PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic or body shops hiring apprentices?

Scuderia
09-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Anyone know of any mechanic or body shops hiring apprentices or trainees? I think I've been everywhere, but if anyone has the inside scoop please pm me or send me a link.

Rat Fink
09-09-2010, 04:32 PM

Scuderia
09-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Hey,

I read in your other thread that you have 2 years automotive experience. If you have a paper record of this (tax info stating how many hours you have into it) you can get your boss to verify those hours and count them towards your apprenticeship (when you get your foot back into the door).

I just got back into automotives this past January as a first year apprentice but had 3300 hours I could verify spent previously at different shops (had tax info and records of employment). There is a form my boss filled out, and I challenged 1st and 2nd year to become a third year apprentice and am going to be at the hours I need very shortly to become a 4th year apprentice.

Anyways, if you can get a record of your hours, use that as a bargaining chip to show you have more to offer than some newbie. Some managers don't know that form exists. You can get the papers through the apprenticeship office.

Thanks for the info. I plan on doing it for sure, especially considering how I've been through school for this and apprenticeships are a joke, I'd rather work without a license rather than spend another 4 years trying to get one. I know I could atleast jump to second year, if not third, because I heard the first year at SAIT is basic principles and brakes, light suspensions, etc. The only problem right now is finding a place that will bring on an apprentice. The search continues I guess.

crapstixs
09-26-2010, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Scuderia

Thanks for the info. I plan on doing it for sure, especially considering how I've been through school for this and apprenticeships are a joke, I'd rather work without a license rather than spend another 4 years trying to get one. I know I could atleast jump to second year, if not third, because I heard the first year at SAIT is basic principles and brakes, light suspensions, etc. The only problem right now is finding a place that will bring on an apprentice. The search continues I guess.

i know this is a old thread but what ever.
good luck finding a good job unlicesend. shits not going to happen, there are not many employers that are going to hire joe blow back yard mechanic. if you are not willing to spend 8 months in school over 4 years your not going to make it in this industry or any for that matter. yes, half of first year is "this is how you use a screw driver". but its not like that for the rest of the four years. for 2,3,4th year and red seal i bought the moduals and challenged the test. i studied my ass off and did pretty good. but if i were to do it again i would go to school, i missed alot of good stuff by not going, but thats the way my cards fell. if your not willing to put in the time you should just keep on flipping burgers and mcdonalds.
end of rant.
im drunk as fuck

Scuderia
09-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs

i know this is a old thread but what ever.
good luck finding a good job unlicesend. shits not going to happen, there are not many employers that are going to hire joe blow back yard mechanic. if you are not willing to spend 8 months in school over 4 years your not going to make it in this industry or any for that matter. yes, half of first year is "this is how you use a screw driver". but its not like that for the rest of the four years. for 2,3,4th year and red seal i bought the moduals and challenged the test. i studied my ass off and did pretty good. but if i were to do it again i would go to school, i missed alot of good stuff by not going, but thats the way my cards fell. if your not willing to put in the time you should just keep on flipping burgers and mcdonalds.
end of rant.
im drunk as fuck

Thanks for the great advice bud. I can see the success oozing out of that masterful post you just wrote. So you went to school for first year, and then challenged and successfully passed second, third, fourth, AND the Red Seal cert?:rolleyes:
I feel bad for whoevers shit you're working on, a fucking moron like you shouldn't be allowed to work on a remote control car. Ratfink, thanks again for the BELIEVABLE advice, I'm still looking around before I challenge anything, if I can't find a place where I can build a career or even start one, it might be time for a career change.

crapstixs
09-26-2010, 04:06 PM
more or less what i was saying is your not going to find a good career unless you are willing to work for it. if your not willing to go to school why even bother. yes my post was crud and i sorry if i hurt your feelings. your looking for the easy way, you want a good job and dont want to work for it. now i find it funny that you call me a shitty tech, you have no idea about my mechanical ability, seeing you dont even know my name, who i am, or the place i work for. so now who is starting to look like the fucking moron. your just pissed off because i told you the truth you dont want to hear. from reading your post ide say your fucking lazy but want a awsome job handed to you. good luck with that. the only reason i said i challenged a bunch of tests is because that was the route i took, and if i were to do it again i would go to school.

Scuderia
09-26-2010, 04:31 PM
more or less what i was saying is your not going to find a good career unless you are willing to work for it. if your not willing to go to school why even bother. yes my post was crud and i sorry if i hurt your feelings. your looking for the easy way, you want a good job and dont want to work for it. now i find it funny that you call me a shitty tech, you have no idea about my mechanical ability, seeing you dont even know my name, who i am, or the place i work for. so now who is starting to look like the fucking moron. your just pissed off because i told you the truth you dont want to hear. from reading your post ide say your fucking lazy but want a awsome job handed to you. good luck with that. the only reason i said i challenged a bunch of tests is because that was the route i took, and if i were to do it again i would go to school.

My feelings aren't hurt, it's my head that's hurting, because reading your fucking sorry excuse of a post is excrutiating. If you weren't so drunk off coolers and high of roofies, you would've noticed that I ALREADY went to school, 5 days a week, 7 hours a day, with no holidays or breaks for a year and a half straight. What I was taught was compressed and can arguably account for the first three years of what SAIT teaches you. Now what I'm saying is even if I can challenge the first or second years, I don't see the benefit in going back to school for another 2 years, and ending up spending almost 4 years in school to be a technician. If I'm going to spend 4 years in school, it's going to be for something else. Now don't post in my thread again, you've given all the help I can handle from a hobo for one day.

Sharpie
09-26-2010, 05:37 PM

My feelings aren't hurt, it's my head that's hurting, because reading your fucking sorry excuse of a post is excrutiating. If you weren't so drunk off coolers and high of roofies, you would've noticed that I ALREADY went to school, 5 days a week, 7 hours a day, with no holidays or breaks for a year and a half straight. What I was taught was compressed and can arguably account for the first three years of what SAIT teaches you. Now what I'm saying is even if I can challenge the first or second years, I don't see the benefit in going back to school for another 2 years, and ending up spending almost 4 years in school to be a technician. If I'm going to spend 4 years in school, it's going to be for something else. Now don't post in my thread again, you've given all the help I can handle from a hobo for one day.
So you went to school to become a mechanic for 72 weeks and you dont have even your 1st year?

Scuderia
09-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie

So you went to school to become a mechanic for 72 weeks and you dont have even your 1st year?

This was explained in the other thread. Went to school in the states, then moved here. In the states there's no such thing as apprentices or "first year", you go to school, get good grades, and start in the field.

crapstixs
09-26-2010, 06:34 PM
the states has better schools than we do, but our program is better up here. you would think if you went through allmost all of the US program you would just finnish it then transfer your ase to red seal? seriously i think you do need a new career. it really funny, i just called you a lazy fucktard. but you call me stupid and i dont know what im talking about. but your the one that is looking for work. i have a job and my license, and i have spent the last 8 years in this trade so yup im the stupid one. im thinking you cant find work because the problem is you.

Scuderia
09-26-2010, 07:54 PM
the states has better schools than we do, but our program is better up here. you would think if you went through allmost all of the US program you would just finnish it then transfer your ase to red seal? seriously i think you do need a new career. it really funny, i just called you a lazy fucktard. but you call me stupid and i dont know what im talking about. but your the one that is looking for work. i have a job and my license, and i have spent the last 8 years in this trade so yup im the stupid one. im thinking you cant find work because the problem is you.

I don't fuckin get why you're still posting in this thread. I really don't. I'm so tired of explaining this shit to you, and I assume you're a bit past puberty, so it's like talking to an adult zombie. I DON'T MIND GOING TO SCHOOL AGAIN. What I'm saying is if I'm going to go back to school, it will be for something else, as I can't justify spending 4 years of school to be a mechanic. I've been working in the trade for the last 3 years. I DON'T MIND GOING TO SCHOOL AGAIN. Sinse you have 8 years in the trade and all the "education" you can get, you would know that you cannot get into the apprenticeship program unless a shop or dealership hires you on and sponsors you. Hence the reason I made this thread, because I've applied at every dealership in calgary, and every shop I could find in 3 days of driving around. Now for the last time, please get the fuck out of the thread as you have contributed NOTHING.

crapstixs
09-27-2010, 02:16 AM
i like posting in your thread because it pisses you off. ok, now i will actually contruibute somthing so i can keep on posting.

go to the apprentiship office and talk to richard lichburn. he is a chill guy who knows that life is not cut and dry. explane your story to him. now canada sees the US program as more or less equal to ours. so if you show him proof that you have been to school and have proof of hours in the trade. he may put you into fourth year. i dont think he will let you just write the equivelence test because you dont have all of your ase. if they want to put you back to first year, i dont see that happening though. ide say it would be more advantages to got back to the states, redo the last of school. then come back and write the equivelency test. you may beable to do that with out a employer, get offical status of 3rd or 4th year then it will be much easyer to get a job. ide say you cant find a job right now because you look like a train wreak. your not even a apprentise and you have all but six months of your US training. i would rather hire a normal apprentise that some one with a shitload of baggage.

now your most likley going to come back and say you stupid fucking retard, your a total moron. go back to the trailer park dumb fuck. its funny because i have made some decent points against you on why you cant find a job and you just call me a moron. it realy shows your maturity level. by the way its going to take more that 3 days to find a job, you need to keep in mind your allmost compeating with high school kids because your not even a apprentise.

kvg
11-02-2010, 10:38 AM
So did you find anyone who would hire a unlicensed mechanic?:dunno:

Scuderia
11-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by kvg
So did you find anyone who would hire a unlicensed mechanic?:dunno:

Yeah a couple of small shops had no problem with it, they had nobody there that was licensed, a lot of shops have amazing mechanics who got their experience from a different country, so when they come here at a late age it makes no sense for them to get a piece of paper saying they can work on cars. I just went a different way with my career.

kvg
11-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Did any dealerships give call backs? I think alot of them hire direct from SAIT for new techs. Did you ever check to see if you can just challenge @ SAIT?

Scuderia
11-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by kvg
Did any dealerships give call backs? I think alot of them hire direct from SAIT for new techs. Did you ever check to see if you can just challenge @ SAIT?

Yeah honestly a Toyota dealership and a Mazda dealership called me to come in and do some test, I didn't go in, but I'm not sure what they wanted. I never really bothered to speak to SAIT, school just isn't looking like an option right now lol.

tomt64
11-02-2010, 02:32 PM

Yeah honestly a Toyota dealership and a Mazda dealership called me to come in and do some test, I didn't go in, but I'm not sure what they wanted.

To make sure you are not a walking disaster. Any dealer that is thinking of hiring a guy like you w/ nocredentials they want to see you do a few basic things like fluid changes/ tires etc. If you applied to EVERY dealer in Calgary Im pretty sure you will
of gotten more than 2 phone calls.
Call that mazda or toyota now and get your foot in te door, even if it means doing oil changes for 6 months. Look like you want to be there, be punctual and dont refuse any work; if you do that all you are going to go is up.

Scuderia
11-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by tomt64

To make sure you are not a walking disaster. Any dealer that is thinking of hiring a guy like you w/ nocredentials they want to see you do a few basic things like fluid changes/ tires etc. If you applied to EVERY dealer in Calgary Im pretty sure you will
of gotten more than 2 phone calls.
Call that mazda or toyota now and get your foot in te door, even if it means doing oil changes for 6 months. Look like you want to be there, be punctual and dont refuse any work; if you do that all you are going to go is up.

Yeah this was a while ago, like I said I've changed career paths and I'm not really looking for dealership work.

tomt64
11-02-2010, 04:28 PM

Yeah this was a while ago, like I said I've changed career paths and I'm not really looking for dealership work.

What kind of place are you thinking of working at?

lee88
11-02-2010, 05:16 PM
All Makes Automotive is hiring. Go visit them:thumbsup:

Scuderia
11-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Private shop mostly. Thanks for that recommendation lee88.

autosm
11-02-2010, 08:27 PM

Yeah a couple of small shops had no problem with it, they had nobody there that was licensed, a lot of shops have amazing mechanics who got their experience from a different country, so when they come here at a late age it makes no sense for them to get a piece of paper saying they can work on cars. I just went a different way with my career.

http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/index.html?page=trades_occupations.asp

To work as an Automotive Service Technician in Alberta, a person must be a registered apprentice or a certified journeyperson or hold a recognized trade certificate.

http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/index.html?page=trades_occupations.asp

or can demonstrate skills and experience in an Alberta-designated trade that meets standards set for journeypersons in Alberta
may be eligible to apply for trade certification under the Qualification Certificate Program http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/forms_publications/forms/pdf/appl_qual_cert.pdf

crapstixs
11-05-2010, 02:34 AM
were hiring a tire guy. pm me if your interested. im not kidding.

.norco.
11-05-2010, 12:39 PM
were hiring a tire guy. pm me if your interested. im not kidding.

What shop??