PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a winter car...

miguex
09-13-2010, 02:40 PM
In the coming winter, my beast is going to hibernate in its cave.

So I am looking a good car specially with diesel (I know it is not good for winters but I have seen many diesels running fine with -20 C)

I am thinking for those models (used):

Any VW TDI or Smart CDI, (this will be fun!).

Yeah mostly for driving in the city.

Any suggestion?

ercchry
09-13-2010, 02:52 PM
i would suggest a 4x4... because it turns out off-roading is lots of fun. and if you are getting a winter car it might as well be dual purpose. and with a 4x4 you won't get stuck anywhere if we have a winter like last year's. yeah yeah you can get a awd car and it can handle snow great... but it might still get stuck due to low ground clearance. (we got my buddy's a4 quattro stuck on his street during one of those storms last year)

LEGiiT
09-13-2010, 03:12 PM
VeeDubs have problems, not to say Audi's don't, but there are a few '01 A4's in crazy good condition with only 90,000-130,000km on them for under $10k.

sillysod
09-13-2010, 03:15 PM
unless it's gonna sit in a heated garage probably a TDI isn't the greatest vehicle for winter.

Of course it runs fine in -20, I used to take my passat up north and it would tap and rattle away in -40 no problems as long as you left it running. It's incredibly hard on diesels to start them when it's cold out.

Graham_A_M
09-13-2010, 05:45 PM
^ This, I would not buy a diesel under any circumstances.
Some diesels start in the dead of winter without being plugged in, but in my experience the vast majority dont.
Why risk it?

My dads old '03 TDI would *BARELY* start after multiple attempts if it wasn't plugged in... Below -20 forget it.

As tacky as it sounds, I myself am looking for one of these; but you should give serious thought to a Celica Al-trac.
They're just phenomenal in the snow, and plugging them in isn't imperative.

Axe
09-14-2010, 07:57 AM
While it seems you're looking at sedans have you considered a used CR-V or RAV4?; Reasonable fuel economy with the 4cyl, a little higher ground clearance with the option of AWD - would seem to address most of the issues raised with diesels and low ground clearance on cars...

A790
09-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Axe
While it seems you're looking at sedans have you considered a used CR-V or RAV4?; Reasonable fuel economy with the 4cyl, a little higher ground clearance with the option of AWD - would seem to address most of the issues raised with diesels and low ground clearance on cars...
Agreed. Both cars would make good winters...

Tomaz
09-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Subaru STi with stage 3 kit and a rally suspension setup with meaty tires!!! Hahaha

Seriously, diesels are not the BEST idea for winter. I would seriously look at a RAV4 or something similar.

Tram Common
09-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Get a 4 door base model Subie and call it a day.

SCHIDER23
09-15-2010, 05:36 AM
what about jeeps 2005+ how are they in the reliable scale?, I need an SUV for this winter and was looking into either that or move to a truck instead.:confused: