PDA

View Full Version : my license was suspended

CMW403
09-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Alright, I'm looking for advice. I know I deserved this for driving like an idiot, I don't need beyonds moral squad stoning me to all hell.

I'm 19, GDL driver. I'm a student at Mt Royal and I live on an acreage in Bearspaw. I NEED to drive to get to school. There is no transit in Bearspaw.

I read the blue sheet that came with this terrible letter, it said theres such thing as a RESTRICTED drivers license. This only applies to students, workers, with a non-GDL license. Is there ANY other options I have to be able to get this restricted license or am I fucking hooped?

I need advice here guys, I know I fucked up.

beyond_ban
09-14-2010, 12:49 PM
1 month suspension? Too many demerits?

I just drove when i got suspended.... I know it wasn't the moral thing to do but living in the NW and working in the SE makes it nearly impossible to transit. I tried it twice and it took me 4 hours a day in a bus/train/bus/bus. I guess it comes down to what you are willing to do. Can you get rides?

bubbley
09-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Fuckin hooped bruh, you can try a defensive driving course and that might put a couple points back on, but I don't know if you can if your already suspended.

You NEED to drive to school? You never thought about that before when you were driving like a douche canoe?

Cos
09-14-2010, 12:50 PM
AFAIK you are f**ked.

That is the point of a GDL, punish and hopefully correct the behavior before it becomes harder to take your license away or you kill someone.

Originally posted by beyond_ban

I just drove when i got suspended.... I know it wasn't the moral thing to do but living in the NW and working in the SE makes it nearly impossible to transit. I tried it twice and it took me 4 hours a day in a bus/train/bus/bus. I guess it comes down to what you are willing to do. Can you get rides?

Seriously dude? :facepalm:

FraserB
09-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Was it DUI or too many demerits?

lellowrx7
09-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Depends how long you were suspended
If its just a month then wait it out
i got a suspension for a month and drove anyway, ended up getting caught and now my insurance is 12000 a year. who knew driving without a license is a criminal offense :/

But anyway
if its just a month you wont be able to apply for the restricted license because it takes almost 3 weeks to finalize anyway.
You should have used points or something to fight the last ticket you got. once its suspended its pretty much gone until you get it back.

dannie
09-14-2010, 12:53 PM
The problem is that you are a GDL driver. There is absolutely no recourse for you at this point. If you were non-GDL there would be options, but since you aren't, you are stuck with the suspended licence.

CMW403
09-14-2010, 12:53 PM
1 month suspension from too many demerits.

I wasn't driving like a douche canoe lol, I was commuting to edmonton regularly this summer for work and I wanted to get there faster than legally possible.

CMW403
09-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by lellowrx7
Depends how long you were suspended
If its just a month then wait it out
i got a suspension for a month and drove anyway, ended up getting caught and now my insurance is 12000 a year. who knew driving without a license is a criminal offense :/

But anyway
if its just a month you wont be able to apply for the restricted license because it takes almost 3 weeks to finalize anyway.
You should have used points or something to fight the last ticket you got. once its suspended its pretty much gone until you get it back.

yeah, don't think i'm gonna go that route.

Awd-Tsi
09-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by CMW403
Alright, I'm looking for advice. I know I deserved this for driving like an idiot, I don't need beyonds moral squad stoning me to all hell.

I'm 19, GDL driver. I'm a student at Mt Royal and I live on an acreage in Bearspaw. I NEED to drive to get to school. There is no transit in Bearspaw.

I read the blue sheet that came with this terrible letter, it said theres such thing as a RESTRICTED drivers license. This only applies to students, workers, with a non-GDL license. Is there ANY other options I have to be able to get this restricted license or am I fucking hooped?

I need advice here guys, I know I fucked up. Maybe try and get it restricted to driving to school and back only and if you break the deal, its over.

CMW403
09-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Awd-Tsi
Maybe try and get it restricted to driving to school and back only and if you break the deal, its over.

... is that possible?

dannie
09-14-2010, 01:02 PM
^ He can't... he is a GDL driver

topmade
09-14-2010, 01:04 PM
With GDL there's nothing you can do, that's the whole point of the GDL. I know you said there is no transit, but for remote neighborhoods theres usually is a shuttle bus that goes to and from there a few times a day. Maybe check to see if there is one around somewhere.

revelations
09-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Forget "morals".... have you ever been to jail ?

JfuckinC
09-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by revelations

You guys are being naive if you think people dont do it. everyone i know who has had gdl suspension has done it but me! and i've had 2 haha.. even though i lived in chesteremere both times mine was suspended i just called in favors that were long over due and made my buddies drive me haha :rofl:

Cos
09-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

You guys are being naive if you think people dont do it. everyone i know who has had gdl suspension has done it but me! and i've had 2 haha.. even though i lived in chesteremere both times mine was suspended i just called in favors that were long over due and made my buddies drive me haha :rofl:

Christ, I almost want to be a cop just to drive around and find people who do this.

Defeats the purpose a bit.

CMW403
09-14-2010, 01:34 PM
there's an express bus from dalhousie to mt royal that leaves at 7:15 every morning.

anybody commute down crowchild from bearspaw that wants to make a few extra bucks?

beyond_ban
09-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Nope. Too smart ;)

Originally posted by Cos

Christ, I almost want to be a cop just to drive around and find people who do this.

Trust me, it was the worst month of driving ever. I was constantly checking my mirrors every two seconds and i was in a constant state of paranoia for every second i was behind the wheel. I just didn't see any other option as a 2 hour transit too work when you start at 7:30 is something i cannot do. Literally impossible for me. Luckily i was never pulled over because it is fairly easy to blend into rush hour traffic. I am in no way recommending it, but it was that or my job.

n1zm0
09-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Bearspaw?! your parents are rich enough to buy you a place on campus, no? J/K :D

i had this happen to me when i was 16 ALL because of speeding ticks, fked me over for a long time with insurance that's for sures and this happened when there was no such thing as the term/program 'GDL', iirc there were NO options for me, had to bus it, but at the time (16 ys/o) majority of ppl took the bus anyways to get to school.

isnt there a bus route in rocky ridge? call a cab to go from your house to the closest bus stop in rocky ridge lol it'd be like $5 and one pissed off cabbie.

Tomaz
09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
CMW403, Now THAT is using your noggin! I would love to help you out, but i live in strathmore.

Mom? Dad? Roomie? School Mates? Maybe some close friends in the area? GF? ....BF? j/k

If worse comes to worse, Taxi might do the trick for the time being (I admit, it is a bit expensive).

Is there a way you can crash at a friends house for the next while so you can take transit?

Good luck to you! Good on you for accepting the consequences. :thumbsup:

CMW403
09-14-2010, 01:57 PM
just out of curiosity, how much can i expect my insurance to go up by? i just have basic insurance under my parents TD meloche, no collision or anything.

CMW403
09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
Bearspaw?! your parents are rich enough to buy you a place on campus, no? J/K :D

i had this happen to me when i was 16 ALL because of speeding ticks, fked me over for a long time with insurance that's for sures and this happened when there was no such thing as the term/program 'GDL', iirc there were NO options for me, had to bus it, but at the time (16 ys/o) majority of ppl took the bus anyways to get to school.

isnt there a bus route in rocky ridge? call a cab to go from your house to the closest bus stop in rocky ridge lol it'd be like $5 and one pissed off cabbie.

oh believe me, they're rich enough. thing is, both of them grew up poor and they believe i have to work for everything. my dad pays for half of each semester and that's it.

honestly, when my dad finds out my license was suspended he's going to beat me into oblivion. and i'm sure i'll be paying in full for both semesters this year.

CMW403, Now THAT is using your noggin! I would love to help you out, but i live in strathmore. Mom? Dad? Roomie? School Mates? Maybe some close friends in the area? GF? ....BF? j/k If worse comes to worse, Taxi might do the trick for the time being (I admit, it is a bit expensive). Is there a way you can crash at a friends house for the next while so you can take transit? Good luck to you! Good on you for accepting the consequences.

mom and dad definitely will not drive me. my mom doesn't even work, but she'll be so angry about the suspension she'll refuse to talk to me for the majority of the month. and even if my dad would, he leaves for work at 7am which its too late. and i can't possibly afford a taxi from here to dalhousie four days a week for a month.

redblack
09-14-2010, 02:08 PM
can you stay with a buddy in town for a month?

syeve
09-14-2010, 02:09 PM
The new Halo is coming out right away, just stay home. :dunno:

n1zm0
09-14-2010, 02:13 PM
^its out today lol but :rofl:

Originally posted by redblack
can you stay with a buddy in town for a month?

according to him, his parents will be pissed if they find out about the suspension - what will they think if he says 'oh hey guys im going to live with a friend in town for a month'

honestly, when my dad finds out my license was suspended he's going to beat me into oblivion.

OPs parents must be eastern european or asian? lol

like i said, a cab from your house to the first closest bus stop in Rocky Ridge if youre desperate.

ReflexFX
09-14-2010, 02:18 PM
The Solution to your problem (http://www2.sbc.edu/newsletter/images/uploads/Pink_Bike_540.jpg)

banned3x
09-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Wow that sucks, can u drive a scooter to school? Or do u need a license for that too? Bike it? I would kill my self without my license shitty I never been I. That position it must feel like shit.

CMW403
09-14-2010, 02:22 PM
^its out today lol but :rofl:

according to him, his parents will be pissed if they find out about the suspension - what will they think if he says 'oh hey guys im going to live with a friend in town for a month'

OPs parents must be eastern european or asian? lol

like i said, a cab from your house to the first closest bus stop in Rocky Ridge if youre desperate.

my parents are white as rice. a taxi to the closest bus stop in RR is going to be my only option. fuck im going to have to wake up early.

Originally posted by ReflexFX
The Solution to your problem (http://www2.sbc.edu/newsletter/images/uploads/Pink_Bike_540.jpg)

this is actually a great idea, minus the color. can you take a bike on a bus?

sillysod

He should tell his parents he is gay and moving in with his lover....

When they flip out he can say he is just kidding but infact he lost his licence instead, they will be so happy he isn't a homo they will probably drive him to school themselves.

Tomaz
It doesn't sound like you come from the same family background as myself, but your parents are going to find out this happened whether you tell them or not. Owning up to it and trying to make arrangements might help you out.

What about friends? If you are a big enough "playa", you shouldn't have a problem finding a place to stay every night! :rofl:

Seriously though, either getting a ride from someone or a taxi to the transit are your only options.

CMW403
again, can anyone that has had a one month suspension please tell me roughly how much i can expect my insurance to go up per month??

Kloubek
09-14-2010, 02:24 PM
I am just throwing this out there, but perhaps contacting your insurance company and asking them might provide a more accurate response than asking random people on an internet forum?

Just a thought.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Buy a bicycle, pedal to the nearest bus stop and find a place to chain it up there for the day. Repeat for a month, you'll likely be in better shape than when you started.

Supa Dexta
Be cheaper to rent an apartment closer to school, then pay fines/high insurance.. :rofl:

Tomaz
Mine jumped up to almost $10,000/year PL/PD.

I am now sitting at $6600 PL/PD 5 years after the fact. I turn 25 next renewal, so that should help. I doubt you will ever reach the rates I did.

To get a REAL answer, contact your insurance company/broker. They should give you a good ballpark.

n1zm0
09-14-2010, 02:29 PM
^ waaaaaat??! for one month suspension due to speeding tickets?! times have changed then cause my peak at 16 was $2300 ish per year after suspension.

again, can anyone that has had a one month suspension please tell me roughly how much i can expect my insurance to go up per month??

this was bad in the day but i got upped about (edit: wrong calculations: )$50 per month ($41 iirc because i couldn't make the payments one month ~$200 on a 16 y/os income, it was gas vs insurance and i almost syphoned a tank out of my parents car :cry: rough lesson)

as mentioned above your insurance company will tell you, but i bet you dont want to ask them cause youre under your dad? in that case... he'll find out very soon

FraserB
09-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Its your dad's insurance that will be impacted, I would tell him before the insurance company calls him.

JfuckinC
09-14-2010, 02:37 PM

As far as i know, a GDL suspension isn't quite like a real suspension, i dont know if it even shows up with insurance. Mine didn't move. The ticket that casued the suspension might though, both mine were the 0% alcohal tolerance suspension so i dunno about the demerit one.

JfuckinC
09-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
Mine jumped up to almost $10,000/year PL/PD.

I am now sitting at $6600 PL/PD 5 years after the fact. I turn 25 next renewal, so that should help. I doubt you will ever reach the rates I did.

To get a REAL answer, contact your insurance company/broker. They should give you a good ballpark.

didnt you get a suspension for rolling a taurus or something crazy haha?

Tomaz
09-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Sorry, my suspension(s) were not under the same circumstances. I was more pointing out the fact he should be contacting the company instead of asking a question only VERY few would know, and even then, not know accurately.

The rates shouldn't go up too much for your parents. Judging by the fear of your own family, it would just seem that you will be on your own insurance soon.

3drian
09-14-2010, 02:39 PM
dude ive been in the same situation, it sucks, and didnt see it comming like you did.. im currently at work but ill log in tonight and try to help you (i havent read the whole thread yet)

CMW403
09-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Its your dad's insurance that will be impacted, I would tell him before the insurance company calls him.

are they going to actually call him and tell him?? wouldn't they just increase it automatically and he'll see it then?

i just called TD and they told me it should increase by about $50 per month which is a relief.

adam c
09-14-2010, 02:42 PM
break something in your car that is easy to fix yourself but don't tell your parents, then when they see you not driving they won't assume anything

Tomaz
09-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Yes, your father CAN be contacted. Especially if you are a minor under his name. It would be more likely to find out when the renewal comes up, or if he realizes you have stayed home everyday for a month. :rofl:

beyond_ban
09-14-2010, 02:52 PM
My insurance didn't jump at all from where it was. I am at $2000 / yr now.

n1zm0
09-14-2010, 03:02 PM
are they going to actually call him and tell him?? wouldn't they just increase it automatically and he'll see it then?

i just called TD and they told me it should increase by about $50 per month which is a relief.

yes exactly like i said for the speeding demerits suspension, $50/month, the letter came in addressed to me, i just told my dad a few days later because of the obvious - i wasn't driving to school anymore for a few days and he was getting suspicious.

i was at $1800 then it jumped to $2300ish, then a nice steady decline until now which was VERY hard to do when your 18-22 with your first turbo car lol

JfuckinC
09-14-2010, 03:09 PM

yes exactly like i said for the speeding demerits suspension, $50/month, the letter came in addressed to me, i just told my dad a few days later because of the obvious - i wasn't driving to school anymore for a few days and he was getting suspicious.

i was at $1800 then it jumped to $2300ish, then a nice steady decline until now which was VERY hard to do when your 18-22 with your first turbo car lol

Once again, a different type of suspension though...

Cos
09-14-2010, 03:18 PM
^ waaaaaat??! for one month suspension due to speeding tickets?! times have changed then cause my peak at 16 was $2300 ish per year after suspension.

In 2002 when I got my first car my insurance (PLPD no experience) was $3300 a year. So I am SHOCKED your's was less that mine with a suspension.

ercchry
09-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Cos

In 2002 when I got my first car my insurance (PLPD no experience) was $3300 a year. So I am SHOCKED your's was less that mine with a suspension.

and that is why they put the grid into effect a few years later :thumbsup:

Cos
09-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

and that is why they put the grid into effect a few years later :thumbsup:

Ah, god dammit

turbotrip
09-14-2010, 04:50 PM
do you have a brother of close age? a few people i know just drive and say they forgot their license while pretending to be their brothers. only getting a few tickets has worked pretty well for them so far.

not that im telling you to do something like that ofcourse

CMW403
09-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
do you have a brother of close age? a few people i know just drive and say they forgot their license while pretending to be their brothers. only getting a few tickets has worked pretty well for them so far.

not that im telling you to do something like that ofcourse

holy shit that's an awesome idea, but no, no brother.

thanks for all the response's guys, im just going to have to bike>bus>dalhousie>bus>mtroyal for a month.

gonna fucking suck, but its a lesson learned.

brokeass
09-14-2010, 06:36 PM
GDL is a joke. Get that shit removed as soon as you have the opportunity. I still have GDL and need to get it off ASAP as cops in this city are going on a fucking rampage for speeding 10 over the limit then claiming you were going 30 over...

Vanner
09-14-2010, 06:37 PM
^ Yup, get a good cheap bike - one that's simple like a 18 speed mountain bike to use on your route to bus stop. I'm saying an OLD cheap bike - buy a used one if you can, that way you wouldn't worry about someone stole your bike while you gone for work. Good Luck and your body will thank you in keeping in shape!

Scumbags around here are looking to swipe nice shiny bikes - ones that's worth a pretty penny - at bus stops or LRT stations. If old dirty bike? They don't bother that at all.

Now, the GDL thing? I've never heard of that so I assume it's like your first driver's license - right? If so, times sure got tough with suspensions and HIGH rates ... wasn't like in my time when i got my 1st license !

:rofl:

3drian
09-14-2010, 06:44 PM
ok I read the whole thing and yes you are pretty fucked.. it sucks i was in the same situation

not much you can dosince you already got the letter.. my brother got the ticket( he knew he was gonna get suspended as soon as he paid it) so he did a drivin course that took 3 demerits off and a couple of days later paid the ticket.. he was fine..

insurance whise however, im under my parents insurance as well and the company doenst even know it got suspended its been like 90 months they check my parents, not me.. maybe when I get my own insurance its gonna be crazy

I did drive during the whole month, I do not recomend it, specially in calgary (im in lethbridge). also drove with my brothers lisense a couple of times.. it was scary as fuck so I stopped doing that ..

just play it save and stop speeding when u get ur lisense back u will get 3 demerits... good luck

Point4Dave
09-14-2010, 07:10 PM

I need advice here guys, I know I fucked up.

Ouch. You don't happen to drive an old orange truck do you ? :bigpimp:

ercchry
09-14-2010, 07:10 PM
it is so hard to get your license suspended... and at 19 why have you not got your full one yet?

when i was in grade 12 i had ~4 demerits on my license and i got pulled over and handed a nice pink piece of paper... knowing that this was going to mean at least 5 more demerits i did what any crafty 17 year old would do that is only a few months away from getting his full license....

postponed the fucking trial date! i pushed that shit 5 months before i even had to think about dealing with it... got my full license (which btw you can not do for another year now since you did get suspended) then a couple of demerits came off my record, went into the trial with only 2 demerits on my record... then i walked out of it with only an additional 3 since im that good :poosie:

CMW403
09-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Point4Dave

Ouch. You don't happen to drive an old orange truck do you ? :bigpimp:

99 prelude

it is so hard to get your license suspended... and at 19 why have you not got your full one yet?

when i was in grade 12 i had ~4 demerits on my license and i got pulled over and handed a nice pink piece of paper... knowing that this was going to mean at least 5 more demerits i did what any crafty 17 year old would do that is only a few months away from getting his full license....

postponed the fucking trial date! i pushed that shit 5 months before i even had to think about dealing with it... got my full license (which btw you can not do for another year now since you did get suspended) then a couple of demerits came off my record, went into the trial with only 2 demerits on my record... then i walked out of it with only an additional 3 since im that good :poosie:

yeah, i was working 60 hour weeks as an operator for an oil company in edmonton for the summer so i didn't have much spare time to spend at defensive driving and traffic court. i got pulled over once for tint at 4am on my way to work and once for not having tail lights because fucking bestbuy in edmonton screwed something electrical up when they were installing my deck/speakers/amp and now iv got a short somewhere that blows my tail light fuse. i guess i had a few demerits on from a long time ago that i forgot about so when i paid those two tickets i went over 8 demerits. stupid mistake i know, from now on i'll be studying my abstract.

ercchry
09-14-2010, 07:32 PM
pretty sure those two tickets do not give you demerits... those are vehicle equipment tickets not moving violations

and i guess i left out that part of my story... i never even went in to get dates moved... got my dad to since i was in lethbridge for school and he worked downtown calgary

CMW403
09-14-2010, 07:37 PM
pretty sure those two tickets do not give you demerits... those are vehicle equipment tickets not moving violations

and i guess i left out that part of my story... i never even went in to get dates moved... got my dad to since i was in lethbridge for school and he worked downtown calgary

really? how long does it take them to process a suspension? it must have been the two speeding tickets that i paid months ago before i left for edmonton that put me over then.

yeah it wouldn't fly well with my dad if i asked him to go to traffic court for me.

ercchry
09-14-2010, 07:45 PM
well he didnt go to court for me, just stopped in and told them i wasnt there since i was busy and got the date pushed... i told him hey so if you dont do this for me then my license is suspended
(also, it does not need to be a family member... anyone can go in for you)

Stealth22
09-14-2010, 09:38 PM
If I were you, I'd man up and tell your dad before he finds out from the insurance company. Yeah, he'll probably be pissed. But don't you think it might make it worse to not say anything?

Originally posted by Cos

Traffic cops in Peel Region (Ontario) do this, or at least did at one point. Watched the courthouse for people coming out from suspension hearings, and then pulled them over when they drove home! :rofl:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/W5Archive/20080321/wfive_TargetedEnforcement_080321/

adidas
09-14-2010, 09:41 PM
If you need a bike i got one here that u could borrow for the month that u will be cycling to the bus lol. If you need it PM me.

A quick story. I got a ticket last year in sept for speeding. I pushed the court date 2 or 3 times before it was scheduled in May i believe. Me being ME i left it till the last second to do my advance road test. While i tried to book the road test, i couldnt find anyone that would do it before i had court(1:00pm), oh and it just happened that we got the biggest shit storm in Calgary on the day that i was planning on doing the test. My car is too low to be plowing through the snow, dads car wasnt in proper working order and mom was at work. So i was shafted in every possible way and i was gonna get my license suspended. The night before i stayed up and completed the online defensive driving course and chose to "pick up" my certificate from their office in the morning. What they failed to state was that it takes 3 days to "print", this was also the day of the court.

Going in pretty much defeated, i sat through a full court room, with officers coming in and out(not even sure who was the guy that pulled me over). I ended up being the last person being called up, and was told the officer was not present.

Dont think ive ever been this happy living the court house. lol

dandia89
09-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by adidas
If you need a bike i got one here that u could borrow for the month that u will be cycling to the bus lol. If you need it PM me.

A quick story. I got a ticket last year in sept for speeding. I pushed the court date 2 or 3 times before it was scheduled in May i believe. Me being ME i left it till the last second to do my advance road test. While i tried to book the road test, i couldnt find anyone that would do it before i had court(1:00pm), oh and it just happened that we got the biggest shit storm in Calgary on the day that i was planning on doing the test. My car is too low to be plowing through the snow, dads car wasnt in proper working order and mom was at work. So i was shafted in every possible way and i was gonna get my license suspended. The night before i stayed up and completed the online defensive driving course and chose to "pick up" my certificate from their office in the morning. What they failed to state was that it takes 3 days to "print", this was also the day of the court.

Going in pretty much defeated, i sat through a full court room, with officers coming in and out(not even sure who was the guy that pulled me over). I ended up being the last person being called up, and was told the officer was not present.

Dont think ive ever been this happy living the court house. lol

not that you were super lucky, because you are.. but most times if you push a court date to a later date the officer will most likely not come at all