PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Rav4 Demo Offer - Good Deal?

marsrover
09-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Hey All,

I'm new to the forums but this seems like a nice community. I'm glad to be here. :)

I'm currently shopping for a new vehicle. What do you guys think of the following offer:
2010 Toyota Rav4 Base 4WD with Upgrade Package (17" Aluminum Alloy Wheels, Wheel Locks Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio & 6-Disc CD changer... all features that I would appreciate)
Demo Model with 9500km on odometer (about 5900 miles)
Invoice is $30453 CAD. Dealer is offering a rebate of $1557 (that's on top of the national promotion of $2500).
The rebate comes out to 5.1% of the invoice price, or 16 cents per kilometer (26 cents per mile). This seems a bit low to me, for 9500 km, but I really do want the car. Do you guys think this is a reasonable discount?

(My other option is to buy a brand new Rav4, without the upgrade package, for about $29k)

Jeremiah
09-18-2010, 12:43 PM
That doesn't seem to be enough off the price if you ask me

InRich
09-18-2010, 01:10 PM
^ nope.... thats a sucker deal....

when I was buying my BMW earlier this year, the sales guys always take the initial test drive with you, so that they can show you the true preformance of their cars....

shit, they drove that car so hard, it completly turned me off of buying ANY demo car in the future....

With 9500km + demo, I would be asking for 4k MINIMUM off... think about it man.... your not buying a new car anymore.... your not even buying a used car... your buying a demo. basically everyone that has ever driven that car, has beat the shit outta it. not to mention the fact that demos are NEVER broken in properly... and I'm not just talking engine... breaks, engine, etc

brokeass
09-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Rip off, that car has already depreciated 6 grand once you ride it off their lot. May as well add the extra and buy a brand new one.

asifka
09-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Go with brand new if savings are not significant. $1500 is good amount of money but when you finance, its about $25 difference.

Stunt66
09-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by InRich
^ nope.... thats a sucker deal....

when I was buying my BRAND NEW BMW earlier this year, the sales guys always take the initial test drive with you, so that they can show you the true preformance of their cars....

shit, they drove that car so hard, it completly turned me off of buying ANY demo car in the future....

With 9500km + demo, I would be asking for 4k MINIMUM off... think about it man.... your not buying a new car anymore.... your not even buying a used car... your buying a demo. basically everyone that has ever driven that car, has beat the shit outta it. not to mention the fact that demos are NEVER broken in properly... and I'm not just talking engine... breaks, engine, etc

Fixed it for ya inrich. Inrich pretty much nailed it with this, demos are always driven hard and with 9500kms of demo driving that thing is likely to have problems in the future and $1500 is a bend over and take it dry rebate.

Tik-Tok
09-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Would a RAV4 seriously be driven hard though? I mean who the hell takes RAV4 for a performance test drive?

I wouldn't take that deal myself though. As said you aren't buying a new car anymore, you're pretty much buying a low km taxi.

To give you a little more insight, when companies (like mine) require you to drive your own vehicle, the typical rate per KM is 30 to 40 cents.

So if you REALLY want that demo car with the upgrade, I'd be expecting $3000 off the price because of the KM's AND I'd still be asking for more off after that. Don't forget car on the lot are already bought and paid for by the dealership, they NEED to get rid of them to profit, and a DEMO car is that much harder to sell.

kaput
09-18-2010, 01:54 PM

Russo
09-18-2010, 01:57 PM
yep agree with all the comments, also you will be coming to a bigger services where u ll have to spend more money, not just an oil change.

just look how much those go for with that mileage as private sale, even if its a year older, should give u a good idea

Stunt66
09-18-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm not really talking about redlining the whole time but most test drives do invlolve a little bit of accelerating here and there and with 9500kms that adds up and aren't you supposed to take it easy for the first couple thousand anyways? I'm not sure what those are worth new but 1500 is a joke rebate.

Guillermo
09-18-2010, 07:04 PM
That seems like A TON of miles for a demo... I mean, driving to Florida and back is about 9000 km. How is it possible to get that many miles on a car when people are just taking it for short test drives around the dealership?

I bet the sales guys were taking it home and stuff.

gqmw
09-18-2010, 08:15 PM
That's a terrible deal. You could probably get about 1k additional off a brand new vehicle. And maybe even 1500 depending on which model/how well you bargain. At 10k km's in a car that's been bagged on...that's a garbage deal.

marsrover
09-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I have my answer.

Guillermo
09-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Instead of a new rav4, why not look around for used '08s-'10s? You'll spend substantially less than buying new - or, you'll get a much better vehicle for the same money. :dunno:

Scuderia
09-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Buy used, or buy brand new. Don't go in between. RAV4's imo are one of the nicest overall SUV's to have in Calgary. If you want to save the money, buy used. If you're okay with getting bent over, buy new from the dealership, that way you can have peace of mind with no regrets, all the options you want, and suitable financing routes.

marsrover
09-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I skipped the RAV4 Demo Model. Ended up buying a brand new 2010 Santa Fe for almost the same money and I am VERY pleased with it so far.

black300
09-23-2010, 08:53 AM
I would say not a good deal at all... It's driven 10k and the dealership needs to get rid of that vehicle and start with the new arrivals... Like someone else said I would compare a similar Rav4 with similar options and tell them to match the price.

Demo's are always beaten, there outside overnight in the morning salesman comes starts it puts a plate on it and takes it for a test drive with a customer, without warming it up.

I have faced the similar situation many times when I was gna buy a vehicle.

Let's face it we all test out the performance capabilities of a vehicle no matter what it is, even if it's a civic...everyone wants to know what they are spending $ is capable of.

CapnCrunch
09-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Lol all this talk about the vehicles depreciation and he ends up with a brand new Hyundai. :rofl: