PDA

View Full Version : Reliability of E46 M3

911fever
09-19-2010, 11:56 PM
So on the E46 M3, I've driven them extensively, and after driving one here (in Toronto GTA), I've decided i like the car a lot more than in Calgary, it feels much faster here than in Alberta, and there's a lot more twisties around here - because lets face it, it's a slow car.
All E46 M3 owners out there, chip in your thoughts on reliability on this car.. I'm looking at buying an 03.5+ manual 6 speed coupe. Is the sports package worth it? How reliable has it been? Was a valve adjustment very pricey?

Jetta-2.0
09-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by 911fever
So on the E46 M3, I've driven them extensively, and after driving one here (in Toronto GTA), I've decided i like the car a lot more than in Calgary, it feels wayy faster and there's a lot more twisties around here - because lets face it, it's a slow car.
All E46 M3 owners out there, chip in your thoughts on reliability on this car.. I'm looking at buying an 03.5+ manual 6 speed coupe. Is the sports package worth it? How reliable has it been? Was a valve adjustment very pricey?

im holding my breath.... but you do know that the climates are diff here in calgary then in ont and its going to feel faster cuz the air is more dry there :clap:

also for reliability its really good, depends on how u treat it and how u drive but since u say u feel it much faster then in calgary then i dont think the car is going to be reliabile in ur hands :clap:

benyl
09-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Wow, that big lake in Toronto will surely make it more dry there... :banghead:

911fever
09-20-2010, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by benyl

:rofl:

Jetta-2.0
09-20-2010, 01:02 AM

so the weather in ont is the same as in calgary ur saying :guns:

Disoblige
09-20-2010, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I was like wtf?.. :banghead:

Disoblige
09-20-2010, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Jetta-2.0

No he is not. :)

vengie
09-20-2010, 01:06 AM

No. Toronto is MUCH more humid than it is here in Calgary.

Wrinkly
09-20-2010, 01:40 AM
LOL :D

ryder_23
09-20-2010, 01:42 AM

You're on fire with your posts lately. :facepalm:

mobius
09-20-2010, 07:39 AM

What you meant to say is that Toronto is much closer to sea level, which means the air is more dense. On a naturally aspirated car, this equates to moar noticeable powah.

R-Audi
09-20-2010, 07:39 AM
The car would actually be physically slower here... due to the altitude.. not the humidity. We are nearly 4k ft above sea level....

CapnCrunch
09-20-2010, 07:49 AM

:rofl:

911fever
09-20-2010, 09:27 AM
anyways, back on topic. How's the reliability on a whole, how much per year on maintainence? I've checked all the Bimmer forums on reliability, I'm just looking to get an estimate from local E46 M3 owners.

rage2
09-20-2010, 09:31 AM
It's not too bad. It's just when things break, it's fucking expensive. Makes Benz maintenance feel cheap.

SMG pump
Alternator
Coils (recall item)
Rear subframe ($$$$$)
2nd and 3rd gear synchros

Those are the big fails I can think of off the top of my head.

benyl
09-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Don't forget

Vanos
window regulators
Door unlock / Hazard switch is likely to break
Even with low torque, still eats rear tires.

And any other E46 issue that is not specific to the M3.

bastardchild
09-20-2010, 09:40 AM
I have a 6 speed manual and have yet to encounter anything big. Just make sure the one you purchase has been well maintained by its previous owners.

I find that oil changes and regular maintenance stuff are more expensive than most cars.

Muji
09-20-2010, 09:47 AM
If you need to ask.... buy something less German. Nice cars* though, with the right wallet.

Bring
My
Wallet

*they are great cars overall (more of an M5 guy myself) if you can put away a couple grand a year for what is coming in repair bills. And it will come.

rage2
09-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Oh ya oil changes. You have to use BMW's oil for warranty, so it's retarded expensive. Once warranty is up you can switch to something else though.

I believe HPF recommends different oils.

Lex350
09-20-2010, 10:00 AM

wow.......there are no words for how retarded this statement is.

CapnCrunch
09-20-2010, 10:23 AM

It's even worse with the dry air out east.

Graham_A_M
09-20-2010, 05:13 PM

Bingo :thumbsup:

Originally posted by ryder_23

You're on fire with your posts lately. :facepalm:

Dude, its always been like this. Even back when he was a newbie he threatened to bash somebodies head in with a brick; for merely insulting his religion. :nut: I forget the thread but....

redline
09-20-2010, 05:20 PM
I've had my M3 for just about three years now and just done regular maintenance, no issues in 18k kms of driving year around….

bastardchild
09-20-2010, 07:49 PM

250 ft lbs is low torque?

The s2000 & RX-8 have low torque! Less than 200 ft lbs.

ragu
09-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by redline
I've had my M3 for just about three years now and just done regular maintenance, no issues in 18k kms of driving year around….

That's barely any driving in 3 years.

If you check bmw forums everyone would make it out to be honda with a bit expensive parts to replace.

911fever: you had e36 m3 and you know it was a pain to maintain it so why go with e46 lol

RX_EVOLV
09-20-2010, 11:02 PM
what are some good BMW forums to visit ? ( and a good Canada for sale forum)

Graham_A_M
09-20-2010, 11:04 PM
www.bimmerpost.com

911fever
09-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by ragu

If you check bmw forums everyone would make it out to be honda with a bit expensive parts to replace.

911fever: you had e36 m3 and you know it was a pain to maintain it so why go with e46 lol

because I love BMW's handling, it fits my budget, and it's a fun car to daily drive and track. This car hopefully will be less to maintain on average than an E36 (E36's are so unreliable), but likely will cost more when maintaining it.

xviper
09-21-2010, 09:13 AM
18K kms .................. That's not much of a testamonial for any car, let alone a BMW. A Lada could run its first 18K with no issues. Does that make a Lada comparable to a BMW?
You see these "reliability" questions asked in every car forum there is. Almost always, some doof comes up with the statement, "Yeah, mine has been trouble free for 3000 kms now. What a great car." WOW, that makes me wanna go out and buy one right there and then. 18K is but a pimple on a wart on the face of any car's odometer.

We all know that Calgary's elevation is the same as Toronto, right? Actually, isn't it just slightly below that of the Grand Canyon? :nut:
Of course the air in Toronto is more dense. The air here in Calgary is a lot smarter.

Dryer in Toronto? Is it a Kenmore? How many cases of Chap Stick can you sell there compared to Calgary? Butt balm at the gay rodeo! Now, we're talking.
We all know that Great Lake is just an illusion. We have that massive Bow River to keep our humidity up. :thumbsup: I've touched it. It feels really wet to me.

911fever
09-21-2010, 01:53 PM
^ wtf haha?

redline
09-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ragu

the car has 48-49k km on it total, i drive it almost every day.... that is just how far i drive and my experience...

parts are very expensive for this car.... i bought a set of front rotors and pads from some discount online place(factory) for $700, dealer was $1500 just for the parts...

My free maintance just ran out in spring and i have warranty for another couple of years but i am only going to keep the car another year tops before i move on.

SilverGS
09-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Unless you really get unlucky with a lemon almost every car is going to be hassle free for the first 50k km. It's the over 100k km I would worry about if you keep the car that long.

Had a 323 and had way more maintenance and repairs required for it than any other car I have had starting around 140k km. Plus repairs and maintanence are expensive expecially if you don't DIY.

BMW's are fantatic cars to drive but you may be paying for it in the long run

Graham_A_M
09-21-2010, 07:11 PM
^ Thats why I sold my Z4, 100k kms, and I was sick of the idiotic repairs.

$1500 to repair faulty rear diff bushings, and driveline support bearing? :banghead: :banghead:

EVERY few months, something else would go it.
Right after I sold it; I was truly amazed just how broke that fucking car kept me, man it felt good to have spare change again. I dont think I'll ever buy another BMW, as most people I talked to have the same issues with their 3 or 5 series.
Sure there are the odd cars & SUV's that are reliable and problem free, but Im not willing to sift through a half dozen lemons to find that somewhat reliable BMW. :nut:
Nice cars to have, just not for everyday vehicles...

Just way too expensive to own for what they're worth and what they are IMHO.

benyl
09-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Just buy new and sell before the warranty is up. Probably end up spending close to the same... haha

SI_futbol
09-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
m3forum.net is the best hands down.

check out the stickies, they'll have all the info you need to know

jaylo
05-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Sorry to bring up this thread as I am on the market as well

There are also known VANOS issues (all S54 engines) where the lobe breaks off the part and could cause major issues

Broken Tab
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=389383

Broken tab poll
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=3577

Dr. Vanos
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=385562

BUYERS Guide

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=189390

DEATH2000
05-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
The most important one:

www.projecttechnik.com Alberta based forums
www.maxbimmer.com Canadian, based out of GTA.

www.bimmerwerkz.com
www.unitedbimmer.com
www.bimmerfest.com
www.bimmerforums.com/forums
www.e36-tech.net
www.e46fanatics.com

DTM Power.net has been super dead latley and filled with spam.