PDA

View Full Version : **SAIT STUDENTS** Park at sears cheap

FraserB
09-07-2010, 09:55 PM
As you all know SAIT got the city to stop sears from issuing parking passes to students. This is due to the fact that Sears is not allowed to charge for "off site" parking, falls under the business zoning rules.

Sears parking is now reserved for Sears customers only. Simply go into Sears and buy a pack of gum and keep the receipt. Once you patronize Sears, you are now a customer and have the right to use the parking lot. If Sears is employing chalking methods to catch students parking they would have to show that they are chalking every single vehicle in the lots as they can not enforce on a discriminatory basis.

There is also the possibility to argue that a Sears employee is not allowed to interfere with your vehicle (chalking) and this can only be done by an authorized enforcement officer (bylaw, CPS, RCMP, CPA etc..).

**I am not a lawyer, nor do I represent myself as one. Any and all information, advice, opinions and suggestions in any post are mine alone and do not represent those of the CPA, CPS, City of Calgary, SAIT, Sears or Beyond.ca. Any actions taken after reading my posts are the sole responsibility of the reader, I assume no responsibility for fines, towing or legal actions resulting from those actions.**

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I think im going to start displaying the receipt in my window with the date circled each day. Only shitty part is Sears isn't open before class so I will have to go at lunch.

Ferio_vti
09-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Why not park on the West end, by Safeway and take the train over to Sait? They'd never suspect someone parked there to be a Sait student. That's what I used to do.

Tik-Tok
09-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
Why not park on the West end, by Safeway and take the train over to Sait? They'd never suspect someone parked there to be a Sait student. That's what I used to do.

They do. Some classmates used to try that, and one day they started getting tickets. Turns out the security assholes would follow them through the mall, and wait for them leave the mall property.

K3RMiTdot
09-08-2010, 10:15 AM
has anyone actually done this? i dont want a million packs of gum sitting in my car

Bizzareo
09-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Park at Earls.. I used to work there, and they never did anything.

speedog
09-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Posted this in another thread - I called North Hill Centre yesterday and they confirmed that they have Calgary Parking Services ticketing vehicles in any North Hill Centre parking lot that have been there more than a few hours.

So, any SAIT students/staff will just have to understand the risks involved if trying to park there for free.

banned3x
09-08-2010, 11:39 AM
this is none of my buissness and i dont go to sait but whats the big fuss? i aways hear about parking here and there. is it to expensive to park at sait or there no parking at all? or is the travell far from where you park? and its closer to park at sears. like i said nomb but just wondering

speedog
09-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Believe the issue is the cost of parking at SAIT - monthly passes (link (http://sait.ca/pages/studentservices/transportationandparking/Rates_Permits/index.shtml)) are at $140. So what's a solution other then risking fines or more at North Hill Centre - park farther away in a free zone and utilize the upass? Or find someone who owns a house nearby and pay them $90 or whatever to park on a pad in their yard - these exist because we used to own in Mount Pleasant and had a parking pad off the alley that we didn't use. There are solutions, but most of them aren't free or will eat up more of a student's free time getting to/from their parked vehicle.

ericchoweg
09-08-2010, 12:15 PM
been parking at sears the last couple of times and knock wood no tickets haha

kevie88
09-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Why not just do the park and ride C-train thing.. only a couple dollars more than a pack of gum.. :dunno:

K3RMiTdot
09-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by banned3x
this is none of my buissness and i dont go to sait but whats the big fuss? i aways hear about parking here and there. is it to expensive to park at sait or there no parking at all? or is the travell far from where you park? and its closer to park at sears. like i said nomb but just wondering
people park at sears because there a huge open lot, and its convient, rather then paying 12 bucks for parking each day..

i myself would rather not spend 12, id rather buy lunch or something.

G-ZUS
09-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Park in the 2 hour zone by Arbys and move it around 10:30. After that you are usually good for the rest of the day.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
Why not just do the park and ride C-train thing.. only a couple dollars more than a pack of gum.. :dunno:

I don't do that because its really inconvenient.

Cos
09-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

For me, at the time anyways, it was closer for me to drive to sait than any ctrain station.

mazdavirgin
09-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Sears parking is now reserved for Sears customers only. Simply go into Sears and buy a pack of gum and keep the receipt. Once you patronize Sears, you are now a customer and have the right to use the parking lot. If Sears is employing chalking methods to catch students parking they would have to show that they are chalking every single vehicle in the lots as they can not enforce on a discriminatory basis.

There is also the possibility to argue that a Sears employee is not allowed to interfere with your vehicle (chalking) and this can only be done by an authorized enforcement officer (bylaw, CPS, RCMP, CPA etc..).

Eh... Good luck with that. They can give you a ticket even if you purchased something in the store. Buying something doesn't mean you can park all day and since the parking lot is private property they can do whatever they damn well please. If you pull this act the next time they will likely just tow your ride.

PS: You can have any car on private property towed no matter the reason to an impound lot. That is your right as the owner of the property.

Rat Fink
09-08-2010, 11:03 PM

FraserB
09-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Did anyone actually get a ticket yesterday or on Tuesday? I have heard that there were a ton of tickets handed out.

Lonely_Driver
09-09-2010, 10:00 AM
They've been handing out tickets to people since Tuesday. That and the security guy for the mall is running around or driving through the parking lot stopping people from parking in the lots and walking away.

kvg
09-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Yesterday I went to the mall for lunch, then dropped my wife off at SAIT and there was a guinea pig there handing out tickets. :thumbsdow

OP is giving some BAD advice.:facepalm:

LadyLuck
09-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by kvg
Yesterday I went to the mall for lunch, then dropped my wife off at SAIT and there was a guinea pig there handing out tickets. :thumbsdow

That guy is always there.
Funny thing is...SAIT Parking people actually call them, walk around with the parking authority people taking pictures of your ride and slapping tickets on your windows.

kvg
09-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Isn't school already expensive enough for students without their own school f#cking them?:bullshit:

ericchoweg
09-09-2010, 12:18 PM
still no tickets w00t w00t:D

Tik-Tok
09-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by kvg
Isn't school already expensive enough for students without their own school f#cking them?:bullshit:

Dude, it's SAIT, they love to ass-rape people. For instance all the Aviation classes are up at the airport, but they have no option to opt out of the mandatory $366 SAIT fee's for Campus Athletic and Recreation Facilities, which are a 30 minute drive from their classes, and the U-Pass, which allows them to take the ONE stinky bus route that actually goes to the airport.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-09-2010, 02:41 PM
No tickets for any of us AST guys yet.

FraserB
09-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by kvg

To clarify, the advice I gave came from the city. From a department that deals with zoning and regulation.

chkolny541
09-10-2010, 06:16 PM
dont listen to OP, haha

doesnt matter who you got it from, it wont work

Mar
09-10-2010, 06:53 PM
There's a time limit for being a patron, I think it's like 2 hours from time of receipt. It doesn't last all day.