PDA

View Full Version : Fiero with Funny scoop

hampstor
12-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Could someone explain to me the advantages of a hood scoop? How about one pointed backwards? Is it the cowl induction hood/trunk for the fiero? :D

Spotted this guy a few weeks back, forgot to post it!

air_mikey
12-24-2003, 08:14 PM
maybe hes trying to imitate an mr2 :dunno:

szw
12-24-2003, 08:49 PM
lets out hot air

Team_Mclaren
12-24-2003, 08:51 PM
back up faster???

:rofl:

trendkill
12-25-2003, 05:30 AM
exactly, draws up hot air from the bay

thich
12-25-2003, 09:55 AM
:werd:

hot air rises :)

pinoyhero
12-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
back up faster???

LOL:tongue:

4CylFiero
12-25-2003, 03:18 PM
I imagine that was a pic of that one at future shop in the N.E. the back of a fiero gets really hot, it more efficent to put one over the from hood where the rad is. the fiero gets teh heat from the rads hot air traveing underneath the car and going into the engine bay adn then also the engine generating heat.

That scoop is not very nice in my opinion much nicer ones exist.

4CylFiero
12-25-2003, 03:19 PM
another

JustinL
12-26-2003, 01:31 AM
Some yahoo here in Edmonton has two huge scoops on the HOOD of his fiero... keepin that luggage nice and cool.

illeagle
12-26-2003, 01:54 AM
I've NEVER stoped to look at a fiero.. unless it's the stripped ones in the wreckers

FiveFreshFish
12-26-2003, 02:00 AM
Exhaust tips are hanging too low on the yellow one.

CelicaST-162
12-26-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Exhaust tips are hanging too low on the yellow one.

:werd: , but fuck the exhaust tips look at that wide patch of rubber!! lol

4CylFiero
12-26-2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by JustinL
Some yahoo here in Edmonton has two huge scoops on the HOOD of his fiero... keepin that luggage nice and cool.

I image it's this one, this was my pictures from the red deer fiero meet from this fall.

4CylFiero
12-26-2003, 04:18 AM
front is a little more apealling to me the rear is way to busy for me

4wheeldrift
12-26-2003, 09:39 AM
Why put the scoop at the back against the window, though? Would it not be better to put it at the trailing edge of the body where it would be affect by the air stream coming off the roof? For that to work really well, you'd need some air pressure differential to help draw out the hot air, and if its in the pocket of tranquil air right behind the window it isn't going to work nearly as well as it could.

4CylFiero
12-26-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Why put the scoop at the back against the window, though? Would it not be better to put it at the trailing edge of the body where it would be affect by the air stream coming off the roof? For that to work really well, you'd need some air pressure differential to help draw out the hot air, and if its in the pocket of tranquil air right behind the window it isn't going to work nearly as well as it could.

At the edge of the trunk it would be more effective the only problem is that is where the trunk is.

Primer_Drift
12-28-2003, 01:41 AM
Why put the scoop at the back against the window, though? Would it not be better to put it at the trailing edge of the body where it would be affect by the air stream coming off the roof?

Yeah do an MR2 style scoop for those fieros.. cept I think it looks like ass.. and not the good kind..

James
12-28-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift

Yeah do an MR2 style scoop for those fieros.. cept I think it looks like ass.. and not the good kind..

the top scoops? like on the roof? those are 100% useless, the natural air-flow is from underneath, so all it does is look gay.

4wheeldrift
12-28-2003, 09:50 AM

Yeah do an MR2 style scoop for those fieros.. cept I think it looks like ass.. and not the good kind.. That does even less, because they are forcing air down into the hood (like james said, both the fiero and MR2 feed from underneath), which wasn't what I was suggesting.

SplineZ
12-28-2003, 12:51 PM
There is enough air flowing undernieth the car, and up into the engine bay to make it somewhat usefull... but i think it works much like cowl induction

madcurls silver fiero, and voyteks yellow one are pretty sweet. Alot of time/money into those :D donk is i think removing the wing, and the scoops on the back of his car in favor of something else.. i dunno..

Justin, if its the same guy im thinkin off.. they are "lepress on" scoops. (TA WS6 look alikes) Not even functional... You can have a vent on the front hood tho. So its another rearward facing ones. It helps vent the hot air from behind the rad over the car.

James Z

fast_cars
12-28-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
I've NEVER stoped to look at a fiero.. unless it's the stripped ones in the wreckers

hahahha
same

Primer_Drift
12-28-2003, 01:26 PM
That does even less, because they are forcing air down into the hood (like james said, both the fiero and MR2 feed from underneath), which wasn't what I was suggesting.

