PDA

View Full Version : When does the cell phone law take effect?

Awd-Tsi
09-15-2010, 01:36 AM
I have heard people saying that this law is going to start soon, some people think it has already started but are not sure. I have drove by cops many times in the last few weeks talking or texting on my cell and they didn't care, so just wondering when does the law start?

2002civic
09-15-2010, 06:48 AM
I heard they are hoping to bring it into law next year sometime on the radio this morning.

sr20s14zenki
09-15-2010, 06:52 AM
Thank god, some of these pricks will get caught. Im tired of seeing some dipshit in front of me doing half the speed limit, or going half way into the other lane because hes too fucking occupied with his phone. Get a brain morans.

speedog
09-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Bill 16, Alberta's proposed Distracted Driver legislation hasn't even been debated in Alberta's legislature yet - see more information here (http://www.alberta.ca/acn/201004/28137FDF99AA6-A778-EEF5-958459FDA9C231ED.html).

speedog
09-15-2010, 08:05 AM
And more information (http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/distracteddriving.htm).

dr_jared88
09-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Hope the law works better there then it did here. I probably see more people use their cell phones now then before the law came into place. The first month or so you hardly saw anybody using their cell phone. However after people started realizing the law wasn't really being enforced, everybody went back to using their phones. A law that isn't enforced is next to useless.

codetrap
09-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Not fucking soon enough. I just about got taken out crossing the crosswalk by a guy driving a courier van yapping on his cell phone. I stopped and looked him in the eye and he waved his phone at me as his reason for almost plowing through us all.

I really really considered dragging him out of his vehicle and jamming the phone up his ass.

Tik-Tok
09-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Awd-Tsi
I have drove by cops many times in the last few weeks talking or texting on my cell and they didn't care, so just wondering when does the law start?

And you'll continue to see it even if the law passes. After all, they are "professionally trained"

Feruk
09-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Thank god, some of these pricks will get caught. Im tired of seeing some dipshit in front of me doing half the speed limit, or going half way into the other lane because hes too fucking occupied with his phone. Get a brain morans.

HONK! That's what it's there for.

Swank
09-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
Not fucking soon enough.

:werd:

revelations
09-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Get a brain morans.

I hope that was intentional

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/blueninja/Morans.JPG

adidas
09-15-2010, 11:41 AM

Morans

...orans

...rans

...ans

...Ans

...A...

GET A BRAIN MORANS!

beyond_ban
09-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

And you'll continue to see it even if the law passes. After all, they are "professionally trained"

I think he was talking/texting as he passed cops, he didn't actually see any police talking/texting.

Mitsu3000gt
09-15-2010, 11:43 AM
I get the texting part, but how is talking on a cell phone really any different than talking to a passenger in the car, especially if you use a headset or something? Even without a headset, most people drive with 1 hand anyways.

beyond_ban
09-15-2010, 11:45 AM
^ I know that a few states in the US have banned talking on your cell phone UNLESS you are using a hands free device; be it a bluetooth headset or syncing your phone via bluetooth to your car.

Xtrema
09-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Once you are on handsfree, you are no different than talking to your passenger. It's hard to catch.

I think this will become the seat belt law. They will do a quick run to make sure everyone knows the law in effect and rarely enforced afterward.

Muji
09-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Issue tickets at say $1,000 per infraction and the revenue can be spent by the police/city. Toss in a solid double charge on insurance rates for offends and we are revenue gold. All the data says using a cell phone while in the operation of a vehicle is very dangerous, impossible to argue the solid data, as solid as seat belts, running lights, airbags, etc. Max the fine and enforce, the way to riches and safer roads for all.

You taking or making a text/phone call if it costs $1,000?

Interesting article on "Cell Phone and Driving Laws Around The World"

http://www.articlesbase.com/finance-articles/cell-phone-and-driving-laws-around-the-world-1523341.html

Awd-Tsi
09-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

I think he was talking/texting as he passed cops, he didn't actually see any police talking/texting. yeah that is what I meant, for my job I use my phone a ton while driving.

Swank
09-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I get the texting part, but how is talking on a cell phone really any different than talking to a passenger in the car, especially if you use a headset or something? Even without a headset, most people drive with 1 hand anyways.

Because the passenger can see when a driving situation may be a bit dicey and shut up while you focus, whereas a person on the other end of a cell call will continue to yammer on.

Mitsu3000gt
09-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Swank

Because the passenger can see when a driving situation may be a bit dicey and shut up while you focus, whereas a person on the other end of a cell call will continue to yammer on.

I don't know a single person who stops talking when driving requires slightly more concentration. I doubt I am alone on that one, but who knows.

Tomaz
09-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Swank

That's why I love phones. Press the little red button and the voice stops speaking.

Do women come with this device yet?:devil:

AndyL
09-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Dunno, but I'm starting to wonder about the effectiveness of this law...

Lot of companies mandate you pull over to talk on the cell. Have you guys not seen all the moronic places people are choosing to pull over? We're going to start seeing a lot of accidents because of people parked on medians, half off the road, on shoulders etc.

brokeass
09-15-2010, 06:16 PM
They should have a woman law.

Awd-Tsi
09-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I don't know a single person who stops talking when driving requires slightly more concentration. I doubt I am alone on that one, but who knows. that's usually when the womans start talking more than they were :rofl:

sr20s14zenki
09-16-2010, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by revelations

I hope that was intentional

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/blueninja/Morans.JPG

100% haha, was waiting for somebody to pick up on that.