PDA

View Full Version : Official 2010/2011 Canucks Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Kloubek
09-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Well, once again and more than ever it looks like the Canucks are Canada's most likely team to win the cup.

You have Calgary, which has done little to improve and is relying on two faultering players to find their stride.

Edmonton who has great young prospects, but would be surprising to make the playoffs.

Ottawa and Montreal are both teams will skill, but are relying on superior goaltending which they may or may not get.

And Toronto is perpetually pathetic and this year is no different. Burke's attempt at building a tough team may or may not have succeeded, but there is little doubt that talent is few and far between.

Meanwhile, the Canucks have addressed what they believed to be the lesser points of their game.

While it would have been nice to get a known #1 guy on the back end, the addition of Hamhuis and Ballard make for a top pairing that should rank as good as any. While it is difficult to know exactly what will become of the Bieksa/Salo cap space issue, rest assured that Mike Gillis will not give Bieksa away for nothing. There are teams like the Ducks and Montreal who could really use the skill on their blueline and will pay to get it.

Continuing in the d corps, we have Edler and Erhoff - combining to create perhaps THE best 2nd pairing in the NHL. Finally, the bottom pair has options. Currently, it is likely to be Bieksa and O'Brien. But with a couple of prospects close to making the NHL and Salo's injury uncertain, the d has options and may be switched around. Either way you look at it, the d is probably the most talented in the NHL. I am, however, upset we got rid of Mitchell. While there is lots of scoring potential in the d-line, I hope players like Ballard are able to shut down the top opposing players.

While many felt Luongo had a poor season, that's not entirely true. While a gaa of 2.57 and save % of .913 is his worst showing since coming to Vancouver, it is still respectible for an NHL goalie. With a better defensive line and less late-game breakdowns, expect him to bounce back with numbers close to his personal bests. Which would be good - because ANY team needs to fire on all cylinders and Luongo only being "decent" is simply not enough to win a cup. Keep in mind that the Canucks want to showcase Schneider as well, which should help take the season load off Luongo and keep him fresh.

The Canucks top two lines were arguably the most prolific in last year. Career seasons all around, and second only to Washington in goals, if I'm not mistaken. Expect a performance close to or on par from these lines. They haven't been changed, and really didn't need to be either.

Perhaps the biggest area that has been upgraded is the bottom two lines. The complaint last season was that the 3rd line was not tough enough, and that the fourth line couldn't score at all. Probably true on both accounts. While somewhat unfortunate to lose names like Bernier and Wellwood, the Canucks have found much grittier talent for the third line in Malhotra and Torres. For the fourth line, they've added even more grit in Oreskovich, and someone who might actually score a few goals as opposed to the useless Hordichuk.

There are also wildcards in play. Hodgson (touted to be a poor man's Sydney Crosby) might have the ability to suit up for the big team this season. Brendan Morrison has a real chance to make the team, and would add an enormous two-way dimension to our lower lines. (Or, sit in the top two lines while Burrows is still out) There are a few other prospects which might surprise people in their NHL readiness - though I would not count on it.

All in all, I don't think I am out of line by suggesting this is the best Canucks team ever assembled. I'm totally stoked for this season, and truly think we have a shot at the cup.

http://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gif

VP CRX SiR
09-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Yah man, I hear yah. Im soooo stoked for this season. I even watched the Prospects games online just to see "Canucks" hockey. :)

- Im actually glad we got rid of Bernier and Wellfed, not to mention Demitra.
I hope Morrison makes it through camp and is a regular on the 3rd line.
Our D is great this year, Ehrhoff is the man, What a great pickup he was. I just hope we can get rid of Bieksa, worst Canuck I think.
Im a big fan of Cory Schneider. He has so much tallent, as he showed in that game against Dallas last year. He will make a great backup, maybe even pull a Chicago and make Lu ride the pine. Humble him a bit. I think the "Lu is saviour" from the Vancouver media and a lot of fans has gotten to his head a bit.
Lets get this season started!

Canucks3322
09-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Going to the Tuesday preseason game!!!...anyone know how exactly they're splitting the squads???

Will write more later....but I am HIGHLY disappointed they got rid of Wellwood, this is a guy who you want around in the playoffs....sure he does dick all during the regular season I mean, uhhhh...do we really need him to....????

Good job on Gillis or bolstering our defence, that and taking the pressure off Luu makes us even more of a contender this year...not to mention the dismantling of the Blackhawks, on paper now, we'll take the conference for sure.....but can we take out Washington haha!!

Hamhuis and Ballard are both shut down D men too which is what we need...Maholtra is an upgrade overall on Wellwood and the guy will play hard in front of a large, hometown, East Indian community....

Let's also hope Scheider starts rounding into NHL form...these days, seems like you need 2 decent goalies or a cup run.

Edler?...FUCK MAN...remember him in the playoffs before he got injured!? The guy is a MONSTER!!! Can't wait to see if he can do the same!

KESLER for captain for sure!! He has the heart...this will be the year he finally wins the Selke too!

Kloubek
10-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Missed your post Canucks3322.

Wellwood is really not that much unlike Morrison. Skilled, but lacking an overall package that makes him good for the top two lines, and not gritty enough for the bottom two. While he had his moments, and I miss him in the shootout, I am much happier we have Malhotra for the 3rd line centre.

Washington proved last year that awesome scoring ability isn't everything. I expect much of the same of them this year, since I don't believe they changed much. Not having a solid #1 goalie hurts them too.

I disagree you need two good goalies for a cup run, but during the season, for sure. I agree with you - I hope he comes into form... he has so much talent, but it just hasn't translated to the NHL level.

I also would have guaranteed you Henrik would get the "C" had I read this earlier. Sure enough, it was announced today.

As for tonight's game, I was overall disappointed. They seemed to have good effort, but they just aren't gellin yet. I'll give it time, and am not really concerned yet... just disappointed.

Raymond is gonna injury himself the way he throws himself at the puck! Torres looked confused out there much of the time. Not many players reallly stood out in my mind in this game. Lou played very well - shootout aside.

Canucks3322
10-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Great game last night! I think I'm most happy that Hamhuis, Ballard, and Maholtra proved their worth on that PK at the end and also Luuuuu for making the saves needed!.....sucks that my favorite player, Kes, had to draw that stupid penalty that led to the tying goal but he had some jump and some good chances to scored playing with Raymond and Torres......very entertaining game...can't wait to see the Kings kick the Flames' ass tonight.

rumeo
10-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Malhotra is too sick on the pk! Glad we got our first win, should have got it last game but oh well. Nucks offense needs to improve, too many empty net chances missed.

Kloubek
10-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Agree with both of you guys. The pk seems much improved, but offense needs to improve as well. We were the 2nd highest scoring team last season if I remember correctly, and the scoring talent has only increased this season. I'd give the players a month or two to develop chemistry and get back into the groove of things - after all, it IS still early, and the Canucks brought in many new players in the offseason.

Canucks3322
10-16-2010, 01:15 PM
2 words right now.....FUCKING BIEKSA....how much longer are the management staff going to let this guy fuck everything up??!?!??!

masoncgy
10-20-2010, 12:18 AM
c5LdnNz2gXo

Wow... way to go, Rick Rypien. :thumbsdow

Take out your aggression on Luongo next time, since he's the one who lost the game... again...

What a fucking douchebag.

Canucks3322
10-20-2010, 11:58 AM
He's done with the Canucks organization for sure.....meh, he was useless anyways besides the occasional good fist fight....

Sidenote....wow, with Ballard and Hamhuis out, we are fucked once again, esp. with Luongo in la la land.....

ndhal417
10-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Wow he even gave the captian a little shove.

Kloubek
10-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Lou played poorly last night, no doubt. But with 3 top-line defensemen out of the lineup, it didn't help matters any either. (As Canucks 3322 said)

I would not say the Ripper is *DONE* with the organization... there is no indication they want to drop him now. I think AV has a man-crush on him. But clearly, that is unacceptable behavior. That guy has rocks in his head.

Here's hoping tonight's game is more worthy of my time...

Quizzes
10-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I'd say 5 games for Rypien and 24 hours on waivers for shoving the captain.

jazzyb
10-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Rypien the epitome your 2010-2011 VannnnnCCCOoooouuuvvveeerrrr Canuckkkkss.

/endthread

C_Dave45
11-07-2010, 08:28 AM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2010020197&navid=sb:recap

Yay. 6 in a row. :D

Kloubek
11-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Good game against a very good Detroit team. The team is really clicking right now - great to see.

Still not convinced Lou is back to form though....

Tram Common
11-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Raffi Torres, who'da thunk? :dunno:

The Canucks have three solid scoring lines for the first time in a long time. If they continue playing this way they are going to be a hard team to beat.

Luongo does need to pull it together though... but I have faith.

rumeo
11-16-2010, 04:12 PM
First time in 4 tries Schneider has let more then 1 goal in, oh well, still a great goalie.

When I saw that turnover in OT I automatically thought Bieksa! LOL.

Canucks3322
11-17-2010, 05:52 PM
How bout Kesler coming in flying from the neutral zone on the back check, picking off the pass, and then flying into the net, head hitting the crossbar lol.....he should get Selke trophy this year for that play alone!
:thumbsup:

rumeo
11-21-2010, 01:11 AM
Hawks got spanked by Calgary so they spank us to get revenge. Spiteful bastards.

