PDA

View Full Version : Arrested for criticizing CPS

Grogador
09-18-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Police+charges+libel+obstruction+against+Calgary+website+operator/3539705/story.html

CALGARY - RCMP have laid five charges against a Calgary man related to the operation of a website highly critical of Calgary police officers.

In a news conference Friday morning, RCMP announced the charges against John Kelly, 53, of Calgary.

Kelly's website accused officers of perjury, corruption and destroying evidence, RCMP said. Police deny the charges, saying they injure the reputation of Calgary police officers and interfere with an ongoing homicide investigation.

Kloubek
09-18-2010, 03:42 PM
http://www.rottenapples.info/

JustGo
09-18-2010, 03:47 PM
No, not for criticizing.

For "four counts of publishing libellous statements on the Internet against specific police officers between November 2009 and Sept. 4, 2010.

A fifth charge accuses Kelly of obstructing a police officer from his duties between June 2008 and Feb. 18, 2010."

Criticizing is different than defamation. Your thread title is biased and misleading.

If any of you have seen this guys site, you would see just how off the wall he is. His 'criticisms', are far from that. They are complete slander, and about as far fetched as you can get.

He tied his own rope when he interfered with a homicide investigation, though... not very smart.

Pollywog
09-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Edit: nevermind.

FraserB
09-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Wasn't this guy also posing as a Victims Services member to try and get info to try and sue the police?

Good job on not quoting the important parts of the article and making a pretty dumb title OP.

RY213
09-18-2010, 04:14 PM
The only crime this John Kelly guy should be charged with is making that hideous geocities-esque website...

tictactoe2004
09-18-2010, 04:22 PM
This

Originally posted by FraserB
Good job on not quoting the important parts of the article and making a pretty dumb title OP.

frizzlefry
09-18-2010, 04:24 PM
I have seen his website before. Pretty obvious the guy is crackers.

TorqueDog
09-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Truth is an absolute defense to libel. Haven't bothered and don't intend to read the guy's website, but if he's full of shit, he's done for.

Grogador
09-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Well, since they made the charges criminal, the prosecution will have to convince every juror, beyond a reasonable doubt, of John Kelly's guilt.

Public benefit

309. No person shall be deemed to publish a defamatory libel by reason only that he publishes defamatory matter that, on reasonable grounds, he believes is true, and that is relevant to any subject of public interest, the public discussion of which is for the public benefit.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 273.

Fair comment on public person or work of art

310. No person shall be deemed to publish a defamatory libel by reason only that he publishes fair comments
(a) on the public conduct of a person who takes part in public affairs; or
(b) on a published book or other literary production, or on any composition or work of art or performance publicly exhibited, or on any other communication made to the public on any subject, if the comments are confined to criticism thereof.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 274.

When truth a defence

311. No person shall be deemed to publish a defamatory libel where he proves that the publication of the defamatory matter in the manner in which it was published was for the public benefit at the time when it was published and that the matter itself was true.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 275.

jj83civic
09-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Don't speak out against the gestapo.

Scuderia
09-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by jj83civic
Don't speak out against the gestapo.

Shutup troll. Speak when spoken to.

Supa Dexta
09-19-2010, 05:34 AM
Ha^ One troll calling out another. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ryder_23
09-19-2010, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Ha^ One troll calling out another. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No doubt, dayglow isn't a traffic cop :rofl:

DayGlow
09-19-2010, 07:25 AM
just a shitty spellar that puts his foot in his mouth.

I think this guy's downfall was that he interfered with a homicide investigation. 10 to 1 if he stuck to his website nothing would have happened. What he did I have no idea, but the CBC site says he was interfering with witnesses, which is pretty big.

ZenOps
09-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Happens all the time.

I think the compaqsucks.com guy got sued for a few million a few years back.

Defamation suits are rampant nowadays. I've nearly had to appear in court for a few. I've never said anything stronger than what Rob Anders says - so its not like its an "equal" thing. Some peeps get away with much more defamatory speech, some peeps get sued for millions.

You probably won't get away with defaming an authority figure, but you will definitely not get away with defaming a corporation.

revelations
09-19-2010, 10:21 AM
While I didnt go through the entire website (hes got a lot of diatribe on there) .... nothing substantiated was produced... maybe I missed something?

Contrast this to the Banerjee thread where evidence was produced to refute his claims of innocence and character assassination.

Its good that citizens take up action like this though (up to a point). We dont live in a police state and members of the police, including the upper brass, have to be accountable to the public.

calgary403
09-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow

I hope this was intentional. :dunno:

Tik-Tok
09-19-2010, 11:10 AM
"In my 29 years, I've never heard of an individual being charged under the criminal code for libel charges, defamation of character," McGinnis said during the news conference.

I was gonna say, when I read the thread title, I have never heard of anyone getting arrested for defamation of character, it's always just a civil suit.

Even if he is bonkers, he should be getting the charges for obstruction, but the libelous stuff should be kept in civil court.

Scuderia
09-19-2010, 11:43 AM

I think this guy's downfall was that he interfered with a homicide investigation. 10 to 1 if he stuck to his website nothing would have happened. What he did I have no idea, but the CBC site says he was interfering with witnesses, which is pretty big.

LMAO are you serious? Are you being serious right now?

TomcoPDR
09-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Don't worry my sarcasm detector was on :thumbsup:

DayGlow
09-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Wow some people have no sense of humor. Although it is gratifying to have my very own virtual stalker, I do provide signed pictures if people ask nicely.

e31
09-19-2010, 01:09 PM
"four counts of publishing libelous statements on the Internet against specific police officers between November 2009 and Sept. 4, 2010.

A fifth charge accuses Kelly of obstructing a police officer from his duties between June 2008 and Feb. 18, 2010."

That's it? Surely this guy is a nut-job, but the charges laid (unless watered down like usual) do not convince me that the prosecutors think his works are entirely fictional. Obviously the CPS has done something in the past that has created an obsessive crack-pot out of this guy. Unfortunately if this guy had only published facts and not tainted it with slander, his website would be considered a public service.

The truly sad thing is that there are deliberate fuck-ups in the police force that give credence to people like Mr Kelly. Noting this people should think twice before holding the entire CPS to a golden standard.

Scuderia
09-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Wow some people have no sense of humor. Although it is gradifying to have my very own virtual stalker, I do provide signed pictures if people ask nicely.

Really man? Are you actually serious? The problem is, you weren't joking. You didn't do it for the sake of sarcasm. You spelled speller as "spellar". Normally, I wouldn't care that you have the ability to lose a spelling bee to a goat, but when you start critisizing people on THEIR spelling and grammar skills, someone is going to speak out. Gratitude. Gratuity. GRATIFYING.

DayGlow
09-19-2010, 01:46 PM
yes I can't spell worth shit and as pointed out 4 months ago I royally put my foot in my mouth over it. 4 months ago, but if it gives you that enjoyment, fill yer boots.

mazdavirgin
09-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Censorship knows no bounds when you insult the authority... What a bunch of crock. If this was just about obstructing justice then how come the charges including libel. Clearly this has now become a personal vendetta of the police force. Frankly something looks pretty fishy in this situation. Why do they want to shut down his website if they are really just concerned about him obstructing? Hmm maybe the allegations are striking close to home and the police department just wants to shut things up? Otherwise why would they bother pursuing a "loonie" guy with a crappy website?

Just goes to show how the corruption of the whole police force. Reminds me of how Edmonton police department handles it's abuse of force cases...

Godfuader
09-19-2010, 03:56 PM
jj83civic
Banned
:thumbsup:

Scuderia
09-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
jj83civic
Banned
:thumbsup:

About fuckin time.

CUG
09-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Scuderia

About fuckin time. Might wanna talk to mods about your trader rating, brotha. LOL

revelations
09-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Scuderias Sig
Our local traffic cop critisizing someone about their "sentance" structure and "gramar". Who said traffic cops are useless?

Dayglow is not a member of the traffic division.

Graham_A_M
09-19-2010, 04:50 PM

Holy shit some of you guys are a like a rabid pack of wolves, just praying for him or any other member of the CPS to make a mistake.
When they do you're just all over it.

Scuderia
09-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Holy shit some of you guys are a like a rabid pack of wolves, just praying for him or any other member of the CPS to make a mistake.

It's actually quite the opposite. If you read the threads in question, and you read my above post, neither I, nor anybody else would really care if he wasn't parading around trying to own people for spelling and grammar errors. That's why I kept my mouth shut and didn't post after Dayglows last post. Different people have different opinions regarding different experiences with the CPS. Lol I don't think anyone is trying to start a civilian vs. police forces grammar showdown.

Tik-Tok
09-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

And yet when there's a spelling error on their traffic ticket, they ask everyone if that will get them off the hook :rofl:

Scuderia
09-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Dayglow is not a member of the traffic division.

Fixed, thanks.:thumbsup:

CUG
09-19-2010, 06:10 PM

Fixed, thanks.:thumbsup: You're ripping on the guy pretty large-style about his spelling, so I just wanted to note that I have two professors with PhD's who can't write to save their buttholes. Obviously a different measure, but I haven't seen Dayglow write abhorrently the same way a lot of other members here do.

Scuderia
09-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by CUG
You're ripping on the guy pretty large-style about his spelling, so I just wanted to note that I have two professors with PhD's who can't write to save their buttholes. Obviously a different measure, but I haven't seen Dayglow write abhorrently the same way a lot of other members here do.

Lol they shouldn't be professors then?:dunno:
I know there are other members that spell like idiots, but they're probably sincerely stupid. Like I said, it was only because he was pwning the poster in the other thread, and his own mistakes were pretty comical. If I don't know shit about cooking, I'm not going to join a group of ten people while they critisize someone on the food they're making, because of the sole fact that I don't know shit about cooking. It's alright though, we're all grown men, no hard feelings.

calgary403
09-19-2010, 07:51 PM

I know there are other members that spell like idiots, but they're probably sincerely stupid. Like I said, it was only because he was pwning the poster in the other thread, and his own mistakes were pretty comical. If I don't know shit about cooking, I'm not going to join a group of ten people while they critisize someone on the food they're making, because of the sole fact that I don't know shit about cooking. It's alright though, we're all grown men, no hard feelings.

In your signature you spelled "critisizing." It is actually spelled "criticizing."

OOOhhhhhhh the irony.

DayGlow
09-19-2010, 07:55 PM

It's actually quite the opposite. If you read the threads in question, and you read my above post, neither I, nor anybody else would really care if he wasn't parading around trying to own people for spelling and grammar errors. That's why I kept my mouth shut and didn't post after Dayglows last post. Different people have different opinions regarding different experiences with the CPS. Lol I don't think anyone is trying to start a civilian vs. police forces grammar showdown.

I fully agree that it's quite comical and I deserve mocking over it, but I call BS that my choosen profession has nothing to do with it. The very fact that you need to highlight what I do as part of your sig shows it has underlying meaning to you. Can you honestly say that if it was some random tool making an ass of themselves you'd take the time to create a similar sig?

Scuderia
09-19-2010, 08:23 PM

I fully agree that it's quite comical and I deserve mocking over it, but I call BS that my choosen profession has nothing to do with it. The very fact that you need to highlight what I do as part of your sig shows it has underlying meaning to you. Can you honestly say that if it was some random tool making an ass of themselves you'd take the time to create a similar sig?
You, my man, are 150% right. Nowhere in any post did I say your chosen profession was irrelevant. That's why we agree to disagree, and I can't argue that.

revelations
09-19-2010, 08:48 PM
^ It really makes you look like a 4th grader if you have to resort to putting down members like this.

Its one thing to poke fun at someones spelling in a thread, another to place that persons spelling mistakes in a sig.

calgary403
09-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by revelations
^ It really makes you look like a 4th grader if you have to resort to putting down members like this.

Its one thing to poke fun at someones spelling in a thread, another to place that persons spelling mistakes in a sig.

Bam!

JustGo
09-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Wow, using a sig as a spelling call-out.

That's a new low.

But as has been said in this thread already, if you're going to call out someone on spelling, at least try and spell 'criticize' correctly.

chkolny541
09-20-2010, 12:18 AM
he's just got the newbie mentality, try to get e-cred by putting everyone else down, can we get a ban here?

Disoblige
09-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Yeah, this grammar police crap has just reached a new low. I swear most of these people who we've been seeing on Beyond lately have to be aliases of previously banned members.

luxor
09-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Okay so Scuderia wants to play grammar Police, let's play. I quoted you five times and will give you a grade out of 10 in total. Each post is out of two.

LMAO stands for "laugh my ass off." So in contraction form it should be written as l.m.a.o. (-1)

Really man? Are you actually serious? The problem is, you weren't joking. You didn't do it for the sake of sarcasm. You spelled speller as "spellar". Normally, I wouldn't care that you have the ability to lose a spelling bee to a goat, but when you start critisizing people on THEIR spelling and grammar skills, someone is going to speak out. Gratitude. Gratuity. GRATIFYING.

You spelled criticizing as "critisizing." (-1)

When you compare or list items in relation with each other, you don't use periods after each item or else that separates them. Furthermore, those three words cannot stand alone as independent clauses. The proper way to do it is in list form: Gratitude, Gratuity, and Gratifying. I'll be generous and deduct only one point. (-1)

You, my friend, need to learn how the apostrophe is used for possessive situations. When you said "Dayglows last post" you obviously meant his last post, not many Dayglows. So it should have been "Dayglow's last post." (-1)
Again with the improper contractions. It's L.O.L. (-1)

What is formal about pwning, critisize, and alright? (-1)

You, my man, are 150% right. Nowhere in any post did I say your chosen profession was irrelevant. That's why we agree to disagree, and I can't argue that.

Nowhere in any post? You only made one post? I think not. (-1)

The conclusion:

You scored 3/10, so you failed. You're not as high and mighty as you may think. Stop being a hypocrite unless you want to embarrass yourself even more. I also agree that your signature is quite lame. You have to realize that sometimes members on here post with their cellular phones and those things are not quite as easy to type on as a computer keyboard (especially touch screen phones).

