PDA

View Full Version : Visions Electronics

xxviet
09-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Has anyone here ever worked or is working for them? whats it like working there? what position did u do? hows the pay and did you like working there? thanks

SkittleFreak
09-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Worked in the warehouse.
Pay was equivalent to other warehouse jobs.
Managers were stupid. The way they had things set up were stupid. The salespeople were terrible.
Overall: Only worked there for a job while I was in high school. Wouldn't go back.

But decent money if you are a good salesperson :thumbsup:

Spoons
09-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Its your average major retail electronic sales job. You work your ass off at making the company money while seeing no income in return. If you know what to sell, you can make money, but it fluctuates with the season and market HEAVILY.

Scuderia
09-08-2010, 11:54 PM
Worked there for a year after working at Best Buy for a year. It's like the NE of Best Buy.

ruffryder
09-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Im currently employed there and have been for over 2 years.

I work in the car audio department as a commissioned sales person... personally i love it due to the flexibility in the schedule and the people i work with.

however month to month income is shitty 8 months of the year at the location im at.. but during sept-dec i make at least 70% of my yearly income in only 4 months.

currentlly i work only 2 days a week due to school, and am still able to make ends meet with monthly expenses.

almost sounds too good to be true but it took me a long time to get to the point i am at with my career at Visions.

Potential with Visions, income wise is nuts. Audio/Video department will be your bread and butter.. there is a hand ful of guys who are good at what they do and make over 100k a year commission selling AV.

My advice to you would be to give Visions a shot.. this time of the year you will not regret it as long as you are a quick learner. There are tons of beyonders who work at Visions im sure they will have some input on the subject as well.

PM me if you have any questions id be more than happy to help.

A790
09-13-2010, 01:15 AM
If you're going for a sales role you better be able to sell... you'll starve otherwise.

Spoons
09-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by ruffryder
Im currently employed there and have been for over 2 years.

I work in the car audio department as a commissioned sales person... personally i love it due to the flexibility in the schedule and the people i work with.

however month to month income is shitty 8 months of the year at the location im at.. but during sept-dec i make at least 70% of my yearly income in only 4 months.

currentlly i work only 2 days a week due to school, and am still able to make ends meet with monthly expenses.

almost sounds too good to be true but it took me a long time to get to the point i am at with my career at Visions.

Potential with Visions, income wise is nuts. Audio/Video department will be your bread and butter.. there is a hand ful of guys who are good at what they do and make over 100k a year commission selling AV.

My advice to you would be to give Visions a shot.. this time of the year you will not regret it as long as you are a quick learner. There are tons of beyonders who work at Visions im sure they will have some input on the subject as well.

PM me if you have any questions id be more than happy to help.

That response sounds cookie cutter to what ever manager at any major electronic retail store. There is always that one person in A/V that makes 100K, but when you do a little research, he doesn't even make close to it.

If you want an okay electronics sales job, apply at Soundsaround, they are hiring. Commission structure is set up nicer, and they are smaller stores with only A/V. People come in actually looking for certain people and can actually build a customer base.

tictactoe2004
09-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
That response sounds cookie cutter to what ever manager at any major electronic retail store. There is always that one person in A/V that makes 100K, but when you do a little research, he doesn't even make close to it.

If you want an okay electronics sales job, apply at Soundsaround, they are hiring. Commission structure is set up nicer, and they are smaller stores with only A/V. People come in actually looking for certain people and can actually build a customer base.

Plenty of salesmen at retail electronic stores actually do make six figures. I have personally known people at Visions on Macleod at 32nd ave that have made over 100k...

Although I do agree that Soundsaround is (financially) the better place to be you can still get a good customer base going and make six figures at other electronics stores.

