PDA

View Full Version : Standens Limited?

Scuderia
09-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Does anyone here know anyone who works for them or heard anything about them? I'm going in for an interview, and I found minimal information about them. From what i read online, they're really good with training and quality of work.

jwslam
09-08-2010, 06:51 PM
The factory you can see at glenmore and deerfoot right?
A good friend of mine worked there for like 2 summers. But he did a labour job. He liked it.

pm ark_trance
He doesn't log on that often though.

sillysod
09-08-2010, 06:53 PM
I do work for them. i wouldn't work there myself, little too crude staff.

But lots of room to grow there

Graham_A_M
09-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I used to work there a few years ago.

Its awful, a VERY dirty place, retched too. Lots of Temp workers from other countries that didn't speak a word of english. :nut: I can't even explain how good it felt to leave that place after 5 months.

There are LOTS of places out there that pay as much if not better; and have twice the working conditions.

Some of the tasks you may end up doing are very labor intensive. IE: working the "Off-setter". Basically its handling 75pound steel shafts into an immensely hot open-air forge, then into a machine. Once you're done that you have to put the other end of the shaft into the Forge and do it all over again. Now do that for 8 hours, thus making at least 150 pieces..... more like 250++. Not fun work, leave alone for about $16/hr. My forearms started to shut down from the tendonitis. That was basically my last "job" before I left there.

Much the same with feeding several furnaces; which means working just feet away from a 1200 degree blast furnace, feeding 20-50 pound pieces into it continually.

Some of the jobs aren't too bad, but the entry level ones are typically the worst. Overall, keep looking. You'll thank me later.
Yeah there is room to grow there, but so is there almost anywhere if you're a smart, good employee.

Rat Fink
09-08-2010, 09:12 PM

Scuderia
09-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Lol at Ratfink, thanks for the replies. I'm going in for a 1st year apprentice automotive technician job. From what I've read online, they "sponsor" alot of courses and classes you would usually pay for yourself, and there's alot of room to grow and move up if your competent and smart. I've applied at every dealership in town, and almost every shop, but many are reluctant to hire someone who doesn't have their "ticket". It looks like nobody even wants to train people, everyone wants techs who have been working for 334565+ years in the industry. I have another interview with Strathmore Motorsports, so I'm going to see what Standens has to offer. Sad part is I went to a highly recognized Auto Tech school in Texas, while working in a shop for 2 years, and have 10 grand worth of tools and I'm ready to work.:nut:
I'm trying to find any mechanic or body shop who will train me, or even allow me to apprentice. If all else fails, I'm looking into a different career path, thanks to Boarderfatty. Great guy.:thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
09-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Its worth a shot in your case then

Ichigo
09-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I did a tour of that place when I was in college.....looked like a mexican sweatshop. Our class agreed that was the last place we were going to apply to. LOL

Ditto. After the tour they handed out job applications ahhaha.

Phenix
09-09-2010, 01:39 PM
What job you going in for? The bucket guy ?

sillysod
09-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah, working in the plant... no thanks haha.

I thought maybe you were looking at position in the office, QC lab or something. Those guys seem to enjoy their work.

Fink and Graham are bang on with the shop guys. I would always have a hard time communicating with people. Not as bad as meat packers (XL foods, Lilydale etc.) but still pretty shitty.

Scuderia
09-09-2010, 04:56 PM
No I went in for a service position (Automotive Technician Apprentice)