PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a truck tire

sxtasy
09-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Well I need a truck tire that meets the following criteria:

all terrain/mud terrain tread pattern, something that is a good compromise between highway and light offroad

Load range E and 10 ply tread

Good tire life is very important to me as my truck weighs around 9k pounds and goes through tires like crazy

Right now I am running Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/55/20, I am willing to consider other compatible sizes. I like the Terra Grapplers, although I am hoping to find something with better tread life and better rain handling characteristics.

Tires I have been thinking of:
Nitto Terra Grapplers
Toyo Open Country M/T
hankook dynapro mt

I am also open to other suggestions, so far everything seems to be around the 2k price range, so I would like to pick a tire that will hopefully last a few years

Unknown303
09-11-2010, 01:44 AM
The Toyo M/T's would be my choice. I had them on my duramax and they were wearing really well. Have to rotate them a lot to keep the wearing nice though.

big A
09-11-2010, 09:22 AM
I was gonna say Toyo as well. Mine are great, thanks for the advice on rotating them I didn't know that.

DonJuan
09-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Dont forget the BFG AT KO. They wear well from what I understand.

parabs
09-11-2010, 09:36 AM
The toyos are heavy which compromises fuel economy a bit, but they are a very good, long lasting tire.

Also consider the Nitto Trail Grappler, kinda an a/t and m/t hybird.

I would toss out the dynapros. I have seen them cup badly even when rotated every 10k kms.

Dont forget about goodyear either, they have a newer tire that is interesting, it is the Wrangler Duratrac. It is another a/t and m/t hybrid, it is studable, light and quiet. Buddy has a set of 35's on his f150 and loves them. I have noticed many company trucks that work in the oil sands are running them as well

ExtraSlow
09-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Thoughts on the Revo's or Wrangle SilentArmors? Both rate pretty well on tirerack.

parabs
09-11-2010, 09:37 AM
also, if you are/know of anyone who is a direct buy member, you can get toyo's for a verrry good price.

Gary@UrbanX
09-11-2010, 12:26 PM
pm sent:thumbsup:

Cos
09-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Thoughts on the Revo's or Wrangle SilentArmors? Both rate pretty well on tirerack.

Buddy has silentarmors on his GMC and loves them. Personally not aggressive enough for me but his stock Sierra with 20's it seems to work well.

Gary, can you guys get the Duratracs? Any input on them?

Unknown303
09-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Or get this guy.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/gy_wrangler_mtrkev_1000.jpg

That will probably be my next tire.

Cos
09-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Or get this guy.

That will probably be my next tire.

oooooooooo purdy

dynamo
09-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

Gary@UrbanX
09-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Buddy has silentarmors on his GMC and loves them. Personally not aggressive enough for me but his stock Sierra with 20's it seems to work well.

Gary, can you guys get the Duratracs? Any input on them?

We definitley can get the Wrangler Duratracs. These are a great on/off road tire, they offer enhanced traction in deep mud and snow. Additionally they are pinned so you have the option for metal studs which would offer that extra traction in winter driving conditions. I put these on a buddy's Sierra Duramax (he is no pavement princess either lol) and he has yet to say anything bad about them.

If you need a price on these feel free to shoot me a pm.

sxtasy
09-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Hey Gary, thanks for the informative message. If I lived in Calgary I would definitely give you a shout, I am in BC though. I did just order the Duratracs in a 305/55/20, for $1980 installed at crappy tire (best price I could find). Hopefully these last a little longer than the bfg at's and nitto terra grapplers.

Alak
09-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Canadian tire sells good year wrangler 'territory' tires. they are specific to canadian market only, and they are VERY inexpensive from what I understand. I was thinking of getting a set for my rover based on price alone.

Gary@UrbanX
09-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
Hey Gary, thanks for the informative message. If I lived in Calgary I would definitely give you a shout, I am in BC though. I did just order the Duratracs in a 305/55/20, for $1980 installed at crappy tire (best price I could find). Hopefully these last a little longer than the bfg at's and nitto terra grapplers.

No problem, hope they work out for you.:thumbsup:

TKRIS
09-12-2010, 12:22 AM
I have Terra Grapplers on my truck now, and they seem pretty good.
The set of Hankook MTs I had on a previous vehicle were OK after I grooved and siped them.
I wasn't at all impressed with the MTRs (similar, but surely not the exact same as the duratracs) that I've had. They look cool, but they're too expensive, too noisy, and have too poor drivability for what they are. I'm willing to deal with a noisy tire that likes to wander if it makes up for it in the mud, but for how well the MTRs worked, I'd have been better off with a set of BFG ATs (looks aside). It's not that they were terrible, it's just that they weren't good enough to deal with their mediocre performance on-road and high price tag. Maybe they've fixed this with the new models.

