PDA

View Full Version : So, I won rage2's car guessing game...

arian_ma
09-13-2010, 09:25 AM
For everyone who was following the thread, you all know that rage offered up a prize to the first person to guess his new car right. Luckily, I happened to be correct and thought I was going to win a Starbucks gift card or something. A few days later I get a PM from rage informing me that my prize is not a Starbucks card, no...he told me that I would get to drive both his C63 and CLK Black back to back and compare them as a prize. Being a huge Benz fan, and the CLK Black being my favorite car, I was pretty damn excited about it. So finally, after a long wait, I got to test the cars out this weekend.

As we roll up to rage's house, the first thing I see is two flat black Benz's sitting out front. Needless to say, it was an excellent first encounter with the cars. The C63 looks amazing, but the Black is in a whole different league. The wide wheel arches, the stance, those huge wheels, brakes and meety tires, just perfect. As was mentioned in a previous thread, the car's flat black vinyl wrap is different than the typical wrap job. It looks much shinier and overall much better as well.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj311/amoarian/IMG00104-20100912-1842.jpg

So we start with the C. Coming from a 1991 SL500 and an S2000, I didn't really know what to expect from a 500hp 4 door sedan. I thought it was going to feel heavy and sluggish in the corners. Turn the car on and immediately you are greeted by the incredible growl of that tuned 6.2L. As I drive the car, I start to realize more and more what these new AMG vehicles are all about. The car is fast. It corners amazingly, sounds incredible, and is all around a very tight car. The suspension is stiff but forgiving, and is pretty much bang on for what I like in a daily driven street car. When I realized that the car weighed 4000+ pounds I was shocked. It definitely felt like it was much closer to the 3000lb mark. After a quick rip in the C63, I was totally amazed, and could not even imagine how much more the black could offer.

So on to the real deal. The Black Series. The interior of this car is unreal. Unlike the European version, this car has comfortable leather seats which hug better than my mom. The steering position is perfect, and the car's controls are heavy yet sensitive at the same time somehow. The first thing that immediately stands out is how loud the car is. The C is loud, but this car is in a whole other league. It can be heard from a long distance away, and when you floor it there are no words that can describe the sound. As everyone says, the back end is out of control. For me, the straight line speed is unbelievable, but rage was commenting on how it is pretty slow in a straight line, he is crazy though. You would often find yourself nearly doubling the speed limit after only seconds of lead footed action. The suspension is hard but manageable. I could easily see myself going on a long trip or daily driving the car (in good weather obviously).

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj311/amoarian/IMG00105-20100912-1842.jpg

However, none of these things even hold a candle to the car's craziest weapon; the handling. Being 4200lb monster with a 500hp power plant up front and a tail like a dog's, one would think that the car is hard to control. Well, near the limits maybe, but for everyday driving I was flabbergasted at the level of grip and the precision of the steering. Being an ex-S2000 owner, I know a little about good handling vehicles, and this car blows the S2K out of the water. If the C felt like a 3500lb car, the Black felt like it was 3000lb. As soon as you turn the wheel the car is facing exactly where you want to go, with no drama at all. After I finished driving the car, rage took me for a proper rip in it and my God, it was incredible. Even when the back end is stepping out the car is in control and going exactly where you want it. The gear changes are immediate, with each downshift sounding like the engine just poured a liter of gasoline into the exhaust. And the best part about it all is that you are going fast as hell and cornering amazingly, and all the while you have a nice cool breeze blowing at you from the AC, the Nav telling you where to go, and the music blaring through the sick sound system. Jeremy Clarkson said it best: This car is built just for fun.

I'll let rage step in here with a few pictures from the day. Thanks rage for letting me drive your cars, it was truly a car guy's dream to be able to drive one of his favorite cars. Nice to meet a couple of the other beyond big shots as well.

zipdoa
09-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Wow. I wish I won that experience! Congrats, and a good write up!

Cowtown_Raider
09-13-2010, 09:29 AM
:thumbsup: awesome!

schocker
09-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Whoa, that was a pretty awesome prize. Good write up aswell.:burnout:

rage2
09-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Here are a couple pics from yesterday.

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/clkblack/16.jpg

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/clkblack/17.jpg

Glad you had fun with the cars!

Neil4Speed
09-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Wow, Incredible experience man! Great write up too! That last one better be your profile pic lol

"The interior of this car is unreal. Unlike the European version, this car has comfortable leather seats which hug better than my mom."

Your such a clarkson wannabe! hahah

arian_ma
09-13-2010, 09:36 AM
:rofl: I'm not even going to tell you guys what rage had to go through to take that last picture.
Remember, the Black does not have rear seats.

n1zm0
09-13-2010, 09:38 AM
best prize ever! really awesome of him to award that for a simple little contest!

more contests in the future with same prizes rage? :D i'd even just be happy to drive the C63 to your nearest gas station and squeegee the window for you.

J.M.
09-13-2010, 09:39 AM
:thumbsup:

rage2
09-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
:rofl: I'm not even going to tell you guys what rage had to go through to take that last picture.
Yea, that position is worthy for this thread...

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/315335/bad-ass-photographer-positions/

:rofl:

kaput
09-13-2010, 09:46 AM

taemo
09-13-2010, 09:58 AM
rage is a true car enthusiast!

props for doing that and definitely some pimp rides :thumbsup:

is the 2nd pic taken on the c63 or clk?

Dj_Stylz
09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
:thumbsup:

rage2
09-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by taemo
is the 2nd pic taken on the c63 or clk?
The interior picture is of the Black Series.

taemo
09-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by rage2

The interior picture is of the Black Series.

you must have jumped on the rear seats to take that picture then?

dr_jared88
09-13-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by taemo

you must have jumped on the rear seats to take that picture then?

Lol

911fever
09-13-2010, 10:23 AM
haha great writeup, beautiful cars.

HiSpec
09-13-2010, 10:24 AM

I am actually quite curious what rage had to do to get that shot. Because I quite like that photo.

roopi
09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
To cheap to splurge on the Starbucks card eh? :D

syeve
09-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by roopi

:rofl: :rofl:

Nice job Rage...beautiful cars

SCHIDER23
09-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Great write up and man those two Benz look bad ass, btw Rage where did you get your wrap done at, was actually thinking of getting it done as well, just pm or reply here if possible..:thumbsup:

Mibz
09-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Pffft, the position is overhyped, there's seat-like buckets back there. Of course somebody of rage's stature would still have a problem. Maybe somebody smaller, 5'7"ish, whose invitation to this event seemed to disappear would have had an easier time.

Maybe.

Douche.

rage2
09-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec
I am actually quite curious what rage had to do to get that shot. Because I quite like that photo.
OK, so there's no back seats. The front seats do not fold back, there is no rear access at all. So we had to move and tilt the seat all the way forward so I can fit my fat ass in the back "buckets". I didn't want to crush anything back there, so I had this weird asian squat/straddle position. It didn't help that I was 6' 2" either because my head was crushed against the roof.

With literally inches of movement either way, I used a nice wideangle lens against the front passenger seat to hold it kinda steady, which really wasn't steady at all because of how bumpy the roads were. Settings were f/4, 500iso, 17mm, and 1/8 sec exposure to get that level of motion blur. In terms of post processing, I increased the low lit areas and decreased the highly lit areas to get a more even "HDR" like effect.

I think we blew through enough gas to pay for stabucks for 10 people! :rofl:

arian_ma
09-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec

Well let me put it this way, remember when rage said his M3 made people cry?
I can now say that his Black made him wince.

Jlude
09-13-2010, 10:48 AM

:rofl: :rofl:

Looking at the second pic, I was thinking, why the hell did he photoshop himself outta the picture?

Great picture though, can just imagine what you had to do to get it.

Zewind
09-13-2010, 11:03 AM
:drool:

I love the write up

sexualbanana
09-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Is the flat a wrap? I always thought it was just paint without the clear coat?

arian_ma
09-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Both the cars are Flat Black wrapped, one of them is a Vinyl wrap (the C63) and the other is a 3M wrap. Both the cars still have original paint underneath, and the wraps can be taken off at any time.

almerick
09-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Loved the metaphors.

Awesome prize too, congrats arian!

banned3x
09-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Sick write up! I wanna ride too lol

heavyD
09-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Both the cars are Flat Black wrapped, one of them is a Vinyl wrap (the C63) and the other is a 3M wrap. Both the cars still have original paint underneath, and the wraps can be taken off at any time.

How does the wrap hold up to stains like bird shit? I heard you have to wash the car ASAP or permanent stains on matte paint, not sure about the wrap.

davesparky6
09-13-2010, 12:12 PM
^^ Birds don't shit on the black series.

bituerbo
09-13-2010, 12:32 PM

asian

6' 2"

Does not compute.

CUG
09-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Good write up!

gyu
09-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Lucky guy :hitit:

403Gemini
09-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Awesome Arian :bigpimp:

Also rage, extremely generous of you! :thumbsup:

LEGiiT
09-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Next time you need a fill up on the black, I will personally drive to your place and drive the Black to the nearest gas station of your choice and fill it up with premium and pay for it out of my own pocket... up for that?

And I am serious.

max_boost
09-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Boss styles. Are they equipped with Beyond.ca stickers? :werd:

bituerbo
09-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Boss styles. Are they equipped with Beyond.ca stickers? :werd:

Everybody knows you don't bring your work home with you...

gyu
09-13-2010, 05:07 PM
The second person to guess it right should've been given the opportunity to sit in the back seat ;)

Shlade
09-13-2010, 05:20 PM
looks great and awesome write up as well!

Rage2 Is a super nice dude for letting u drive those fine machines :thumbsup:

Mamma_Mia
09-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Wow, you are super lucky!! The pictures are awesome, although I would have liked to seen a picture of Rage in the back!!! :D

Prelude_dude
09-13-2010, 05:42 PM
wow.... :drool:
i can say i would of actually been scared to push those cars to the limits.. wouldn't want to hurt those beauties.. as the highest horsepower car i've driven was like a g35 lol .. fail on me lol

arian_ma
09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
The general attitude of the day:

"Hey rage, you want me to pull over so you can sit in the front seat now?"
"Nah man, push it!"

:rofl:

Clever
09-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Congrats, now that is a prize you will never forget, so jealous.... I just read the R8 thread as well, mad props and respect for Rage2.:thumbsup: