PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Lights - Is this an underground parkade issue?

guessboi
09-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Both my own cars have been sitting in an underground parkade lot temporary for the past 2 months until October.
and with such luck in the last week, both my cars have the check engine light on.

What caused this issue? The stealerships I talked to advise will cost $120+ for labour per hour to detect the problem. Any recommandations who I can bring this to?

One of my car actually got tuned up 2 months ago.

Tarrantula
09-16-2010, 04:05 PM
why dont you have the code read for free?

any chance they are around a 32000km interval? or multiple of that? sometimes the cars lights will come on just to make sure you get in for service (set by the manu)

guessboi
09-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Mazda is around 33,000km. so you are bang on.
Suzuki is 119,500 km.

Where can I get a code read for free?

liquidboi69
09-16-2010, 04:19 PM
AutoZone

94boosted
09-16-2010, 04:19 PM
I think Parts Source or CT will read them for you for free, if not buy a reader yourself they are between $40 to $100.

PD77
09-16-2010, 04:27 PM
CT won't read them for free fyi...Auto Value will though.

master hec0
09-16-2010, 05:04 PM
CT has there 150$ OBD II code reader going on sale tomorrow for 80$

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-16-2010, 05:09 PM
^Thanks for the tip, I think I might grab one to add to my school toolbox.

guessboi
09-16-2010, 05:20 PM
^nice. thanks for the heads up!

guessboi
09-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Can any one can help me out with these codes

Suzuki
P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold

Mazda
P2610 - ECM / PCM Internal Engine Off Timer Performance

toastgremlin
09-20-2010, 08:13 AM
The first one sounds like your catalytic converter is plugged or has otherwise died from old age. It's a little abnormal for them to die this early, but the Aerio does have a really tiny exhaust system so maybe they cheaped out on the cat.

P2610 for a Miata looks like it might be something to do with the ECU/sensor/misfire and the dealership will fix it with a reflash, based on a cursory Google search. I'd just clear the code by pulling the battery and see if it comes back.

guessboi
09-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks. I am taking the Suzuki in tomorrow and Mazda thursday. I will probably just get a tune up on the mazda and reset the code myself and see if it will come back!

Kennyredline
09-21-2010, 08:56 AM
OP, I'm wondering why you think this would be caused from parking your vehicle underground....?

Tarrantula
09-21-2010, 09:13 AM
^excess dust? no idea. My murano always has a decent layer on it.. even overnight.. :(

Scuderia
09-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula
^excess dust? no idea. My murano always has a decent layer on it.. even overnight.. :(

That wouldn't trigger a CEL, especially a cat CEL... I was confused when I read that too.:confused:
Anyways if you need to reset your codes and you're close to the NW I can help you out.

Scuderia
09-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Double post.

AndyL
09-21-2010, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't blame the parkade in most buildings for causing issues. but don't eliminate it either. I know of one particular building - which has such a badly balanced air-handler, that many residents have issues with MAF / MAP sensor codes being thrown as they exit the parkade (pressure change is great enough that the computer decides sensor has failed as it's not possible to go from below sea level to calgary altitude in >1min).

It's rare but it does happen. You can't miss the buildings where this occurs - usually has elevator doors that require manual help to close ;)

Guillermo
09-21-2010, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't worry about fixing the catalytic converter, they are not important for engine performance. waste of cash IMO.

Scuderia
09-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
I wouldn't worry about fixing the catalytic converter, they are not important for engine performance. waste of cash IMO.
LOL uhh... not really man. The waste of cash is going to be the engine he has to buy when his cat is fully clogged. Loss of engine power, overheating, fouling the o2 sensors, etc. Fix it before youre its fully clogged and something worse happens.

EDIT sorry got the mileage mixed up.

guessboi
09-21-2010, 10:02 PM
so i bought in the codes and my bodyshop gave me a better explanation from his system.

Suzuki

Shop told me to take it down to Carline in the NE by T&T supermarket.
Rick and Pat took my car in and had a look. Called a few places and advised there is no aftermarket parts that will fit the Suzuki's CAT. Got me a quote from freakin Deerfoot Suzuki (*sucks that Calgary Suzuki closed down since they have treated me so well) wants to charge 1,200 for the CAT converter + Labour from Carline - Around $1,400 to fix this crap, FML.

Pat at Carline advised to try some salvage yards where they can pull this part for me from other wrecked Suzuki Aerios. Any one can help me on this??? who to call if they have any wrecked aerios around?

Mazda

This one - pretty much tells me to reset the code and hope it doesn't come back on. hope the mx5 is alright. :D

Scuderia
09-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
so i bought in the codes and my bodyshop gave me a better explanation from his system.

Suzuki

Shop told me to take it down to Carline in the NE by T&T supermarket.
Rick and Pat took my car in and had a look. Called a few places and advised there is no aftermarket parts that will fit the Suzuki's CAT. Got me a quote from freakin Deerfoot Suzuki (*sucks that Calgary Suzuki closed down since they have treated me so well) wants to charge 1,200 for the CAT converter + Labour from Carline - Around $1,400 to fix this crap, FML.

Pat at Carline advised to try some salvage yards where they can pull this part for me from other wrecked Suzuki Aerios. Any one can help me on this??? who to call if they have any wrecked aerios around?

Mazda

This one - pretty much tells me to reset the code and hope it doesn't come back on. hope the mx5 is alright. :D

You have your answer right there man. Either pay the $1400 for a new cat, or grab one from the junkyard and get it installed. All you have to do is google "Calgary junkyard/scrap yard/salvage yard". Then call around everywhere and see who has it. Your situation really isn't that bad, cats can be five times more expensive, if you don't believe that, replace the cats that always go out on the 5.6 Nissan engines like the Titan. Then you'll want to FYL.

Tarrantula
09-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Why dont you cut the cat out? cheapest option.