PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to kill my brother

Kloubek
09-07-2010, 10:10 PM
So, this weekend my brother is passing through from Virginia to go to our home town of Kamloops. Great! His wife goes off with my wife to shop, and I decided to cook dinner. In the middle, I realize I need more milk and my bro offers to take my vette and go pick it up. What a guy.

He asks if it is ok to take the top off. No problem - it wasn't raining at the time.

So he comes back with the milk, I asked him if he put the top back on and he did. (Good, because it friggin POURED an hour later)

So today, I'm driving home from work. All of a sudden, the whole fucking targa top flies OFF my car and up in the air in the middle of Deerfoot rush hour.

Jesus Christ. I have to back the car up, run in the middle of the road with fucking traffic everywhere to try to save the top. Some guy who was in the lane my top was in slammed on his brakes. (even though he was WAY far away from me and I was going to be out of his way in a second). I think I gave him a heart attack. I guess I wouldn't expect someone to be standing in my lane either.

Anyway.... the damage: A crack along the front edge about a foot and a half long and a bit of chipping. Not back actually, considering it was ran over by at least one car.... likely more.

Still fits! :)

Could have been a lot worse. The car behind me at the time did a fantastic defensive driving move to avoid getting smacked in their own windshield. I don't know what others managed to do, but I'm pretty sure I pissed more than a couple of people off. Oh well... what do you do? Not let your bro borrow the Vette I suppose....

Brothers.

Modelexis
09-07-2010, 10:14 PM
He is not legally allowed to drive a car he is not insured to drive either is he?

Graham_A_M
09-07-2010, 10:18 PM
That could have ended a LOT worse. Good to see nothing major happened.

Jetta-2.0
09-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
He is not legally allowed to drive a car he is not insured to drive either is he?

if its ur car and u let him then yes he is

Kloubek
09-07-2010, 10:20 PM

Of course he is. I let him drive it!

And yes, it could have been a LOT worse. I can just imagine what a targa roof would do going through a windshield at 100k.

rage2
09-07-2010, 10:25 PM
pffft... that's nothing.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/192927/thanks-to-my-brother-rip-e55/

:rofl:

Modelexis
09-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Not sure why for some reason I thought you had to be named on the policy to drive it.
Oh well, learned something new today.

Kloubek
09-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by rage2
pffft... that's nothing.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/192927/thanks-to-my-brother-rip-e55/

:rofl:

ok.. you win. :)

My own fault for not double checking the latches I guess....

A790
09-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Guess the price on that Vette just dropped eh?

kvg
09-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Ouch! I'm glad nobody got hurt or killed! It could have been way bad, I'm glad were not saying thatwe heard about it on the news.

corsvette
09-07-2010, 11:25 PM
I feel your pain!

I did the exact same thing on my vette, just threw the top on quick due to a rainstorm and drove off later with nothing holding it down, i did not get far, it flew of when i hit about 60-70kmh, needed a complete repaint other that that it was ok. I felt like such a moron though.

Ekliptix
09-07-2010, 11:31 PM
FRC ftw!:poosie:

Shlade
09-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Ouch... Only person that should ever grace the driver seat is your own ass.. Id make an exception to my dad but nobody else is ever sitting in my driver seat.

M.alex
09-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Ekliptix

Z06 FTW! :clap:

Kloubek
09-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Ekliptix

In this case, yes. But I have to admit - I still love the easy open-top design of the coupe.

Cam: Yeah, I'll let it go for a little less now. lol With that said, the skin is only $200 from ebay plus a paint, so it isn't exactly an expensive fix. Luckily.

The first time I think that I've ever been glad I had American-built car parts. If this was an import targa, you can guarantee it would be bent beyond repair.

rc2002
09-08-2010, 09:07 AM
This would be a good excuse to buy a plexiglass one from the dealer. It's way nicer than the body coloured one.

Kloubek
09-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Never really saw the point. If I wanted to see through it, I'd take it off! (Purposely, next time.)

The plexi ones are a thousand bucks. Seems steep for something I personally don't care about. The new owner can decide for himself - I may not fix it before I sell. Maybe I'll luck out and find a c5 being parted out.

(And on that note, if anyone are aware of a c5 being parted out, please let me know!)

Tik-Tok
09-08-2010, 09:28 AM

Why on earth would you think that? You're saying no one is ever allowed to drive another persons car, ever?

The only time someone is not "allowed" is
A) If they aren't licensed
or B) If they live in the same household, and aren't on the drivers list for that car, then the insurance company could (if they choose) decline insurance.

Modelexis
09-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Why on earth would you think that? You're saying no one is ever allowed to drive another persons car, ever?

Not sure why for some reason I thought you had to be named on the policy to drive it.
Oh well, learned something new today.

Originally posted by Jetta-2.0

if its ur car and u let him then yes he is

Originally posted by Kloubek

Of course he is. I let him drive it!

Why on earth would you repeat what has already been said twice in the same thread?

(sorry Kloub for flooding your thread)

Muji
09-08-2010, 09:53 AM
One would think GM would have designed a safety catch to ensure the top was not going to fly away. Also, is there no idiot light to tell you the top is not properly secured? Even my gas door has this feature, as do all my doors.

Kloubek
09-08-2010, 10:46 AM
^ There are three latches - two on the windshield, and one at the rear. But if they are all unlatched, there is nothing keeping it from flying off. And no, there is no idiot light, unfortunately. Technically, the roof was in place. It just wasn't secured.

I think the better design choice would have been to require the windshield latches to "stick out" when unlatched.... then I would have seen that they were not secured. But the handles don't do that - they sit flush with the windshield as they would if they were latched.

Oh well... live and learn.