PDA

View Full Version : App for P.Eng

bimmere92
09-16-2010, 08:33 AM
So, I had a falling out with my last employer (2009) due to company structure and lack of assistance... so I left.

I had submitted my application for P.Eng designation in May and it recently went to "Experience Examiner"... I have a strong feeling that 'this' employer may have added a couple of extra words to his questionairre.

I seek some advice from beyond since I noticed there are a number of Engineers on here.

Anyone experience something similar?
What if they reject my app? Is there an appeal process?

I am hoping they will take all experience into account... and not focus on this jackass' words.

ExtraSlow
09-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Well, anyone you use for a reference can make life difficult if they either a) say you didn't get quality experience, b) disagree about the length of your experience of c) say you are unsuitable for ethical or moral reasons.

But in most cases, all those experience examiners are looking for is the quantity of experience, and if you have one out of several references who bad-mouths you, that's not going to prevent you getting P.Eng.

APEGGA wants to approve people, as it keeps their revenues up. They need a very good reason to reject an application.

Super_Geo
09-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Did you have timesheets at your old work?

When I left my first job I printed and kept a copy of all my timesheets just in case I needed them for the PEng app.

bimmere92
09-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Did you have timesheets at your old work?

When I left my first job I printed and kept a copy of all my timesheets just in case I needed them for the PEng app.

Now thats a good idea... unfortunately I did not.

I have been exposed to more then "E.I.T" work, especially with my last job... but shit hit the fan when I expressed my desire to leave. We were short staffed and overworked with no compensation for OT (complete bullshit btw). Nothing changed months afterwards and when I finally got an offer from another company, I gave my notice... then they took it seriously and tried countering the offer but I stated I couldn't see my future with this company.

That being said, I am just looking to be prepared... I am expecting they said some negative words and I am looking for some input in regards to:

1. Will APEGGA side with this one company as opposed to the other two used? and if so, can I appeal the decision?

2. Can I pursue legal action against the company bad mouthing me? I have talked with previous employee's and heard of similar stories... I want to send a message.

This is just frustrating... thanks for the input guys.

Super_Geo
09-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by bimmere92
1. Will APEGGA side with this one company as opposed to the other two used? and if so, can I appeal the decision?

Not that APEGGA cares, but it looks bad that you've been with 3 companies in 4 years... You should stay put for a while.

I think you're right to be prepared, but I wouldn't expect them to go out of their way to screw you. It would look pretty bad on them if it got out there that they shit on your APEGGA apps if they don't like you, and it's a pretty small industry.

Abeo
09-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Not that APEGGA cares, but it looks bad that you've been with 3 companies in 4 years... You should stay put for a while.

I think you're right to be prepared, but I wouldn't expect them to go out of their way to screw you. It would look pretty bad on them if it got out there that they shit on your APEGGA apps if they don't like you, and it's a pretty small industry.

It probably isn't as bad as it looks.... 1 employer for internship, and 1 change after school within 4 years is pretty normal, from what I've seen.

bspot
09-16-2010, 10:39 AM
You're screwed if they want to sewer your application. It happened to me.

bimmere92
09-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by bspot
You're screwed if they want to sewer your application. It happened to me.

Please explain...

bspot
09-16-2010, 11:29 AM
The job I was doing for 5 years was the same as my friend who got his P. Eng. no problem. I applied for mine, and asked the guy who was my bosses boss for a good chunk of it to fill it out (no one else was an engineer) and he decided to say it wasn't engineering work, so now I'm toast.

The worst part is I'm a contractor so I've been paying the dues/application/testing fees myself.

*FLUSH* ~$1500 gone.

bimmere92
09-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by bspot
The job I was doing for 5 years was the same as my friend who got his P. Eng. no problem. I applied for mine, and asked the guy who was my bosses boss for a good chunk of it to fill it out (no one else was an engineer) and he decided to say it wasn't engineering work, so now I'm toast.

The worst part is I'm a contractor so I've been paying the dues/application/testing fees myself.

*FLUSH* ~$1500 gone.

Wow, thats harsh... trust me, I feel your pain.

So where do you stand now?

APEGGA puts way too much ownus on the employer, the system is flawed in my eyes. That's why I want to make a deal of it...

kaput
09-16-2010, 06:09 PM

Cos
09-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Even better, if the employer decides you aren't even worth the trouble of responding with something negative, APEGGA will charge you a fee for submitting an incomplete application.

Holy shit, I thought aset were fuckers

bimmere92
09-17-2010, 08:25 AM
It's a cult, I swear... I feel like a member of the freemasons or something.

I refuse to wear my ring and I never attended the weird ceremony or anything... I became an engineer for my interests in science and innovation... not because I wanted to join some exclusive geek club.

Anyways... I talked with my buddy who's a lawyer and he brought up a good point...

If refused P.Eng status... do they notify you in your letter as to why???

thanks for all the input guys

lilmira
09-17-2010, 09:50 AM
The situation has to be pretty bad for them to refuse your application. If that's the case, may be you shouldn't be one. The whole process isn't much harder than getting a driver's license except the part where you have to go through accredited university.

I remember I typed up my experience when I applied. I even remember that I had to do it again since it wasn't detail enough. There is a form that you can use too if you don't feel like making your own. I never had to ask my employer nor ex-employer to fill out experience for me. APEGGA will decide if your experience will qualify, no one else. You can find out what type of work will qualify and all the detail on the website if you don't have the package already. Then APEGGA will send out questionnaire to the three references that you provide just to confirm that you are not crazy.

If your employer is crazy enough to deny your existence, try explaining to someone at APEGGA. But then if your employer is that bad, why did you waste your time there in the first place?