Ven
09-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Ask for a T4 from your top sales guys. If a guy is bragging and all proud of his earnings he'll love to show you the T4 just so he can puff out his chest more. No secret right? They've already told you how much it is. But they never do, do they? This is just the exact same holy grail sales hype all the noobs are fed to keep them in the grind because they have bigger egos than brains. Reach reach reach, you'll have a Moore`s suit and 72 month 3 Series lease just like the big boys if you keep pushing, you can do it champ! Haha, eventually they all figure out it's bullshit, some just buy into the lies longer than others.

tictactoe2004
09-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Ven
Ask for a T4 from your top sales guys. If a guy is bragging and all proud of his earnings he'll love to show you the T4 just so he can puff out his chest more. No secret right? They've already told you how much it is. But they never do, do they? This is just the exact same holy grail sales hype all the noobs are fed to keep them in the grind because they have bigger egos than brains. Reach reach reach, you'll have a Moore`s suit and 72 month 3 Series lease just like the big boys if you keep pushing, you can do it champ! Haha, eventually they all figure out it's bullshit, some just buy into the lies longer than others.

I've seen T4's from the top guy that was at Visions while I worked there, it showed almost 130k. I've seen T4's from guys at Soundsaround that were over 90k and they were not the top guys... I've personally had months where I cleared 10k+ at both Soundaround and Visions. Some people are cut out for it while others are not, but making 100k+ in that industry is far from being bullshit or lies...

Ven
09-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

Some people are cut out for it while others are not, but making 100k+ in that industry is either bullshit or lies...

Agreed.

Spoons
09-13-2010, 06:38 PM

I've seen T4's from the top guy that was at Visions while I worked there, it showed almost 130k. I've seen T4's from guys at Soundsaround that were over 90k and they were not the top guys... I've personally had months where I cleared 10k+ at both Soundaround and Visions. Some people are cut out for it while others are not, but making 100k+ in that industry is far from being bullshit or lies...

Oh completely agree, but you have to look at those people who are making that amount of money. What I'm saying is that any good sales person can't make over 100K, you have to know people.

Most of the people in retail that are making 100K are brown (not trying to be racist) with close knit ties to everyone in their religious group, who will only come buy stuff of that person. It doesn't require good sales tactics, it's just knowing the right people. Even if this isn't the case, they are just selling product that pays, not product that people need... which in turn result in a high return rate, poor salesmanship.

I worked at Future Shop for awhile, I would consider myself a very good salesperson, and even busting my ass off day and night, call backs, deal hunting to find the best prices for my customers, etc. and I would not make over 100K. I would say your good salesperson at a major retail store would make anywhere to 40-50K. Soundsaround is a different story.

This is the best way I can put it. In my years at Future Shop, I was never once in the yellow or red for sales performance, always in the green. Now in the Companies eyes I am doing well, yet I'm still brining subsidy cheques home? Fucking bullshit.

tictactoe2004
09-13-2010, 09:19 PM

Oh completely agree, but you have to look at those people who are making that amount of money. What I'm saying is that any good sales person can't make over 100K, you have to know people.

Most of the people in retail that are making 100K are brown (not trying to be racist) with close knit ties to everyone in their religious group, who will only come buy stuff of that person. It doesn't require good sales tactics, it's just knowing the right people. Even if this isn't the case, they are just selling product that pays, not product that people need... which in turn result in a high return rate, poor salesmanship.

I worked at Future Shop for awhile, I would consider myself a very good salesperson, and even busting my ass off day and night, call backs, deal hunting to find the best prices for my customers, etc. and I would not make over 100K. I would say your good salesperson at a major retail store would make anywhere to 40-50K. Soundsaround is a different story.

This is the best way I can put it. In my years at Future Shop, I was never once in the yellow or red for sales performance, always in the green. Now in the Companies eyes I am doing well, yet I'm still brining subsidy cheques home? Fucking bullshit.

I disagree. Most of the top sales guys I have met are not brown, with the exception of the very best salesman I ever met but he rarely ever sold things to people he knew, or people from his religious groups..

If you're doing stuff like call backs or trying to find people the best deal you will not make money in that industry. Most of the top sales people that I have met have all had something in common, they were all people persons with a great first impression who know how to close a deal. Almost all of them were able to sell things, usually without ever going over product specs or doing demos.

Originally posted by Ven
Agreed.

You say ask to see a T4 and you'll never get one shown to you, I tell you i've seen many T4's to back up the story and your come back is to quote me, alter the quote to suit your needs and just say "agreed"? Trolls always be trollin, you're right up there with scat19.

