89coupe
09-13-2010, 11:38 AM
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Environment/2010/09/10/15310436.html

JordanLotoski
09-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Awesome.

CUG
09-13-2010, 12:07 PM
I hope it doesn't say "[...]A great neighbour sells you $1.4 million barrels of oil a day [...]"

If a barrel of oil was worth 1.4 million, oh shit... oh shit.

GOnSHO
09-13-2010, 12:10 PM
thats awesome!! :thumbsup: :rofl:

Toma
09-13-2010, 12:22 PM
LOL.... that will have exactly the opposite effect they were hoping for.

Did they not run this by a test panel of Americans? What a bunch of morons (the ad designer).

89coupe
09-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Toma
LOL.... that will have exactly the opposite effect they were hoping for.

Did they not run this by a test panel of Americans? What a bunch of morons (the ad designer).

How so?

banned3x
09-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Isn't the producer from titanic coming to the oilsands to do a documentry?

That's a wicked ad haha stupid Americans

Cos
09-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I hope it doesn't say "[...]A great neighbour sells you $1.4 million barrels of oil a day [...]"

If a barrel of oil was worth 1.4 million, oh shit... oh shit.

Yeah I saw that too. Hopefully Canwest is stupid, not the Alberta government. Oh wait.... shit shit

Sugarphreak
09-13-2010, 01:36 PM

dexlargo
09-13-2010, 01:43 PM
The actual ads don't have the dollar sign. You can sort of see in the little picture on Rick Bell's article:

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/columnists/rick_bell/2010/09/10/15309721.html

Tik-Tok
09-13-2010, 02:04 PM
I can already see the hippies counter ads...

"A good neighbor is responsible about the environment, a great neighbor doesn't leave his yard a toxic wasteland."

(At least that's what I would run, if I were a producing a propaganda campaign)

1barA4
09-13-2010, 02:23 PM
I don't think that conveys the message to the granola-eating hippies that the oil sands were a shitty place to begin with (the river was always polluted and the area wasn't exactly teaming with settlers looking to farm that rich, rich soil lol)

Those hippie douches will keep thinking that we invented the oil sands and that baby bunnies and Hern the Hunter used to frolic there in green pastures until evil oil giants came and poured oil everywhere while sodomizing Mother Nature's underage daughter :dunno:

ZenOps
09-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Yup, the land was completely dead before the oil companies even got there.

That much oil saturation in the soil literally chokes out all life.

UndrgroundRider
09-13-2010, 04:31 PM
I think they missed the mark with the ad text. Not that I care, I think the negative publicity surrounding the oil sands will have a 0.000001% impact on the market.

People are still driving, still consuming electricity, still heating their homes, and still paving roads. When they no longer need to do that we can start worrying.

dezmarez
09-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps

Never thought/heard of this before.

Very interesting point.

freshprince1
09-13-2010, 04:54 PM
I think they should have focused on something else. I'm not entirely sure, but doesn't the Coal Power Plants used everywhere by the states do a lot more damage to the environment than the Oilsands?

Bizzareo
09-13-2010, 05:10 PM
I think the Americans are going to be like.. "Oh man Mexico sells us 1.4 million dollars worth of oil a day?"

banned3x
09-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Link (http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2010/09/10/james-cameron-oilsands.html)

Film director James Cameron, in South Korea May 13, has told Alberta premier Ed Stelmach he wants to meet to discuss the oilsands. (Lee Jin-man/Associated Press)
Avatar director James Cameron will travel to Alberta to see the oilsands for himself.

In a letter to Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach, the Hollywood director says he has scheduled a three-day trip starting Sept. 27.

"My goal for this visit is to learn as much as possible from industry executives, government officials and impacted communities in order to form my own independent conclusion about these operations," Cameron writes.

"As a native-born Canadian, I'm concerned about the criticism levelled at Alberta's oilsands operations and eager to learn whether they are true or not, and if true, how they are being addressed by industry and government."

Kapuskasing, Ont.-born Cameron, who directed hits such as Aliens, Titanic and The Terminator, says he wants to meet with oilsands company executives and if possible, tour one of the operations, on Sept. 28 in Fort McMurray.

Later that day, Cameron says he plans to fly north to Fort Chipewyan to meet with community leaders. On Sept. 29, he says he'd like to meet with Stelmach and Energy Minister Ron Liepert.

"I appreciate your willingness to help me learn more about these operations and to accommodate my schedule," Cameron writes to Stelmach.

At a UN forum in New York City earlier this year, Cameron called the oilsands a "black eye" on Canada's image as an environmental leader.

His remarks prompted Stelmach to extend an invitation to the director.

Stelmach's spokesman, Jerry Bellikka, said the letter was received Thursday.

As for meeting Cameron, "the premier has a number of meetings and a trip to Ottawa in the same time frame, but if it's possible, the premier would intend to sit down with Mr. Cameron for a while," Bellikka said.

George Poitras, a former chief of the Mikisew Cree First Nation near Fort Chipewyan, north of Edmonton is a long-time opponent of the oilsands. He has said he had a personal meeting with Cameron in the director's hotel room in New York City in April, when both men attended the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues.

The forum featured a special screening of Avatar, Cameron's environmental-themed blockbuster, and Cameron also took part in a panel discussion on indigenous issues.

Poitras said he invited Cameron to visit Alberta to see what he calls the environmental "devastation" of the oilsands industry.

He said he identified with the indigenous people depicted in Avatar who are trying to stop the exploitation of the lush planet Pandora by invaders who want to mine its resources.

Many in Poitras' home community of about 1,200 people would like to tell Cameron about their concerns, including possible health effects of the industry, decimation of the boreal forest, and the lack of consultation by energy companies with aboriginal communities.

frizzlefry
09-13-2010, 06:16 PM
oh great. Now they are going to invade us. I liked it better when they thought the middle-east had all the oil.

ipeefreely
09-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps

Really! :facepalm:

You must think there's no life in the arctic too! :banghead:

Just because Rob Anders doesn't live there doesn't mean there's no life! :nut:

pf0sh0
09-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Bizzareo
I think the Americans are going to be like.. "Oh man Mexico sells us 1.4 million dollars worth of oil a day?"

hahaha

ipeefreely
09-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Bizzareo I think the Americans are going to be like.. "Oh man Mexico sells us 1.4 million BARRELS of oil a day?"

Thanks Canwest, for not having someone proof read before print! :banghead:

Alot more money than 1.4 million dollars per day.... :angel:

Redlyne_mr2
09-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Sort of a lame tag line.... and what does Jame Cameron have to do with anything. Why is our premier wasting his time with him? ?

sillysod
09-14-2010, 10:27 AM
http://besidethestream.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/crying_indian.jpg

sexualbanana
09-14-2010, 10:37 AM
The line made me giggle, but it's a little snooty and will likely be taken the wrong way