PDA

View Full Version : Protest the Pope

Nusc
09-16-2010, 08:19 PM
People were protesting the pope?

ZenOps
09-16-2010, 08:28 PM
http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/09/15/war-of-the-words-papal-aid-drops-out-of-uk-visit-after-criticizing-country/

"When you land at Heathrow [airport] you think you are in a Third World land"

Ahaha... Yeah, Heathrow... Britain has gone awfully slummy in the last few decades. Never been there myself, but I hear it smells faintly of New York Subway ;)

Guillermo
09-16-2010, 08:41 PM
The pope (and catholic church) is so irrelevant these days, i'm surprised this has become an issue on the international media. seriously, who gives a fuck?

ZenOps
09-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Thats the whole point of the visit.

To make religion relevant again. Britain is pretty much just as far gone as Germany in terms of agnostics and athiests.

Islam still has a strong following, but many many Christians are just too lazy (if that is the reason to be believed) to follow the church anymore.

Its like Bill Gates telling you to buy Vista. National tour.

Graham_A_M
09-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Im extremely happy to see the church slowly dissolve into nothing.
Yes like what was previously mentioned the church holds almost no power, leave alone in comparison to what it once held between about 950-1600.

CUG
09-16-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm glad this came up. I'd like to point out the contrast between this article, and any recent article about another religion that's been getting the spotlight lately:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11338643

The Popemobile joined the annual St Ninian's Day parade where police estimated about 125,000 people had turned out to see him. (Sorry Graham AM)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11333448

Earlier, the Queen said the visit was an opportunity to "deepen the relationship" between Catholicism and the Churches of England and Scotland. She also praised the Catholic Church's "special contribution" to helping the poorest and most vulnerable around the world. (I lol'd, but still)

and on aggressive secularism/extremism:

He added: "Today, the United Kingdom strives to be a modern and multicultural society. In this challenging enterprise, may it always maintain its respect for those traditional values and cultural expressions that more aggressive forms of secularism no longer value or even tolerate."

Sorry, must be a better PR campaign or something.

The same people protesting the Catholic church for few occasions of child abuse, would also hopefully protest any other relgion that abuses people; women, children, or non-believers.

ZenOps
09-17-2010, 06:35 AM
If you want my take on why the UK is opening is doors to multiculturalism.

They have to. Given that a couple dozen nations will be getting the nuke soon.

The British empire is based on conquest, the maps of the world still say things like "British Columbia" and "French Guyana". The UK can no longer afford a war of independance with any state from now on, nevermind the US 300 years ago.

Could write a paper on it, might just...

Modelexis
09-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Guillermo
The pope (and catholic church) is so irrelevant these days, i'm surprised this has become an issue on the international media. seriously, who gives a fuck?

I agree the church and pope are irrelevant these days, but I don't think child molestation is irrelevant and the criminals related to these offenses should be dealt with to the same or higher law as any other criminal.

So I don't think the pope's irrelevancy has anything to do with his innocence.

NuclearPizzaMan
09-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
If you want my take on why the UK is opening is doors to multiculturalism.

They have to. Given that a couple dozen nations will be getting the nuke soon.

The British empire is based on conquest, the maps of the world still say things like "British Columbia" and "French Guyana". The UK can no longer afford a war of independance with any state from now on, nevermind the US 300 years ago.

Could write a paper on it, might just...

oh come on now, you can do better than that. Britain must embrace multiculturalism or Rob Ander's fake moon landing will be exposed as a hoax.

ZenOps
09-17-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't know if Rob Anders is a hoax believer or not.

The UK has always been a tiny nation population-wise. Even with insane amounts of immigration of every colour and religion - they barely push 60 million people.

If they had adopted a stance of white/christian only - The nation would probably be much smaller population wise, maybe even smaller than Canada. They seem to like it that way though - fewer people means more for the people that are around. Per Capital wealth (or probably more accurate to say, acreage land wealth) is high because of population culls.

It is afterall the land where "decimation" was founded in Rome. Killing off one out of every ten of your own soliders makes for a very brutal but effective means of maintaining wealth. Its the cornerstone of Republican Rome (and some say modern Republican as well)

The Christian church in no small way - got much of its early wealth from the decimated deaths of its own soliders. Pull the trigger!

BTW: China perhaps does it the more human way - one child only. Don't have the kid in the first place so that you don't have to kill him in a world war later on.. Its all a matter of perspective. Muslims tend to see the human rights issues of certain religious faiths, but others seem completely blind to them (and vice versa)

NuclearPizzaMan
09-17-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't know if Rob Anders is a hoax believer or not.

The UK has always been a tiny nation population-wise. Even with insane amounts of immigration of every colour and religion - they barely push 60 million people.

If they had adopted a stance of white/christian only - The nation would probably be much smaller population wise, maybe even smaller than Canada. They seem to like it that way though - fewer people means more for the people that are around. Per Capital wealth (or probably more accurate to say, acreage land wealth) is high because of population culls.

It is afterall the land where "decimation" was founded in Rome. Killing off one out of every ten of your own soliders makes for a very brutal but effective means of maintaining wealth. Its the cornerstone of Republican Rome (and some say modern Republican as well)

The Christian church in no small way - got much of its early wealth from the decimated deaths of its own soliders. Pull the trigger!

BTW: China perhaps does it the more human way - one child only. Don't have the kid in the first place so that you don't have to kill him in a world war later on.. Its all a matter of perspective. Muslims tend to see the human rights issues of certain religious faiths, but others seem completely blind to them (and vice versa)

The UK is 22nd in population, and ~90% of it's population is white. It took me less than a minute to find that information. 90% of 60 million is still much higher than Canada's population.

514 dead in the middle east in the last decade. You really think that somehow boosted their economy? What does that have to do with anything?

Really, this is a case of a Pope reeling from an erosion of belief across Europe trying to stay relevant. Do you actually know anything?

Pollywog
09-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Ahaha... Yeah, Heathrow... Britain has gone awfully slummy in the last few decades.

Never been there myself [...]

Cmon man, that doesn't even make sense. I've been to London many times in the last 5 years (just got back 2 weeks ago) and the last thing I have ever thought about it is that it is "slummy". Their streets are much cleaner than ours, even with 8x the population. The tube stations and trains were very clean as well, and the outskirts of town consist of gorgeous little communities.

911fever
09-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

Cmon man, that doesn't even make sense. I've been to London many times in the last 5 years (just got back 2 weeks ago) and the last thing I have ever thought about it is that it is "slummy". Their streets are much cleaner than ours, even with 8x the population. The tube stations and trains were very clean as well, and the outskirts of town consist of gorgeous little communities.

no kidding, what an exaggeration. While it rains a lot and the streets can look muddy when wet, it's 19542384 times more gorgeous than like Edmonton haha