PDA

View Full Version : Putting in a sub

rob.cal
09-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Just wanna get some other people's inputs in this matter. I've got an s2000, and the interior acoustics suck, so I've swapped out the speakers and the deck, and it is a lot better, but the bass is really lacking. I'm thinking of putting in a sub, but I'm not sure where to put it in. I wanna maintain the limited trunk space that I do have, and at the same time I wanna have that little hidden compartment in the trunk to store a few tools in case I do get a flat or something. I was thinking of the panel behind the driver's seat, but I'm a pretty tall guy, so I need the leg space haha. Any suggestions? I'm sure the electronics guys on here will have some suggestions, and hey if you know someone that can do it, I'll be more than glad to give them a try.

theken
09-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Put it behind the passenger seat. Buy a shallow mount 8 inch kicker or jl plenty off bass from a little box

rob.cal
09-18-2010, 02:43 PM
That's where my amp is atm haha

Cooked Rice
09-18-2010, 03:05 PM
throw the amp under the seat and the sub behind the seat.

Pollywog
09-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Depends how much bass you want, but "brandon" on beyond put a sub in the back of his TT (despite there being almost a second firewall between the seats and the rear trunk) and it sounded great. That way you don't need a ridiculously compact subbox that could inherently degrade the potential of the sub itself. The amp could then be installed behind your seat and your system should sound much better than it did originally. If you install the sub within the cabin you will definitely feel and hear more bass than you would if it was in the trunk, but it is unnecessary if you are just looking for something to compliment the low-end.

inline6turbo
09-18-2010, 05:08 PM
I've seen people do a custom box between the two seats where that center compartment is on the rear firewall. Similar to the Viper. I'd suggest trying that.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/straight6turbo/JL_Speakers.jpg

rob.cal
09-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks inline6, that setup looks sick, but for all practical purposes, the "glove compartment" is pretty useful for me, but putting the amp on the floor and the sub behind sounds like a good idea.

Graham_A_M
09-20-2010, 05:27 PM
You may want to mount the amp (its probably fairly small) in the dash, or around the glove box area. You can mount the amp upside down or where-ever. Chances are its a class D amp, and wont require convection style cooling.

Id consider even a decent 6" sub, as that wont blow your doors off but it'll really ad to the low end. I had a couple 6" subs in my Z4, and they had some serious bite to them.
I later upgraded to a single 8" though.

I'd avoid Kicker. Their subs sound like ass..... Sure if you want that thick, monotone "boom" feel free... :rolleyes: but if you're like me I'd keep looking. (I dont know I kind of enjoy actually hearing the low end the way it supposed to sound). :dunno: All the Kicker subs as of late are just pure shit.
Loud? yes, sound decent even in the least? not even possible; regardless of box design.

rob.cal
09-20-2010, 10:31 PM
That's a good idea Graham, where did you put your subs in your Z4?

Graham_A_M
09-20-2010, 10:37 PM
It had factory subs right behind each seat, so I just put them into those factory enclosures. For the 8"; it needed a very small box, so I put it in a small nook in the trunk. All in all it took away a very very small amount of space. Yet for the bass duties it did the job perfectly fine. I've never owned an S2k, so take a snap shot of your trunk, and I'll use my Subwoofer box designing software to find a sub & design a box for your car.

EDIT
Here is my sub/amp install for my Z4.

(speaking of which, why dont you place your amp in your trunk like I did?)
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248228

copynpaste
09-21-2010, 09:04 AM
I agree kicker subs suck. theyre speakers are decent but subs id go with JL audio or MTX audio.

rob.cal
09-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Oh man, that looks nice Graham, I'll take a picture in the next little while here, hopefully I can get this done before the snow hits us!