PDA

View Full Version : Ban on RHD vehicles in a few years

ztunelover
09-08-2010, 12:09 AM
I was hearing that in a few years there would be basically a ban on RHD so that they can't even be registered in alberta. And that it already happened in some eastern provinces. Is this true? Or just some rumour? Because I'm tempted to get a gtr pretty soon (r32 or r33 obviously). But if in a few years I can't then it would be a bit of a waste of money. Does anyone know whose idea this was in the first place?

Cooked Rice
09-08-2010, 12:26 AM
You should really stick to USDM.

maxomilll
09-08-2010, 12:32 AM
I haven't heard anything of the sort, But if you were to import the car when it was legal, I don't see how they could just screw you and make your car illegal. Kinda like the gun laws, if you owned a prohibited gun before the law is in effect, you can keep that gun. Other people just can't by that gun anymore. Maybe thats just a ridiculous comparison tho..

ztunelover
09-08-2010, 01:13 AM
To CookedRice:
Already have one. And its not going anywhere anytime soon.

To maxomill:
Logic would dictate something like that right? I really hope this is some wild rumour, and complete bs. Cuz frankly it is retarded when quite a few of the domestic spec cars are significantly less roadworthy.

you&me
09-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by ztunelover
To maxomill:
Logic would dictate something like that right? I really hope this is some wild rumour, and complete bs. Cuz frankly it is retarded when quite a few of the domestic spec cars are significantly less roadworthy.

It wouldn't be about mechanical road worthiness. It would be about the fact that our roads are designed for lhd vehicles.

CapnCrunch
09-08-2010, 08:33 AM
RHD is pointless here. It's basically a badge that says "Hey ladies, I'm an adult male who lives at home and thinks that spending all my money on a shitty old sports car is more important that getting an education. LOOK AT ME ON THE WRONG SIDE OF MY CAR HAHAHA!!!!!!"

nixrx8
09-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
RHD is pointless here. It's basically a badge that says "Hey ladies, I'm an adult male who lives at home and thinks that spending all my money on a shitty old sports car is more important that getting an education. LOOK AT ME ON THE WRONG SIDE OF MY CAR HAHAHA!!!!!!"

:thumbsup: :goflames:

Mr.William
09-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by you&me

It wouldn't be about mechanical road worthiness. It would be about the fact that our roads are designed for lhd vehicles.

Funny fact is that our roads are not designed for driver position at all. That point of argument has been beaten already. :D

D. Dub
09-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by maxomilll
I haven't heard anything of the sort, But if you were to import the car when it was legal, I don't see how they could just screw you and make your car illegal. Kinda like the gun laws, if you owned a prohibited gun before the law is in effect, you can keep that gun. Other people just can't by that gun anymore. Maybe thats just a ridiculous comparison tho..

Which is fine until you want to sell it.

ercchry
09-08-2010, 09:19 AM
we went so long without one of these stupid RHD bashing threads.... why did you have to make this thread? :cry:

Tilly
09-08-2010, 09:26 AM
:dunno:

Originally posted by ercchry
we went so long without one of these stupid RHD bashing threads.... why did you have to make this thread? :cry:

n1zm0
09-08-2010, 09:32 AM
again with this topic?

:rofl: its literally like a 2-3 year phase:

2004/05 ish - omg they're going to ban RHDs already, but we just started!!

2007 - 'A recent study by ICBC shows that right-hand-drive vehicles are more than 40 per cent more likely to crash' (http://www.icbc.com/road-safety/safety-research/righthand-drive.pdf#Variables._frag_) , start tieing those panties in a knot!!

2009/early 2010 - Quebec temporarily bans RHD cars for 6 months - nationwide soon?

it's going to happen when it does, do ppl want foresight so they can go importing crazy to get as much in as possible before it does happen?

Modelexis
09-08-2010, 09:35 AM

Wow.

Lose a girlfriend lately? Possibly due to your passive aggression? Might I take a guess as to what sort of car the new guy drives?

ercchry
09-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Tilly

i have seen enough of these threads to forecast where this will head...

Mibz
09-08-2010, 09:48 AM
3rd time in a week I've felt the need to bust this out here:

http://members.shaw.ca/mibz/deadhorse.jpg

CapnCrunch
09-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis

Wow.

Lose a girlfriend lately? Possibly due to your passive aggression? Might I take a guess as to what sort of car the new guy drives?

Yeah you got me.

So whats mom making for supper?

D. Dub
09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
^^^

Zing

Vr4Whore
09-08-2010, 01:30 PM
1. Beyond is the wrong place to poke at this topic because you will get 5 year old kids saying some of the shit above....

2. Anything you "HEARD" is a rumor

3. If you want a straight answer about RHD anything go to www.ivoac.ca or www.jdmvip.com

4. I'm pretty sure the ban in Alberta/BC will never occur simply because there is no real proof about RHD cars being dangerous(don't even bother with the ICBC study).

Aleks
09-08-2010, 01:34 PM

:rofl:

themack89
09-08-2010, 01:36 PM
What do RHD owners do when they want to pass a truck on a two way highway..?

Joe-G
09-08-2010, 01:39 PM
you dont...

maxomilll
09-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by themack89

when I had one, I would slip over to the shoulder so I could look around the truck before passing on the left. Or I would wait tell a car in front of me passed and I would just follow them in to the left lane, because I knew I had atleast some time to make the judgement call if I could make it or not. If there was room, I would follow them passing the truck, if not I would simply slip back behind the truck and wait tell I had a good chance to go. :dunno:

n1zm0
09-08-2010, 01:45 PM

yeah i couldn't imagine, say by yourself on some parts of Hwy1 or the coquihalla to vancouver, when you need to get past that semi or camper-trailer.. those twisties at night. do you really have to wait until theres dual lanes then?

ercchry
09-08-2010, 01:45 PM
or drop back so you can see ahead... drop it into third, put the pedal down, try to not spin the tires and pass the truck... only issue is by the time you have passed the truck you have probably doubled your speed :burnout:

heavyD
09-08-2010, 01:49 PM

:thumbsup:

HeyKai
09-08-2010, 05:19 PM

That is beyond the pale of ignorant, you just back off a bit then bag, or maybe move your head to the left a bit to see around the truck ?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Passing is easy. Hang back just a little bit further, move head one foot to left. Never had any problems. I guess it helps that my car isnt exactly slow either. If you know your car well, you know how to position it, what it can do, and whats safe and whats not.

Its not rocket science sitting 2 feet further to one side.

sr20s14zenki
09-08-2010, 05:28 PM
What about Mclaren F1 owners? Seating in the middle bitches...what now...

maxomilll
09-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
What about Mclaren F1 owners? Seating in the middle bitches...what now...

well there oooobviously just screwed. LEFT, RIGHT OH SHIT. CANT SEE EITHER WAY.

you&me
09-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Mr.William

Funny fact is that our roads are not designed for driver position at all. That point of argument has been beaten already. :D

What?

So all the countries with LHD vehicles having the same road patterns and all the countries with RHD vehicles having the same road patterns is all just a big coincidence?

Vr4Whore
09-08-2010, 09:42 PM
I lean to my left to look if there is any upcoming traffic, then If i have 6 seconds or more available until the oncoming car I pass. I do this 6-15 times a week driving to and from work (88-84 Street SE). With a 280hp or more car it's ridiculously easy... I am going 120 or more in a 80 zone but oh well

ztunelover
09-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Vr4Whore
1. Beyond is the wrong place to poke at this topic because you will get 5 year old kids saying some of the shit above....

2. Anything you "HEARD" is a rumor

3. If you want a straight answer about RHD anything go to www.ivoac.ca or www.jdmvip.com

4. I'm pretty sure the ban in Alberta/BC will never occur simply because there is no real proof about RHD cars being dangerous(don't even bother with the ICBC study).

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. Well that simplifies my decision.

As for the people that just jumped down my throat? It's a simple decision based on the situation. I just wanted to know if this is a wild rumour or is there any kind of official announcement or something on the topic. Theres no point spending 14k on a car I won't be able to drive in a couple of years. As far as the passing thing, it really isn't that big a deal. I have driven a couple, and 2-3 feet of distance off either end wouldn't be that big a setback. Ya the layout makes things a little more tricky, but I'll be making the plunge knowing that.

I'm not importing one because it is right hand drive. It's simply the unfortunate circumsance, that r32(or r33) gtr were never offered in left hand drive.

Mods feel free to close this thread. Looking at half the posts, this will soon turn into a flame war. Vr4Whore answered my question for me. And thanks for that man.

Cheers,
Krish

ztunelover
09-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by maxomilll

well there oooobviously just screwed. LEFT, RIGHT OH SHIT. CANT SEE EITHER WAY.

Well, when you have 600+hp in a sub 3000lb car that tends to not really matter.

black13
09-08-2010, 11:23 PM

you say your prayers then pass while flooring it lol.

JAYMEZ
09-09-2010, 12:31 AM
:facepalm: :closed: