PDA

View Full Version : Mounting and wiring projector into ceiling

LUDELVR
09-15-2010, 07:38 AM
Just wondering where I can get some good quality AND VERY LONG component and regular rca video cables that I can wire into and over my ceiling and then down the wall to come out to a port where I can plug in my dvd player and 360.

I'm also looking for some ports that I can mount to the wall so I can just plug and unplug any of my electronics.

I haven't gone to future shop or any of those places yet, but where are some of the home theatre stores that specialize in this stuff?

Mixalot27
09-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Your best bet is probably ordering online from Monoprice. They sell good quality cables for very reasonable prices. Delivery is usually pretty quick too.

adam c
09-15-2010, 08:42 AM
you would want a receiver that can send one signal to the projector instead of having to plug in unplug every time you want to use something

and you will probably want what is on this page
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=hdmi+wall+plate&x=0&y=0

WhippWhapp
09-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Buy a receiver with component video switching, then run one cable to your display.

*above post beat me to it*

P.S.- receivers with decent specs and component switching can be found via kijiji on the cheap.

Grogador
09-15-2010, 10:41 AM
This is one of the few situations where HDMI might work better. Long runs of analog signal can pick up noise. You also won't be able to run 1080p over that length, if that matters.

WhippWhapp
09-16-2010, 12:41 AM
"Analog component video is an extremely robust signal type; we have had our customers run analog component, without any need for boosters, relays or other special equipment, up to 200 feet without any signal quality issues at all. However, at long lengths, cable quality can be a consideration--in particular, impedance needs to be strictly controlled to a tight tolerance (ideally, 75 +/- 1.5 ohms) to prevent problems with signal reflection which can cause ghosting or ringing.

DVI and HDMI, unfortunately, are not so robust. The problem here is the same as the virtue of analog component: tight control over impedance. When the professional video industry went to digital signals, it settled upon a standard--SDI, serial digital video--which was designed to be run in coaxial cables, where impedance can be controlled very tightly, and consequently, uncompressed, full-blown HD signals can be run hundreds of feet with no loss of information in SDI. For reasons known only to the designers of the DVI and HDMI standards, this very sound design principle was ignored; instead of coaxial cable, the DVI and HDMI signals are run balanced, through twisted-pair cable. The best twisted pair cables control impedance to about +/- 10%. When a digital signal is run through a cable, the edges of the bits (represented by sudden transitions in voltage) round off, and the rounding increases dramatically with distance. Meanwhile, poor control over impedance results in signal reflections--portions of the signal bounce off of the display end of the line, propagate back down the cable, and return, interfering with later information in the same bitstream. At some point, the data become unrecoverable, and with no error correction available, there's no way to restore the lost information. "

LUDELVR
09-16-2010, 07:53 AM
I've just gone to that website, bloody brilliant by the way, and bought the necessary cables that I need as well as the wall plates which are equally as brilliant!

Thanks boys for the link, totally saved me heaps of cash compared to some of the shops in Calgary here. I'll let you know how it turns out.

:thumbsup:

locust
09-17-2010, 01:20 PM
one thing you might consider is wiring some rj45 and using a balus converter.

long term you can switch the converters and put in what ever technology you desire.

ie. component, hdmi, dvi etc.

just food for thought when your wiring our setup.