PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Stainless / Aluminum Railing / Handrail Company

Mckenzie
09-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Looking at something like this:

http://www.stairservice.com/gallery_detail.php?gallery_id=50&pID=18

I found these guys, but cannot really find anymore. Any suggestions on which ones have good pricing / service?

Thx.

http://www.prestigerailings.com/stainless_steel

spacerz
09-07-2010, 09:54 PM
That is an aircraft cable railing. Illegal in the city of calgary, just so you know. Apparently it promotes climbing for young children. I found this information out because I was interested in using the same application with my stairs.

Mckenzie
09-07-2010, 10:00 PM
^Nope didn't know that. Dream killer. :D

So do you know of any other types of aluminum / more trendy looking railings that are legal?

EDIT: This is what the designer who suggested this to me said in the email: "Take a look at this....I would lessen the amount of cables though to the mininum spacing by code."

What is the code then?

spacerz
09-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Well I called a local stair railing company and they said that the aircraft cable railing was illegal in the city of calgary because of blah blah something about the tensioners used and it promoted climbing by young children. I will call and check tomorrow if all horizonal based railings are illegal or if it was just the aircraft cable one.

I myself am still looking for something with a modern flare but legal. Glass seems to be nice and all, but the whole keeping it clean thing seems kinda out there. I'll report back with my findings tomorrow. If horizontal railings are illegal in general....that would limit a lot of the more modern/contemporary options.

Mckenzie
09-07-2010, 10:22 PM
^ Awesome thanks for the help. I figured it had to do with the kids. I'm on the fence on the glass as well, but it looks really really nice for sure. I'm going to go to Prestige tomorrow to check out the glass and ask about the aluminum so I'll report back here with info on this and any suggestions on something more modern looking.

spacerz
09-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Anything horizontal is illegal in the city of calgary, the rails must be vertical.

Try and take a look for some glass/stainless steel combinations. Some of them are actually very nice. I am not a fan of wood/metal combinations so I think that this will be the route we will go. If you find anything comparable to the aircraft cable railing, let me know.

spacerz
09-08-2010, 11:20 AM
^ That information was according to a number of various railing suppliers/installers in Calgary.

Mckenzie
11-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Well I have just returned from my trip and finally decided on my railing as it was not completed before I left. I went with stainless steel spindles from Spindles, Stairs and Railings and the shoes from Prestige. That being said, Prestige has some VERY nice chrome spindles that come in two colors, an onyx / dark chrome and more steel color. They can also do them with a twisted design which is pretty cool as well. The blanks / features were much cheaper from Spindles, Stairs and Railings. I will post pics when its up.