PDA

View Full Version : Good Import Mechanic shop?

89coupe
09-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Can someone recommend a top notch licensed import shop to service my Infiniti.

My buddy decided to close his shop and move to the country, lol, so now I'm stuck taking my car to Infiniti again.

They want $689.00 to change the transmission fluid and rear diff fluid:bullshit:

g-m
09-14-2010, 05:55 PM
I like knibbe automotive. But I've done all my own work except alignments for the past 4 years. They are very professional and knowledgeable though with fair pricing and a ride to work in the morning

Graham_A_M
09-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Paz Automotive.

Peter is a certified Honda tech, but he does work on all sorts of vehicles. I'll bet you money you wont meet a more honest stand up mechanic/shop.... seriously.

Hes way up off of McKnight in the NE, so hes a bit far for me but the things he regularly does for my mom..... for free never cease to amaze me.
5 stars... honestly.... :thumbsup:

Back when I had this lemon Fiero many years ago; I was viciously stumped as to what the heck else there was to do on a complex problem. He knew what it was immediately and fixed it for perhaps 1/3 what a GM dealership would charge me. :)

If your down in the south like I am, I'd recommend Auto Align. They're a tough place to find, so I'll provide you the info. They're in Midnapore. Savio and his team are just awesome as well. They're also incredibly honest.
http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Alberta/Calgary/Auto-Align/3539656.html?what=auto+align&where=calgary&le=14c6c

msommers
09-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Is yours a AT or MT?

Changing the diff oil is actually easier than changing your oil on these cars. MT is quite easy as well. For an AT tranny, you need to get the fluid from the dealer; MT fluid from the dealer is highly recommended.

sillysod
09-14-2010, 09:58 PM
hey brad, if you want to do manual tranny and diff, pm me on p-shop i have a pretty well setup garage we can do it over a couple beers in an hour.

89coupe
09-15-2010, 09:34 AM
My car is still under factory warranty, so I'm not sure if by doing it myself voids the warranty or not?

Thats why I'm looking for a licensed mechanic.

I'm at the 48K mark on my car and it requires a full maintenance job. Oil, transmission fluid, diff fluid, in-cab air filter and the usual lube crap that they never do.

Total cost quoted was $689.00, I'm guessing parts are around $289.00 So I'm a little shocked that the labor would be $400.00

max_boost
09-15-2010, 04:12 PM
They aren't going to void your warranty for changing fluids lol

But if you don't trust the generic lube places, give Mike at Integra Tire 255-5592 on Macleod Trail a call. They do all kinds of jobs from my suspension stuff to mechanical to rage2's 750hp turbo kit lol :D

benyl
09-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
They aren't going to void your warranty for changing fluids lol

But if you don't trust the generic lube places, give Mike at Integra Tire 255-5592 on Macleod Trail a call. They do all kinds of jobs from my suspension stuff to mechanical to rage2's 750hp turbo kit lol :D

:werd:

msommers
09-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
My car is still under factory warranty, so I'm not sure if by doing it myself voids the warranty or not?

Thats why I'm looking for a licensed mechanic.

I'm at the 48K mark on my car and it requires a full maintenance job. Oil, transmission fluid, diff fluid, in-cab air filter and the usual lube crap that they never do.

Total cost quoted was $689.00, I'm guessing parts are around $289.00 So I'm a little shocked that the labor would be $400.00

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/diy-projects-51.html

Unless you're really uncomfortable, do the work yourself - the jobs are very easy.

Cabin filter was 40 bucks (dealer). Consider a carbon filter if you have weird smells (considerably more expensive.)
Oil filter was 10 bucks (WIX filter)
Oil - up to you if you use synthetic or reg (4.7L I think)
Tranny fluid - depends on your tranny. AT fluid is expensive shit. MT isn't cheap either.
Diff oil - Amsoil + pump was 45 bucks (local dealer)
Air filter - 30 bucks I think (dealer). I'd go with an Amsoil one though. Cost is very similar. You might need two of these.

Tranny fluid would have to be dealer (or at least should be). AT is a must, MT make sure you're using 100% GL-4 but don't use Redline. Stick to OEM from feedback I've read, syncros like it the best, Amsoil is alright.

Go to Infiniti vs Nissan dealer. Surprisingly, Infiniti was slightly cheaper on parts.

Abeo
09-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Tranny fluid would have to be dealer (or at least should be). AT is a must, MT make sure you're using 100% GL-4 but don't use Redline. Stick to OEM from feedback I've read, syncros like it the best, Amsoil is alright.

When did nissan MT's stop liking redline mt90? Its a synthetic GL4 (only other synthetic GL4 one I found was quakerstake, which was meh), and has worked for countless 240sx, 300zx, 350Z and 370Z transmissions. I don't think a G35 would have a problem with it.

Problem is when you start putting in a GL4 and GL5 approved oil (which you can find anywhere), it starts eating synchos, but thats due to the additives that makes it GL5 approved, not because its redline

taemo
09-16-2010, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Paz Automotive.

Peter is a certified Honda tech, but he does work on all sorts of vehicles. I'll bet you money you wont meet a more honest stand up mechanic/shop.... seriously.

Hes way up off of McKnight in the NE, so hes a bit far for me but the things he regularly does for my mom..... for free never cease to amaze me.
5 stars... honestly.... :thumbsup:

Back when I had this lemon Fiero many years ago; I was viciously stumped as to what the heck else there was to do on a complex problem. He knew what it was immediately and fixed it for perhaps 1/3 what a GM dealership would charge me. :)

If your down in the south like I am, I'd recommend Auto Align. They're a tough place to find, so I'll provide you the info. They're in Midnapore. Savio and his team are just awesome as well. They're also incredibly honest.
http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Alberta/Calgary/Auto-Align/3539656.html?what=auto+align&where=calgary&le=14c6c

that's quite interesting..I've always had my cars serviced by Peter for years and so did my parents, mazda 626, 94 civic si and 94 integra b16a except when I bought a subaru and went with OI.
Him and his brother were honest and reliable on what needed to be done and prices were pretty good and now we are servicing my gf 98 civic si to Paz as I know he's honda cert.
Maybe I should get my subaru serviced with Peter then instead of going with Subaru Calgary.
However I haven't seen Peter in a while, I saw his son apprenticing there and his brother who does most of the work anyways.

Might call them tomorrow and have both my and gf car serviced on friday then

msommers
09-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Abeo

When did nissan MT's stop liking redline mt90? Its a synthetic GL4 (only other synthetic GL4 one I found was quakerstake, which was meh), and has worked for countless 240sx, 300zx, 350Z and 370Z transmissions. I don't think a G35 would have a problem with it.

Problem is when you start putting in a GL4 and GL5 approved oil (which you can find anywhere), it starts eating synchos, but thats due to the additives that makes it GL5 approved, not because its redline

It is feedback that I'm relaying from G35Driver.com. Sorry I thought I mentioned it before.

Additionally, a few guys on the same forum from Calgary like using Auto Works. Actually a fella that I talked to last night was there on the dyno getting his turbo dialed in; I'm confident they are familiar with the vehicles.

Lastly, new management from Hyatt actually has an account on G35Driver. The guy seems to make sure things happen.

6mtguy
09-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by msommers

Additionally, a few guys on the same forum from Calgary like using Auto Works. Actually a fella that I talked to last night was there on the dyno getting his turbo dialed in; I'm confident they are familiar with the vehicles.

i think auto works is a good place. chris is a very knowledgeable tuner and mechanic. my G35 turbo is there on the dyno right now getting tuned. he was only a german tuner but after researching our cars he was very confident and wanted to get into it.

n1zm0
09-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
My buddy decided to close his shop and move to the country, lol, so now I'm stuck taking my car to Infiniti again.

was it option import?

kvg
09-16-2010, 10:20 AM
A/E TUNING. Al used to be a the head tech at a Infiniti or a Nissan dealer.
When ever I had a problem with my Maximas I brought them to him and I was very happy. :thumbsup:

redline
09-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

was it option import?

yes it was...