PDA

View Full Version : Is the vibration from a high powered subwoofer bad for the car chasis or even engine?

copynpaste
09-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Just curious. I have some friends who have crazy bass and it makes their entire car chasis rattle. That made me think, it cant be good for the car all that vibration and jolting. And how about the engine? Any long term effects on the car from the subwoofer?

SJW
09-11-2010, 07:58 PM
I'd say the only way you'd damage anything is if you matched the subwoofer with the natural frequency of the chassis. Then everything would resonate and eventually fatigue to failure.

So no.

revelations
09-11-2010, 08:13 PM
How the heck can a vibrating engine suffer damage from a sub ? :dunno:

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
09-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Bass hit once and shattered my window, I figured there was already a crack in the tempered glass, so it was only a matter of time.

It probably wont do anything to the chasis or frame, but isn't good for the glass, I've also seen loose screws rattle out in my car, but not important ones.

Tram Common
09-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
Bass hit once and shattered my window, I figured there was already a crack in the tempered glass, so it was only a matter of time.

It probably wont do anything to the chasis or frame, but isn't good for the glass, I've also seen loose screws rattle out in my car, but not important ones.

I've never seen a cars bass shatter a window before no matter how loud it was. Not even at DB Drag events when guys are setting world records for their classes in their stock Honda's and Mazda's.

Awd-Tsi
09-12-2010, 04:03 AM
I swear I have random rattles now in my car that slowly got worse from when I got it. I blame the beat down low

Kavy
09-12-2010, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Tram Common

I've never seen a cars bass shatter a window before no matter how loud it was. Not even at DB Drag events when guys are setting world records for their classes in their stock Honda's and Mazda's.

Really?
I would be willing to bet it's because its common practice for most high level competitors to replace their windshields with super thick lexan to prevent seal issues and help increase the DB within the vehicle.

I however doubt the stock mazda's and honda's and those modifications :)

I have seen 3 windows break at IASCA events I have attended.

Given it takes about 150-170db to break a window.

The windows however dont shatter everywhere they just spider crack to all high heaven.

If the window is already cracked it will just crack even more, the seals tend to go before the window.

Here is one of about 100 videos on youtube of it happening.

RqiIk5Mb01E

boarderfatty
09-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I have heard from a few sources that certain resonating frequencies will interfere with your kidneys performing dialsis properly. When I used to have subs I used to experiment having the subs cranked and having then turned off and noticed that I was needing to take a piss more frequently and the shade of yellow was different without having much change to my diet. I have never seriously cared about it, and never done any real research into these statements but I no longer have subs in my cars. The reason I don't have them now is not because of this, but because I like my hearing and I would rather listen to my music than hear some distorted garble, feel vibrations, and listen to the rattle of my trunk, mirrors, windows etc.

AndyL
09-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Saw an astrovan a few years ago at PYP that was obviously a DB drag competitor... Literally coming apart at the seams - all those body seams to be specific. Seam sealer and spot welds literally pulling apart and separating.

Graham_A_M
09-12-2010, 07:25 PM
I've been doing car audio for quite a few years, and have had some nutty 4000 watt RMS ++ installs, so I'd have to agree (partially) that a HUGE stereo will in fact loosen interior body panels. After I've taken the stereos out of cars; I've noticed quite a few more rattles and interior noise then before.

No the vibrations will not hurt the engine or anything around it; but you can count on doing a number on your interior and even the body panels/parts for the rear of the car. You can count on going through more alternators though, especially if you're pounding the system at intersections where the alternator doesn't have a hope in hell of trying to keep up with the load demands.

I'd say with anything bigger then a 400 watt RMS install, you'l end up loosening countless plastic interior parts. With anything below that I never did any damage, but it seems to be around the 500 RMS plus mark that I started noticing excess rattling & damage occurring.

EDIT: and yes the proper install will blow out your windshield, quite literally I might ad. Its quite a technical understanding of how the right tuning frequencies affect different resonant frequencies of various parts, but yes its extremely possible to blow out windows & welds with certain boosting/tuning frequencies.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
09-13-2010, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Tram Common

I don't know how it happened, like I said, apparently tempered glas with a crack in it can shatter with the right frequency. I never checked this for validity, but, I have to say that driving down John Laurie, listning to your beets, minding your own business... then BLAM broken front passenger window.
Scared the fuck out of me.

AndyL
09-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Sounds more like kids with slingshots on nose hill - you don't get 'cracks' in tempered glass - any damage and it's in a million pieces on the floor...

tobypaddock
09-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by boarderfatty
I have heard from a few sources that certain resonating frequencies will interfere with your kidneys performing dialsis properly. When I used to have subs I used to experiment having the subs cranked and having then turned off and noticed that I was needing to take a piss more frequently and the shade of yellow was different without having much change to my diet. I have never seriously cared about it, and never done any real research into these statements but I no longer have subs in my cars. The reason I don't have them now is not because of this, but because I like my hearing and I would rather listen to my music than hear some distorted garble, feel vibrations, and listen to the rattle of my trunk, mirrors, windows etc.

im willing to bet that those sources are dog shit :thumbsdow
any change in the shade of your piss would be due to you drinking more/less liquids on those days

Tram Common
09-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Kavy

Really?
I would be willing to bet it's because its common practice for most high level competitors to replace their windshields with super thick lexan to prevent seal issues and help increase the DB within the vehicle.

I however doubt the stock mazda's and honda's and those modifications :)

I have seen 3 windows break at IASCA events I have attended.

Given it takes about 150-170db to break a window.

The windows however dont shatter everywhere they just spider crack to all high heaven.

If the window is already cracked it will just crack even more, the seals tend to go before the window.

Here is one of about 100 videos on youtube of it happening.

RqiIk5Mb01E

Ok, the world champion in a class trying to hit 160 + DB might blow out a stock window or two... but give me a break, we're talking about realistically loud subwoofers here in daily drivers that will hit 120 - 130 DB maximum.

Your windows are not going to shatter and no, none of the guys at the competition had aftermarket glass.