PDA

View Full Version : Off-Duty cops can give tickets?

flipstah
09-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Well, this is news to me.

Apparently, off-duty cops can give out tickets... I totally don't remember when/where this occurred but I received mail today with the dreaded yellow copy.

Is this frequent or is it just me?

:dunno:

95EagleAWD
09-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Of course they can. They're still cops.

Most don't do it unless you do something incredibly stupid, though.

flipstah
09-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
Of course they can. They're still cops.

Most don't do it unless you do something incredibly stupid, though.

That's the thing. I called the number that's stated to find out more information because if I did something that's utterly dickheaded, I have to know so that in the future it doesn't happen again.

Bah. :banghead:

95EagleAWD
09-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

That's the thing. I called the number that's stated to find out more information because if I did something that's utterly dickheaded, I have to know so that in the future it doesn't happen again.

Bah. :banghead:

Ahhh, gotcha... What did they say?

flipstah
09-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Ahhh, gotcha... What did they say?

I'll find out tomorrow as I left a message.

I have to know where I committed a "Fail to Yield to Motor Vehicle Already on Highway When Entering Highway".

Kona9
09-07-2010, 06:41 PM
This city sucks for that. Just move over a lane to the left when cars are entering a highway from an off ramp.

Canucks3322
09-07-2010, 06:48 PM
^ Doesn't it mean HE cut off someone when entering a highway..........man, the ticket doesn't even say WHERE it happened...nice way to ruin a day....

revelations
09-07-2010, 06:48 PM

I'll find out tomorrow as I left a message.

I have to know where I committed a "Fail to Yield to Motor Vehicle Already on Highway When Entering Highway".

Normally, to get an off duty member to do paperwork on unpaid time means you did a really good job of pissing off someone - probably the member him/herself.

DayGlow
09-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Highway is any road. Fail to yield entering highway would be from off the road, like an access to a public road from a non-highway, ie a driveway or parking lot.

Cops can issue an ticket from something they witness off-duty, but for me personally, why? If it's that much of a danger 911 is more appropriate, and if not, well my personal time is more important than worrying about some douche driving.

JustGo
09-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
Highway is any road. Fail to yield entering highway would be from off the road, like an access to a public road from a non-highway, ie a driveway or parking lot.

Cops can issue an ticket from something they witness off-duty, but for me personally, why? If it's that much of a danger 911 is more appropriate, and if not, well my personal time is more important than worrying about some douche driving.
I just take down all the info, (date/time/plate etc.) and have another officer issue the ticket with me as a witness. Doesn't cut in to my personal time at all, and shows d-bag drivers that we're always watching.

That being said, it's only happened twice. Once when a guy used the merge lane as a passing lane in a construction zone, then couldn't get in before the merge lane ended, so passed me in the shoulder, kicking dirt and rocks all over, and almost forcing me into the next lane... the other time when I was stopped at a cross walk to let 2 little kids cross, and the guy behind me decided to get impatient and pass me, almost hitting the kids as they came in front of me.

So it takes a lot for me to do it, but I won't hesitate for idiots.

flipstah
09-07-2010, 07:14 PM
I have no problem paying it and manning up; just gotta know what I did wrong.

Might as well... No demerits.

DayGlow
09-07-2010, 07:23 PM
I'd get disclosure at least before deciding to man up.

flipstah
09-07-2010, 07:24 PM
EDIT: False alarm. I'll have to get full disclosure.

Maxx Mazda
09-07-2010, 07:28 PM
This is getting interesting...

Shlade
09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
My brothers friend who's dad is a cop gave me a warning last year for having too loud of an exhaust and sounding like I was going too fast on my street. Basically said keep it quiet I dont want to give you a ticket thatll result in loosing 7-8 demerits :confused:

I took it as it was, wasnt mad or anything but he later clarified to me that he is still able to give tickets while off duty.

This City is getting pretty damn bad for just giving stupid tickets. I dont even think its safety anymore its just making money.

Oh well.. Counting the days till I move from this hellhole!

Ven
09-07-2010, 09:13 PM
What really pisses people off is issuing a citation while off duty and out of the city.

flipstah
09-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Ven
What really pisses people off is issuing a citation while off duty and out of the city.

... I got issued a ticket from Redcliff, Alberta. Never been there EVER. :banghead: As in the letter was addressed from there.