You deserve this for your effort though: :facepalm:

sevewone
09-20-2010, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541
can we get a ban here?

Awd-Tsi to? :)

Tram Common
09-20-2010, 03:38 AM
For fuck's sake Beyond. :facepalm:

What the fuck is wrong with you guys? How fucking hard is it to stay on topic?

Take your Internet tough guy shit to the PM's if you feel so inclined... I'm sick and tired of reading threads like this that turn into a fucking bitch fight over the stupidest shit. :whipped:

BACK ON-TOPIC

The CPS need a wake up call. It's no surprise to Calgarians that they are power and money hungry.

The guy may be a nut-case... but hey, if it brings the spotlight back on the CPS and forces them to step down off their power pedestal for even a month... it's worth it.

Scuderia
09-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by luxor
Okay so Scuderia wants to play grammar Police, let's play. I quoted you five times and will give you a grade out of 10 in total. Each post is out of two.

LMAO stands for "laugh my ass off." So in contraction form it should be written as l.m.a.o. (-1)

You spelled criticizing as "critisizing." (-1)

When you compare or list items in relation with each other, you don't use periods after each item or else that separates them. Furthermore, those three words cannot stand alone as independent clauses. The proper way to do it is in list form: Gratitude, Gratuity, and Gratifying. I'll be generous and deduct only one point. (-1)

You, my friend, need to learn how the apostrophe is used for possessive situations. When you said "Dayglows last post" you obviously meant his last post, not many Dayglows. So it should have been "Dayglow's last post." (-1)
Again with the improper contractions. It's L.O.L. (-1)

What is formal about pwning, critisize, and alright? (-1)

Nowhere in any post? You only made one post? I think not. (-1)

The conclusion:

You scored 3/10, so you failed. You're not as high and mighty as you may think. Stop being a hypocrite unless you want to embarrass yourself even more. I also agree that your signature is quite lame. You have to realize that sometimes members on here post with their cellular phones and those things are not quite as easy to type on as a computer keyboard (especially touch screen phones).

You deserve this for your effort though: :facepalm:

:thumbsup: Good job officer, atleast you'll have something to talk about when you and Dayglow are at the water cooler tomorow. You went to ALL that trouble and you still sound like an idiot because all those mistakes were either irrelevant, or purposely done. You want me to type out LMAO? Why? How is that even CLOSE to someone joining six other members and throwing a guy under the bus for shitty grammar and spelling, and then coming up with marvels like "gramer", "sentance", and "spellar"? You're a joke. If you have something to say, say it at the start of a thread, not when a bus of "known" members ass-rape someone for something stupid like spelling, and it's safe and clear for you to get some shots in. Like I said, we're all grown men, presumably, and I let it die a long time ago because the whole grammar police bullshit is gay. Back on topic.

ryder_23
09-20-2010, 05:14 PM
^

:rofl: back on topic.

Its a fucking CPS thread, they never stay on topic.

And if you really wanted to stay on topic, you wouldn't of made that entire post. Actually if you wanted to stay on topic, you wouldn't of posted in this thread to begin with.

Scuderia
09-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
^

:rofl: back on topic.

Its a fucking CPS thread, they never stay on topic.

And if you really wanted to stay on topic, you wouldn't of made that entire post. Actually if you wanted to stay on topic, you wouldn't of posted in this thread to begin with.

Lol that's the beauty of CPS threads. I tried to do the mature thing and let it go, but then the sheep found their way into the thread. But really though, back on topic:poosie:

JustGo
09-20-2010, 09:12 PM
I let it die a long time ago because the whole grammar police bullshit is gay.

For 'grammar police bullshit' being 'gay', you sure have a queer sig.

Just sayin'.

Pollywog
09-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Holy fuck...

Two days later I check this thread to see some updates, and it has gone from a simple to debate on an interesting topic to an absolute gong-show of ignorance. As well, the "grammar/spelling police" shit is getting truly annoying, not only because it wastes precious screen real-estate when trying to browse for meaningful posts, but also for the fact that users should get used to the fact that 90% of people on the internet are too lazy or ignorant to incorporate proper grammar or spelling into their posts online, regardless of their awareness to it or not. Get over it - I did.

Edit: I always see two sides to the story, so I must admit that thanks to grammar/spelling police in the past half-decade I've been on here that I have realized that 2-3 words I have used previously do not exist. It's still annoying though....
:devil:

luxor
09-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by JustGo

For 'grammar police bullshit' being 'gay', you sure have a queer sig.

Just sayin'.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Not surprising though coming from a guy who thinks < 24 hours ago was "a long time ago."