PDA

View Full Version : So wedding photographers...

Clever
09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I was invited to my friend's sisters' wedding, and a few nights ago we were out having beers with the couple and the bride mentioned she needed someone to take pictures of the guests at the wedding and the reception, she has a photographer, but not a second shooter. They asked me if I can do it for them and I agreed, I told them that as long as this is okay with their photographer and that I have never taken wedding pics before. They said that she's (the photographer) pretty laid back and wouldn't mind as long as I don't take pics when she's doing her "posed" shots.

My question is what is the etiquette between the "pro" and someone casual like myself? I do not want to be that jerk off that gets in the way of the person getting paid to take pics, but I would also like to be able to take great pictures for the couple on their wedding day. Should I speak to the photographer before hand and mention to her what the couple ask me to do? Or should I leave that to the couple to mention it to her? Tips, feedback, advice? Thanks.

88jbody
09-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Clever
I do not want to be that jerk off that gets in the way of the person getting paid to take pics,

well I think that is the most important thing there,
not to interfere with the one who is getting paid for the pictures. though I am not a wedding photographer by any stretch.

EvolizePhoto
09-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Could you tell me who the female is that is taking the photos? I've had a VERY bad experience with a local lady and i will do everything in my power to ensure she does not give clients anymore SHIT photos.

quazimoto
09-19-2010, 03:14 PM
You could do that until your blue in the face and get no where. There are many many many scam photographers out there that provide crap to brides all year long and nothing is ever done about it. People just figure it's easy money.

I myself never have a problem if other people want to take photos. HOWEVER if you are attempting to take any photos during the ceremony you had better get everything clear. A photographer's life is made easy knowing we dont have to worry about somebody popping in our way.

At the reception it's a free for all quite honestly. Lots of people with cameras will want to take photos of everything and there's no reason you can't do the same. Most photographers will make sure they get the spot they want and often nobody will get in the way and if they do the photographer should be vocal about that.

I've never once encountered a situation where somebody has gotten in my way.

I would just talk to the photographer before hand to let them know the bride wants you to take some photos but you'll stay out of the way as best you can. I really can't see any photographer having a major issue with this.

EvolizePhoto
09-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Why don't you setup a photo booth. It's what I do if I need a few quick bucks and the bride/groom and guests eat it up like cake. Setup a few lights with a backdrop in the coat check or along a wall, bring a few props with you and snap photos of them. It really doesn't get any easier. Once the reception and all that is done and people have started drinking it gets REAL fun

EvolizePhoto
09-19-2010, 03:20 PM
And quazi, this woman basically stole from me, as well owes me money for services rendered and I won't sit idly by

quazimoto
09-19-2010, 03:27 PM
It's a lost cause trust me. You'll spend more time and money than it's worth trying to get anything back. Not to mention if you start slandering her name most photograher's won't take it so kindly.

Clever
09-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by quazimoto

I would just talk to the photographer before hand to let them know the bride wants you to take some photos but you'll stay out of the way as best you can. I really can't see any photographer having a major issue with this.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Originally posted by EvolizePhoto
Why don't you setup a photo booth. It's what I do if I need a few quick bucks and the bride/groom and guests eat it up like cake. Setup a few lights with a backdrop in the coat check or along a wall, bring a few props with you and snap photos of them. It really doesn't get any easier. Once the reception and all that is done and people have started drinking it gets REAL fun

I'll pm you the name of the photographer Evolize, maybe you do know her. As for the photo booth idea, that sounds really good but I am just a newb, no other gear but my camera and a few lenses and flash, the bride has a 50D that she wants to to shoot with that day so at least I'll have a second body, and I will not be charging for the pics I take, if anything I was hoping to maybe "watch diligently" and learn from the photographer shooting the wedding.

R-Audi
09-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by quazimoto
There are many many many scam photographers out there that provide crap to brides all year long and nothing is ever done about it. People just figure it's easy money.

Quoted for the Truth.
My life would have been a whole lot easier If I didnt end up with a person as described above.

AccentAE86
09-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Just make sure the bride makes it clear to all parties of what everyone is supposed to shoot/capture. One bride asked me if it was ok if their friend brought their camera and took pictures of people at the reception. So of course I said yes.

This guy shows up with a huge setup, backdrops, studio lighting, softboxes, the whole meal deal and made people sign in right when they got to the reception so that he could take their picture and contact them to sell them prints. LOL. Like seriously WTF? :rolleyes: Whatever, I didn't care and it didn't get in my way, but I'm sure 99% of pro photogs would get PISSED that some other photographer was blatantly trying to profit off your contracted wedding.

So just make sure everyone knows what everyone is doing, without ambiguity.

quazimoto
09-20-2010, 11:25 AM
I'd seriously laugh at anybody trying to do any kind of setup like that. Most people don't go to weddings to spend boat loads of money unless it's on booze and gifts for the couple lol. That would have been quite interesting to see I think. Never had that happen before. Worst I've had was many many many asian family members crowding around me during family formals. So much so there was way too many flashes going off at the same time.

People will always listen to the photographer though :)

blitz
09-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Why not setup a beer tent and undercut the cash bar prices by 25%?

Sounds like you've got the right idea. Be respectful, don't get in the way, and don't try to profit from it.

EvolizePhoto
09-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Quoted for the Truth.
My life would have been a whole lot easier If I didnt end up with a person as described above. When are we shooting your audi?

EvolizePhoto
09-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by AccentAE86
Just make sure the bride makes it clear to all parties of what everyone is supposed to shoot/capture. One bride asked me if it was ok if their friend brought their camera and took pictures of people at the reception. So of course I said yes.

This guy shows up with a huge setup, backdrops, studio lighting, softboxes, the whole meal deal and made people sign in right when they got to the reception so that he could take their picture and contact them to sell them prints. LOL. Like seriously WTF? :rolleyes: Whatever, I didn't care and it didn't get in my way, but I'm sure 99% of pro photogs would get PISSED that some other photographer was blatantly trying to profit off your contracted wedding.

So just make sure everyone knows what everyone is doing, without ambiguity. Thats exactly what I did however.....

People came and went as they pleased.
They only knew my name.
I did not pass out business cards.
I did not take names, nor did I try to sell any product or service while I was there.

Bride hired me to take photos of the drunk guests, that's what I came and did. The photog of the wedding even came and talked to me at my last one and praised me for being so professional and staying within boundaries without interfering with his job. Gave me his card and offered me a few weddings in december to second/backup shoot for.

quazimoto
09-20-2010, 11:54 PM
You must meet some rather insanely crazy photographers. I dont know many that would offer somebody they don't know and don't know their credentials a job that could easily hurt their business reputation. Ironically I don't hand out cards at receptions either unless somebody asks me for it. I just dont see the point to the type that like to leave a lot of business cards on tables for some reason.

I'm more curious about this statement with some photographer having that many weddings in December when the winter weddings really aren't that common. Even back when I used to do bridal shows they weren't overly common. I think that's why i started working in Hawaii in the winter months anyways. Something about -40 weather and hearing lenses make god awful sounds.

In any even capturing fun drunk people at a wedding is all about watching what people do when they dance. Not so much the staged stuff. Candid moments are something that can be rivaled by anything in my opinion. The best advice I can give is to just stay clear and out of the way. Also if you are doing ceremony shots and it's happening inside a church you might wanna check with the minister/priest/etc that they won't mind more than one person roaming around taking photos. There are more than a few churches that hate anything more than 1 person taking photos.