PDA

View Full Version : Goodlife Fitness in Beacon Hill

nagooro
09-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Now that it has been open for a bit, for those of you with memberships, what do you guys think of it?
I am considering leaving my current gym (ymca), and switching to goodlife.

I do plan on getting a few free passes to check it out.

Thanks

B69
09-21-2010, 11:23 AM
The best part about it is that it's CLEAN. the setup isnt too bad and the machines are defiantly unique. At peak times the free weight area is brutal due to its poor design and lack of benches. Another downside is that its more of a weight loss gym so motivation from members is lacking. I would say its one of the better gyms in the NW but still not great.

Overall i say its worth a shot if you're looking switch.

pm me if you have any questions, ive been there sense it opened.

GQBalla
09-21-2010, 12:17 PM
thinking about going there from golds

been to every golds in calgary other than mackenzie.

place is REALLY clean.

the washrooms/locker rooms are huge

water fountains fill up bottles with ice cold water fast.

nagooro
09-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by B69
The best part about it is that it's CLEAN. the setup isnt too bad and the machines are defiantly unique. At peak times the free weight area is brutal due to its poor design and lack of benches. Another downside is that its more of a weight loss gym so motivation from members is lacking. I would say its one of the better gyms in the NW but still not great.

Overall i say its worth a shot if you're looking switch.

pm me if you have any questions, ive been there sense it opened.
When are the peak times? I'd like to check it out during a peak hour to see how busy it gets.
Going to go check it out tonight and get a few free passes.

Also, how much are you guys paying? and how long of a contract are you on?
Right now there promotion is $1 enrollment fee, but on a 2 year contract. Think its possible to talk to them and get a 1 year contract?

ApexDrift
09-22-2010, 01:54 PM
2 year contract and its $44 a month after a year it goes to $40 a month... much better then the WHC $70 a month, if you think your going to be working out for 2 yrs, i think its worth it...

rx7boi
09-22-2010, 02:15 PM
I go there a lot. Peak times are generally 7-9pm when there's a lot of guys on the weight floor.

There is plenty of room for cardio machines so there's never a lack of treadmills and elip machines.

If you went around 10pm then it starts dying down, but as another member said the benches are lacking a little bit since there's only about 2 or 3 adjustable flat benches.

It's geared more towards people that are trying to live a healthier lifestyle as opposed to bodybuilding, so i think they need more in-between weights for more adjustability.

nagooro
09-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Ended up going again today from ~6pm-8pm. Didn't seem to get overly busy for the time I was there. Started filling out the paperwork to get a membership, but couldn't get some of my debit account information so going back tomorrow morning to finish the up the rest of the papers.

Me and my cousin are both signing up, he was able to get his debit information, so he fully completed filling out the membership form. For myself, I filled out most of the same form he did (left out the info for the banking/payments), but the girl working there also gave me another form to sign, it was titled like "Cancellations and changes" or something similar to it.

Do you know why she would want me to sign that one, but didnt ask my cousin to?

I should have questioned it when she gave it to me, but didnt, so I will ask her about it when I go tomorrow.

edit: did they let you guys put payments on your credit card? Or did you have to use a debit account.

ApexDrift
09-23-2010, 07:55 AM
it has to be debit, i asked them why and they said they have to many people not paying the CC and they get burned :dunno:

bubbley
09-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Can someone compare this Good Life gym location to WHC Edgemont, thinking of switching over, thanks.

94CoRd
09-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by bubbley
Can someone compare this Good Life gym location to WHC Edgemont, thinking of switching over, thanks.

I am in the exact same boat.

Paying the $70 a month is starting to get a little tiring. Although the new change rooms at WHC Edgemont are pretty sweet.

nagooro
09-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Just went back to finish up the paperwork for a membership.
2 year term, 22+gst biweekly, waved the enrollment fee.

Was at crowfoot YMCA previous to this. Never been to WHC so I cant really compare the two. I would just check it out, you can get 3 free passes online.

Main factors why I switched:
-24 hours (weekdays)
-brand new equipment, and lots of it, lots of different/unique machines
-locker room is fairly large, lockers are sort of like small "closets", has a coat rack + hanger, and 2 coat hooks.
-also a sauna in the locker room
-have yet to see the place overly busy, at peak hours the place still seems pretty vacant

So far the only downside is no complimentary towel service. I think its a $2-3 additional fee to your monthly payments.

bubbley
09-23-2010, 11:47 AM
I just found out weekends aren't 24 hours, that sucks

ApexDrift
09-23-2010, 02:10 PM
i was at WHC edgemont for 9 years and im glad i made the jump...

pros
1. new equipment
2. cleaner environment
3. MORE PARKING!
4. $44 to $70... $26 in savings
5. more girls
6. huge locker rooms and lockers
7. working security cameras, (my jacket and keys were stolen from WHC along with a car when asked to look at the security camera they said it was a DUMMY... which i'm still bitter about)
8. lots of cardio equipment
9. 24hrs on weekdays
10. no hood rats... yet...

cons
1. no towel service but i never really trust the towels at WHC i use them to dry my car
2. lack of benchs but i think if enough people ask for more benches i think they will get some
3. lack of chin up bars
4.getting into beacon hill is kinda a pain not really well planned to handle the traffic
5.trainers only section, i guess this is a benefit if you pay more for the trainer but not to me
6.static in the head phone jacks on cardio equipment... i dont know im just trying to think of stuff to list...
7.lifting area is smaller
8.people cant seem to put the weights back where they found them so you kinda have to look for the weights you want...

B69
09-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Another major con is lots of break in recently ive noticed. I know of 2 this week were locks were cut, just a heads up. I'm sure this happens at every gym tho.

6.static in the head phone jacks on cardio equipment... i dont know im just trying to think of stuff to list...
Sense day one its been like this but nothing has been done.

Con
- Dumbells only go to 100lbs.
- Only one squat rack and its something you would find in someones basement.
- Gym is really geared towards upper body, legs is just brutal space and equipment wise.
- Ugliest large banner posters on the walls and throughout the gym

Overall still a good gym and hopefully in time things improve.

r1_boii
09-29-2010, 12:37 AM
which ymca are u at?

crowfoot ymca is probably the best gym in calgary for weight lifting

goodlife fitness has been more or less a female designed gym it was only lately that it turned to unisex thats why theres so many cardio machines and not that many weights geared for weight lifters.

nagooro
09-29-2010, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by r1_boii
which ymca are u at?

goodlife fitness has been more or less a female designed gym it was only lately that it turned to unisex thats why theres so many cardio machines and not that many weights geared for weight lifters.
It was crowfoot YMCA. Canceled my membership though, now at goodlife.
Have you checked out the beacon hill goodlife? I find it far more superior than the ymca, yes it has more cardio machines, but also find that it has a lot more machines/weights for the people who want to lift weights.

Have already recognized quite a few people who I previously saw at the YMCA on a regular basis, but have now made the switch to goodlife.

To me it seems like goodlife has everything ymca has, plus more. (as far as whats on the weight floor). I guess to each there own.

CivicTunr
10-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Im at goodlife in saskatoon, I like it. Cant comment on the ones in calgary yet. but im coming to calgary oct10-19, so ill try all the goodlifes in calgary.

One thing i dont like about the calgary goodlifes (from googling) looks like alot of womens only gyms which i find stupid. PITA for driving, cause my family lives in the mount royal/parkhill area. So some driving for me. :(

Was a WHC member (right on macleod trail and 42) i never paid for it cause i was in highschool/uni and it was a xmas present for me one year. But one thing i like about goodlife, is everyone is friendly and talks to you. (while my gym anyways) i know everyone at the front desk, and they are all friendly and have convo's so its nice to know your a person and not a membership #.

.jl-
12-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Anyone know what student memberships they have at goodlife? I currently work out at SAIT and looking for a new gym that is close to my house cause SAIT's gym sucks

gqmw
12-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by r1_boii
which ymca are u at?

Crowfoot ymca is definitely not the best gym for weightlifting, they're missing a lot of specialty machines that Gold's has.

I've also heard that goodlife is also not geared towards weight lifters, but more towards people looking to get in shape/fit. But I will go do a few days trial and check it out myself.

nagooro
12-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by .jl-
Anyone know what student memberships they have at goodlife? I currently work out at SAIT and looking for a new gym that is close to my house cause SAIT's gym sucks

Don't think they have any student pricing. I signed up in Sept for a 2 year contract, I think I am paying ~$45/month.

Originally posted by gqmw

Crowfoot ymca is definitely not the best gym for weightlifting, they're missing a lot of specialty machines that Gold's has.

I've also heard that goodlife is also not geared towards weight lifters, but more towards people looking to get in shape/fit. But I will go do a few days trial and check it out myself.
Been there a few months now, and seems like the equipment caters to everyone. Only minor issue I have had is the lack of power racks. Otherwise, pretty happy with the switch from the Ymca to goodlife.

potatopineapple
01-02-2011, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by ApexDrift
i was at WHC edgemont for 9 years and im glad i made the jump...

pros

4. $44 to $70... $26 in savings

If you prepay for 2 years in advance with WHC, it's $34/month plus they throw in an extra month for free. Plus there are alot more WHC/CF locations.

bigbadboss101
01-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Goodlife in Beacon Hill. Still one squat rack?

Dren
01-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Does Goodlife in Beacon Hill charge yearly maintenance or admin fees ?

iron_man888
01-10-2013, 11:12 AM
3 squat racks, 2 smith squat (+ 1 squat rack in the trainers area)