PDA

View Full Version : Red Light + Funeral Procession

wintonyk
09-16-2010, 12:51 PM
On my way to work yesterday I passed a funeral procession heading in the opposite direction. The light turned red after maybe the second or third car. Following that another 15-20 cars continued going through the intersection.

Now I don't see a problem with this as it was not a busy intersection. But the chode beside me was honking his horn and started trying to cross the intersection.

Technically they are running a red, but i know sometimes cops will block off intersections for these kind of things. What is the legality of this? Do they make an exception to the law?

M.alex
09-16-2010, 12:53 PM
I ~think~ funeral processions have the right of way through red lights here?

Zhariak
09-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
I ~think~ funeral processions have the right of way through red lights here?

Funeral processions do infact have the right of way.

Sheesh, that guy that was honking sure sounds like a douche bag.

Redlyne_mr2
09-16-2010, 01:03 PM
I believe they need to have an authorized pace vehicle.

cet
09-16-2010, 01:04 PM
From http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2135.htm

Funeral processions and parades
If you are in a funeral procession, you may follow through an intersection controlled by a stop sign or a red traffic signal light without stopping. You must have your headlights on, and may only proceed if:

•you are not the lead vehicle
•you are following immediately behind the vehicle ahead
•it is safe to do so
You may not break through an authorized parade or the ranks of a military or funeral procession. Always exercise courtesy and respect.

bignerd
09-16-2010, 01:04 PM
They do it so the procession can all stay together instead of being broken up on the way to the cemetary. I agree honking is rude, most of the cars are marked with some sticker on the windshield and the hurst leads the way so kind of obvious what it is....

wintonyk
09-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks cet for confirming my suspicions.

The entire procession was very obvious. The lead car had lights flashing and most of the cars had their 4 ways on as well as stickers.

Guy beside me was just being a tool

topmade
09-16-2010, 01:12 PM
I've always wondered this so this is good information.

Redlyne_mr2
09-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Yah good to know, thought some sort of formal car was required.

mo_money2supe
09-16-2010, 03:59 PM
So let's say you're somewhere in the middle of the pack and the light turns red on you at an intersection with a red-light camera. Because the pictures likely won't show the herse/processional vehicle in the background, how would you fight the ticket? The "funeral procession" car signs are typically affixed near the front of the vehicle; again, the red-light camera would likely not take a picture of it.

This same scenario happened to a vehicle I was riding in for a funeral a few years back, but we decided to stop at the red instead to avoid the hassle. Opinions?

JfuckinC
09-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Good to know for sure. I wouldnt be mad or anything but i'd wonder why they were running red lights haha...

s2k_boi
09-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
So let's say you're somewhere in the middle of the pack and the light turns red on you at an intersection with a red-light camera. Because the pictures likely won't show the herse/processional vehicle in the background, how would you fight the ticket? The "funeral procession" car signs are typically affixed near the front of the vehicle; again, the red-light camera would likely not take a picture of it.

This same scenario happened to a vehicle I was riding in for a funeral a few years back, but we decided to stop at the red instead to avoid the hassle. Opinions?

I was in a funeral proceeding late last year and was advised by the funeral home if you do have a ticket from a red light camera ticket, just send it to them and they will get it taken care off / revoked. Think there is a agreement w/ the city.

beyond_ban
09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
^ I am sure that there would be a bunch of tickets given to you and the people following you and an appeal could be made to over turn the ticket. Where it would get sticky is if you were the last car in line and were the only one to get flashed.

Tik-Tok
09-16-2010, 04:13 PM
I have to say, if I was in the middle of a funeral procession and some asshole was honking at it, I'd have to stop and give them a piece of my mind, and I'm not the kind of guy to do that, normally.

AaronK
09-16-2010, 04:15 PM
wow what a dick, even if they were in the wrong, who honks at a funeral??

luxor
09-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Yah good to know, thought some sort of formal car was required.

It is required, there is normally the hearse (of course) and another vehicle(s) from the funeral home. Both of them lead the pack, have decals of the funeral home's name and PURPLE strobes/flashers affixed to the vehicles. If you meant like cops then I think they only come out when there is a ton of people attending the procession, or slain gangsters.

88CRX
09-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Pace car, then the hurst, then family, then the rest.

Was just in a funeral this week. They told us to stay close to the car in front of you and to only proceed if it was safe.

Also found out that all other cars (opposite direction, etc) are suppose to stop as well out of respect.

StreetRacerX
09-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Pace car, then the hurst, then family, then the rest.

Was just in a funeral this week. They told us to stay close to the car in front of you and to only proceed if it was safe.

Also found out that all other cars (opposite direction, etc) are suppose to stop as well out of respect.

I take it you shouldn't pass them either? Say leaving downtown on southbound McLeod.

luxor
09-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Umm nobody is going to do that, nor have I ever seen that happen before. Unless of course everyone is, say, turning left in front of you, then yes. Might as well stop breathing as well when there is a funeral procession nearby; out of respect.

:nut:

xxviet
09-17-2010, 12:39 AM
damn if they have right of way thats like 20 red light tickets :facepalm:

88CRX
09-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by luxor

Umm nobody is going to do that, nor have I ever seen that happen before. Unless of course everyone is, say, turning left in front of you, then yes. Might as well stop breathing as well when there is a funeral procession nearby; out of respect.

:nut:

I don't know.... maybe it's just a small town thing but cars coming the opposite direction stopped as we went by.