PDA

View Full Version : winter projects - welders warning

syritis
09-12-2010, 12:08 AM
The time is coming to start the larger projects on our cars and i know i have a few myself. but just as a reminder for some and valuable knowledge for others that do hobby welding. Not to clean your parts with brake clean before welding or heat brake clean in anyway. many cans of brake cleaner even have warning saying that the product may produce phosgene gas if heated.

phosgene gas aka. mustard gas is not something to screw around with and this is why.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

78si
09-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Good post! Thanks :)

eglove
09-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Wow! That's scary! I have to admit I only have glance at the warnings cause really... What's the worst that could happen :p

TomcoPDR
09-12-2010, 12:03 PM
That's so scary, everyone forgets WHMIS and other safety codes once they're in the work force. I remember in school we spend hours, weeks on chemicals, safety, etc...

Everyone just trust that because you're able to buy something, that it must be safe.

kvg
09-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the post. I had no idea.

:clap:

Phenix
09-12-2010, 12:10 PM
On these parts just grind then down to get them clean. Just safer and its always best to have a fresh clean welding surface anyways

se7en
09-12-2010, 12:19 PM
I did this the other day, I had wiped down the aluminum to get some oil off the surface. I let it dry first too. The surface was ok, but the rag I used was nearby. Made me sick for a few days after. Scary shit.

sr20s14zenki
09-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Its best to clean aluminum with acetone if you are planning on welding it, that is if the part was greasy or what not. The reason brake kleen releases phosgene gas i think is because UV rays from the arc cause a reaction with chlorinated solvents, releasing the phosgene gas. I bet you could get away with non chlorinated brake kleen but why b bother, acetone (=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone

neat stuff....made in our bodies?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Its best to clean aluminum with acetone if you are planning on welding it, that is if the part was greasy or what not. The reason brake kleen releases phosgene gas i think is because UV rays from the arc cause a reaction with chlorinated solvents, releasing the phosgene gas. I bet you could get away with non chlorinated brake kleen but why b bother, acetone (=

I believe you are correct. From what I remember from my welding course/dad its the UV rays that cause the reaction. We have a ton of acetone in our garage for when my dad works on his project car.

syritis
11-05-2010, 02:45 AM
bump

old&slow
11-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Welding is not a Hobby! :banghead: :eek: :D :D :D

GTS4tw
11-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by old&slow
Welding is not a Hobby! :banghead: :eek: :D :D :D

It is if you don't get paid to do it.

thinmyster