Canucks3322
11-21-2010, 12:12 PM
The Canucks just plain sucked last night, period. No excuses. The Hawks plain sucked ass the night before and made the Flames look good...that's all there is to it, it is what it is. Let's hope they wake the fuck up and have a bounce back game tonight against the Coyotes.

C_Dave45
11-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Yay. Back on track last night with a 4-2 win. Burrows and Sedins had a good night. LOL at the two Alberta teams solidly locking up the last two places.

C_Dave45
12-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Now THAT was a satisfying win over the Hawks!! PP and PK are amazing.

rumeo
12-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Kesler with his first career hat trick.

C_Dave45
12-24-2010, 11:19 AM
5 out of 6 points on this road trip. Nice. Canucks put on a clinic last night in Columbus. Second game in as many nights and they embarrassed the rested Blue Jackets. Sedin's combine for 7 points between themselves. Almost every one of Vancouver goals are amazing goals. Luongo played shitty. Two weak goals.

Amazing passing plays though

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2010020512&navid=sb:recap

Kloubek
12-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Blowout win (more or less) against one of the premier teams in the league.

It's a good time to be a Canucks fan! The entire team from top to bottom is playing exceptionally well. Hope we keep it up.

Canucks3322
12-29-2010, 12:24 AM
Kesler is showing why he should be Captain...

That being said, all four lines are rollin'!!! :thumbsup: Luongo is playing just good enough...I get this weird feeling that Schneider is gonna be a playoff story though, kind of like Halak or Boucher/Leighton last year....

We're doing well without Raymond and Salo and Biekshit has been playing way better as of late....so far so good *knock on wood*

Kloubek
12-31-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm sorry Canucks3322... but I'm surprised you call yourself a fan.

Sedin is perfectly fine as captain. Kesler might have been an equally good choice.

How can you put the words of "Schneider" and "playoff" together? The only way he will ever see any playoff action is if Lou BADLY pooches games in a row and we get desperate.

Biekshit? Now, I expect more from the guy as well, but being that hard on a player of the team you cheer for? Odd.

If Raymond can gel back in and play on the 2nd line, then Raymond Kesler Tambi would be one of (if not the) fastest lines in the league. That moves Samuelsson to a 3rd line, and puts even more offensive threat onto it.

Really puts our top 3 lines better than any other combo out there, in my opinion. I did expect more out of our 4th line, but I do like Glass.

http://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gif

I find it odd the game tonight is not televised on a network we can watch. It's New Year's - I don't want to spend it sitting in front of a computer.

rumeo
01-01-2011, 01:55 AM
2 points behind Detroit and Pittsburgh, BUT we have 2 games and 3 games in hand respectively. I really think we can be the best in the league!!!

masoncgy
01-01-2011, 02:15 AM
Man... I hate the Canucks... but daaammmn... they're lookin' real good!

Even I am starting to believe they could pull it off this year. lol.

Kloubek
01-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by rumeo
2 points behind Detroit and Pittsburgh, BUT we have 2 games and 3 games in hand respectively. I really think we can be the best in the league!!!

We are, actually. Based on win %, we are the only team in the league with an over 70% win ratio.

We also have the #1 pp, our pk is #5 I believe, our faceoff % is by far #1, our goals per game are 2nd (nearly first), and goals against are just barely 6th best. (Nearly 5th)

I am not sure how long this train is going to be running for, but I'm a happy passenger.

C_Dave45
01-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka

Canucks do suck.

I love looking through old Flames posts.. :rofl:

First place baby, yeah!!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Canucks1stplace.jpg

C_Dave45
01-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Just kind of perusing NHL news around the league and came across Rypiens ongoing "personal leave" status. It gets easy to hate opposing players, but when you get right down to it, most of these guys (NHL players) are really good guys. Sad to see some get caught up in whatever personal problems they go through. (Kennedy, Fleury, etc). Rypien comes from a small town....I sure hope things go well for him, but it doesn't look good. Guy is/was entertaining to watch.

Canucks3322
01-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Klou.....don't be delusional, Lu WILL shit the bed again he has proven time and time again that he is unrealiable, especially in the playoffs...

Biekshit has been a liability on the team for forever now, he makes 2-3 ridiculous turnovers a game.

Schneider has been the top AHL goalie for a few years now, he has shown flashes of brilliance in the games he's played so far, he is ready for vie for a number 1 goalie position in the league, I hope we don't trade him like many are suggesting he is being groomed for...

rumeo
01-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Klou.....don't be delusional, Lu WILL shit the bed again he has proven time and time again that he is unrealiable, especially in the playoffs...

Biekshit has been a liability on the team for forever now, he makes 2-3 ridiculous turnovers a game.

Schneider has been the top AHL goalie for a few years now, he has shown flashes of brilliance in the games he's played so far, he is ready for vie for a number 1 goalie position in the league, I hope we don't trade him like many are suggesting he is being groomed for...

Biek"shit" leads our team in +-. Useless stat but he must be doing well defensively.

Canucks3322
01-04-2011, 01:52 AM
^ he's been better as of late

PS.....I went to pick up my 2007 IS250 today and the salesman there at Silverhill Acura...is Ed Dyck, one of the original Canucks goalies from 1970!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kloubek
01-07-2011, 12:52 PM

I'm not going to say if Lou will shit the bed in the playoffs or not. It is entirely true - he has been "questionable" in the playoffs so far for sure. But it is *you* who is dillusional if you think AV will start the Ginger in net. Like I said, the only way he sees any playoff time is if Lou absolutely stinks it up for multiple games in a row.

I will agree with you on Schneider though - I think once he gets this year under his belt he'll be ready for a starting role... if he isn't already. While you might not want him to leave, there is no point in keeping a valuable asset like him with Lou being the #1. Next year there are going to be some moderate contracts to be signed, and we might end up losing a player or two. Having a tradable asset like Schneider might help us fill the empty spot(s).

I am not saying Bieksa isn't a liability... though in this 2nd quarter of the season he has been very much improved. I'm just saying that perhaps supporting the members of this team rather than calling them names (even if you don't like them) would probably go a long ways to demonstrating your team loyalty.

C_Dave45
01-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Schneider is in NO way even a starter, let alone a playoff goalie... yet. I love all the arm-chair quarterbacks and their predictions. It's so funny to hear people talking about Luongo "shitting" the bed. That's a pretty broad prediction. What exactly do you mean? That he'll have one a really bad game? That's hardly a prediction. Every goalie will. That he'll have a really bad series? Possibly. Lu has been in 3 Canuck playoff series. The first one, he maintained a 1.77 gaa. It was the team that didn't perform. The next one, he had one bad game. To lay the whole team's playoff demise because of one bad game by the goalie is naive. His record for that series was a respectable 2.52 gaa. And of course last year he had one bad game. Yes, it was an important game..and yes he really crapped the bed. But...that's only two games...TWO games out of 34 with a 2.52 gaa and a .917 save %. By the same token if the team had played with more depth, those two games wouldn't have been pivotal to their failure. I will admit Lu is not a GREAT goalie...but he's definitely playoff worthy and a very GOOD goalie. Just look at what Chicago was able to do with Niemi as their goalie.

I love George McPhee's line about fans' predictions and advice: "..if they knew anything about the game...they'd be in the game".

In the meantime, I'm enjoying their play. I enjoyed last years performance and looking forward to this years performance. I doubt they'll win the cup (that's pretty much a dice roll among the playoff contenders) but I'll enjoy watching them try.

VP CRX SiR
01-07-2011, 07:52 PM
*sigh* Were top in the league and your all sitting here arguing like were last. hahahahaha :dunno:

I was at the Philly game in Van over the Christmas break. Was such an awesome game. I hope tonights Edmonton game is a good back and forth one and not a snoozer like against the Flames. Go Canucks!

Canucks3322
01-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Dave and Klou....you're forgetting one big thing....he gets 10 MILLION dollars a year...I don't care what you guys say, he has not been there when it mattered. You mentioned the 2 bad games with the Blackhawks 2 years in a row...sorry, but a 10 million dollar goalie doesn't do that TWO years in a row, he didn't just have a "bad game"....he shit the bed EPICALLY.....let's not forget a year back before that he shit the bed against the Stars and was in la-la land when he let in the Stars goal that became the our season ender...you talk about being "playoff ready", what playoff ready goalie lets in soft goals and shit the bed in epic fashion, on top of that he was our Captain...

He gets the big bucks because he was expected to make God-like saves on a regular basis and lead us to a Stanley Cup, he has been neither. Armchair quarterback? Really...I'm just not delusional. He's a good goalie, yea...but Schneider is so far proving he is just as good...you don't think he's ready to be a starter? He's hasn't even lost a game this season and has been a much more solid goaltender overall, he's even shown flashes of brilliance, and he's been a top AHL goalie for the past 4-5 years...Luongo so far has been the same ol sometimes shaky goalie with one minor improvement this year, he's learned how to poke check a bit.....in some of the the games he's won so far he's faced like 15-20 shots....

On a positive note.....KESLER with his 2nd hat trick of the year!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

VP SiR.......one big change from last year I believe is that this year's team has the attitude that we won't settle and let off, they look to improve with every game....

Kloubek
01-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Umm... yeah... Lou's salary works out to less than 5.5 per.

Anyway, total blowout of Edmonton tonight. Nucks never let off the gas. Our top players certainly played like it, and the focus of Canucks3322's man-crush played exceptional.

Killed off all 7 penalties, and pp went 2/7. Very nice.

Canucks3322
01-07-2011, 11:49 PM
It's a 10 million cap hit at the beginning...that affects the makeup of the rest of the team, has it been worth it? I think even you will disagree. Alright I'm not gonna argue with you two old guys ....GO CANUCKS GO!:D

VP CRX SiR
01-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Its like a 10 or 11 million dollar hit to the owners bank account, but only a 5.5 million dollar hit to the cap. Sucks not getting the win against the redwings. Still havent lost in regulation though. :) Seems like they ran out of gas after 40 minutes, and man are we STILL rough in the shootout.

Kloubek
01-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Team has really taken a nosedive.

TWO losses in a row? Unacceptable!

Anyone sporting the panic button?

Kloubek
01-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Excellent win last night. I actually thought that at least for most of the game, Dallas played not that badly. At least, not as bad as a 7-1 score would indicate.

But at the end of the day, the Canucks won the battles and the Dallas goaltending was far from great. I don't think the Canucks played well enough for a 7-1 win, but hopefully it helps give them back some of their confidence... especially players who were (are) in a slump like Raymond and Samuellson.

Go Canucks!

Kloubek
01-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Edler is out for surgery to his back. He will be very much missed.

He is out indefinately - though what I've read online is that people generally recover in around 6-8 weeks from this. If all worked out perfectly, Salo would be almost ready to play now, and we get Edler back for the playoffs.

Kloubek
02-05-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm pretty much talking to myself here, but I'm still going to post... :)

As of last night's weird win over the Blackhawks:

1st in the league
.726 win percentage. Almost 3/4.
#3 in gfpg. .01 away from #2 Detroit.
#3 in gapg.
#2 pp at 24.5%.
#3 in pk
#1 in faceoffs

Lu is 4th in gaa, and very close to 2nd. The fact he started slow (as always) means his stats after the first couple of months have been even better. Schneider is also at the same gaa.

Daniel leads the league in scoring at 69 points. Henrik is 4th.

Salo scored 2 goals in the minors during the first game of his conditioning stint. He should be back soon.

Edler has successful surgery on his back. He should be ready around the start of the playoffs. I have a feeling AV will give him a conditioning stint as well if he is ready before the playoffs, so he can be in the lineup for the playoffs without the cap hit.

Defense will be:
Hamhuis Bieksa Ballard Edler Salo and Ehrhoff. Most teams have 3-4 top d-men at best. We have 6, and a pretty decent backup 7th in Alberts.

Things are looking good in Canucksland!

C_Dave45
02-05-2011, 10:36 AM
That was an amazing game last night!!! Wow. Great hits! Did you see that hipcheck? All the goals were good...(well except Chicago's off of the Van D-man).
Fast paced. Lu made some unbelievable saves. His glove was white hot last night.
That Hodgson is playing great too. Bieksa had a solid game as well.

Kloubek
02-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Yeah, that bounce off Tanev was unfortunate but the first Chicago goal that was disallowed was a little questionable so you win some, you lose some.

Hodgson is playing very well - especially considering he is on the 4th line. He's certainly not flashy... just smart with the puck more than anything.

Ballard is known for those checks - we need to see more of that from him - especially right now with his increased role without our top d-men.

As far as Bieksa goes - I will be the first to admit it... I've been disappointed with him since his 1st season, and even then he has always been a defensive liability. But this year he's more or less flipped a switch in that regard and is challenging for the top +/- in the league. Very impressed. Shame this is the last year of his contract....

atgilchrist
02-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Good to have Rome back, although I think Sweatt was impressive filling in for him recently.

The Depth of the team this year is crazy, and so much fun to watch!

C_Dave45
02-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Yeah, that bounce off Tanev was unfortunate but the first Chicago goal that was disallowed was a little questionable so you win some, you lose some.

Yeah, Hawks got robbed on that one. I think that was a fair goal.

As far as Bieksa goes - I will be the first to admit it... I've been disappointed with him since his 1st season, and even then he has always been a defensive liability. But this year he's more or less flipped a switch in that regard and is challenging for the top +/- in the league. Very impressed. Shame this is the last year of his contract....

