PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Hotel/Hospitality

PremiumRSX
09-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Just wondering what kind of jobs are out there in the hotel/hospitality industry for a Hotel and Restaurant Management student from SAIT.

Posting for a friend. :D

G
09-16-2010, 10:23 AM
The thing with that industry is that no matter what schooling you have you will start at the front desk on shift.

wintonyk
09-16-2010, 10:26 AM
pretty much what G said.

My buddy has a degree in Tourism and worked as a server for the first 6 months at Delta before they would even consider another position for him. At that point there is potential to start moving up. He had lots of experience to start with too.

PremiumRSX
09-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Good to know, thanks.

What about any of these entry jobs? Is there any openings in Calgary?

If she should move to pursue this industry due to say lack of opportunity or growth in Calgary, where are some more viable locations?

Abeo
09-16-2010, 11:06 AM
I worked in the tourism industry for ~5 years dealing with hotels and attractions, all I can say to someone looking into it is avoid it. Very little money or advancement opportunities, despite what the colleges claim.... and they keep pumping out the diplomas.

In a province such as Alberta, where there is opportunity everywhere, I'd find something else to do... someone who 'does well' in hotel or tourism management will do way better in a profitable industry

PremiumRSX
09-16-2010, 11:10 AM
I think she is very willing to move though, such as moving out of Alberta and likely even out of Canada.

Thus said, is the tourism industry just as challenging?

If it's something she really wants to do I'd really hate to tell her she'd be better off doing something else.

Abeo
09-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by PremiumRSX
I think she is very willing to move though, such as moving out of Alberta and likely even out of Canada.

Thus said, is the tourism industry just as challenging?

If it's something she really wants to do I'd really hate to tell her she'd be better off doing something else.

Best thing for her to do is talk with people who have been in tourism for years. You have to get them to open up, but most gripe about lack of advancement and pay. Don't get me wrong, it can be incredibly rewarding to help people have a great time, but you have to balance that with your ability to pay the bills, and where you expect to be in 20 years. I knew many hotel front staff members who were stuck there for decades, the highest they reached was concierge at best. Others who worked in museums (federal government run ones paid well), but those positions were ridiculously hard to get. Others who worked on tourism boards and business improvement groups... the bright ones used it as a stepping stone for other positions outside of tourism, the ones who could play the politics would eventually move up, but the bulk of people never advanced.