PDA

View Full Version : Archaic Bike on Balconies Condo Bylaw

heardsy
09-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Hi there. I recently received notice from my condo board that it was against the rules/bylaws for my tenant to store her bike on my condo building's balcony.

The building doesn't provide a room or storage space for bicycles, and the unit itself is just over 500 sq. feet, so I'm a bit annoyed at the request: especially considering that my tenant keeps the balcony immaculate. She just has a nice bike out there, and I really don't see what the issue is with that.

Now, I fear I know the answer already (that if the rule is in the bylaws, then there's nothing I can really do), but I find it very silly in this day and age to have such a rule in place. I find no aesthetic issues with having a bike on a balcony, and especially if the building isn't providing an alternative, am angered that they would attack an environmentally-friendly and sustainable mode of transportation like this.

So...I guess my question is whether anyone else has ever dealt with such a case, how you approached it, and what the resolution ended up being?

I've asked for the specific bylaw that my tenant has violated, so I am not yet sure if there is a specific "no bike on balcony" bylaw currently in place, but assume there may be.

Thanks.

Cos
09-13-2010, 05:03 PM
You can ask the condo board for written permission. Otherwise you are SOL.

Also you may not find it unpleasing (no kidding you dont live there) but someone else obviously does. This may be the bylaw you violated.

Or the other one is technically you dont own your balcony. You own 1/300th of it (or whatever your share is) of your own plus everyone elses. If she has caused damage you can be in a lot of shit. The reason you get fined is to transfer liability of the damage from the condo board (everyone) to the individual owner.

kenny
09-13-2010, 05:11 PM
There is a great reason for this rule to be in place as it keeps the outside of the building looking clean. You probably wouldn't want to move to a building if every balcony was littered in junk (which would easily be the case if they didn't have restrictions in place).

Your best bet is to request an exception for the bike on behalf of your tenant. Their goal is to make sure other junk doesn't start accumulating on the balcony making the unit (and the building) look unsightly.

bignerd
09-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Can the bike be seen through the balcony? What if you covered it with a tarp and said it was a chait and table, or bbq under it? Guess she could take the wheels off and make it a bit smaller for storing for winter, maybe would draw less attention.

dannie
09-13-2010, 05:28 PM
My guess is the bylaws will state something along the lines of "there will be nothing on the balconies other than patio furniture." You are going to be SOL and they more than likely have given you 10 days to comply before they will start fining you.

If it really is that important, call the management company and send them a letter requesting board approval for the bike to be out there. I can basically guarantee they won't allow it, but at least you can tell your tenant that you tried.

I have been approached by similar things while being on a board and generally, it gets shot down because really.... where does it end?

bspot
09-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Tie a piece of plywood to the seat.

Boom.

Coffee table.

kaput
09-13-2010, 06:21 PM

4DoorGTZ
09-14-2010, 08:39 PM
My condo complex has created a bike rack in the parkade in the handi-capped spot. No owner uses the spot, and visitors cannot access the parkade so they're not taking the spot away from anyone. The other building that doesnt have a parkead I believe has bike racks inside the garbage garage, need a keypad # to get in.

^couple idea's or suggestions if you want to do more.

revelations
09-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by heardsy
Hi there. I recently received notice from my condo board that it was against the rules/bylaws for my tenant to store her bike on my condo building's balcony.

The building doesn't provide a room or storage space for bicycles, and the unit itself is just over 500 sq. feet, so I'm a bit annoyed at the request: especially considering that my tenant keeps the balcony immaculate. She just has a nice bike out there, and I really don't see what the issue is with that.

Now, I fear I know the answer already (that if the rule is in the bylaws, then there's nothing I can really do), but I find it very silly in this day and age to have such a rule in place. I find no aesthetic issues with having a bike on a balcony, and especially if the building isn't providing an alternative, am angered that they would attack an environmentally-friendly and sustainable mode of transportation like this.

So...I guess my question is whether anyone else has ever dealt with such a case, how you approached it, and what the resolution ended up being?

I've asked for the specific bylaw that my tenant has violated, so I am not yet sure if there is a specific "no bike on balcony" bylaw currently in place, but assume there may be.

Thanks.

Many condo bylaws ARE archaic in that they use the generic bylaws that are made up by the Land Titles Office of AB. These state that bikes (among other things) cannot be kept on common property such as balconies.

I was also told my bike was not welcome on my balcony - not much really you can do.

If shes the ONLY person in the building that has a bike on the balcony, then I'd say let it go. But if dozens of other people also have theirs, its probably time to change the bylaws (a HUGE pain in the ass).

heardsy
09-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Great, thanks everyone. Still waiting on a response back to my "really, is that necessary?" note. They also still haven't provided me with the exact bylaw, so I guess there's still hope that they might not have it in there (they're not the most organized of condo boards...)

89coupe
09-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by kenny
There is a great reason for this rule to be in place as it keeps the outside of the building looking clean. You probably wouldn't want to move to a building if every balcony was littered in junk

Exactly!

Redlyne_mr2
09-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Get one of those floor mounts so that you can also use your bike as an indoor exercise bike.

heardsy
09-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by kenny
There is a great reason for this rule to be in place as it keeps the outside of the building looking clean. You probably wouldn't want to move to a building if every balcony was littered in junk

I would disagree that a nice solitary bicycle on an otherwise immaculate balcony qualifies it as being "littered in junk". I also don't think bicycles on balconies make the outside of a building look any less "clean".

lilmira
09-15-2010, 01:16 PM
One decent bike on the balcony might not be too bad, but how about two bikes? how about three? How do you define decent bike? How about the million other things that people might want to put there? Some people would really push the boundary without consideration of the others. You see people putting all kinds of crap on the balcony in older buildings around the city.

It sucks but that's condo living.

bspot
09-15-2010, 01:53 PM
^ Then before you know it, BOOM

http://publichousingarchive.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/cabrini-green-chicago-5.jpg

Nismorphed
09-15-2010, 02:16 PM
I would just get a BBQ cover thow it over the bike and be done with it. I mean if there is no other place for it what the hell else is there to do with a bike.

Mitsu3000gt
09-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Nismorphed
I would just get a BBQ cover thow it over the bike and be done with it. I mean if there is no other place for it what the hell else is there to do with a bike.

I was about to type this exactly. As soon as it has a BBQ cover over it, if people still have an issue with that, then they would also have to ask everyone to get rid of their BBQ's which would never happen.

Masked Bandit
09-15-2010, 04:52 PM
A large BBQ cover's expensive. Throw a damn tarp over it.

spikerS
09-15-2010, 11:13 PM
a bbq cover is less than $20 at walmart, and an easy fix. and as icing on the cake, due to the time of year, they will be on clearance!

revelations
09-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Nismorphed

Why didnt I think of something this simple, yet brilliant? :banghead:

(stupid bike in living room)

Xtrema
09-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by heardsy
I would disagree that a nice solitary bicycle on an otherwise immaculate balcony qualifies it as being "littered in junk". I also don't think bicycles on balconies make the outside of a building look any less "clean".

That logic creates a slippery slope. Then someone else what to keep something else on balcony. The best is nobody get to put ANYTHING on balcony. It's only fair.

Instead of arguing, I would petition the board to buy a bike rack or storage facility.