PDA

View Full Version : Anybody feeling generous?

Shlade
09-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Looking for somebody with a perferably crappy bike or just any bike that can help a brotha out. My treat with taking you either A) taking you out for beer and food
or B) Bringing beer and ordering food.

Basically looking for somebody that could help me out with a few things and basics here and there about learning to ride on a bike, all the methods from starting a bike to the whole choke process and what not (im completly new to the bike scene but really really want to learn)

So if anybody has some spare time and willing to help me out that would be great! Really want to take up riding on 2 wheels!

Thanks and let me know :)

EDIT: for the record Ill try and sign up with too cool next year when the weather gets better but basically want to put my mind to ease before the snow and shit comes down so I know the DL atleast..

maxomilll
09-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Hey man I could probably help you out, PM me with what days you are free, my work schedule is all over the place at the moment so we'll see if we can work something out. I have an older FZ750, still carbureted so there's a chock and what not!
We can hit up some back roads or a parking lot, you'll learn the basics fast, then yeah just go to too cool or something and they'll teach you all the more important stuff.

Shlade
09-15-2010, 01:37 AM
pmd :)

Graham_A_M
09-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Ill help you. Been riding bikes for 21 years now, since I was 6. LOL, I can hopefully show you the ropes. ;)
I can teach you everything that Trevor will at Too Cool. Its just common sense and some race theory tossed into his advanced classes. :dunno:

his basic courses are impossibly straight forward. :facepalm:
Unless you're a mouth breathing fool that walks on 4 legs, I think you'll be well beyond any of the basic principles towards safe riding that he'll teach in any of those courses.
I took his advanced course when I was 14, and I was like: wow really?:rolleyes:

Yes rolling your throttle on in the turn will widen your line, backing off will tighten it. I think everybody knows that.
It was fun track time on a bike that wasnt mine... but above that its seriously common sense, and a couple good pointers but... somehow not work the pricetag.

If you want to be a great rider, take Brad's course at BGPR race schools. Brads a *wicked* rider, and can make you faster then you ever thought possible.
http://www.bgprschools.com/

BrknFngrs
09-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Ill help you. Been riding bikes for 21 years now, since I was 6. LOL, I can hopefully show you the ropes. ;)
I can teach you everything that Trevor will at Too Cool. Its just common sense and some race theory tossed into his advanced classes. :dunno:

his basic courses are impossibly straight forward. :facepalm:
Unless you're a mouth breathing fool that walks on 4 legs, I think you'll be well beyond any of the basic principles towards safe riding that he'll teach in any of those courses.
I took his advanced course when I was 14, and I was like: wow really?:rolleyes:

Yes rolling your throttle on in the turn will widen your line, backing off will tighten it. I think everybody knows that.

Wow, that was a bit harsh I'd say. I think the course offered by Too Cool was great in terms of coverage for new or semi-experienced riders. While it may seem like common sense afterwards; the amount of riders you see making basic mistakes that you would consider "common sense"after taking the course is mind blowing.

streethondas
09-17-2010, 11:20 PM
i have a bike, i can teach you how to "pedal" faster and pop some wheelies? :rofl:

Graham_A_M
09-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

Wow, that was a bit harsh I'd say. I think the course offered by Too Cool was great in terms of coverage for new or semi-experienced riders. While it may seem like common sense afterwards; the amount of riders you see making basic mistakes that you would consider "common sense"after taking the course is mind blowing.
^ Perhaps. Some of the safe riding techniques that I consistently see new riders fail on (of which causes countless accidents) is;
1) Speeding or riding too fast for what their skills/bikes allow
2) Stunting, in anyway shape or form
3) Not maintaining a sufficient space bubble around them at all times (remember the 2 second rule, and always obey it)
4) not constantly checking their mirrors to have a consistent understanding of whats happening around them at all times, and where their escape routes are.
5) Riding intoxicated.
6) Not maintaining a 20 second minimal eye lead time (also known as M.E.L.T.).... which basically means looking way down the road to see traffic conditions way beyond, and adjust your spacing/speed in accordance to that.
7) Ripping through intersections or any place that heavily requires the vision of other drivers. Too often people aggressively speed through intersections thus making it very difficult for novice drivers to properly gauge their speed; and thus make proper decisions of when to turn.

Ive been riding not so legally on the road since I was 14, and not so much as a single close call, leave alone an accident. :dunno:
Thinking a little goes a VERY long ways I've found

(I dont know, to me this is just common sense but.....)

....... I also have countless other tips. I'd go on and on with this post, but I have to take off quite soon, and have to cut this quite short. :dunno: My apologies.

Graham_A_M
09-17-2010, 11:33 PM
(double post, please delete)

Go4Long
09-18-2010, 11:16 AM
I would have to agree and respectfully disagree with graham all at the same time. :poosie:

I agree that the things taught in Too Cool are REDICULOUSLY basic and straight forward in their execution. However, I disagree in the way that it's being talked about here, yes, you can teach yourself all these things, and if you've been riding for any amount of time you're going to find the entire course trivial and absolutely boring, if you've got even a few months of solid time on the seat you're going to be able to breeze through the course with relative ease.

However, being that the OP stated clearly that he has absolutely ZERO riding experience, I would say it's a great way to get yourself that foundation of skills necessary to actually take it out on the road. If you expect to come out of the program riding like Rossi you're hugely mistaken...but I do firmly believe that if you're starting from zero the course is going to teach you some things that are really going to help you in the future. And they'll make you do some things on a bike that you might have just assumed weren't possible (running over large objects, etc)

I do however completely agree with Graham that BGPR is the way to go if you actually want to learn the skills necessary to be a better rider. Brad has more laps around race city with a passenger than most people have around the track period...a two up ride with brad is probably one of the most humbling experiences you'll ever have on a bike.

Brad:
http://www.stevenszabophoto.com/Other/Gavey/May-17-294/872412596_Swh8s-L-1.jpg

http://www.stevenszabophoto.com/photos/952566168_PHW74-L.jpg

The second one he's got my Fiance on the back...lol

EK 2.0
09-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by streethondas

i have a bike, i can teach you how to paddle faster and pop some wheelies? :rofl:

"pedal"

streethondas
09-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

"pedal"

Looool thanks :nut:

CUG
09-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Shlade, PM me if you have questions, even "dumb" ones. I've got 8 years and 6 crashes to reflect on. I also usually suggest that people triple check information they're given (from me too).

A lot of people in the bike community like to be the "guru" without actually knowing half of what they're talking about.