PDA

View Full Version : Facebook a big hit with narcissists: study

Super_Geo
09-10-2010, 09:25 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/personal-tech/facebook-a-big-hit-with-narcissists-study/article1698694/

York University research also finds social networking site appeals to people with low self-esteem

:rofl:

I'm not very active on FB, but I'm definitely going to post this one up for all the clowns who update their status 10x a day!

Cos
09-10-2010, 09:32 AM
I just deleted my FB last week. So far nothing major has happened. Sure there are a couple people I could use their email address or something, but I will just get one of my addicted family members to get it for me.

Gainsbarre
09-10-2010, 09:37 AM
I seldom use Facebook anymore anyways. Would have been nice if the article included pictures of the researcher instead of a computer screen...(Persian female name, so she's probably hot :D )

ercchry
09-10-2010, 09:46 AM
as funny as you may find this study... it was pretty poorly executed...

and with their definitions of narcissist and low self-esteem it really does not leave much room for anyone else :rofl:

either you love yourself or you hate yourself... either way you are on facebook!

The study defined narcissism as a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and an exaggerated sense of self-importance.

Self-esteem was identified as a person's overall self-evaluation or their worth.

n1zm0
09-10-2010, 09:47 AM
i deleted mine over 4 years ago back when it wasn't a social 'addiction', now its ridiculous, ppl get sent to jail because of the shit they divulge (like that baby-killer teen mother a while back) on their profile, so much drama - little kids dont need to break up/cheat/lie in person anymore, hey fk, even 12 year old girls arrange sex meetings and get raped! lol ridiculous i think.

social networking crap is THE creator for the 'myspace angle', 'duck lips pose', even the emo and 'scene hair' pictures all those gay things about life that really all came from the internet imo.

i'm so happy i got out of it when i did, if someone from HS wants to call me and get ahold of me, my cell # hasnt changed since JH and has an extremely easy number sequence so meh, ppl dig their own graves with that stuff.

side note a good JH friend who went to harvard finance or w/e was friends with zuckerberg during his early beginnings with FB and he saw the guy go from normal humble jewish kid to super greedy (stereotypical?) jewish kid.

Z_Fan
09-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Fuck face book.

Cos
09-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
Fuck face book.

well said

arian_ma
09-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Quoted from Ahmadinejad's Twitter page:

I like to retaliate by burning a book that you Americans hold dear, but the only book you care about is Facebook.

http://twitter.com/M_Ahmadinejad/status/24007026734

Gainsbarre
09-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Quoted from Ahmadinejad's Twitter page:

http://twitter.com/M_Ahmadinejad/status/24007026734

:rofl: ...then I looked at the other tweets, and it's clearly a fake account.

Oh well, still funny as many of them are quite clever :rofl:

http://twitter.com/M_Ahmadinejad

Canmorite
09-10-2010, 11:53 AM
I see that the Great Satan's favorite pastime is back: watching illiterate man boys smashing into each together on Saturdays.

You Americans never cease to amaze! I thought that cows were only sacred for Hindus, and then I saw a pic of your revered Snooki.

WhippWhapp
09-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Facebook- what would I need it for?

I've managed just fine for 36years without it, and I like to keep some semblance of privacy in my life. Anyone that's important to me already knows what I am up to for the most part.

Plus, from what I've seen with family and friends it seems to cause drama?

GOnSHO
09-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by WhippWhapp
Facebook- what would I need it for?

I've managed just fine for 36years without it, and I like to keep some semblance of privacy in my life. Anyone that's important to me already knows what I am up to for the most part.

Plus, from what I've seen with family and friends it seems to cause drama?

caused nothing but drama with me and my ex fiance...

Modelexis
09-10-2010, 12:33 PM
As with most things in life, moderation is key.

Will read the article at a later time, but I tend to agree with the theory that facebook caters to narcissists.

Sugarphreak
09-10-2010, 12:44 PM

Awd-Tsi
09-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Facebook is the only book I read.

Spoons
09-10-2010, 01:07 PM
I just use facebook to tell the world how much I hate it, and that is about it.