I guess that makes sense cuz the air moves twice as fast underneath the car as on the sides.. but I can't see a front facing scoop being worse than one mounted basically in the vacuum bubble of drag created by air flowing over the cabin

4wheeldrift
12-28-2003, 03:41 PM

I guess that makes sense cuz the air moves twice as fast underneath the car as on the sides.. but I can't see a front facing scoop being worse than one mounted basically in the vacuum bubble of drag created by air flowing over the cabin If you are trying to remove heat from the motor it would be worse, think about it. You are no longer providing heat an avenue to escape, you are ramming air down that path so the air inside the engine compartment has to go elsewhere to find an escape avenue.

Primer_Drift
12-28-2003, 03:53 PM
^ Good point ^
Poorly designed engine bay all around IMO..

1WiCkEdWrX
12-28-2003, 07:56 PM
:thumbsdow

DonJuan
12-30-2003, 01:37 PM
^ Good point ^
Poorly designed engine bay all around IMO..
That's why they like to catch on fire. :thumbsup: oh wait wrogng one:thumbsdow :rofl:

fox
12-31-2003, 03:04 AM
maybe they needed more room under the hood for a bigger engine or somthing???

SplineZ
01-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Early fieros needed a recall done to prevent fires. Years after 85 afaik do not suffer from the same problem...

I'd take my chances in one before ridin in a focus, or new beetle. god knows they've had waaaay more recalls than any fiero. :)

Originally posted by DonJuan

That's why they like to catch on fire. :thumbsup: oh wait wrogng one:thumbsdow :rofl:

If you've seen the engine bay of a fiero, it is pretty large.. you can stuff a 350 in there no problem.

Originally posted by fox

James Z

hampstor
01-03-2004, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by SplineZ
Early fieros needed a recall done to prevent fires. Years after 85 afaik do not suffer from the same problem...

I'd take my chances in one before ridin in a focus, or new beetle. god knows they've had waaaay more recalls than any fiero. :)

If you've seen the engine bay of a fiero, it is pretty large.. you can stuff a 350 in there no problem.

350 smallblock is a common swap into a fiero. The engine bay has a lot of room. I have heard of northstar's being dropped into fieros as well!

It was a great car too. Too bad GM had to kill it.

SplineZ
01-03-2004, 03:45 AM
http://splinez.ninjas.ca/album/images/photos/fiero/2003-05-25_red_deer_meet/Tim/cache/slide-0072.jpg

Like this guys :D

Turbo Northstar..

Troy Richie, he runs TR Transmissions in Red Deer.. he's got 2 monster fieros..

James Z

hampstor
01-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by SplineZ
http://splinez.ninjas.ca/album/images/photos/fiero/2003-05-25_red_deer_meet/Tim/cache/slide-0072.jpg

Like this guys :D

Turbo Northstar..

Troy Richie, he runs TR Transmissions in Red Deer.. he's got 2 monster fieros..

James Z

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

wow that's gotta be one crazy ass fiero :) :hitit:

DonJuan
01-04-2004, 12:19 AM
:eek: :eek: Holy jebus!!! that is nuts! I had heard if the grand Prix's Supercharged 3.8 in there, 350's as well. I remember even seeing a 409 big block in there (one crazy dude) But that has to be the most potent combo i've seen yet. A nice all aluminum Northstar with a Turbo!!!! "THAT IS TITS!!! THAT'S BIG FAT OPRAH TITS RIGHT THERE! I'll think twice before racing a fiero again.

SplineZ
01-04-2004, 03:56 AM
Just make sure he's not from Red Deer :) haha. You should be safe.. His other 383 w/nos+propane is VERY loud, i doubt you'd even think about it if ya heard it ;)

I know there is a 3.4 v6 S/C runnin around CGY, and soon a 3.4DOHC... and even a turbo 2.8.. each of those good for about 200-230whp....

I am actually leaning towards a 3800 v6 S/C swap.. but thats about 2yrs away atleast..

James Z

Originally posted by DonJuan
I'll think twice before racing a fiero again.

limecorrado
01-07-2004, 05:13 PM
funnest car ever.Pontiac Fiero

hampstor
01-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by limecorrado
funnest car ever.Pontiac Fiero

I agree! My buddy had an 87 Fiero GT with a holley scoop (he was proud of it) on the side. He managed to actually get some good airtime in the car too ;)

4CylFiero
01-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by fox

Just to humor you

4CylFiero
01-07-2004, 11:13 PM
and again as you can tell this guy can't decide pepsi or coke.

4CylFiero
01-07-2004, 11:15 PM
more humor to much for my taste