PDA

View Full Version : Changing Condo Bylaws...

Super_Geo
09-13-2010, 02:49 PM
The condo board wants to change the by-laws, but when I asked one of the board members when we were going to get to vote on the proposed changes, I was told that only the condo board would be voting on them... WTF?

Is this normal? I thought all owners in a condo would have a chance to vote if the bylaws were getting changed....

Mixalot27
09-13-2010, 02:52 PM
AFAIK bylaws can only be changed through special resolution, which involves getting at least 75% of all owners to sign in approval of the new bylaws.

dannie
09-13-2010, 02:59 PM
They are correct. The board of directors comes up with a new set of bylaws with help from a condo lawyer. There are 2 that are awesome in the city and I am sure there are others as well.

The board votes yes or no to the bylaws and then circulates the new proposed bylaws to the owners. From there, the board will require 75% of the unit factor of the condo complex to agree to the new bylaws.

There generally is no discussion with owners regarding the new conditions in the bylaws because it becomes a drawn out process. The only way to get your opinion in there would be to either a) be on the board or b) fire a written letter off to the management company and have them forward it to the board so they may consider what ideas you have.

Kloubek
09-13-2010, 03:06 PM
^^ Well written, and entirely correct afaik.

Super_Geo
09-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks a lot dannie!

Crymson
09-13-2010, 04:40 PM
hey dannie, What's the cost on drafting a new set of bylaws, roughly?

dannie
09-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Depends on the size of the complex. For a lawyer to re-do bylaws completely... You are looking at between 3-5k depending on the building, current bylaws and the amount of time the board is going to need to spend with the lawyer you choose.