Ven
09-13-2010, 09:46 PM
You say ask to see a T4 and you'll never get one shown to you, I tell you i've seen many T4's to back up the story and your come back is to quote me, alter the quote to suit your needs and just say "agreed"? Trolls always be trollin, you're right up there with scat19.

http://lineout.thestranger.com/files/2007/11/crybaby.jpg

copynpaste
09-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Dont go to the NE visions, Dana there in the car audio is a the most arrogant prick youll ever meet. The other day he tried telling me i wouldnt notice one sub in a trunk and i should get duals. :rolleyes:

Spoons
09-14-2010, 04:43 AM

I disagree. Most of the top sales guys I have met are not brown, with the exception of the very best salesman I ever met but he rarely ever sold things to people he knew, or people from his religious groups..

If you're doing stuff like call backs or trying to find people the best deal you will not make money in that industry. Most of the top sales people that I have met have all had something in common, they were all people persons with a great first impression who know how to close a deal. Almost all of them were able to sell things, usually without ever going over product specs or doing demos.

Now you just sound like your trying to convince yourself otherwise. Everything you told me is something a horrible sales person does.

Why would you not touch a demo or go over product spec? How the fuck are you going to show them the value of the product? Do you just tell them, "Hey you need this TV. Don't ask me why, or how it looks, but damn you need it." That's fucking retarded. I will be cocky and say I have charisma coming out of my ass and any other orifices on my body. I can tell you that I can not sell someone on something actually big, making me good money, off of complete bullshit and a nice smile.

Call backs, customer base, etc. is all sales 101. Don't use it, but have fun pushing fucking boxes.

I was amusing your posts, but now I can't. Go learn a thing or two and come back here when your done. For the places you've said you've worked, you sound like you know a whole lot of nothing. What's your name? Which Soundsaround did you work at? I wanna ask around, I doubt you've even worked there.

Have fun selling TV's without turning them on.

Also to the fact you called Ven a troll? :facepalm:

tictactoe2004
09-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Now you just sound like your trying to convince yourself otherwise. Everything you told me is something a horrible sales person does.

Why would you not touch a demo or go over product spec? How the fuck are you going to show them the value of the product? Do you just tell them, "Hey you need this TV. Don't ask me why, or how it looks, but damn you need it." That's fucking retarded. I will be cocky and say I have charisma coming out of my ass and any other orifices on my body. I can tell you that I can not sell someone on something actually big, making me good money, off of complete bullshit and a nice smile.

Call backs, customer base, etc. is all sales 101. Don't use it, but have fun pushing fucking boxes.

I was amusing your posts, but now I can't. Go learn a thing or two and come back here when your done. For the places you've said you've worked, you sound like you know a whole lot of nothing. What's your name? Which Soundsaround did you work at? I wanna ask around, I doubt you've even worked there.

Have fun selling TV's without turning them on.

Also to the fact you called Ven a troll? :facepalm:

I'm calling him a troll because he made a false statement, I corrected him and his response was to quote me, alter the quote to suit his needs and replies with one word "agreed". His response to being called a troll is a baby picture. That would make him a troll, no?

You on the other hand are bitching about how it's "fucking bullshit" in the "years" you worked at futureshop you were bringing home "subsidy cheques" even though you personally feel you are "a very good salesman" who seems to think you have to be "brown" to be a good salesman in A/V even though "you're not racist".

On top of it all you want to question the fact that I ever even worked at Soundsaround? Why would I lie about working at a retail store that has a reputation of treating their staff like shit? It's not something to be proud of...

You seem to get very defensive when I questioned your sales technique and seem to think I'm lacking sales skills... The last time I worked a Big4 sale that was on the stampede grounds I was top volume in the entire company and hit 4/4 bonuses, volume, margin, accessories and warranty. I made almost $7000 for three days work and Tony personally thanked me for my performance. I left after spending way too much time butting heads with CK.

I went back a few years later but after getting screwed out of some of my bonuses and their lack of consideration while my wife and I went through a very draining medical procedure I left for a lunch break and never returned.

You will get different opinions of me depending on who you ask but the numbers don't lie, while I wasn't getting bogged down with all the crap they give their managers to do there were only a handful of people that could give me a run for my money, like the two brothers that currently work at Macleod and 130th.

Spoons
09-14-2010, 01:42 PM

I'm calling him a troll because he made a false statement, I corrected him and his response was to quote me, alter the quote to suit his needs and replies with one word "agreed". His response to being called a troll is a baby picture. That would make him a troll, no?

You on the other hand are bitching about how it's "fucking bullshit" in the "years" you worked at futureshop you were bringing home "subsidy cheques" even though you personally feel you are "a very good salesman" who seems to think you have to be "brown" to be a good salesman in A/V even though "you're not racist".

On top of it all you want to question the fact that I ever even worked at Soundsaround? Why would I lie about working at a retail store that has a reputation of treating their staff like shit? It's not something to be proud of...

You seem to get very defensive when I questioned your sales technique and seem to think I'm lacking sales skills... The last time I worked a Big4 sale that was on the stampede grounds I was top volume in the entire company and hit 4/4 bonuses, volume, margin, accessories and warranty. I made almost $7000 for three days work and Tony personally thanked me for my performance. I left after spending way too much time butting heads with CK.

I went back a few years later but after getting screwed out of some of my bonuses and their lack of consideration while my wife and I went through a very draining medical procedure I left for a lunch break and never returned.

You will get different opinions of me depending on who you ask but the numbers don't lie, while I wasn't getting bogged down with all the crap they give their managers to do there were only a handful of people that could give me a run for my money, like the two brothers that currently work at Macleod and 130th.

Dude, whatever makes you sleep easier.

tictactoe2004
09-14-2010, 02:09 PM

Dude, whatever makes you sleep easier.

You're the one that wanted to know because apparently im so full of shit... Sometimes I wonder why I even waste my time with half the kids here.

rx7boi
09-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Economy's different now.

Several years ago, people would throw money at warranties. Now people are much more cautious with their money, not taking into account sales ability. For companies such as Future Shop, services and warranties make them alot of money since there is low profit margin for things like computers.

There are multiple things to take into account such as location. If you're in an area with high traffic volume and multiple competitors, you have more to deal with as opposed to a location where a Leon's is your only electronics competition.

On average, I would say that some of the guys I work with, some of whom are very good at selling, would bring home about 40-50k after taxes.

When it comes to sales, you can pride yourself on product knowledge and customer service, but bottom line is that companies don't profit from such an idealized view of what salespeople are. The REALITY (not that I would agree) is that they reward box pushers and mustangs.

Not everyone gets the opportunity to pull in close or over 6 figures.

Spoons
09-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Sometimes I wonder why I even waste my time with half the kids here.

Not too sure either.

Mibz
09-14-2010, 03:24 PM
I completely ignored the fight above so I have no idea if these points have already been made, or if I'm even staying on topic.

Originally posted by rx7boi
Economy's different now.This. The Visions I used to work at isn't doing nearly as well as when I was there. It all started during the downturn.

There are multiple things to take into account such as location. If you're in an area with high traffic volume and multiple competitors, you have more to deal with as opposed to a location where a Leon's is your only electronics competition.And this. Obviously different locations have different opportunities. Not just regarding traffic, but who you're working with.

When it comes to sales, you can pride yourself on product knowledge and customer service, but bottom line is that companies don't profit from such an idealized view of what salespeople are. The REALITY (not that I would agree) is that they reward box pushers and mustangs. And definitely this. The more you know about what you're selling, the less money you are going to make. Specifically because you will start giving people what they need, not what makes you money.

If it helps you sleep at night, then frankly I don't think you're cut out for sales. That's kind of sales guy I was. I got by, I had loyal customers, but I was hard capped. I had a ceiling that I was never going to break through because I would ditch the $50 spiff if it meant somebody would get exactly what they needed.

The guys that make the most money? They don't see the difference between 720p and 1080p, the don't know what kind of processor is in a TV, they don't know what half the features actually do. They regurgitate what the reps tell them and they sell what makes them the most money.

Mitsu3000gt
09-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
The guys that make the most money? They don't see the difference between 720p and 1080p, the don't know what kind of processor is in a TV, they don't know what half the features actually do. They regurgitate what the reps tell them and they sell what makes them the most money.

This describes every electronics salesperson I've ever come across in my entire life at any of the "chain" stores. That was part of my motivation to spend so much time educating myself about electronics, home theater, etc. because I sure as hell wasn't going to get any good information anywhere else.

I also heavily considered getting into home theater sales, but decided not to for the same reason you said you didn't do too well. Selling people only what they need or what is actually best for them (i.e. not selling them $300 cables and such LOL) would not make me very good money, and I am not comfortable feeding people who don't do their research heaps of bullshit to make a buck.

Anyways, also from my experience by far the worst place is Soundsaround, I've never met a single person in there who had even the slightest clue about what they were talking about. I don't know where they find their employees, but you certainly don't need any credentials or actual knowledge about the products they sell whatsoever to work there.

Spoons
09-14-2010, 03:41 PM
This conversation is going no where.

BOX PUSHING IS NOT GOOD SALES. Plain and simple. Fuck it may make you money in FS or Visions, but what I am trying to argue is it is not good salesmanship. I'm not arguing that it won't make you money, I'm arguing that it makes you a shitty salesperson.

I'm in sales (for slight experience combined with field experience) to eventually get with my Step Father's company in oil sales. You go try and sell a million dollar sale without talking specifications or what not and see how far you make it.

Mitsu, go talk to Eff or Pat at Soundsaround in Crowfoot. Good friends, who know an INSANE amount about TV's and Audio. I promise you you will go no where else but to them after.

BrknFngrs
09-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Man, this sure went sideways quick. I can support basically everything that tictactoe2004 said as being consistent with my experience in electronics sales.

I worked at Visions on 32nd and personally knew an individual grossing more than $100k selling TV's and Home Theater. He wasn't brown and didn't rely on sales to family/friends on a regular basis.

As for having it or not having it; that's completely true as well. Myself personally, I sucked at commission sales and the biggest reason is because I gave a shit about the customers and tried to help them out; basically everything you mentioned Spoons (calls, etc) You're definitely right that this is basic "sales 101" type stuff, but it doesn't really apply in electronics sales like it would for someone like a realtor. 90% of the time customers at these types of stores don't give a shit who they deal with; they'll go where the best price is.

When you start looking at more specialized gear that's sold at boutique type stores (Sound of Music, etc) then you would be completely right that you need to build the relationship.

The difference between someone turning a $100k a year at a big box store and someone like you or me is that they have ridiculous swagger with customers, what the customer wants to buy is less significant than what they want to sell and their first impression is so good that they can close deals like nothing.

Mitsu3000gt
09-14-2010, 03:56 PM

Mitsu, go talk to Eff or Pat at Soundsaround in Crowfoot. Good friends, who know an INSANE amount about TV's and Audio. I promise you you will go no where else but to them after.

I usually go to the one on McLeod (only when I am forced to LOL), so maybe that would explain why I think so many of them know nothing about what they sell. Its nice to know there is at least a couple knowledgeable people working there haha, maybe I will drive up to Crowfoot next time I have no other choice but to set foot in Soundsaround.

Spoons
09-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I usually go to the one on McLeod (only when I am forced to LOL), so maybe that would explain why I think so many of them know nothing about what they sell. Its nice to know there is at least a couple knowledgeable people working there haha, maybe I will drive up to Crowfoot next time I have no other choice but to set foot in Soundsaround.

Try to talk to Koh, hes the store manager of McLeod. He's good.

Can you tell where I work? :P

Mitsu3000gt
09-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Try to talk to Koh, hes the store manager of McLeod. He's good.

Can you tell where I work? :P

Do you work at one of the Soundsarounds? You seem to know a lot about their employees haha. Then again you are recommending I go talk to other people besides you so maybe you don't work there!

Spoons
09-14-2010, 04:54 PM

Do you work at one of the Soundsarounds? You seem to know a lot about their employees haha. Then again you are recommending I go talk to other people besides you so maybe you don't work there!