6th overall in plus/minus!! Very solid D man. And I can't believe how Kessler has controlled his temper! WOW what a difference it makes. Even after getting a stick in the balls from Turco...he was cool-headed.

rumeo
02-11-2011, 06:20 PM
So Edler is out for surgery, Ballard is out for 3-4 weeks, now Hamhuis is out indefinitely with a consussion. Omg. Who are we gonna trade for?

Kloubek
02-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Honestly, I don't think Gillis will trade for anyone at all. While it puts a strain on our defensive depth right now (and as such, I would be surprised if we will continue to enjoy quite the same success until they are back), the blueline looks like it will be exceptionally strong for the playoffs - and that is the main thing.

In the meantime, Salo should be back against the Flames this weekend, and Tanev will be playing - who's been quite solid in relief. Yes the D is depleted, but still looks no less than average compared to most teams, imo.

We'll be fine.

Freeskier
02-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Kloubek, do you think Salo will be able to stay healthy for the rest of the season?

Kloubek
02-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Hard to say. As you know, its anyone's guess. But if he at least carries us through to the playoffs I will be happy enough. If he is back to form and healthy through the playoffs, I will be absolutely thrilled.

Ok guys - get this. As of tonight:

Canucks point percentage: #1
Goals for pg: #1
Goals against pg: #1
Power play %: #1
Faceoffs: #1

The only real stat we are not #1 in is penalty kill, but we're in solid 4th place, and 2nd is not far away at all. (1st is a ways away - Pittsburgh is very good at the kill)

http://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/nucks.gif

Canucks3322
02-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Alberts injured again ANND Salo injured AGAIN ALREADDDY WTF?!?!??!!!!!

rumeo
02-14-2011, 11:50 PM
really? why is it we always lose to st louis?

AaronK
02-15-2011, 12:02 AM
LOL Salo the Glass Man...... :goflames:

rumeo
02-15-2011, 01:01 AM
proof that salo is out?

Kloubek
02-16-2011, 04:02 PM
I believe Salo was hurt, but is not out.

Canucks3322
02-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Yea he's okay....how bout Bieksa goin down last game lol...I wonder if MG will make a move for a defenceman?

rumeo
02-16-2011, 11:56 PM
I keep hearing they won't. Alberts had surgery, gone 6-8 weeks.

Kloubek
02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
I cannot believe the bad luck we're having on the blueline this year. It is the worst I have ever seen - and we've had our share of issues in the past!

Now, Bieksa is out for 3 weeks (unconfirmed) with a fractured foot.

Let's tally up the salary figures, shall we?

Edler 3.25
Bieksa 3.5
Ballard 4.2
Hamhuis 4.5
Alberts 1

That's well over 16 million dollars worth of quality defensemen who are unable to play right now. If Salo wasn't fast-tracked back into the lineup, it would be around 20 million - or over 1/3 of the entire cap.

So who's left for the top line? Ehrhoff and a rusty/recovering Salo. Yay. The other four spots are filled with our 7th defenseman, and a bunch of plug AHL'ers.

Absolutely brutal. I was excited to see how dominant our stats were going to be by the end of the regular season, but with almost the entire starting lineup of defensemen out of the picture - it is going to be an uphill battle for a few weeks.

And after all this, I would still be surprised if we make a move for a defenseman - unless one of the regulars are not expected to return for the playoffs. If that is the case, then I suppose it is possible. But even if the Canucks need to play with an AHL blueline for now, it *should* look alright by playoff time if everything works out.

npham
02-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Good thing we have a 15 point cushion over the Flames right now. Even if we tank the rest of the season, we should still end up 3rd if everything fails. Just need our goalie tandem to play great, and rely on full out offence to win games.

dharminder
02-17-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't see any trades coming to help with the ailing defence because there is pretty much zero cap space available.

Hamhuis & Ballard are on IR and this only frees up a roster spot but no money.

Edler & Alberts were placed on LTIR, but what Edler was making is pretty much given to Salo. And Alberts is only making million so not much money coming from there.

Bieksa if placed on LTIR will give the Canucks some cap relief but once again not that much, considering all the call ups are making league minimum of about 800k.

Only way we get defensemen back is if we trade a forward and I don't see that happening so for the time being we are stuck with our AHL guys.

Bright side if there is one, Hamhuis has started light workout and could be back (knock on wood) by next week.
Ballard also is about a week head of schedule and has started some skating.

npham
02-28-2011, 03:19 PM
MG is making me a believer, he didn't give up much, but we just addressed our "major" weakness with Higgins(if he gets healthy) and Lapierre.

If the Canucks can get healthy, top to bottom, we will be a force in the playoffs with a gritty and tough 3rd and 4th line.

Kloubek
02-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Both are a bit of a wild card. Higgins, when healthy, has been a very effective player at times, and not effective at others. If he can find a way to fit into the team dynamic and get some chemistry, it would be a great aquisition.