I like these Terra Grapplers. Seem like a good tire at a really good price (if you look around). When these ones kick the bucket, I'll probably stick with Nitto and try the Trails.

My brother has run the silent armors on his duramax and hated them. They lasted about 20,000km, and that's pretty well all on-road. He's actually ran a lot of those type of highway tires on his last couple diesels and finally settled on BFG ATs for summer and Nokians for winter (not sure which). Seems to be the only setup he can get that'll actually last.
I had a set of Mud Grapplers on my last truck (Super Duty Diesel) and they seemed to last well, but I wouldn't recommend them for, well, anything really. I didn't go mudding, but I got the feeling that they wouldn't be very good in the snow/ice, or in mud, and they were loud as hell on the highway. Look cool though...

AE92_TreunoSC
09-12-2010, 12:40 AM
I never liked wranglers of any variant for uneven wear and feathering, even if rotated every other oil change.

I'm a fan of BFG and Toyo's E rated tyres and have seen good life span out of them if rotated and properly pressured.

Nitto had a good heavy duty, but I think only Fountain Tire sells them now.

sxtasy
09-12-2010, 12:53 AM
dam you guys are making me reconsider going with the goodyears, I have never had a set of them before. After more research tonight I am really considering the Nitto Dura Grappler, since the majority of my travel is highway. Any input on these?

http://www.nittotire.com/index.html#index.tire.duragrappler.overview

AE92_TreunoSC
09-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Nitto would be my first choice if they were still accessable to private shops like mine haha.

We installed about 3 sets of those Dura Grapplers and they have performed very well with no complaints. Plus the price is considerably lower then the BFG's if I recall.

SKR
09-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by TKRIS
I have Terra Grapplers on my truck now, and they seem pretty good.
The set of Hankook MTs I had on a previous vehicle were OK after I grooved and siped them.
I wasn't at all impressed with the MTRs (similar, but surely not the exact same as the duratracs) that I've had. They look cool, but they're too expensive, too noisy, and have too poor drivability for what they are. I'm willing to deal with a noisy tire that likes to wander if it makes up for it in the mud, but for how well the MTRs worked, I'd have been better off with a set of BFG ATs (looks aside). It's not that they were terrible, it's just that they weren't good enough to deal with their mediocre performance on-road and high price tag. Maybe they've fixed this with the new models.

I like these Terra Grapplers. Seem like a good tire at a really good price (if you look around). When these ones kick the bucket, I'll probably stick with Nitto and try the Trails.

My brother has run the silent armors on his duramax and hated them. They lasted about 20,000km, and that's pretty well all on-road. He's actually ran a lot of those type of highway tires on his last couple diesels and finally settled on BFG ATs for summer and Nokians for winter (not sure which). Seems to be the only setup he can get that'll actually last.
I had a set of Mud Grapplers on my last truck (Super Duty Diesel) and they seemed to last well, but I wouldn't recommend them for, well, anything really. I didn't go mudding, but I got the feeling that they wouldn't be very good in the snow/ice, or in mud, and they were loud as hell on the highway. Look cool though...

I sure had different experiences than you.

I had Goodyear MTRs (the old style, not the new one pictured above) on my '05 Dodge diesel. I got 70,000km out of them and they probably had another 10-15 left. I ran 45psi in them and rotated them once, at about 50,000km. I got rid of them because I had them for four years, and they got so hard that wet pavement was like ice. I could swap ends at 100km/hr if I floored it. And I wouldn't say they were noisy, but my truck was also straight piped so that might have drowned it out.

I have also ran BFG AT's on my F-350 and they didn't wear very good. My brother had some on his last two F-350s too and they didn't last very long. I know a few other people with them on HD trucks that don't like them either.

I'd buy another set of MTRs if I didn't spend 4 of the last 5 years with them. As good as they were for me I want to look at something different. I will say this though, stay away from the Interco Trxus STS. That's what I put on my Dodge after the MTRs. They scream, they have no lateral grip (but tons of forward grip), and they're square. My truck sat for a week and when I drove it again it took about an hour for the tires to get round again. And they were more expensive than MTRs.

Iqoair
09-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Hands down, the Toyo MT's. I run them on my F-350 and just love them. Not as noisy as most, and you can get a crapload of mileage out of them. Most people get 100K + from a set. I've had them on for 15,000 kms so far.