PDA

View Full Version : Pony Keg - 1/4 keg - who has them?

Crymson
09-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey Beyond.

My beer taps have run dry and i need a new keg. Alas i can no longer find anyone to refill my cornelious kegs so i'm having to switch my taps over to using pony kegs.

Who carries these in town? Anyone downtown?

Idratherbsidewayz
09-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Pretty Sure Willow Park Liquor Store carries them.

T-Dubbs
09-09-2010, 11:32 AM
arn't pony kegs, just half kegs?

Crymson
09-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah, but there are other sizes of half kegs. My fridge is only 17 and half inches deep , so anything wider than a pony keg and i'm hooped.

What i had was two 9inch cornelius kegs, but no one will fill them up anymore (used to swap them at wildwood brewery on 4th st).

I suppose i could start homebrewing with the old kegs though, that would be cool.

'93 SR-V
09-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Are you set up to use the old fashion soda fittings (separate fitting for air input and liquid output?). Brewsters still uses these kegs (20L) but they weld up the old fittings and fit them with a standard US sankey bung. Something to consider if you want to keep using that size of keg (and like their beer of course).

A standard pony keg is the same diameter as a full sized keg so you're probably looking for a vert (1/3) keg. Big rock sells these so you could probably just go down there and pick one up (they have a small store on site).

I've picked up pony kegs at willow park in the past, they may have the vertical kegs in stock as well, not sure... if not I'm sure you can get them to order them in for you.

Crymson
09-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by '93 SR-V
Are you set up to use the old fashion soda fittings (separate fitting for air input and liquid output?). Brewsters still uses these kegs (20L) but they weld up the old fittings and fit them with a standard US sankey bung. Something to consider if you want to keep using that size of keg (and like their beer of course).

A standard pony keg is the same diameter as a full sized keg so you're probably looking for a vert (1/3) keg. Big rock sells these so you could probably just go down there and pick one up (they have a small store on site).

I've picked up pony kegs at willow park in the past, they may have the vertical kegs in stock as well, not sure... if not I'm sure you can get them to order them in for you.

CRAP!

REALLY?

I looked around alot looking for someone who used the old 20L kegs (pop kegs). I like them because 2 of the will stand up up in my fridge.

Oh well, next time i suppose. But regardless, yes i'm setup to use the old style, 2 line system, so i'd need the sankey anyways.

I'll give them a call.

JfuckinC
09-09-2010, 12:32 PM
wait one minute here....... How does your system work, kegs in the fridge, taps on the outside? Doesnt the beer get old?

Crymson
09-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Lines outside the fridge are only about a 2 feet at 3/16 inch lines. So i usually have to pour less than a half pint until i get cold beer.

Beer is kept at pressure with beer gas, not CO2, so it keeps much longer. A keg will last a long time.

Khyron
09-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Willow park sells the big rock vert kegs, you probably won't have luck at the brewery (store is cans/bottles)

I saw another dude with a similar setup in his basement, I think he was doing Lime.

Try some gopher - it would be a good choice.

Benny
09-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
wait one minute here....... How does your system work, kegs in the fridge, taps on the outside? Doesnt the beer get old?

Called a 'kegerator'

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2006/12/sanyo-kegerator.jpg

And I want one! :thumbsup:

Crymson
09-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Willow park sells the big rock vert kegs, you probably won't have luck at the brewery (store is cans/bottles)

I saw another dude with a similar setup in his basement, I think he was doing Lime.

Try some gopher - it would be a good choice.

Yeah man, i got a big rock vert at Crowfoot.

130$ + 30$ deposit. Not bad.

It wasn't the keg size i was expecting. I was epecting the 17 inch diametre bye 12 inch. Instead i got the vert, which BARELY fit (but still fit) into my fridge.

Actually pretty excited about that, because alot of beers come in verts. Now i need to know where to get more kegs.

beyond_ban
09-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Benny

Called a 'kegerator'

And I want one! :thumbsup:

A buddy of mine has one, and it works like a charm. You just have to make sure you get a new keg in there about a day or two in advance if you are having a party.

Crymson
09-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Here is an early version of my setup. I took this picture before a party, but i hadn't tiled the bar.

So now, i've got a double tap that comes up and out of the counter just to the right of the sink (which is now installed) bolted through the counter (which is now tiled). The beer comes out a small hole left of the fridge, through insulated lines to the taps. The lines are exposed for about 2 feet, with about another 2 feet inside the fridge to maintain back pressure. To the right of the fridge is a small cubby where the beer gas resides (mixture of nitrogen and c02, keeps the beer fresh way longer as the nitrogen is inert and doesn't interact).

I'll grab a shot of the finished bar tonight.

Crymson
09-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

A buddy of mine has one, and it works like a charm. You just have to make sure you get a new keg in there about a day or two in advance if you are having a party.

Yeah, at LEAST 24 hours. To let it settle.

I initially had a lot of trouble getting the pressures right, but now i've figured it out. Everything i'd read was suggesting aroune 8-10 psi or highter, but then i realized i'd switched to shorter, smaller diamter lines and my backpressure was unaccounted for. Now i'm at about 5 psi, pours a little slowly, but it pours a nice pint.

Nate
09-20-2010, 04:52 PM
I bought a 10 L from Brewsters. I think they have 20L and 30L. They are not always available for purchase, but they will sell them when they have extra. It is only the one in the industrial Brewsters that you can get them at though.

They only charge a deposit on the kegs the same as if you were to purchase them. Just order a keg and not return it...

Crymson
09-20-2010, 07:42 PM
here's my finished setup

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs603.snc4/58374_10150272815070287_881585286_14914137_358353_n.jpg