PDA

View Full Version : Weight Vs Height and gaining weight.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Im 6'2ish and weigh ~130lbs currently. I'm starting to think gaining weight would be a good idea as ive been at the same weight basically since I was 16-17. I'm 19 now. Eating more/bad food doesn't work for me, and id rather try to gain muscle mass than eat my heart out and gain fat haha. What would you recommend I start with to gain some muscle? I have good cardio. We have a bowflex, ab circle thingy haha, and a rowing machine, as well as a treadmill, eliptical, and stationary bike.

It wouldn't hurt for me to start strengthening my joints for ski season anyway, as I tend to injure my knees and upper body every year haha.

Impreza
09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Squats, pull ups, dips, dead lifts, bench press... Probably a good place to start. Good luck!

max_boost
09-12-2010, 04:07 PM
www.stronglifts.com and follow the 5X5 program.

Read it, learn it, live it, do it. Everything you need to know is in the above link.

Good luck.

nagooro
09-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Check out stronglifts 5x5.
google it, should be able to find a free PDF.

bubbley
09-12-2010, 04:35 PM
you need to bulk up man, i wouldnt be worried about gaining fat as it is probably hard for you, probably because of your motablism. Eat, eat, eat bulk-up and hit the gym. Also, take weight gainers and work-out.

A790
09-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Eat, lift, sleep, grow.

davidI
09-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Eat more good food. I mean it, stuff your face, even when you're not hungry.

I used to be 5'8" 135 pounds and am now anywhere between 170-185 depending on if I'm bulking or cut.

Typical meal from my mass gaining days:

Morning:
6 egg omelette
2 cups of oatmeal with ground flax seed
1 cup of milk

Mid-Morning:
Fruit and protein shake

Lunch:
2 cans of tuna on 4 pieces of bread. I'd mix with a dash of mayo, cut celery, & hot sauce. You can afford to put in a dallop of mayo.

Mid-Afternoon:
Fruit and protein shake

Dinner:
Huge bowl of rice, 2+ chicken breasts, loads of veggies

Evening Snack:
Yogurt, Fruit etc.

It sounds like you're still living at home so eat, eat, eat, eat while your 'rents are paying the bills. If you eat like a machine and workout for long enough to put on 15-20 pounds of muscle it should stay with you.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Alright thanks for the advice guys. Ive been eating a lot healthier and I do eat quite a bit already, i'm fairly active so I have a good appetite.

I will definitely get into a routine workout, I just don't want to overdo it with squats as my knees are pretty bad already and i'm only 19 haha.

Unknown303
09-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Im 6'2ish and weigh ~130lbs currently. I'm starting to think gaining weight would be a good idea as ive been at the same weight basically since I was 16-17. I'm 19 now. Eating more/bad food doesn't work for me, and id rather try to gain muscle mass than eat my heart out and gain fat haha. What would you recommend I start with to gain some muscle? I have good cardio. We have a bowflex, ab circle thingy haha, and a rowing machine, as well as a treadmill, eliptical, and stationary bike.

It wouldn't hurt for me to start strengthening my joints for ski season anyway, as I tend to injure my knees and upper body every year haha.

Oh man you must look like a praying mantis. :rofl:

But really it will probably take a lot of eating and gym work to bulk up.

1-Bar
09-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Body weight doesn't change over night, but when the years roll by 5lbs of lean mass adds up each year. In HS I was 5'7" 140lbs soaking wet....started lifting at 16.

Deads, squats and compounds exercises FTW! Check out crossfitcalgary.ca or crossfit.com :thumbsup: Good luck!

potatopineapple
09-13-2010, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I just don't want to overdo it with squats as my knees are pretty bad already and i'm only 19 haha.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/

wintonyk
09-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
Body weight doesn't change over night, but when the years roll by 5lbs of lean mass adds up each year. In HS I was 5'7" 140lbs soaking wet....started lifting at 16.

Deads, squats and compounds exercises FTW! Check out crossfitcalgary.ca or crossfit.com :thumbsup: Good luck!

Crossfit it awesome to develope insane cardio. And maybe to teach him the lifts, but 100 squats in a day is not the way to gain mass.

At 19 i started at 135, by 21 I hit a peak of 180. I am 6 ft tall. Do what DavidI said for diet. And start lifting in the 8-10 for a few months, as your muscles probably don't know what they are doing yet. After that point you can do the 3-5 range and really put on size. Last thing you wanna do is injure yourself before you have the neural developement.

duaner
09-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
Squats, pull ups, dips, dead lifts, bench press... Probably a good place to start. Good luck!
^^ This.

If I could start all over again, I would have stuck with compound movements--such as those listed above as well as some olympic lifts and rotational and core exercises--and stayed away from isolation exercises for biceps, triceps and shoulders. Forget the t-shirt muscles and build a strong foundation. Your biceps and triceps will grow and get stronger anyway.

In day to day functioning, the body almost never works muscles in isolation, it's almost always groups of muscles working together; that's how it's meant to function.

And don't worry too much about fat in the diet. Certain ones are healthy and even necessary. Your metabolism is high enough anyway.