I start at McLeod on the 23rd. I've been out of the TV game for awhile, so I would much rather send you to a friend who's current with what there is. Plus I'm on a salary.

Mitsu3000gt
09-14-2010, 05:14 PM

I start at McLeod on the 23rd. I've been out of the TV game for awhile, so I would much rather send you to a friend who's current with what there is. Plus I'm on a salary.

Ahh oh, gotcha. Well hopefully you can set an example there! The people from that store who have "helped" me have been less than abysmal, feeding me so much bullshit it was hard to stay polite, although I've never talked to the owner who you mentioned was pretty good.

calgary350z
09-14-2010, 06:24 PM
I probably should have just closed the thread and not added my two cents but being that I have been in the industry so long thought I could add some insight.

Everybody on here has had some valid points both ways and I too was in sales for many years and was a top performer. I am as white as they come and honestly made low to middle six figures before I went to management.

I can also honestly say I too work with currently some very high income earners (one even being over 200k+) and a couple over 100k. I can print there yearly numbers so I dont need to see their T4's.

But on the other hand right now is a very difficult time in this market to try get established for sure due to lower profit margins and very compititve pricing you can get by shopping around which in turn makes commisions even leaner.

The guys that are doing this are 5+ years at the same location and are really knowledable and great with customers

I myself even with my previous sucess in sales would feel nervous going back into it at this time

xxviet
09-14-2010, 06:45 PM
update: i turned down the job:closed:

Spoons
09-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by calgary350z
I myself even with my previous sucess in sales would feel nervous going back into it at this time

Same, but I am. Luckily Soundsaround guarantees 2500 a month for the first 6 months. I'm in it for more experience, I don't need the money. I've got other sources for that.

calgary350z
09-14-2010, 06:54 PM
that sounds pretty fair, at least its better than subisdy and your not hard up for cash

tictactoe2004
09-14-2010, 07:17 PM
This conversation is going no where.

BOX PUSHING IS NOT GOOD SALES. Plain and simple. Fuck it may make you money in FS or Visions, but what I am trying to argue is it is not good salesmanship. I'm not arguing that it won't make you money, I'm arguing that it makes you a shitty salesperson.

I'm in sales (for slight experience combined with field experience) to eventually get with my Step Father's company in oil sales. You go try and sell a million dollar sale without talking specifications or what not and see how far you make it.

Outside sales like copiers, pharmaceutical or heavy machinery will help you learn the sales skills that would be considered desirable for what you want to eventually get into. The sales cycle is 100% different compared to where you are right now... If you try to use the sales cycle of million dollar sales in the fast paced retail world you'll get taken advantage of all day long and make enough to collect a GST cheque. There are a lot of consumers that want sales people that know everything about the products they carry, full demos, red carpet treatment all for internet pricing... Good salesmanship to people that are willing to buy from you is one thing, but most people will learn everything from a guy that cares and knows his shit, then buy it from the guy across the street for 10% less.

The nice thing about Soundsaround is they make it simple, if you ever get the pleasure of getting one of the sales trainings that Tony does personally just watch what he does, listen to what he says, and do it. I guarantee you 100% it will work... even though 70% of the salesguys will probably tell you that it would cost you money to do it that way.

Perceptionist
09-14-2010, 08:07 PM
I just bought a tv, sound system, and some other stuff from Visions and I'm just wondering how the salesman made his comission. After some negotiating, he basically showed me the 'cost' of the tv on the computer in the store and sold it for that price. The price was significantly less than what the 'sale' price was or the prices at Best Buy, Future Shop, ect.

Does the salesman still make full comission if he's selling it for 'cost'?

calgary350z
09-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Perceptionist
I just bought a tv, sound system, and some other stuff from Visions and I'm just wondering how the salesman made his comission. After some negotiating, he basically showed me the 'cost' of the tv on the computer in the store and sold it for that price. The price was significantly less than what the 'sale' price was or the prices at Best Buy, Future Shop, ect.

nope but he at least closed you and made something which better than nothing.

Those costs are always padded to the store so they still made something but not alot if he showed you the store cost

InRich
09-14-2010, 09:53 PM

Same, but I am. Luckily Soundsaround guarantees 2500 a month for the first 6 months. I'm in it for more experience, I don't need the money. I've got other sources for that.

selling dope?

Mitsu3000gt
09-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Perceptionist

I doubt you paid actual cost, and if you did (or close to it) you probably got raped on other stuff, particularly accessories. Also if you bought any cables from them, there is typically around 1000% to 5000% markup on those items (not exaggerating) and they make a killing there too. The classic trick is make you think you get a hell of a deal on the big ticket item, and then they sell you accessories at little or no discount which makes them more money than if you had bought the TV at full MSRP.

I like Visions though, they are my favorite chain store to deal with. You still need to go in there knowing exactly what you want though, so you can spare yourself their sales tactics.

If you bought any cables or a wall mount from them I would suggest taking advantage of their 15 day return policy and only paying what they are worth unless you somehow got a hell of a deal there too.

Also beware of their warranty, if you bought it based on the fact that you get it back in store credit if you don't use the warranty. The fine print says you need to spend a very high minimum amount to use the credit, ensuring they still make enough money off of you to negate the warranty credit (from their perspective) should you cash it in.

Spoons
09-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by InRich

selling dope?

Nope, legal money.

About the cost, the cost they show you is never the actual cost, it's just commission cost. It usually around 15% higher than the actual cost, but it can be more.

He does not make full commission at "cost". In fact if he sold it exactly at "cost" then he probably made absolutely nothing and made his money on something else. There isn't that much mark up on TV's anyways.

Each commission structure is set up differently for each case.

brown911
09-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Commission sales in Home Theatre at any store can make you big bucks, but the thing is the people who make the 100k+ (usually 1 or 2 at every store) have been doing it for 10+ years throughout multiple stores, and have as many regular customers as you do contacts in your cell phone.

I worked at futureshop in deerfoot meadows when it first opened, some guy got transferred there from the shawnessy location (his name was gorby), he hated being transferred because the average clientele at his previous store has more money to spend, but this guy made money like nobodies business, a lot of them lie about how much they make and are complete douchebags. However on the old computer systems you could look up monthly sales by someones employee code/department, and it would tell you how much was from spiff/monster/install etc. This guy was always taking home over 10K a month, and i remember during that december he took home close to 20K.

The ones who make good money can talk to anyone and everyone, and simply just say the right things along with their extensive knowledge of the products. They know how to take someone who has a budget, upsell them on something thats better and accessorize the shit out of the package all while being extremely sly about it. The customer half the time doesn't even know what just happened, but they leave the store with a big grin on their face, and enjoy the TV/Hometheatre system they bought.

Spoons
09-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by brown911
Commission sales in Home Theatre at any store can make you big bucks, but the thing is the people who make the 100k+ (usually 1 or 2 at every store) have been doing it for 10+ years throughout multiple stores, and have as many regular customers as you do contacts in your cell phone.

I worked at futureshop in deerfoot meadows when it first opened, some guy got transferred there from the shawnessy location (his name was gorby), he hated being transferred because the average clientele at his previous store has more money to spend, but this guy made money like nobodies business, a lot of them lie about how much they make and are complete douchebags. However on the old computer systems you could look up monthly sales by someones employee code/department, and it would tell you how much was from spiff/monster/install etc. This guy was always taking home over 10K a month, and i remember during that december he took home close to 20K.

The ones who make good money can talk to anyone and everyone, and simply just say the right things along with their extensive knowledge of the products. They know how to take someone who has a budget, upsell them on something thats better and accessorize the shit out of the package all while being extremely sly about it. The customer half the time doesn't even know what just happened, but they leave the store with a big grin on their face, and enjoy the TV/Hometheatre system they bought.

Gorby is the story every FS manager uses to "try" to pump you up. I know Gorby, and the man knows a ridiculous amount of people. Very little of his customers are just walk ins. You don't go in and just talk to Gorby, you make an appointment with his assistant (I am not even fucking kidding).

msommers
09-27-2010, 10:45 AM
This describes every electronics salesperson I've ever come across in my entire life at any of the "chain" stores. That was part of my motivation to spend so much time educating myself about electronics, home theater, etc. because I sure as hell wasn't going to get any good information anywhere else.

The people from that store who have "helped" me have been less than abysmal, feeding me so much bullshit it was hard to stay polite

Mark I don't even know why you waste your time talking to the salesguys. I know you research like crazy before any big purchases and chances are, you do know more then they do! Next time just go in, I want X TV, whats your best price. They save time trying to feed you shit and you save time and patience having to bare it lol.

This is exactly how I shop now. Saves a lot of time fucking around with retards.

Originally posted by brown911
They know how to take someone who has a budget, upsell them on something thats better and accessorize the shit out of the package all while being extremely sly about it. The customer half the time doesn't even know what just happened...

That just sounds so unethical. Sly? No sir, that's sleazy as fuck. I'd be a horrible salesman.

Mitsu3000gt
09-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by msommers

Mark I don't even know why you waste your time talking to the salesguys. I know you research like crazy before any big purchases and chances are, you do know more then they do! Next time just go in, I want X TV, whats your best price. They save time trying to feed you shit and you save time and patience having to bare it lol.

This is exactly how I shop now. Saves a lot of time fucking around with retards.

Haha I wonder that myself sometimes, but I usually am forced to deal with salespeople because even though I know what I want based on my research, I still want to demo whatever it is myself before I buy. Sometimes, the only places that have demo units are places like Soundsaround, and you need an employee to hook it up for you and show it to you. If I did it myself they would think I was stealing or something. Unfortunately, while they are getting it ready, you have little choice but to listen to them try and sell you the product haha.

You know what the last guy at Soundsaround did when I went in there to demo a projector? Immediately went into the settings menu, maxed out saturation and contrast, and pretended to be amazed at how good the picture looked. It looked like someone took a shit on the screen and smeared it around. This was apparently their "video specialist". I had to wait for him to go help another customer so I could return the settings to normal and get an idea of what the picture ACTUALLY looked like lol.

Most of the time though, I am the ideal customer because nobody has to sell me anything and I just tell them what I want at X price haha.

calgary350z
09-27-2010, 12:10 PM

Haha I wonder that myself sometimes, but I usually am forced to deal with salespeople because even though I know what I want based on my research, I still want to demo whatever it is myself before I buy. Sometimes, the only places that have demo units are places like Soundsaround, and you need an employee to hook it up for you and show it to you. If I did it myself they would think I was stealing or something. Unfortunately, while they are getting it ready, you have little choice but to listen to them try and sell you the product haha.

You know what the last guy at Soundsaround did when I went in there to demo a projector? Immediately went into the settings menu, maxed out saturation and contrast, and pretended to be amazed at how good the picture looked. It looked like someone took a shit on the screen and smeared it around. This was apparently their "video specialist". I had to wait for him to go help another customer so I could return the settings to normal and get an idea of what the picture ACTUALLY looked like lol.

Most of the time though, I am the ideal customer because nobody has to sell me anything and I just tell them what I want at X price haha.

We like those kind of customers too. If you ever need anything just let me know as i dont work on any commision and i always take good care of beyonders. I used to actually work with Kenny and he can vouch for that as he buys stuff from me once and awhile

Mitsu3000gt
09-27-2010, 01:04 PM

We like those kind of customers too. If you ever need anything just let me know as i dont work on any commision and i always take good care of beyonders. I used to actually work with Kenny and he can vouch for that as he buys stuff from me once and awhile

Sorry, where do you work? Visions or Soundsaround?

calgary350z
09-27-2010, 01:24 PM
FS in deerfoot meadows

calgary350z
09-27-2010, 01:25 PM
i am the operations manager there

Mitsu3000gt
09-27-2010, 01:40 PM
i am the operations manager there

Oh ok, I will remember that - thanks. And I'm glad you didn't say Soundsaround :D I refuse to buy anything there unless it's their once a year one day sale thing and I know exactly what I want.

n1zm0
09-28-2010, 09:07 AM
speaking of visions, what's their return policy if say a TV is completely unserviceable 2 days after purchase lol my new TV shitcanned already. i know theres a 15 day return for service or plain old 'i don't like it i want something else'