PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Patriot ... Opinions

5hift
09-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I was wondering if there are any Patriot owners on here who could give me some unbiased opinions on 2008 and newer Patriots.

I realize the common conception is that its a Chrysler piece of junk, but from what research I`ve done it seems to have decent reliability and actual off road capability as they are trail rated. On the Jeep forums, most owners seem really happy with their Patriots, and a lot seem to push them quite hard off road, etc.

My girlfriend is considering buying one as she needs a cheap, gas efficient, capable small 4X4, and wants new as possible.

Ive been looking and you can get a mint fully loaded Limited (leather, nav, etc) 2008 with under 40K for about $18K. Almost everyone for sale seems to have a balance remaining of both the bumper to bumper as well as the engine and drive train warranties.

She actually likes the looks and interior, and doesn't mind the annoying drone of the CVT tranny.

Can anyone who has actually owned or driven one give me some honest feedback, besides `my coworkers sister in law has one and its already falling apart`.

Phenix
09-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Have you guys looked at the chevy equinox yet? It's nicer

bituerbo
09-10-2010, 11:50 AM
I know 3 people that drive one, they're all chicks.
Never seen a dude driving one yet. It's based on the Dodge Caliber isn't it?

911fever
09-10-2010, 11:55 AM
they are pretty awful to drive and suffer poor resale. Personally I'd rather recommend a Lexus RX350, a used one is decently small enough, good on gas, super reliable, good resale. If that's too big, go look at a CR-V 4WD?

Aleks
09-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
I was wondering if there are any Patriot owners on here who could give me some unbiased opinions on 2008 and newer Patriots.

I realize the common conception is that its a Chrysler piece of junk, but from what research I`ve done it seems to have decent reliability and actual off road capability as they are trail rated. On the Jeep forums, most owners seem really happy with their Patriots, and a lot seem to push them quite hard off road, etc.

My girlfriend is considering buying one as she needs a cheap, gas efficient, capable small 4X4, and wants new as possible.

Ive been looking and you can get a mint fully loaded Limited (leather, nav, etc) 2008 with under 40K for about $18K. Almost everyone for sale seems to have a balance remaining of both the bumper to bumper as well as the engine and drive train warranties.

She actually likes the looks and interior, and doesn't mind the annoying drone of the CVT tranny.

Can anyone who has actually owned or driven one give me some honest feedback, besides `my coworkers sister in law has one and its already falling apart`.

I think they upgraded the interior in 2009. See if you can get one of those in her budget. I've been in a new one as a rental and seems like a decent ride for the $$ you pay the only complaint is the very small fuel tank. Something like 40L

5hift
09-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Phenix

I have not but will look into it. I was telling her already if she is considering one domestic to look at all of them such as the Escape, etc. I think what stands out about the Jeep to her is its looks,pricing and gas mileage though.

Originally posted by bituerbo
I know 3 people that drive one, they're all chicks.
Never seen a dude driving one yet. It's based on the Dodge Caliber isn't it?

I would rarely if ever drive it, so the fact that its a considered a chick car doesn't really concern me. I have also seen a few of them lifted with mudders on Jeep forums and was surprised with how decent they look then.

It is based on the Mitsubishi GS platform, which is used by a lot of cars: Caliber, Journey, Patriot, Compass, Outlander, Lancer, Lancer Evo X.

Originally posted by 911fever
they are pretty awful to drive and suffer poor resale. Personally I'd rather recommend a Lexus RX350, a used one is decently small enough, good on gas, super reliable, good resale. If that's too big, go look at a CR-V 4WD?

What do you mean by pretty awful to drive. You cant really compare a entry level SUV to a Lexus luxury ute in terms of ride though.

I also have not seen a Lexus Rx350 for under 18K unless it has like 300,000 kms. Same with the CR-V, Rav-4, etc. We both know they are better suv`s. But in her price range, she can only get a older one, or a really base model one, and she prefers new as possible.

Originally posted by Aleks

I think they upgraded the interior in 2009. See if you can get one of those in her budget.

You are right, the 09 interior is much better. The functionality is pretty much the same, its just one looks much better. I think part of the reason the 08 Limited is considerably cheaper than the 09 Limited is because of this. But in her price range she couldn't get a limited 09. And she is a girl so a fancy nav, leather seats, etc are more important than a pleasant looking interior.

FraserB
09-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Whoever told you they were capable offroad isnt too bright.

5hift
09-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Whoever told you they were capable offroad isnt too bright.

From Canadian Driver

`The Trail Rated badge attests to the fact this Jeep could tackle the Rubicon Trail, undisputedly North America’s toughest off-road test.

Having personally driven the two-day long route over the Rubicon Trail which involved eight hours of manoeuvring through seven miles of gorges, traversing rivers, scaling rock piles on the first day with food being flown in by helicopter, I can vouch for the integrity of the Trail Rated badge.

In fact, in my opinion, the 2008 Trail Rated Jeep Patriot 4×4 is the most capable off-road vehicle in the crowded compact SUV class. Although few buyers will tackle the Rubicon, Jeep recommends this version for those involved in off-road situations that include steep grades, occasional wheel lift, moderate rock or log climbing and fording up to 19 inches of water.`

5hift
09-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Phenix

Just did some research on this and it has about the worst reliability records I have ever seen for a vehicle. Consumer Reports (CR) has a laundry list a mile long, reliability and build issues are mentioned in many magazine reviews.

JZS_147
09-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by 911fever

I completely agree. The RX350 and the CRV are both much better choices for a small/mid size SUV over the patriot.

sillysod
09-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by JZS_147

I completely agree. The RX350 and the CRV are both much better choices for a small/mid size SUV over the patriot.

I think that a Diesel Q7 or AMG G-wagon is more what he is really looking for.

Sugarphreak
09-10-2010, 01:23 PM

sillysod
09-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

but like those, I wouldn't dare take it off-road.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/u80zfFt2T04/0.jpg

haha.... this is a setup for disaster.

Dave P
09-10-2010, 02:09 PM
My gf just got a brand new limited patriot. Its a pretty sweet ride for a girl, but my god is it gutless. and it sounds like a clapped out dissel

Kloubek
09-10-2010, 02:10 PM
It is not a true offroad vehicle. But it could do so in a pinch, and I'm certain it would do just as well (likely better) than the RX you guys are suggesting.

Besides this, I don't think the OP ever claimed it was going to be used for hard-core offroading did he? He just mentioned it was supposed to have offroad capabilities.

...and it DOES look reasonably capable:

gTYMFvcZQbw

BerserkerCatSplat
09-10-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure I'd take the Patriot too far off roads, but at least it's better than the POS Compass. The Patriot isn't a mad offroad machine, but it's quite good on gas and if the craziest offroading it'll see is a rough dirt track then it'll likely do fine. I'd say it's more competent offroad than most the SUVs in its class, but can't compare to more focused designs.

That said, for a small SUV with some offroading pretensions, I'd be looking at a late first-gen Liberty with the 3.7L and Renegade package.

5hift
09-10-2010, 03:18 PM
She is not planning on doing any off-roading in it, she just wants something that is very capable in the winter. She sometimes has to go on pretty rough country roads that do not get snowplows at all in the winter.

The CRV doesn't even have 4X4. It is more of a FWD with assistance only after you slip. Won`t really do good if you are already stuck in snow. You cannot put it in four wheel mode and get yourself out. It is by far the least capable of all the small suvs I`ve looked at.

Another problem with all newer Honda's, is they all have tiny batteries, and no room to upgrade in size. I mean barely enough to start the engine, and far smaller than any other auto manufacturers. Thats fine and all when you live in Calgary and drive a lot daily, but when you live in a small town and dont drive daily (and when you do, for not long enough to charge up the battery), this results in the car not starting very easily. We have had this problem with several different Honda`s (but no other manufacturer) and the dealership admitted this is because of the smaller batteries, and a common problem with retired seniors who go days without driving. I do not want to be driving all over to give her a boost again as I did regularly with her 06 Civic.

93VR6
09-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Watched that video and damn, that thing is much more capable then I ever imagined.

For the money I think this is one of the best options considering what you are looking for.

Phenix
09-10-2010, 03:24 PM

Just did some research on this and it has about the worst reliability records I have ever seen for a vehicle. Consumer Reports (CR) has a laundry list a mile long, reliability and build issues are mentioned in many magazine reviews.

Dam, here's hoping the one my GF got is better than that. her''s is brand new. although had one stupid thing with it so far. had a radio button fall out, and they have to replace the whole radio to get the button. Chev sure is stupid. lol

Sugarphreak
09-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Xtrema
09-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Been in one. CVT buzz too much on highway speed. Fuel economy isn't bad for what it is. Fit and finish is piss poor.

A new stripped one can be had for $13K a few months back. I will not pay more than $10K for a used one.

guessboi
09-10-2010, 04:25 PM
I have an 09 for my work truck. is gutless but at least I have some fun with it since it has a manual shift for the automatic. Is cheap transportation, no trouble for me in the past year with a lot of miles on it. lots of room. is actually pretty decent for the price. quality is cheap built. :D

BerserkerCatSplat
09-10-2010, 04:42 PM
She is not planning on doing any off-roading in it, she just wants something that is very capable in the winter. She sometimes has to go on pretty rough country roads that do not get snowplows at all in the winter.

In that case, I think the Patriot would certainly be a solid choice. It gets good gas mileage (especially with a manual) and will be quite good in the winter with a good set of tires.

Aleks
09-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

I think that a Diesel Q7 or AMG G-wagon is more what he is really looking for.

No doubt a $30-40K RX 350 as alternative to a sub 20K Jeep Patriot? :banghead:

theken
09-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by JZS_147

I completely agree. The RX350 and the CRV are both much better choices for a small/mid size SUV over the patriot. . Yeah I would rather buy a lamborghini gallardo over a miata. He's saying reasonable priced and a crv is an over priced piece of incapable garbage and a lexus is way over priced for what you get. If she really wants a patriot I would say go for it they are decent and for what she would be using it for would be perfect.

911fever
09-10-2010, 11:03 PM
you can get used Lexus RX350's for under 20k in the US with low mileage. They are good in snow, so is the CR-V. But if the Patriot rocks her world, go for it. Just beware of the reliability, resale, and CVT drone.

guessboi
09-11-2010, 12:13 AM
I did some offroad rally on my way to Oyen, AB last week with the patriot...travelling over 100km on gravel...It was pretty fun, and very capable. Is not a bad truck overall, just make sure she knows how to shift gears with the CVT otherwise it sucks big time! :nut: