PDA

View Full Version : Demerit points. Grid Level?

alanaround
09-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Afternoon all..

I've read various articles and the 'NOTICE' post above and just wanted some clarification.. I'm new to Alberta (and Canada) and have recently (6 months ago) obtained car insurance. Today I got a speeding ticket. I'm not going to fight it, I was speeding, and although annoyed with myself, that's what happens if you (I) choose to speed.

After some research it looks like i'm headed for 3 demerit points and looking through my insurance documentation for signs of where this would show (assuming it would show 0 right now?) I can't see anything, only a 'Grid' Level which is currently '-009'. Does 3 demerits add onto this to make -6 then? Or is this seperate?

Also, I have been told, rightly or wrongly, that if I take an approved course, I may possibly get up to 3 demerits removed from my license, is this an option?

cheers,
Al

Wehbeast
09-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Depending on your insurance company, they usually forgive ur first ticket

Masked Bandit
09-11-2010, 06:49 PM
The demerit value of the ticket does not impact your GRID rating. It's the fact that it's a ticket. And tickets don't actually affect your grid rating. Two or more tickets start adding a surcharge to your GRID rating however if you are a -9 there's a strong chance that you're not actually being GRID rated. Your GRID position will usually show on your policy documents anyway but I wouldn't stress about this too much.

What is the name of your actual insurance company (not broker)?

alanaround
09-11-2010, 09:40 PM
thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I'm with Intact.