PDA

View Full Version : Monthly car maintenance?

copynpaste
09-09-2010, 11:56 PM
These are hondas maintenance recommendations. So for all the checkups can I take it into a blaskin and lane or minute lube to get it done or does it have to be at honda?

Honda maintenance manual says I need to check on these every MONTH.

1) Engine Oil
2) Coolant level
3) Windshiled washer fluid
4) Auto Transmission Fluid
5) Brake fluid
6) tire pressure

Maintenance manual also says

Replace Fuel Filter every 48km
Refill Differential oil every 48km
Do interior pollent filter inspection every 48km
Wheel alignment every 24km
Brake Fluid replacement every 3 years
Coolant Replacement every 3 years
Timing belt replacement every 100,000KM.
Water pump replacement every 100,000KM
Gaskets replacement every 100,000 KM
Emission services 60km
Powersteer flush every 72km
Auto Transmission flushevery 72km

Whats the best way to tackle all these?

Kardon
09-10-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm sure its 43000 for diff fluid and stuff and all those monthly things just requires you popping the hood for 5 min once a month, what do you expect? Its just using your eyes

msommers
09-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Monthly maintenance is overkill unless you're racking up some serious mileage per month. Not that it would take long to check those things you listed...but seriously tranny fluid levels?! Ridonkulous.

FYI, make your own decisions about auto tranny flushes. A simple drain and fill would be my recommendation.

Don't forget cabin filter if you have one, I think they're ~30,000km.

Rat Fink
09-10-2010, 12:09 AM

copynpaste
09-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I don't know what Hondas view is like on shitty quick lube places, but at my dealership we have seen a lot of Ford engines blown due to shitty oil filters breaking apart and clogging up oil galleries and resulting in engine failures. Its bad enough we have received memos stating if there is an engine failure and the vehicle is found to have one of the shitty quick lube filters on it....then warranty is VOID. We've cut open old fram, penzoil, and quaker state filters and seen wide open holes through the filter elements!! (meaning they have been doing nothing to filter the oil). Some of the cheap filters don't have anti-drainback valves that add to not having as much oil to the top end on startup than using an oem filter too.

Talk to Honda about it. Maybe you can still go to those places if you bring your own oil filter for them to install (purchased from honda). I would recommend using honda filters.

k thanks, sounds like ill just stick with Honda for the
maintence.

So ill stick with honda filters and probably best to stick with honda oil too?

Rat Fink
09-10-2010, 12:37 AM

copynpaste
09-10-2010, 06:48 AM
Cool thx rat. So how many KMs can i expect out of honda engines? When it goes id imagine a new engine would cost the same of a new car so prob not even worth it then huh

texasnick
09-10-2010, 07:52 AM
+1 for OEM filters

....and be careful going to Mr. Lube type places. I have seen them do some really stupid stuff before.

Oil only takes about 15 minutes to change yourself. Could save some $$$.

What car do you have? Depending on year (I assume it's a civic), used motors are typically very cheap. Plus, depending on year, you could probably find a new one at the pick n pull for $150.

94boosted
09-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by copynpaste
Cool thx rat. So how many KMs can i expect out of honda engines? When it goes id imagine a new engine would cost the same of a new car so prob not even worth it then huh

Nobody can tell you that exactly but if the motor is properly maintained and not bagged on too much it could last you 1,000,000km by the same token it can crap out at 200k.

As for the replacement cost it varies a lot depending on the car a base civic motor is not going to cost as much as the car itself

Strider
09-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Honda maintenance manual says I need to check on these every MONTH.

1) Engine Oil
2) Coolant level
3) Windshiled washer fluid
4) Auto Transmission Fluid
5) Brake fluid
6) tire pressure

This is just pull out the dipstick yourself and check oil level, top up if necessary type stuff... which surprisingly few people even do these days. Not really "maintenance".

Taking your car in monthly =:facepalm:

911fever
09-10-2010, 11:22 PM
:facepalm: :facepalm:

Drsuce
09-11-2010, 12:36 PM
what kind of honda do you own? ive only ever seen "emission service" needed on domestics.... yet to see a honda engine has carbon issues

whiskas
09-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Emission service basically means an italian tune up.

It's wise to do it with any car at least once a tank of gas.

Graham_A_M
09-11-2010, 06:09 PM

k thanks, sounds like ill just stick with Honda for the
maintence.

So ill stick with honda filters and probably best to stick with honda oil too?
LOL, Honda puts their name on another companies oil, you really dont have to use official Honda oil.
If you *really* care about your car, use AmsOil as that stuff is incredible. The "Honda" oil is probably just re-labeled Castrol or the like.

No you dont have to use "Honda" air filters, or check the tranny fluid monthly. Check the oil every time you fill up to gauge how quickly it burns oil; if at all.
K & N Makes some decent air filters, so you may want to consider buying one of them, since you only need to buy one. Just clean it regularly.

Your Engine should last as long as any other average engine, so 300k plus.... perhaps 500k if you really take care of it. Worst case scenario a replacement engine from any wrecker will be $600-$1200 depending on where you go and how many km's it'll have on it.

msommers
09-12-2010, 05:23 AM
OEM filters are not necessary the best available. Search around to find out online what they are made of. Personally, I like WIk's and K&N because of their quality rubber, number of perforations in the filter material and metal construction. You'd be surprised how many oil filters use cardboard in them.

bestsynoil
09-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Cooked Rice
09-15-2010, 01:01 PM
:werd:

It's preventative maintenance, pretty much just topping up fluids that may have become low. It literally only takes 3 minutes to check all 6 of those items.

Automatic tranny fluid now a days doesn't even have to be changed, unless it gets burnt from heavy towing etc... Many new vehicles don't even have AT dipsticks anymore.

CapnCrunch
09-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Its bad enough we have received memos stating if there is an engine failure and the vehicle is found to have one of the shitty quick lube filters on it....then warranty is VOID.

Lol, thats illegal.