Rat Fink
09-07-2010, 09:29 PM

flipstah
09-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
You've never been between Calgary and Medicine Hat? If so, you drive through Redcliff.....

Never... That's the thing. :confused: Though it does say the offence occurred near Calgary.

Once I know more, answers will come.

banned3x
09-07-2010, 09:35 PM
one time i got a ticket from red deer and i never got to red derr passed it once thats all but long time ago

R&D
09-13-2010, 08:38 PM
It is bad through Lacombe, the RC'S got me with laser there, you live and learn, I sure did after that one, as they say fool me once, fool me twice etc.

syritis
09-14-2010, 02:26 AM
wetaskiwin/ponoka is the worst, the DA up there hasn't gotten laid in the last 30 years and i'm not even kidding. hands down the biggest bitch i've ever met.

i didn't know the CPS could give citations. An off duty officer cannot pull you over but all he/she would have to do is write down the time and your plate and the next day at work they will mail your ticket. I thought the ticket would be the same as a photo radar ticket as the officer could not prove who was driving the vehicle?!?!?!?!

flipstah
09-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by syritis

i didn't know the CPS could give citations. An off duty officer cannot pull you over but all he/she would have to do is write down the time and your plate and the next day at work they will mail your ticket. I thought the ticket would be the same as a photo radar ticket as the officer could not prove who was driving the vehicle?!?!?!?!

Yup, the same deal.

JustGo
09-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Yup, the same deal.
Nope. Not if the officers saw who was driving and could identify them in court. Then it's not the same as photo radar at all.

NuclearPizzaMan
09-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by JustGo

Nope. Not if the officers saw who was driving and could identify them in court. Then it's not the same as photo radar at all.

This is correct. A police officer's word is usually taken as fact, regardless of how few of them actually deserve that courtesy from the bench.

8Ball
09-14-2010, 12:08 PM
thats bs... all high and mighty attitude again.

Cos
09-14-2010, 12:23 PM
I was just thinking about this driving back from the field last week. You dont happen to drive out on Highway 1 do you? All the overpasses between the Petro-Canada and Calgary are GOD DAMNED YIELD's (not saying it was you, but I have almost been run off the road there a few times).

If you try to merge and the highway is busy that is worth a ticket.

flipstah
09-14-2010, 12:38 PM
It wasn't anywhere out of Calgary and the officer informed where it was and it was a family member who had the car at that time.

Off to court they go!

Cos
09-14-2010, 12:46 PM
It wasn't anywhere out of Calgary and the officer informed where it was and it was a family member who had the car at that time.

Off to court they go!

ah makes sense. Just had some trailer cut me off hard and I didnt have anywhere to go at Calaway park and I thought of this thread.

Muji
09-14-2010, 06:24 PM
I had an off duty cop pull me over years ago, when I was in HS. It was late in the evening, he pulls up driving a family sedan (in the right lane) honks his horn, thumb points to his uniform hanging in the back seat window and then points to the side of the road. I thought, this guy has to be really pissed off to pull me over, I have done something really, really wrong and will be lucky to take a bus home in the next few minutes. We get to the side of the road, he walks to my driver side window, shows me his detective badge and asks me to turn on my headlights, as they were off all along. Nice of him really as he said a ticket could be issued even though he was off duty (coming home from his shift), kind of shook me up for a few days thinking of all the crap he could have put me through had he been following me for a few hours or checked over my car as it was rather track/street at the time.

If an off-duty cop cuts you a ticket, you really did deserve it. If someone borrows your car and gets the ticket, he or she is banned for life from operating my cars.

max_boost
09-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Who's sig was it?

theken writes: "off duty cop is not a cop, he's just a normal person"

ZorroAMG replies: "just like an ninja in street clothes isn't a ninja"

:rofl:

Off topic but first thing that came to my mind.

old&slow
09-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Who's sig was it?

theken writes: "off duty cop is not a cop, he's just a normal person"

ZorroAMG replies: "just like an ninja in street clothes isn't a ninja"

:rofl:

Off topic but first thing that came to my mind.

Actually Ninjas did wear street clothes. They "blended". That was their mentality. To be hidden in plain sight. It was Hollywood that came up with the black crap.

xxviet
09-14-2010, 06:47 PM
every the word ninja comes up i always think about the famous one, ginger ninja aka chuck norris XD