PDA

View Full Version : How does the Infiniti FX35 handle in winter?

NRGie
09-19-2010, 01:21 AM
Looking at picking up a 2006 Infiniti Fx35 2wd, but was wondering how it is in winter? Anyone have any first hand experience on how it handles and if the traction control is any good?

Thanks

Pollywog
09-19-2010, 01:41 AM
I can't necessarily comment on the FX personally, but my G35's traction control system was unbelievably annoying. From a stand-still on an icy road everyone will be miles ahead of you before you are even moving. Despite Jeremy Clarkson's issues with the Mercedes traction control system, I personally find my Benz's TC much more usable during the winter than Infiniti's. The FX series are highly-rated vehicles though, and any RWD can be a bit of a pain in the winter, regardless of the type of traction control.

Edit: Without completely intending to change your mind, I would highly recommend an Lexus RX as an alternative.

NRGie
09-19-2010, 01:57 AM
I read that the Infiniti fx35 will be awd when accelerating and when you lose traction, i was wondering how this worked?

Pollywog
09-19-2010, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by NRGie
I read that the Infiniti fx35 will be awd when accelerating and when you lose traction, i was wondering how this worked?

That is only if you obtain an AWD model. They came with either a RWD or an AWD platform, and the feature you note above would not be applicable for the RWD models.

That.Guy.S30
09-19-2010, 10:27 AM
It works fine, just get some winters. you should get the 4wd model if u can.

dj_rice
09-19-2010, 11:41 AM
If your getting a RWD FX35 then I assume your getting a US model. Even my Pathfinder with 4WD doesn't conquer on in winter on snow. 4WD just helps you get going and accelerate from start faster, 4WD does nothing for braking. So yes get winter tires

NRGie
09-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

That is only if you obtain an AWD model. They came with either a RWD or an AWD platform, and the feature you note above would not be applicable for the RWD models.

The salesman said that the car is usually RWD but when you accelerate and lose traction the 4WD kicks in. So is this the 4wd model or RWD model? I thought if it was 4WD it would be on all the time, not just hen you need it

THanks

del-lude
09-19-2010, 12:27 PM
If it's a canadian model, it should be AWD. I had a 04 FX35 with blizzaks in winter and it handled very well . There is also a snow button in it that you can push that will lock the 4WD mode and was very good for the really snowy days.

Pollywog
09-19-2010, 12:31 PM

The salesman said that the car is usually RWD but when you accelerate and lose traction the 4WD kicks in. So is this the 4wd model or RWD model? I thought if it was 4WD it would be on all the time, not just hen you need it

THanks

I don't know why you are having such an issue comprehending this...If it is a RWD model, there is no possible way that it will automatically start driving the front wheels when the rear lose traction - because this would make it AWD. The AWD models have a rear drive bias and depending on rear traction it will transfer more power to the front wheels.
So if the saleman describing your intended model for purchase says the front wheels will get more power dependant on rear traction, it obviously is an AWD model. As well, the RWD may only be available in the states as the AWD drivetrain is in the standard package on the newest ones.

NRGie
09-19-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't know, the salesman said this is considered a rwd truck and that it's in rwd mode most of the time. So I was wondering how it would handle in the snow because of this since it's not a full time awd vehicle

Thanks

Pahnda
09-19-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't know, the salesman said this is considered a rwd truck and that it's in rwd mode most of the time. So I was wondering how it would handle in the snow because of this since it's not a full time awd vehicle

Thanks

I think you don't understand what a full time AWD vehicle is. And it's a bigger problem when the salesmen are idiots and have no clue what they're talking about, which this guy may not. A good thing to do is ask them questions you've researched and KNOW the answers to and see what they say. If they say they don't know or can answer it, I would deal with them. If they BS you with no indication of the fact they don't know, then it's time to leave the dealership or at least switch salespeople.

But pretty much, to the marketing guys in most automotive companies consider a 'full time AWD' system an AWD system that is 'on' all the time and doesn't require user intervention. Pretty generic and likely the context salespeople use it in.

And that's what the FX35 AWD system is. It just doesn't transfer power until you're slipping. If you're in perfect conditions and not slipping, it'll push all the power out the back wheels (correct me if I'm wrong there, not sure if they just have a heavy rear bias) and is probably where the salesguy is coming up with his 'RWD mode' garbage.

In short, marketing people are often fools.
Salespeople often have no clue what they're talking about. There is no 'RWD mode' and you're in AWD all the time if you have an AWD FX.
The ATTESA (Infiniti/Nissan's name for their AWD system setups) system in the FX sends power where it determines you need it when slipping, otherwise it feels like a RWD vehicle.

dj_rice
09-19-2010, 02:05 PM
RWD FX's were only offered in the USA, so if your not sure, get them to check the VIN to determine. Otherwise its a AWD FX35

revelations
09-19-2010, 02:42 PM
In the severest winter weather, your 3 main parts of driving (stop, start, turn) will be most affected by the choice of tires, and not how many wheels are driven.

For instance, AWD generally wont help when youve overcooked an off/onramp and are heading into the ditch - unless you have the option of powering out.

Accord_tunerx
09-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
RWD FX's were only offered in the USA, so if your not sure, get them to check the VIN to determine. Otherwise its a AWD FX35

This is true...RWD is only offered in the states!
i have a 06 fx45 its awd all the time.

ATTESA E-TS™ (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split) AWD system
Snow-Mode function (shifts throttle input algorithm in low-speed slippery road conditions once activated by driver for enhanced traction)

but i believe the 03-04 there were no snow button, someone correct me if i am wrong.

friedn00dles
09-20-2010, 09:24 AM

Thanks

hahah wow....

msommers
09-20-2010, 10:06 AM
I thought active/full-time AWD was a system like Subaru's where all four wheels are equally engaged (with some bias I'm sure), in contrast to a passive/on-demand AWD system that engages the non-primary axle for added traction (eg. FWD normally, engages rear when encountering slip and visa-versa).

CLiVE
09-20-2010, 12:30 PM
My neighbor has a FX35, and got stuck several times last winter in the deep snow around our houses. (with winter tires).

I used my Explorer to pull him out. Even my BMW 325XIT seemed to have an easier time. :dunno:

That.Guy.S30
09-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I thought active/full-time AWD was a system like Subaru's where all four wheels are equally engaged (with some bias I'm sure), in contrast to a passive/on-demand AWD system that engages the non-primary axle for added traction (eg. FWD normally, engages rear when encountering slip and visa-versa).

kinda, not really. What Subaru offers is a symmetrical AWD (although it can be just a gimmick). 50/50.
most full-time 4WD systems have a bias. Rear or front, depends on the car.

soloracer
09-20-2010, 10:02 PM
My boss had one and it was terrible in the winter. He said that it was probably due to the lack of suitable tires available for the car.

Aleks
09-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Any SUV that comes with low pro 18+" summer or A/S tires wouldn't be that great in snow and ice.

needsawhip
09-20-2010, 11:37 PM
My Infiniti was dog chit in winter even with winter tires it was sub par, When the weather got really bad we would drive my gfs integra with all seasons which was a tank compared to the g35. And saying the TCS is annoying is a HUGE understatment even when you take TC off its never really off.