PDA

View Full Version : custom box

Fred
12-26-2003, 09:27 AM
good old reliable sanata clause brought me some cash for crhistmas and i've decided to invest it in a custom sub box. i realy want to do it myself but i know nothing. ported, bandpass, mdf, fiber glass,...... the list of questions goes on. any idea where i could get started?

Zero102
12-26-2003, 10:11 PM
Hrm, well the MTX site explains everything briefly, but my best suggestion is go pester an installer at future shop or somewhere about it. There are a few good sites around for it, just look on google.
If you have any specific questions, I could answer them, but if I had to explain all the box types and such, I would be here all day.

tt398
01-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Before you build the enclosure - you need to design the sub enclosure. The the first step is deciding on the size and type of enclosure. Do you want:

1) Sealed enclosure
2) Simple ported enslosure
3) Bandpass enslosure

The you must pick ONLY two of the following design goals

1) Big dB SPL (sound pressure level)
2) very extended bass
3) low distortion levels

Then you must run a design program to give you the dimensions of the enclosure. I like WinISD - its free for download.

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd

PM me if you need some help.

spike98
01-02-2004, 04:11 PM
A little more info would be nice! What kind of sub(s) do you have? What are your goals for you system? SPL (loudness) or SQ (sound quality)? Once we know that then we can tell you how to build it. Also what kind of vehicle? Are you going for flashy install or steath?

I am more than willing to help!

Phat_Tercel_YO!
01-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by tt398
Before you build the enclosure - you need to design the sub enclosure. The the first step is deciding on the size and type of enclosure. Do you want:

1) Sealed enclosure
2) Simple ported enslosure
3) Bandpass enslosure

The you must pick ONLY two of the following design goals

1) Big dB SPL (sound pressure level)
2) very extended bass
3) low distortion levels

Then you must run a design program to give you the dimensions of the enclosure. I like WinISD - its free for download.

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd

PM me if you need some help.

I'm going to, unfortunately, have to somewhat disagree with you.

First you must pick out of your second list first and then design the enclosure around your goals.

Secondly, you can only choose 1 of those three listed, not two. it is impossible to get 2 of the three, without sacrificing one of them, otherwise, you might as well aim for all three with slightly less than desireable results.

However it is very easily achievable to get the three listed within a reasonable amount of effectiveness, or in other words... for blasting your stereo all day with your homies, all three to some degree will work perfectly fine.

If you want to perfect one of the three, throw the other two out the window... they are just lead weights holding you down in your quest for sonic nirvana.

I'm glad I started drinking again, otherwise I would never have cared to even respond to this post, but in conclusion glad I did, let's all have a good day.... cheerio.

Phat_Tercel_YO!
01-02-2004, 04:22 PM
But I am very sure that tt398's advice is of great value.

Also WinISD pro is a slightly helpful box building tool.

If I were you, I'd be aiming for SPL and extended response.

Extremely low distortion values have almost no place whatsoever in car audio as a practical medium.:thumbsdow

:nut:

vtec
01-02-2004, 07:55 PM
make sure u measure the dimesions of where ya gonna put it...
i made taht mistake and built my box an inch too big :(

Chester
01-03-2004, 01:43 AM
you should goto soundsaround and get them to build one for you. They built a custom box into the back of my friends Mini and it sounds awesome and looks awesome

Fred
01-03-2004, 02:48 PM
my biggest issue is that i want to keep my trunk and have it as stealth as possible. it's easy enough to build a box and shove the sub in it i want something that looks sharp

cycosis
01-11-2004, 04:31 PM
honestly, you should go A & B sound on macloed if u live in calgary. They did an amazing job on my custom fiber glass enclosures and they are extremely fair priced. they also ahve a life time wrranty on their install work. you should look 'em up.

tt398
01-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Phat_Tercel_YO!
But I am very sure that tt398's advice is of great value.

Also WinISD pro is a slightly helpful box building tool.

If I were you, I'd be aiming for SPL and extended response.

Extremely low distortion values have almost no place whatsoever in car audio as a practical medium.:thumbsdow

:nut:

It all depends if you are interested in "dB Drag Racing" or really smooth sound. Big volume doesn't matter to me - so I opted for extended bass response AND low distortion. Like I said in my previous posting - it depends upon your design goals.

I agree there are better programs than WinISD - but they all cost $$$.