PDA

View Full Version : No more islamic full veil in France.

Sapo
09-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Lets hope!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/09/14/france.burqa.ban/index.html?hpt=T2

Tomaz
09-14-2010, 01:40 PM
We wont follow. No big deal really.

PS: Old news.

TYMSMNY
09-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Let's NOT hope. Vote was today... how is it old news?

Tarrantula
09-14-2010, 01:45 PM
I hope we do, seriously. Laws are laws. Anyone could pretend to be a woman in one of these and commit offences.

Sorry. Pound sand if you dont like it. There is plenty in your country.

Tomaz
09-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Old news because it was presented and agreed upon about a month ago. The public vote was overwhelming, it was no surprise that it was going to pass. The only news is that the law is official now. I am just amazed by the landslide vote, 246 to 1. :eek:

Phenix
09-14-2010, 01:49 PM
It's surprising France is being so bold in this. They seem to be sending a pretty strong signal, that slavery is not tolerated. the fines are pretty crazy too to forcing someone to wear one.

GoChris
09-14-2010, 02:28 PM
:thumbsup:

ICEBERG
09-14-2010, 04:03 PM
France's Senate has overwhelmingly approved a bill that would ban wearing the Islamic full veil in public.

The ban will come into force in six months' time if it is not overturned by constitutional judges.

The bill envisages fines of 150 euros for women wearing the full veil.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11305033

you&me
09-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Amazing that it's the French showing the world how to have a back bone.

Good for them.

beyond_ban
09-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Wow, double repost from today and like a quadruple repost over the last month.

Xtrema
09-14-2010, 04:22 PM
I rather take a less absolute approach to this. Instead of banning Burqa, I rather see a law that require showing your face on any official ID documents and to any government officers when requested to confirm ID.

You can cover your face all you want for fashion or religious reasons. Burqa is not necessary slavery.

BrknFngrs
09-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
:thumbsup:

+1

Spoons
09-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I rather take a less absolute approach to this. Instead of banning Burqa, I rather see a law that require showing your face on any official ID documents and to any government officers when requested to confirm ID.

You can cover your face all you want for fashion or religious reasons. Burqa is not necessary slavery.

I can't wear fucking sunglasses into a bank, the can't wear Burqa's either.

I'm with it. It's funny how America, a melting pot culture, disagrees with it.

you&me
09-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
Wow, double repost from today and like a quadruple repost over the last month.

Today it became official. The double post is in the general section, but this seems like the more appropriate place.

Can mods merge the threads?

dsr7723
09-14-2010, 05:53 PM
I hope we follow for sure. These people wanna come here and enjoy our freedoms and liberties yet they are completely unwilling to compromise their own ways and values. Check your rags at the door. If we go to those countries and express our beliefs and values there are dire consequences. Yet these people are too fuckin' ignorant to appreciate and perhaps even compromise to our society which has no negative consequences for expressing your own beliefs no matter what they are. Hell some of them can't even be bothered to learn English or French.

Short version, we do for them, they don't do for us. Period.

Ban the rags. All of them.

A3GTiVR6SC
09-14-2010, 06:19 PM
That's just Awesome!!:thumbsup:
Fucking extremists need to be taught a lesson ;)

Ergo-Sun-Tzu
09-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Anyone Muslim that can confirm within the Koran that women have to wear veils?

If I remeber correctly, there are different sects of Islamic beliefs just like Christianity with: Protestant, Roman Catholic, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Orthodox Catholic, and etc.

revelations
09-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Good on France. You are still allowed to wear the other Islamic veils - just not the ones that cover the face.

In Islamic countries, they impose a different set of standards on immigrants or believers.

So for France to do this says that we will expect the same:

- You come to our country, you live by OUR rules -

Here is an example in Saudi Arabia: (road to mecca)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QfVWU-2pVL4/R-K6OgaxaYI/AAAAAAAABlI/SmCWtYQBJ84/s400/mecca-roadsign.jpg

JimmyBurner
09-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by dsr7723
I hope we follow for sure. These people wanna come here and enjoy our freedoms and liberties yet they are completely unwilling to compromise their own ways and values. Check your rags at the door. If we go to those countries and express our beliefs and values there are dire consequences. Yet these people are too fuckin' ignorant to appreciate and perhaps even compromise to our society which has no negative consequences for expressing your own beliefs no matter what they are. Hell some of them can't even be bothered to learn English or French.

Short version, we do for them, they don't do for us. Period.

Ban the rags. All of them.

Just wondering, what exactly have YOU done for THEM?

top_speed
09-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Good on France. You are still allowed to wear the other Islamic veils - just not the ones that cover the face.

In Islamic countries, they impose a different set of standards on immigrants or believers.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QfVWU-2pVL4/R-K6OgaxaYI/AAAAAAAABlI/SmCWtYQBJ84/s400/mecca-roadsign.jpg
^that doesn't mean shit, what is the point of a non Muslim going to mecca???

you&me
09-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by top_speed

If you don't like that example, see what happens if you gf were to wear shorts in Riyadh...

Point being, in many Muslim countries, there's a kind of "our country, our rules" mentality. This is simply another country doing the same thing...

Beerking
09-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by JimmyBurner

Just wondering, what exactly have YOU done for THEM?

When we ask how they are doing....we mean it.....they don't.

revelations
09-14-2010, 08:00 PM

It does mean shit. Its like banning all non-Catholics from Vatican City.

projekz
09-14-2010, 08:00 PM
I like how France is actually standing up for their values as a society. I'm one to think that if someone comes to your house they should follow your rules...not the other way around. A few years ago I had to put my Christmas decorations down on the balcony and door of my condo (in Vancouver) because it was offensive to some residents!!! Fuck that! I have no problems with people choosing to move and live in Canada but they should at least respect our way of life!:whipped:

kevie88
09-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Awesome. Good to see a country with a spine.

Never thought it would be the French! lol

m3doozie
09-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by you&me

If you don't like that example, see what happens if you gf were to wear shorts in Riyadh...

Point being, in many Muslim countries, there's a kind of "our country, our rules" mentality. This is simply another country doing the same thing...

You didn't get the memo? Rules don't apply to Muslims.

ipeefreely
09-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by m3doozie

You didn't get the memo? Rules don't apply to Muslims.

:rofl: :rofl:

:werd:

black13
09-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Would it really affect much in canada or calgary at least? I think I've only ever seen 2 people wearing it here.

But I have nothing against it. It's a stupid thing people have forced in the name of islam.

dandia89
09-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by projekz
I have no problems with people choosing to move and live in Canada but they should at least respect our way of life!:whipped:

so are you saying you own this country, and your way of life is correct? i'm not agreeing with your neighbours, because they are just as intolerant as the people in this thread

CUG
09-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Good! I've seen some smoking hot muslim chicks that would definitely aid in maintaining arousal.

projekz
09-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by dandia89

so are you saying you own this country, and your way of life is correct? i'm not agreeing with your neighbours, because they are just as intolerant as the people in this thread

I'm in no way saying that I own this country or that my way of life is the right one for everyone. But I believe that I'm allowed to celebrate Christmas and I should be allowed to put up decorations on my balcony railing and on the door of my condo if I want to. I'm in no way forcing people of other faith or religion to join me. They can just walk past my condo and not bother looking at my door. At what point do we as Canadians draw the line?

I'm of opinion that people should be free to do as they wish as long as it doesn't destroy our freedom or culture. If immigrants want to live in Canada they should at least respect the Canadian way of life...even if they don't agree or live by it.

CUG
09-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Pay a little bit of homage to the people who built this country - the Chinese, with funding from the Europeans and the signatures of the Natives.

Godfuader
09-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Does not matter if Canada follows it. This is a law set forth by the fashion police. I do not have first hand information about how the burqa is used to oppress women, or if burqas have been used to rob banks, repeatedly. If the French gov't feels that this is such a major issue, then let it create a law to make itself feel safer. Syria, predominantly Muslim, has already put a ban on burqa.

Originally posted by black13
It's a stupid thing people have forced in the name of islam.
People who misuse the Burqa to oppress women, claim it as a religious requirement. Fact: Burqa, Niqab, Hijab have nothing to do with Islam. It is strictly cultural/fashion.

JimmyBurner
09-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Beerking

When we ask how they are doing....we mean it.....they don't.

Well GEE FUCKIN WIZZ, you have overwhelmingly proved two things to me bud. 1) You are a TOP NOTCH competitor in the art of debate. 2) You can fuckin read minds. Forget all of that though, let me marvel at the fact that my original question was (What have YOU done for them) and your masterful answer was (When we ask how they are doing....we mean it.....they dont.)

mazdavirgin
09-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Ergo-Sun-Tzu
If I remeber correctly, there are different sects of Islamic beliefs just like Christianity with: Protestant, Roman Catholic, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Orthodox Catholic, and etc.

Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses can't really be considered to be part of Christianity. Both of them don't actually follow the new testament.

Ergo-Sun-Tzu
09-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Lol, in the end it will all be in the hands of the politicians. Depending on how they see it, they can try to manipulate this situation in order to get voters to vote for them.

davidI
09-14-2010, 10:48 PM
I heard some wealthy Arab guy said he'd pay all of the fines on behalf of the women.

Update w/ Link: http://peacetimes.net/2010/07/muslim-businessman-pledges-to-pay-veil-fines-in-france/

Graham_A_M
09-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by davidI
I head some wealthy Arab guy said he'd pay all of the fines on behalf of the women.
Okie dokie.:rolleyes:

I cant help but back France 100% on this one:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

banned3x
09-14-2010, 11:15 PM
This wouldn't be a problem if their fucken outfits weren't sooo fucken scary looking like fucken killer ninjas. I they were pink or all colorful people would be less scared of them. Any colors would do. If they were white I'd be like hey look angels but they want to scare us or intimidate us. Fuck I'm scared just by looking at them on tv I never seen one In person.

Godfuader
09-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Not Islamic, just a cultural fashion statement. Hardline Muslims can't even prove it is a religious item. Syria, predominately Muslim, already banned it.

Originally posted by banned3x
This wouldn't be a problem if their fucken outfits weren't sooo fucken scary looking like fucken killer ninjas. I they were pink or all colorful people would be less scared of them. Any colors would do. If they were white I'd be like hey look angels but they want to scare us or intimidate us. Fuck I'm scared just by looking at them on tv I never seen one In person.
That is the idea. It is meant for you to not make visual sexy time with them.

Cos
09-15-2010, 07:20 AM

I would like to see it, sounds like it has a lot of historical significance. I dont give two shits about the religious significance.

I like sight seeing.

davidI
09-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

That is the idea. It is meant for you to not make visual sexy time with them.

I've been eye-fvcked by so many burka wearing chicks over here in Yemen. Problem is, you never know if they're going to be hideous monsters or hot. :poosie:

jazzyb
09-15-2010, 07:33 AM
i'm not a muslim:

but there is a tonne of ignorance in this thread.

I.e. the extreemists need to be taughta lesson.

Feruk
09-15-2010, 08:29 AM
-1 for the ban, seems unnecessary
+10 for the large fee and possible jail time for someone forcing a woman to wear one

CUG
09-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
-1 for the ban, seems unnecessary
+10 for the large fee and possible jail time for someone forcing a woman to wear one

It's our duty to promote social progression, even if it's through the courts. I'm 90% positive that this article of clothing is used for submission, even though it's being presented as "culture". I would agree it's culture, but it's aimed at demeaning and belittling women. '

How people could have so little respect for their mothers, sisters and daughters is completely beyond me.

kvg
09-15-2010, 11:26 AM
+1 for ban:thumbsup:

ZeeZee
09-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Ergo-Sun-Tzu
Anyone Muslim that can confirm within the Koran that women have to wear veils?

Actually, covering the face could be considered un-islamic based on Quran, because 33-59 specifically states that people should be recognizable. In addition, if women are worried about being harassed for their beauty, Quran states that the harasser (33-58) is the one bearing the responsibility. From my understanding, covering of the face is an old Arab misogynistic tradition and has nothing to do with Islam. Quran only states that women should not be dressing provocatively (24-31).

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/quran/024.qmt.html#024.031

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/quran/033.qmt.html#033.058

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/quran/033.qmt.html#033.059

freshprince1
09-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses can't really be considered to be part of Christianity. Both of them don't actually follow the new testament.

Jehovah's Witnesses don't, but Mormons do.

ZenOps
09-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Its a sad day for traditional Japanese Ninjas.

The black face veil being the hallmark of any good assassin.

Whats next? Are they going to take away their rights to walk down the street with a thousand year old three foot long acid etched blade? Its just so un-american... Oh wait its France, move along :thumbsup:

thetransporter
09-15-2010, 04:56 PM
I am not defending Saudi Arabia however the West (I am not sure how much of Alberta) and mainly America (yes I know your not an American) and people with similar views on the political spectrum, always bring up Saudi Human rights, yet the US continues to buy its oil from them,

Or like many of us have beef with China's humans right, and factory working conditions, yet we still buy products (and our gov) from them or products made in these factories.

And that sign was probably designed by a North American engineer anyway.

Originally posted by revelations

mx73someday
09-15-2010, 05:06 PM
A better solution to this problem would be to abolish public property.

Cash Money Hoes
09-15-2010, 05:25 PM
I think it is ridiculas that the French government is mandating what their citizens can and cannot wear. It starts with banning people from covering their face, where does it stop. More law in a society helps no one.

If these people don't want to assimilate it is hurting no one but themselves and their children in being able to take full advantage of everything that modern and progressive societies can offer.

Ultimately this will not discourage extremism in this country.

At the end of the day it is one less person that I am competing against for that job.

I say if they want to live in the stone age, let them.

DRKM
09-15-2010, 05:38 PM
+2 for ban. I want to walk into a bank or 7-11 wearing a ski mask and when I get arrested I will plead that it is my religious/cultural view.

davidI
09-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Cash Money Hoes
I think it is ridiculas that the French government is mandating what their citizens can and cannot wear. It starts with banning people from covering their face, where does it stop. More law in a society helps no one.

If you saw 4 men walking around in balaclavas on a warm sunny day how would you feel? Having access to facilities anonymously is a risk this day and age.

Besides, to me, the legal system needs to based on the customs and traditions of that society; it shouldn't be adapted to accommodate immigrants. What cultural issue will they feel entitled to next, female genital mutilation?

calgary403
09-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Not really closely related but not big enough news to make my own thread. But if this isn't what you would call a slap in the face I don't know what is:

GEzdK5xozEg

ZenOps
09-16-2010, 07:54 AM
I bet Iraq paid in gasoline and not in dollars too. A few billion dollars worth of gasoline is an insane amount of fuel.

In Iraq gasoline costed about 5 cents per gallon (circa 2005)

Thats the problem with making your land too prosperous and full of resources - Other people are just going to try and take it. The Billionaires dilemma - pass the majority of it on to their kids and have them live a life of misery living in a golden bulletproof box or spread it out a little...

Its like that one guy in Malarctic who is sitting on about 12 billion dollars worth of gold. The guy has got to have balls of steel to hold out this long. If nothing else, I think most people would also say that Saddam Hussien had balls of steel (as to whether or not he was a good or bad man is debateable)

Send Rob Anders to Malarctic. That will do the trick, trigger happy!

Tik-Tok
09-16-2010, 08:01 AM
This would never have been an issue, if all those women just wore white niqab or burka's. After all, the French love to show white flags.

derpderp
09-16-2010, 08:34 AM
French should just get some balls and ban Muslims already, really this is the way the most of Europe is headed anyway.

HiTempguy1
09-16-2010, 09:42 AM
If these people don't want to assimilate it is hurting no one but themselves and their children in

That is the problem, it doesn't hurt the people who impose it (the men), just the woman who have been brainwashed or have no choice.

mazdavirgin
09-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Jehovah's Witnesses don't, but Mormons do.

No they don't unless you want to claim that all Chrisitians are really Jews. Christianity sure as hell does not include John Smiths magic bible AKA the Book of Mormons. Not to mention the book of Mormons clearly contradicts sections of the new testament...

Cos
09-16-2010, 11:08 AM

No they don't unless you want to claim that all Chrisitians are really Jews. Christianity sure as hell does not include John Smiths magic bible AKA the Book of Mormons. Not to mention the book of Mormons clearly contradicts sections of the new testament...

Uhhh hate to break it to you but parts of the new testament contradict other parts of the new testament. So if that is your definition then no one is a Christian.

ekguy
09-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Go France!!!! Now if literally every country in the world followed suit. I'd be a strong supporter.

ekguy
09-16-2010, 11:16 AM

Bahahahaha you should really read the bible. There's many people who have pointed out the big number of contradictions in the bible. Richard Dawkins in the God Delusion explores this as well as the fact that burqas are not necessary...Some people haha.

mazdavirgin
09-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
Bahahahaha you should really read the bible. There's many people who have pointed out the big number of contradictions in the bible. Richard Dawkins in the God Delusion explores this as well as the fact that burqas are not necessary...Some people haha.

Sigh... All I am getting at is that mormonism is not part of the Christian faith for the same reasons Jews don't consider Christians to be Jews. The Christian faith is based on an extension of the Torah. The same way Mormonism is based on an extension of the Christian faith. It's not the same thing when you add a new book and thus not part of the original religion.

It has nothing to do with the correctness of the belief. My argument is simply based on nomenclature. You are calling something part of something it is not...

The fact there are contradictions in the bible is irrelevant since all Christians follow the same bible. When you start following a different text you are no longer Christian. Just like how Christians are not Jews even though they include the Torah as part of their faith.

GOnSHO
09-16-2010, 11:41 AM
+1 for this...

like someone said before..

if i have to take my sunglasses off to go in the bank.. they should have to take the facial covering off..

ekguy
09-16-2010, 12:34 PM

Sigh... All I am getting at is that mormonism is not part of the Christian faith for the same reasons Jews don't consider Christians to be Jews. The Christian faith is based on an extension of the Torah. The same way Mormonism is based on an extension of the Christian faith. It's not the same thing when you add a new book and thus not part of the original religion.

It has nothing to do with the correctness of the belief. My argument is simply based on nomenclature. You are calling something part of something it is not...

The fact there are contradictions in the bible is irrelevant since all Christians follow the same bible. When you start following a different text you are no longer Christian. Just like how Christians are not Jews even though they include the Torah as part of their faith.

Except that alot of Christians misread or down right don't know what the hell the bible even really says. Alot of it is mis-understood. Either way I believe every non-muslim country should 100% follow France's lead in this.

GOnSHO
09-16-2010, 01:38 PM

Except that alot of Christians misread or down right don't know what the hell the bible even really says. Alot of it is mis-understood. Either way I believe every non-muslim country should 100% follow France's lead in this.

:werd:

ZenOps
09-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Hey now... If Christians really want to lead by example, they should voluntarily not wear crosses.

Like thats gonna happen :rofl:

Godfuader
09-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Either way I believe every non-muslim country should 100% follow France's lead in this.
Syria (80% Muslim) was a forerunner to ban the burqa. It is not a Muslim vs. Non-Muslim issue. If there is enough evidence that this is a serious threat, then most countries 'should' adopt it...seeing as there is no Islamic relevance to this.

CUG
09-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Hey now... If Christians really want to lead by example, they should voluntarily not wear crosses.

Like thats gonna happen :rofl: That's invalid and false logic. Comparatively, it would be "Muslims can't wear a religious necklace, so Christians can't either".

Tighten up your argument, ZenOps.

ZorroAMG
09-17-2010, 04:07 AM
I lol when I see ninjas and pacman ghosts around town here.

Welcome to the 20th century, even, FFS.

Seanith
09-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Hopefully the rest of Europe follows suit. Quickly. I believe Belgium is close, and hopefully Italy and Germany make the right moves soon.

in*10*se
09-17-2010, 10:45 AM
i don't think anyone really sees whats going to happen next.

Someone is finally going to get fined/arrested.

Its going to go to court again to be debated for infringing on <insert something> freedom or rights.

The decision is going to be appealled

rinse and repeat x 10years

HiTempguy1
09-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by in*10*se

Its going to go to court again to be debated for infringing on &lt;insert something&gt; freedom or rights.

The decision is going to be appealled

You're forgetting an important part of this equation: stuck up French people. Sure, they are a bunch of wine drinking snobs, but they do know how to handle business sometimes. Frenchland is not quite like Canuckland.

;)

ZenOps
09-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by CUG
That's invalid and false logic. Comparatively, it would be &quot;Muslims can't wear a religious necklace, so Christians can't either&quot;.

Tighten up your argument, ZenOps.

Yeah it was a pretty weak statement... Its actually much more like the little round hat that devout Jewish males wear, to cover the bald spot. But I can't get away with going *too* far when talking about religious faiths.

Even the magnanimousI get into trouble now and again for the word I spew.

911fever
09-17-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm so for this, such a great stand by France.