he's never looked back. He's on his third Camry in the last 15years.
Compared to what they built in the 90s, the Korean cars have come a long way. Same could be said about electronics. Look at Samsung and LG.

Originally posted by LEGiiT
I love how their Genesis' don't even have the Hyundai logo on them, it's some bird thing that resembles Bentley's logo... goes to show even Hyundai know they're brand (and, imo, most cars) is total crap.

I doubt that it's because they think their cars are crap. Probably more to do with brand image. By not associating the Genesis' with the Hyundai logo, they're trying to distance themselves by trying to shake loose all those years of bad reputation. Honda,Toyota and Nissan did this with their Acura, Lexus and Infiniti divisions.

Aleks
09-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Not sure about highly strung out turbo in a mainstream sedan. Hope it works for them. MS6 failed miserably, Subaru LGT is doing better but still not as reliable as NA V6 engines.

PulsePro
09-10-2010, 12:42 AM
the reason they disassociated the hyundai logo in the genesis was because hyundai originally planned on creating a luxury company like honda-acura, toyota-lexus, etc. Problem was it would cost them too much $$ and with their reputation, would be hard for them to sell hence just adding it to the hyundai lineup.

corsvette
09-10-2010, 12:54 AM
They should stick to what they know best~cheap subcompact and compact cars, i know a few people who have bought higher end Hyundai's and Kia's (mostly the suv's) and all say they would not buy another, way to many problems as they age, yet most who have owned a little Accent or Elantra rave about how simple and reliable they have been. I researched the Kia Sedona van for a friend and found most owners were unhappy with it after four years of ownership.

Genjuro
09-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Not shitting you but for the long weekend I rented a Sonata and drove it to BC. Calgary to Osoyoos (with a around trip in Penticton) was about 780KM. Got to Osoyoos with still a quarter tank left. To me this is very impressive since we did some flooring on the highway too.

Filled up once for the way back - still had about 45% of the tank left.

The car is extremely well built, solid and actually stylish. Call it a knock-off benz if you want but for 25 grand i'd for sure think about purchasing it.

banned3x
09-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Well my original plan was to buy the Sonata and de badge it and put on Lexus emblems. Nobody will ever know.

Power_Of_Rotary
09-10-2010, 01:41 AM
20 years ago, japanese cars were considered crap...
look at all those people bragging about a pos civic now?

eventually the koreans will catch up to the japanese market, but until then I wont want one

luxor
09-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary

eventually the koreans will catch up to the japanese market, but until then I wont want one

20? Last I checked there were still plenty of 1990 Civics driving around. Try 30 years ago maybe, because Japanese cars in the 1990's weren't bad and no one thought they were crap.

Point4Dave
09-10-2010, 07:49 PM
I like the new sonata's. My father has a black on black pearl 4.6 genesis w/ the genesis badge (no hyundai badge) and people constantly are asking what it is. I would buy one.

Muji
09-10-2010, 08:59 PM
The Lada of our day. And you know you're getting old when....

Next review, minivans. We await.

Muji
09-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary

You would have to go back to at least the late 70's, my parents bought a 1982 Honda Accord without a test drive, they were so rare and selling so well. And this was in a major Canadian city no less. So you might be looking at forty years ago, not twenty.

Check the reviews from Road and Track, Car and Driver, etc for the evidence.

corsvette
09-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Muji

You would have to go back to at least the late 70's, my parents bought a 1982 Honda Accord without a test drive, they were so rare and selling so well. And this was in a major Canadian city no less. So you might be looking at forty years ago, not twenty.

100% correct, in the late 70's and on to the 80's the domestics were absolute garbage and the imports (Japan) were getting rave reviews, they had great fuel economy, good performance, priced right, and very well built.

I remember guys like my Grandfather though would never ever buy an import, to him it was just wrong and i think alot of folks in that era felt the same way, they stuck with the domestic brands no matter what junk they built, it took a good 15-20 years for the japanese car companys to take a good hold of this market. And now we are starting see the begining of the Japanese market share shrinking, companys like Hyundai and Kia that are catching on in a big way, and the domestic brands that are now producing a good product are just slowly taking the market share away from them. Myself i would be much more likely to at least shop Korean and Domestic brands now than i would have 10yrs ago.

Redlyne_mr2
09-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Biggest thing the Koreans need to work on is technology and innovation. They are great at copying but they need to develop some of there own technology. That's what earns you respect in the market .

Point4Dave
09-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Biggest thing the Koreans need to work on is technology and innovation. They are great at copying but they need to develop some of there own technology. That's what earns you respect in the market .

They already started that with their Tao block.

Godfuader
09-11-2010, 11:23 AM

Design is not what sells to the masses. Huge majority of purchasers only consider reliability. I have rented Hyundai on a couple occasions, and must say they have all been great. If I wanted something affordable and simple, Hyundai would be a consideration. The Toyota Echo sedan was one of the ugliest car of all time but they were simple & reliable.

Power_Of_Rotary
09-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Muji

Could of been easily 40 years ago, but my point was not the precise amount of time until it got popular.