PDA

View Full Version : new car puchases

haley
12-25-2003, 06:20 AM
I plan to purchase a 2004 vehicle in the new year. I am looking at a Mazda M3 and a Toyota Corolla. How do I get info on reasonable pricing of these vehicles prior to negotiating prices etc with a sales person? I realize that the sales person has to make money on this which is fair and reasonable but how do I get info on reasonable pricing of these vehicles prior to negotiating? Any other suggestions/info would be appreciated.

4wheeldrift
12-25-2003, 08:57 AM
You can probably find all the information you need using google or another search engine. The manufacturers websites will give you info on options loadouts and that, and you can find out the dealer costs easily enough searching the web.

thich
12-25-2003, 09:40 AM
you won't be able to haggle with Toyota's new "Access Toyota" program.
I know for sure Stampede Toyota/Lexus uses it now - not so sure about the other toyota dealerships in Calgary tho.

pinoyhero
12-25-2003, 10:06 AM
Haggling for foreign cars is getting tougher and tougher these days.

thich
12-25-2003, 10:19 AM
it's not just foreign cars tho.
a lot of companies are beginning to take this new "no haggling" policy into effect.
it increases their profits by some.

we did a class on this in my marketing course and manufacturers decided to take on this new policy because a lot of new car purchasers are now white collar women who don't feel comfortable haggling.
So to ease the psychological anxiety associated with haggling, they decided to adopt the "no haggling" policy.. sorta sucks now for the rest of us who would like to get a car at a lower price. :(

EK 2.0
12-25-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by thich
you won't be able to haggle with Toyota's new "Access Toyota" program.
I know for sure Stampede Toyota/Lexus uses it now - not so sure about the other toyota dealerships in Calgary tho.

All Toyota Dealerships across Canada have adopted that policy...Access Toyota is kinda a cool thing, but yeah sucks for anyone who wants a few bucks off...

max_boost
12-25-2003, 01:42 PM
But that is the equivalent to price fixing which is also illegal!!:D If you can't get anything off MSRP, I'm sure they can throw in some options. If they are unwilling, just call up another dealership. For example, if the A/C is the difference between making a sale, I'm sure they will compromise.;)

Do not fear, if you want to bargain, buy a used car that's in great condition!:thumbsup:

C4S
12-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Mazda 3 ! :thumbsup: much nicer then a Corolla ! ( unless you are a 58 yr old chinese lady, otherwise, no Corolla please ! ) :thumbsup:
Cousin of my gf just got the Mazda, I dont think he got any discount ... :poosie:

But you can ask for discount ! however, I think most the new car now, their prices are very fair, a $20,000 car, not much discount to get, if they dicount the car for you, good, if not, still fine ! :D
If you think the price is fair, then buy it ! :thumbsup:

M_Power
12-25-2003, 09:20 PM
If you are from Alberta try this link: http://www.ama.ab.ca/cgi-ebs/automotive/everything_auto.jsp
AMA provides info on new and used car prices

cobber112879
12-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Have you driven the Mazda 3? The 2.3l version is a very fun car to drive.

haley
12-29-2003, 06:33 AM
There was a series on TV wrt Access Toyota and in the GTA, they are still bargaining as per usual. I believe that this was considered a form of price fixing. At any rate, this has not be instituted here as of yet. I found some MRSP/Invoice prices on the internet, but for the US only.

Thanks for all your help

ugotahondaeh?
12-29-2003, 07:59 AM
here's a good read on Toyota's Access Program.

CLICK HERE (http://www.ic.gc.ca/cmb/welcomeic.nsf/0/85256a220056c2a485256cf70058d087?OpenDocument)

When i was dealin' with Stampede Toyota/Lexus the salesman kept tellin' me that he can't haggle cause the dealership would be punished or fined. I showed him the document and he went and got his sales manager. Basically the sales manager told me they weren't willin' to haggle for the sake of the program’s integrity. (Access Toyota):rolleyes: In the end, I got 'em to throw in a few things for free (side step bars, cargo mats and a cargo net = total value of $605.00) I know it's not much but I did get something out of a program that was suppose to be haggle free. :D

rogue
12-29-2003, 05:11 PM
hehe i got $1500 off my car. The key to mine was i got a brand new 03 when the 04 were just unveiled and introduced ( i prefered the 03 anyways so worked out good) Also dont be afraid to stick to your guns if the guy at mazda says he cant do it just go to one of the other 2 mazda dealerships. Northhill mazda is pretty good i had a mazdaspeed protege on hold but cancelled and when i went in to cancel they told me they can negotiate on the price ( and that car is fairly rare) well good luck.:D :burnout: