PDA

View Full Version : Question about framing possibility

Kloubek
09-07-2010, 09:41 PM
ok... some of you are going to laugh, and I don't care. It is what it is. Anyway, we are building a suite in our basement, and have limited space in the bathroom area.

We've already picked up everything we need for the suite, besides wood and drywall. Fixtures, cupboards, you name it. One of the things we found on a WICKED deal was a very nice sliding glass shower door from Kohler. Regular price: $800. We bought it for $60. But the length of 5 feet makes it difficult to fit into what we now discover is a very limited space.

The only way we can figure it will fit with enough room to walk between the toilet and the shower is to put it on a diagonal. Now, we want to have a walk-in closet at the rear of the bathroom, so this further cuts down on the space available.

In order to fit this in, we would require one side of the shower support to be VERY short, and at 45 degrees. See the pic:

http://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/bathroom.jpg

Is it possible to build a little jut-out, just to support the shower door? I realize it will look slightly odd, and might make the far edge of the inside of the door harder to clean, but it seems to be the only way we can fit it in... unless we want to scrap the door we bought, and go with a small corner shower stall.

Thoughts?

PS: Toilet must remain where it is, due to rough-in. I'm not going to start breaking up the floor to reposition it. :)

codetrap
09-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Breaking up the floor is exactly what I did. It wasn't very expensive, and it was a lot of fun to bust up the concrete with the jackhammer. Redoing the concrete was cheese afterwards.

mr2mike
09-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Can you explain the drawing a little more. Where is the shower going? What are the two half circles?

yobi5888
09-09-2010, 09:24 AM
I think the two half circles are doors, the shower is the triangle area on the upper right corner.

Kloubek
09-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah, they are rough door swings.

The scale of things are probably off a bit anyway - I did not spend much time on this.

In short, I really just want to know if butting up the glass on a 45 degree angle right against the wall would be possible if I built a v-shaped support on the wall. I guess now that I word it like that, it actually SHOULD be possible. I mean, you can build a support anywhere you want right? As long as it is strong enough, who the hell cares if it is conventional or not.

Codetrap: I've done it before too. But I busted up a lot, so it was a lot of work... in particular, hauling all the extra concrete up the stairs out to the garbage bins. (Yes, I threw it all in garbage bins.)

Anyway, even if I COULD move the toilet, I don't think it really helps me much as far as positioning things.

C_Dave45
09-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Are you putting in a fiberglass shower pan, or a sand n cement base? You should have no problem mounting the glass onto your 45 degree stub wall. I can build you a custom made shower pan to fit any size/dimension you need. I could come and take a look at it for you, if you like.

Kloubek
09-09-2010, 09:45 PM
No, not fiberglass. We will end up tiling everything. Feel free to give me a ring if you still have my #, or pm me. I might just be interested in having you over for some beers. :)