PDA

View Full Version : What do you need to get into car sales?

Shlade
09-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Been realling considering applying at a few dealerships since cars are a big passion for me and I love customer service.

I personally beleive I would be good at it for a little while until I figure out what I wanna do with my life. What should my first steps me?

Would it hurt going into a few dealerships, getting to know the manager and talk with him for a bit and see how things are? Any sort of schooling needed?

TIA

kvg
09-20-2010, 11:23 AM
It's a good biz I did it for a while. I've been in sales for 12 hrs and did car sales for 1 yr. The people at the dealer I worked at were great, but the customer act as if your just trying to rip them off. I am an extremely honest person and I do understand not all people in that biz are, but the way the structure of the sale is done it does pit customer against the employee at some point of the experience. That being said it wasn't for me long term I chose to return to me previous field of sales(with better position and pay:) ), there many people that love car sales and choose it for a career.

Good luck.

Sorath
09-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Tough Gig right now to get into, i would stay far away personally

not really tough to get into the industry but tough to survive

masoncgy
09-20-2010, 07:17 PM
You need to have the natural ability to sell... not everyone has it... except the best in the business.

If you find it easy to persuade people to do things for you, get things for you, etc in your everyday life... then you have it. ;)

AE92_TreunoSC
09-20-2010, 07:41 PM
High turn over rate at dealers. Ego's and work ethic to blame I think.

I wish car sales had more prerequirements then knowing the sales manager...

85regal
09-20-2010, 08:02 PM
most of the sales guys now are long timers..have good client base, tough to complete with that with sales still in the toilet. Thats why there is a huge turn over with young guys in sales..

dj_rice
09-20-2010, 08:10 PM
One sales guy I knew, he was slinging cars left and right, he would have 40 cars sold in one month when even the good salesguys were selling 15-20 cars/month. I was amazed, till one day he got busted for trafficking cocaine, and then it all made sense. Client base is key :rofl:

Tik-Tok
09-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
What do you need to get into car sales?

No ethics
No morals
No remorse
No soul

The 4 key elements to any good salesman.

AndyL
09-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Don't forget - no tells :) Wouldn't want those clients to know when you're lying :D

You've gotta be either really good at sales (ice to eskimo types) and/or you've gotta have a HUGE personal list of contacts - of people who'd actually buy cars...

Got a friend who could sell ice to eskimos - master salesman in all ways; but he couldn't cut it - didn't have enough contacts to keep him busy... The most successful one I know - has a HUGE network of contacts - his receptionist was telling me he gets 5-6 serious buyers coming to ask for him by name every day.

SRT
09-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Car sales is a process of processes...you will need a likable personality, sales skills and CLOSING skills.

If the shop isn't busy you will have a hard go though.

T-Dubbs
09-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Canyon creek toyota is looking for a new sales guy

SRT
09-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs
Canyon creek toyota is looking for a new sales guy

Might have something to do with them being down 30% in sales

ronrey
09-21-2010, 11:57 AM
The following qualifications are needed to be a car salesman:

1. High School dropout, (low IQ is an asset but not required)
2. Small penis envy
3. Zero ambition in life
4. Inflated ego
5. Low self esteem

If you currently possess the above you are set! Good luck....

Redlyne_mr2
09-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Woah.. pretty harsh from some of you, sounds like you've been burnt in the past.

I've worked in almost every position in a dealership and basically you need to have your act together and be organized. Those who are successful at a dealership understand micro economics and what it takes to run a small business. You are the face of the brand you are representing and if you've not able to market yourself as that you will fail. Walk the talk is also very important, it's easy to sell one car, hard to sell two.

Shlade
09-21-2010, 02:00 PM
definetly some harsh ones in here lol.

Didnt think it was that bad.. Ive met some really good salesman which made me think of getting into this for a little while! I love cars and know enough about them and love researching about them.

And with my current job its really tought me how to listen to people well, what they want, their concerns, questions etc...

Hell its something I can give a try for a little bit... If at first you dont succeed, Keep trying.

Im young.. The world is mine to explore and this is just something im looking to step into and give a good try!

Being able to dress nicely is a plus aswell haha

coal_troll
09-22-2010, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

No ethics
No morals
No remorse
No soul

BOOOO YA thank you. I have 2 friends that currently sell cars at different stealerships, one is a greasy consciousless fuck who, truthfully it's hard even being his friend, and the other is just an all around great guy who works hard and is a genuinely good person. And guess what?

coal_troll
09-22-2010, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Woah.. pretty harsh from some of you, sounds like you've been burnt in the past.

I've worked in almost every position in a dealership and basically you need to have your act together and be organized. Those who are successful at a dealership understand micro economics and what it takes to run a small business. You are the face of the brand you are representing and if you've not able to market yourself as that you will fail. Walk the talk is also very important, it's easy to sell one car, hard to sell two.

That in itself is a sales pitch to encourage OP. I see right through you buddy. First off, if you guys even had even a clue about running a small business you'd all be on it since money is all that matters to salespeople. And micro managing is a key to failure in any business setting. I don't know how you guys sleep at night manipulating people's minds until they sign the next 5 years of their life to you. Way to go :thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
09-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by coal_troll

That in itself is a sales pitch to encourage OP. I see right through you buddy. First off, if you guys even had even a clue about running a small business you'd all be on it since money is all that matters to salespeople. And micro managing is a key to failure in any business setting. I don't know how you guys sleep at night manipulating people's minds until they sign the next 5 years of their life to you. Way to go :thumbsup:

You don't know me and if you did you know that I also own a small business but it's seasonal so the car industry works out perfectly for me. When did I ever say that micro managing a business was important? I said the understanding of micro economics is important, 2 very very different things. You're right micro managing is the death of business when you have employees working for you. I got into the business to change the image that people had/have of the car industry. I treat every client I have as if they were me or part of my family. I offer my services to Beyonders so that they have a hookup when they need to buy a BMW and I'll make sure they're taken care of. I've never burried a client in a loan or sold them a car beyond there means. The only drag about the business is trying to make everything go smoothly and if a car breaks or has problems it's important to me that it all gets taken care of properly.

Speaking of sleazy you should stop hiding behind this second account of yours and post under your normal username. Gives you a bit more credibility:thumbsup:

Sorry if you've been ripped off in the past btw.

A790
09-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by coal_troll

Dude, you are way out of line here. What right do you have to rip into a guy when you don't know him, his business practices, or how he conducts himself? Redlyne is not only a stand up guy, but he's also an honest one.

Car sales is like any other sales environment: you're going to get the good with the bad. Hell, any workplace setting has that. I've dealt with amazing car salesmen before, and I've also been ripped off. That doesn't mean I'm going to paint them all with the same brush and live my life according to the stereotype that I've created for them.

I understand if you've got a point to make, but ripping into Redlyne to make it is not self-serving in any capacity. It doesn't further your point, and at the same time, it does showcase the kind of person that you are.

max_boost
09-22-2010, 11:45 AM
redlyne_mr2 is a good guy.

freshprince1
09-22-2010, 12:12 PM
I think 911Fever is in car sales right now. You could try a PM to him and see what he says.

Redlyne_mr2
09-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
I think 911Fever is in car sales right now. You could try a PM to him and see what he says.

Thanks guys, I think 911fever is a bit jaded by the industry and he works with a poorly run dealership so he's probably not the best person to ask lol.

InRich
09-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

No ethics
No morals
No remorse
No soul

how you enjoying working at that cubical of yours? be honest.

X_EVO_X
09-22-2010, 02:17 PM
WOW. I cant believe this thread. Any industry any where there are shady people , good people, people you like or people you dont like, but to classify all car sales people as The following qualifications are needed to be a car salesman

"1. High School dropout, (low IQ is an asset but not required)
2. Small penis envy
3. Zero ambition in life
4. Inflated ego
5. Low self esteem

If you currently possess the above you are set! Good luck...."

Is just crazy. . I went to university, dont have any issues with the size of my penis, have alot of ambition, no ego issues and my self esteem is just fine. Un believable....

Anyone who has ever dealt with me at Platinum feel free to correct me if im wrong but I take my job very seriously and passionatly and do my best to help people out. To the kid looking for a job in the car buisness just go around with your resume and hand it to the sales managers or reception with your contact info.

coal_troll
09-22-2010, 08:45 PM

You don't know me and if you did you know that I also own a small business but it's seasonal so the car industry works out perfectly for me. When did I ever say that micro managing a business was important? I said the understanding of micro economics is important, 2 very very different things. You're right micro managing is the death of business when you have employees working for you. I got into the business to change the image that people had/have of the car industry. I treat every client I have as if they were me or part of my family. I offer my services to Beyonders so that they have a hookup when they need to buy a BMW and I'll make sure they're taken care of. I've never burried a client in a loan or sold them a car beyond there means. The only drag about the business is trying to make everything go smoothly and if a car breaks or has problems it's important to me that it all gets taken care of properly.

Speaking of sleazy you should stop hiding behind this second account of yours and post under your normal username. Gives you a bit more credibility:thumbsup:

You and EVO may very well be decent people, then again all salespeople will claim to be. I sincerely, truthfully apologize for my attack in this thread, unwarranted cuz I don't know anybody on here, and quite frankly don't care to, this site is a joke and time-killer and nothing more to me. Yes I did get hosed pretty bad the one and only time I bought a new-ish vehicle from a stealership so I have a wall around me which even the best salesperson will not get past. In the end let's face it. The goal is, GET THEIR MONEY. You train for sales the way athletes train for the Gold. Is this not true?

Plus I didn't realize a beamer was a "need" lmao... If a 100k sports car is a "need", now THAT speaks to true character and I feel sorry for anybody who "needs" a beamer.

Second account? Well I wish I could post under my real username, it's no longer possible hahaha plus the crap stuck beneath my work boots means more to me than credibility on here.

EK 2.0
09-22-2010, 09:28 PM

OH SNAP!!

I have worked in the auto sales industry...and I LOVED it...No, I never "manipulated peoples minds" in order to make a sale. In fact my selling method was never even to sell a car to a customer or client. They told me everything they wanted and I presented them with choices. The same way you would pick out what you want to have for lunch off of a menu.

You got to meet new people every single day...talk to and learn about those people, and so many aspects of the world.

No, I am not going to say there are not "shady", "sleazy", "only out to make a buck" types of sales people and managers...I always steered clear of them, and would laugh when the customers they sold to come back time and again with problems...

And like was mentioned in this thread...EVERY industry has the types of people that are negatively associated with a job title...

No, I will not be nice like Redlyne and apologise for you being burned by a salesperson in the past...But, I will apologise for the fact you have a mind that is easy to manipulate...

Shlade
09-23-2010, 09:56 PM
What a douche..

Thanks for the reply guys. Evo ill take you on your offer and in the new year ill go to as many dealerships as I can and speak to some managers and figure out where I can take this.

Rat Fink
09-25-2010, 01:16 PM

Sorath
09-25-2010, 01:29 PM
so much hate in this thread. As i was saying before, it probably is not the smartest decision to get into car sales now. I think everyone in the industry would tell you the same thing