Lapierre is expected to do only what Lapierre has always done - hit and grind out his shift. I'm fully sure he is capable of doing exactly that... but hopefully AV can keep him from taking dumb penalties, and get him to buy into our system.

Let's not forget about MacGregor Sharp! lol. The guy will likely not go anywhere -but he was Raymond's right hand man in the minors so perhaps a miracle might happen and he might reach his potential.

Overall, pretty happy with these moves. Not what I expected or originally wanted, but they *do* improve the team, and we aquired the players for almost nothing.

Canucks3322
02-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Yea the Sharp acquisition might prove to be a genius move by MG if it proves to spark Raymond...glad to see he didn't move Schneider...I stand by my prediction that we WILL need him in the playoffs to step in and step up.

C_Dave45
02-28-2011, 09:53 PM
...I stand by my prediction that we WILL need him in the playoffs to step in and step up.

Will that be as accurate as your prediction of what a lousy D-man Bieksa is, when he currently leads the NHL overall in plus/minus?

Canucks3322
02-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Oh you got me good on that one :rolleyes:

Kloubek
03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
He did, actually. As much as I was hesitant towards Bieksa myself, he has retooled his game to be a very strong defenseman for us this year. Amazing what happens when a contract is up for renewal...

I am very happy with the moves Gillis made this deadline. It turns our 4th line into what it should have been, and needed to be for a long playoff run. It also gives us an option in Higgins we can potentially utilize if Raymond can't find his game soon.

As far as sharp goes, I like the aquisition, but am doubtful it will do much. While I'm sure Raymond is happy we got him, the fact is that despite this recent major slump Raymond is in, I doubt he will ever have the opportunity to play with Sharp. They are on two entirely different levels.

Now, just to play devils advocate, say we did put Higgins up on the 2nd, and dropped Raymond to the 4th. We could move Lapierre to the wing and bring up Sharp to centre the 4th. That puts Glass as the odd man out, unfortunately... since I like him on the 4th. It also brings the toughness of the 4th WAY down. But it gives AV an option at least.

I, for one, have greater anticipation for these playoffs than I ever have in my nearly 20 years of being a fan.

I mean, look at this lineup:

Forwards:
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Samuelsson
Torres Malhotra Hansen
Higgins Lapierre Glass

Backups: Tambellini, Oreskovich, Volpatti

Defense:
Edler Ehrhoff
Bieksa Hamhuis
Ballard Salo

Backups: Alberts, Sweatt

Luongo
Schneider

As of today, we are 1st in points overall. (Not quite point %) 2nd in goals for, 1st in goals against, 1st in pp, 3rd in pk, and 1st in faceoffs. And that is even after a 5-5 recent record, major defensive injuries, and before we got our 4th line bolstered.

Assuming this team fires on all cylinders during the playoffs, I truly think they are the favorite. Not to say there aren't other excellent teams out there that will be tough to beat, like Philly, Boston, and Detroit.

Kloubek
03-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Well, with Philly letting off the gas even more than the Canucks are, we are now firmly back in #1 spot. Still, most of our stats have suffered.

#1 in point % still - by a fair margin.
#3 in goals per game. Close to 4th.
#1 in goals against per game.
#2 in power play - almost #1.
Penalty killing has *improved* to #2, and is only .1% away from #1.
And of course, faceoffs remain at #1.

Still pretty spectacular though - especially considering our two 2 d-men are out, and we just went a whole month playing .500 hockey.

Tram Common
03-11-2011, 12:21 AM
That was likely the best game I've seen all season.

Kloubek
03-11-2011, 12:22 AM
The Nucks certainly didn't dominate like we're used to seeing most of the season... but it was wildly entertaining. Nice to see the ginger stop all shots in the shootout...

bmeier
03-11-2011, 12:26 AM
The Nucks certainly didn't dominate like we're used to seeing most of the season... but it was wildly entertaining. Nice to see the ginger stop all shots in the shootout...

they have been playing .500 hockey the last 2 months?

C_Dave45
03-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Not a bad road trip though, eh? :thumbsup:

Great game on Saturday. Just a little tease for the first 5 minutes. ;)

Kloubek
03-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by bmeier

they have been playing .500 hockey the last 2 months?

ok... first of all, they played .500 hockey for not even ONE month.

Secondly, I said "most of the season". Which means exactly that... "most of the season".

Thirdly, when I posted that, they had won 4 straight. Now five.

Thanks for your contribution.

C_Dave45
03-14-2011, 03:58 PM
:rofl:

WF7Vjz6gdeI

Kloubek
03-14-2011, 04:06 PM
^lol. Watched that today. Seems there is a lot more good humor going around the dressing room this year.

Edit: First to the 100 point club as of last night. Granted, they've played more games, but we're well ahead of everyone else. Kinda crazy, really...

Kloubek
03-16-2011, 10:40 PM
.....aaaaaand that's a guaranteed playoff spot...

(And division title)

Edit: Unfortunately, Malhotra is now injured without any idea when he will be back yet. (Had to get eye surgery). Having him out of the lineup for a lengthly amount of time would be a considerable loss.

Tram Common
03-16-2011, 11:46 PM
.....aaaaaand that's a guaranteed playoff spot...

(And division title)

:clap: :clap:

See you soon Flames? :dunno:

Kloubek
03-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Doesn't look likely that we'll be seeing the Flames. But here's hopin!

Current team stats:
Goals for: #1
Goals against: #1
Power play: #1
Penalty Kill: #2
Faceoffs: #1
Win %: #1

Individual stats:
Goals: Daniel # 3 Kesler #4
Assists: Henrik #1 Daniel #3
+/-: Hamhuis #3, Bieksa #6 and Daniel #7

Goalies:
Save %: Tied for #3 (for goalies playing more than 21 games)
GAA: Tied for #3 (for goalies playing more than 21 games)

Note: Schneider has almost identical stats, but has only played 21 games.

Malhotra update:
Out for season AND playoffs. :cry:

rumeo
03-21-2011, 09:45 PM
I am very depressed Malhotra is done for the season/playoffs. Hopefully under some miracle he comes back in the play offs.

Tram Common
03-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Boo-Fucking-Ya! http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s99/Hornet57/towel.gif

Canucks3322
03-31-2011, 10:36 PM
PRESIDENT'S TROPHY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kloubek
03-31-2011, 10:49 PM
edit: What the hell was I just responding to? I could swear there was a different last post. Canucks3322: Did you just ninja-edit an anti-Luongo post?

Anyway, Mr. President: Meet the Canucks.

#1!!!!

Freeskier
03-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Haha I just spent 5 minutes reading back through the thread trying to find what you were answering lol! Congrats Canucks on a legendary season.

dawwgy
04-01-2011, 09:17 AM
now off to the playoffs! where they always seem to do well!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

m10-power
04-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Really hoping the Ducks finish 8th, but if not and the cuntucks make it past the first round they are going to get owned by the ducks. Can't wait to watch that series. Canucks are not a good playoff team, gonna be fun watching them loose.

:poosie:

C_Dave45
04-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by m10-power
Really hoping the Ducks finish 8th, but if not and the cuntucks make it past the first round they are going to get owned by the ducks. Can't wait to watch that series. Canucks are not a good playoff team, gonna be fun watching them loose.

:poosie:

quoted for later gloating.

m10-power
04-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Awesome watching the oilers destroy the might nucks lol

Kloubek
04-02-2011, 10:33 PM
I guess every team should be allowed to take one or two nights off in a season. Tonight was the Canucks' turn I suppose...

S13_Ryan
04-02-2011, 10:35 PM
hahah. not the first time we've seen the canucks choke. Won't be the last:rofl:

:goflames:

Canucks3322
04-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by S13_Ryan

Are you retarded? It's called taking it easy and being more worried about not injuring yourselves going into the playoffs, not "choking":rolleyes:

C_Dave45
04-03-2011, 02:15 AM

DAMMIT!!!! Such an important game for them too!! This team sucks. Trade them all. :rolleyes:

:rofl:

GTS4tw
04-03-2011, 06:28 AM

+1, watch for the bandwagon to get lighter and lighter as the typical Canucks postseason takes shape. Oh well, Im gonna make some good money betting against them this year.

Canucks3322
04-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

+1, watch for the bandwagon to get lighter and lighter as the typical Canucks postseason takes shape. Oh well, Im gonna make some good money betting against them this year.

Will you be watching the Nucks games on the legendary Red Mile? *cough* *cough* circa 2004, the biggest bandwagon in the history of the NHL.

S13_Ryan
04-03-2011, 12:50 PM
i dont believe calgary fans went on a rampage hopping off the wagon and destroying there city like the canucks fans in 94':rolleyes:

Freeskier
04-03-2011, 12:54 PM
^ Yeah but people didn't bail off it when they lost.

If the canucks string a couple losses in a row it seems like the whole city runs screaming for the panic button. Obviously not the real fans, but most of the people who get the score from highlights or whatever. It's unreal.

max_boost
04-03-2011, 04:16 PM
LOL

I would just sit out all your guys and let them rest. Who cares. You won 50 game, best record in the league etc.

BTW, which team are you guys most fearful of in round 1? :D